• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA Live 2006......EA should be ASHAMED

Admin

of themselves. This is without a doubt the WORST game (any game) I have seen in 5 years. The graphics look like they belong on Live 95. I cant believe I spent 50 bucks on this game tonight. It is so bad that within 2 minutes of playing I turned it off and will never play it again. I cannot express how terrible this game is.

Does anyone else have it? Any thoughts on it?

Reading a lot of online reviews has led me to believe that there are 2 groups, those that love it and those that hate it. I have been a diehard since Live first came on the scene and I hate that I am not happy with this years version. I really enjoyed 2005 and felt the graphics were pretty good. This years just look horrible. Many of the stats are very small, blurry, and hard to read. The court looks like a cartoon. The players are zoomed out and blurry looking. To me it looks NOTHING like the grahpics on the back cover.

I've been a 2k follower since , well, 2000, but I got Live this year. Yes the graphics are a little flat, and the thing that pisses me off to no end is that the score is unreadable. Is that a 5? a 6? a 8? a 9? I don't know they all look the same

As far as gameplay, I couldn't believe how sh!tty it was when I first played and I felt kind of like you. But after adjusting the sliders to a set that I found online (except I made shooting a little easier than they suggested) and getting used to it for a couple weeks, it is an extremely fun game to play. My only real beef is that you can't see the plays that you can call like in 2K. Meaning there is nowhere to see an animated version of what the play should look like, which you can do in 2k.

Other than that I really like it.

Also you can create Batista and Stoudamire. People have already done the work and posted how to do it online. Except I gave Salim more 3 power than they suggested.

Anyhow, I'll PROBABLY go back to 2k next year, but this game is alot of fun once you get used to it.

Where did you find the settings to customize it? I did a quick search and didnt come up with anything.

One thing that did help last night when I went back and played again was changing from the default camera view to the half court view and zoom in a little.

Definitely my biggest complaint is that you cant read a lot of the stats. I cant believe that a company could release a game that is this popular and have that happen. Unless you have a huge plasma TV the stats are practically unreadable.

Oh and I think the hiring of assistant coaches is just plain dumb. Why cant I use the assistants that the Hawks use?

I cant speak for the PC version. Its very likely that you have much higher resolution and a much better video card than the PS2. What Lascar was saying about not being able to tell if a number was a 5,6,8,9 is VERY true. Thats my big complaint about the graphics. Everything just seems so blurry. I have never played a game and seen that before, at least not in recent years.

They did do some good things this year that I am noticing. It seems that the ice skating problem has gotten much better. The insane amount of blocked shots against jump shooters seems to have been solved as well. In fact, I would say that using the default settings its pretty difficult to block shots (at least with ZaZa it is LOL).

Quote:

Where did you find the settings to customize it? I did a quick search and didnt come up with anything.

Not sure if you mean where online, or where in the game.

Here are the sliders I used:

-------------------------------------

Settings

All-Star

9 min quarters

Shot Control: user

CPU Assistance: no

Global Sliders

Game Speed: 43

FT Diff.: 51

Boundary Force: 41

Injury Freq: 60

Fatigue Effect: 55

Charge/Block: 60

Shooting Foul: 59

Reach In Foul: 37

In-Air Collision: 88

User Sliders

Steal: 35

Intercept: 39

Block: 19

Dunk/Layup Block: 26

Freestyle Effect. 41

Dunk Vs Layup: 53

Sub Freq. 55

on-Ball def. 42

off. rebounding: 60

def. rebounding: 81

Fakeout Disc. 93

Short Range: 35

Medium Range: 34

Long Range: 33

Dunk %: 45

Layup %: 74

Adjusted Shot%: 46

On-Ball physical def: 53

Poor Release: 40

Double Team eff. 50

Pro Hop Effect: 25

Drop Step Effect: 25

CPU Sliders

Steal: 11

Intercet: 13

Shot Block: 10

Dunk/Layup: 26

Freestyel: 47

Dunk: 58

Substiion: 55

Offen. Rebound. : 35

def. rebound. 69

Fakout Discipline: 69

Short Range:34

Medium Range: 33

Long Range: 22

Dunk: 48

Layup 74

Adjusted shot: 34

Ajusted Shot Freq: 40

On Ball def: 37

poor release: 29

Double team: 52

Pro hop effect:21

Drop step: effect: 25

------------------------------------------

I changed it a little. I use 5 minutes, not 9. I also turned all the user shooting sliders up, because it was impossible to make shots (especially 3s) and there is a good bit of jump shooting in the NBA.

As for Salim, this was what I used to create him. I changed the stats from the suggested ones to make him much better than 65 overall:

-------------------------------------------

Credit: bestkeptsecret13

Sliders from middle unless otherwise noted.

