• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBALive 2006 is coming out too early

Blunt91

they are just giving them the "next gen" title instead of the retread title of 06. They arent building completely different versions for the 360 than what they did for the xBox and PS2. They are just dumbing down a lot of features for the 06 version that is out right now because the consoles cant handle those graphics. The "next gen" thing is just a marketing ploy that they are using to sell the games so people dont feel like they are buying the same game again.

By the way, every single review I have read or seen on TV says that graphically speaking there wont be a unit in this world that will compare to the PS3. It will have TWO video cards in it unlike any console ever seen and better than 99% of any PC out there. As far as what I understand, the only thing that will be better about the 360 is the online portion that xBox has, which is apparently where they have invested most of their time in this new machine, as well as trying to keep it from being hackable. On the flipside, Sony has put the majority of their time into making it graphically unbelievable.

• Admin

To build a game that looks that much better than the current versions, they would HAVE to build completely different versions. They would have to have two completely distinct sets of models, textures and artwork. It would also require a completely different engine to back it up. Because in one version you would have ultra high res models with layered textures that are modeled in real time, independantly from the underlying model (a jersey that moves on its own, over the players body). You can't simply dumb down that level of detail for a lesser machine so much without breaking game mechanics.

Besides, If those features were already there and just disabled for the lesser xbox/ps2, at least SOME of them would be available for the PC version. The PC versions are designed to scale from high-end to low-end. They would put options in there so that people with high-end pc's could turn them on. That, along with seeing the movies and knowing a thing or two about 3d engines, tells me that we're dealing with a completely know architecture for these "next gen" versions. THey may well release them and call them 06. But if they look ANYTHING CLOSE to what's on display in those movies. The only thing they will share with the current 06 titles is the name.

I think you're mistaken about your ps3 specs. I've read as much as anyone and the majority of what is out there is pure speculation. One of the few verified facts is that they are using a slightly modified version of the nvidia 7800 GTX chip. This is the same chip that is currently available in PC cards and retails for $499+. Unless they plan on charging $600+ for a ps3, they aren't putting two of them in their console. Also, i've read stuff from lots of developers who are developing for BOTH consoles. I've never heard mention of anything to do with SLI (dual GPU's). Something like that would have been leaked 100 times over by now.

Everything I've read says that the two consoles will be nearly identical in 3d capabilities. Knowing what I know about the evolution of GPU's, I find no reason to suspect otherwise. ATI and Nvidia have been neck and neck in performance for the last five years. THe chip that ATI made for the xbox 360 is a slightly modified version of their "next gen" PC part, which will be released shortly. By all early accounts it will be equal to or slightly faster (percentage points) out of the gate than the currently available nvidia part.

When you factor in moores law, which nobody on the planet has broken yet and some basic knowledge of the graphics card industry, it's absurd to believe that the PS3 will be anything more than slightly faster than the xbox 360, if anything.

I could go on and on.. yah..I'm a gaming geek.