Face

Template: 3

Cheeks & Ears

Cheek Size: 3 Right

Cheek Style: 1 Left from Far Right

Ear Height: 2 Right

Ear Width: 2 Right

Ear Style: 4 Right from Far Left

Chin & Jaw

Chin Position: 3 Left

Chin Protrusion: 4 Left

Chin Width: 2 Left

Jaw Position: 4 Right

Jaw Width: Far Left

Eye Brows

Brow Position: Far Right

Brow Protrusion: 4 Right

Brow Tilt: 5 Right

Brow Thickness: Far Right

Brow Separation: 2 Left

Brow Style: Far Right

Brow Color: Far Right

Eyes

Eye Position: 3 Left

Eye Tilt: 3 Right

Eye Shape: 2 Left

Eye Separation: 2 Right

Eye Color: 2 Right from Far Left

Mouth & Neck

Mouth Position: Middle

Mouth Protrusion: 4 Right

Mouth Width: 3 Right

Mouth Style: 1 Left from Far Right

Upper Lip Shape: Middle

Upper Lip Thickness: 2 Right

Lower Lip Shape: 2 Left

Lower Lip Thickness: 2 Right

Neck Thickness: 3 Left

Nose

Nose Position: Middle

Nose Protrusion: Far Right

Nose Width: Middle

Nose Shape: 2 Left

Tip Position: Middle

Tip Protrusion: Middle

Tip Width: Middle

Tip Shape: Middle

Nose Style: 7 Right from Far Left

Hair & Skin

Facial Hair Style: Far Left

Facial Hair Color: Far Right

Hair Style: 1 Right from Far Left

Hair Color: Far Right

Forehead Style: 2 Left from Far Right

Body

Body Type: Medium

Muscle Definition: Normal

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 185lbs

Gear

Head

Shades: None

Headband: None

Logo: None

Left Neck Tattoo: None

Right Neck Tattoo: None

Arms

Left Bicep Accessory: None

Right Bicep Accessory: None

Left Bicep Tattoo: None

Right Bicep Tattoo: None

Left Elbow Accessory: None

Right Elbow Accessory: None

Left Forearm Accessory: None

Right Forearm Accessory: None

Left Forearm Tattoo: None

Right Forearm Tattoo: None

Left Wrist Accessory: None

Right Wrist Accessory: None

Left Finger Strap: None

Right Finger Strap: None

Body

Compression Shorts: Team Shorts

Shorts Length: Long

Legs

Left Knee Accessory: None

Right Knee Accessory: None

Left Calf Accessory: None

Left Calf Tattoo: None

Right Calf Accessory: None

Right Calf Tattoo: None

Feet

Shoes Away: Default

Shoes Home: Default

Sock Style: NBA Medium Low

Information

Bio

First Name: Salim

Last Name: Stoudamire

Birth Year: 1982

Birth Month: October

Birthday: 11

Birth City: Portland

Birth State: Oregon

Primary Position: Point Guard

Secondary Position: Shooting Gaurd

Hand: Left

Team: Atlanta Hawks

Jersey Number: 20

Years Pro: 0

School: Arizona

Salim Stoudamire

Field Goals: 75

3 Pointers: 78

Free Throws: 87

Dunking: 30

Inside Scoring: 24

Off. Rebounds: 5

Jumping: 65

Strength: 30

Quickness: 78

Speed: 78

Passing: 70

Dribbling: 75

Off. Awareness: 65

Def. Rebounds: 44

Stealing: 20

Blocking: 1

Def. Awareness: 55

Stamina: 70

Hardiness: 65

Overall: 65

Thanks. I meant where online did you find the stats, sorry. I will change those sliders tonight when I get home and see if that makes the experience any better.

It just pisses me off to no end that you have to change the game so much right out of the box to make it fun. Madden sure isnt like that. Seems like every year you have to adjust NBA Live so that its not like old school NBA Jam or something.

IMO NBA Live has completely sucked since 2003. Since then its been absolutely terrible from a control and graphics standpoint. I'm not even going to try this one after trying the last two years. I can only speak of the pc versions. Up until 2004 it was a very very solid and enjoyable game. I've been playing since Live 95. The result is that there hasnt been a basketball game for the PC in the last 3 years and who knows how much longer. Sucks....

its a little slow for my tastes now. I am gonna tweak the game speed some to see if I can get it playing a little more smoothly.

Thanks for the settings again Lascar. Now if you can just find a way to fix the blurry text I will be a mostly happy gamer.

• 4 weeks later...

Live did suck. I played it at my friends house and it just got boring. I to his place again yesterday to play against him, but this time he said he had a new, better game. (NBA '06) Well, it looked MUCH better than Live did, and the gameplay itself was better. Then after beating him down 5 times, I browse through the mini games for a bit and to my surprise, they had more than horse. (They had friggin dodgeball [i know, I was freaked out too]) After a few games of dodgeball, I went into the actual story mode. They actually have a story mode, it's shocking. You make your own character, work on his fame and fortune, and work to suceed. (Pretty much like you're living his life) Then after looking through the story, I actually got to play and man, the controls were so smooth. So, after all that, I was mad that I didn't know anyone that played it online. So if you got it, PM me and we can schedule a game online. (Better bring your A-game.)

Ah I agree you should have bought NBA 06. It's so much better than live it's unbelievable. Not only does it have NBA Life mode (you create a fully custom character and play in a story mode, unlock music vids, new endorements, stats, etc, kind of like a game like tony hawk, or even and RPG) but it also has online with updateable rostsers as well as regular Season and tournamnent modes in single player like all sports games have. Oh you nailed it! It also has tons of mini games, dodgeball is great! It's so fun to play when you have a couple of friends around, awesome party game and so much better than Live.