• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top 15 favorite guitarist

Plainview1981

1.Eddie Van Halen(Van Halen)-I realize that he probably isn't the best, and maybe not the most versatile guitarist.. However, he's catchy, fast, and I don't believe he's as unemotional as maybe believe. In fact, he seems like a very emotional type to me.

2.Stevie Ray Vaughan-While he might be somewhat simple, he's very polished and sounds inspired on basically everything he plays on. He plays blues closer to what it supposed to soundlike in my mind.

3.Slash-Guns n Roses/Velvet Revolver)Heck, I'm too tired to explain anymore. Just gunna list'em

4.Chuck Berry

5.Glenn Murdock/Gary Moore(Mothers Finest)

6.B.B King

7.Eric Clapton

8.Angus Young

9.Carlos Santana

10.Prince

11.Jimi Hendrix

12.Rich Robinson/Marc Ford(The Black Crowes)

13.Joe Perry/Brad Whitford(Aerosmith)

14.Randy Rhoades

15.Jeff Healey

You might be saying WTF about 5/12/13, but I think some just have to be listed as a duo.

Randy Rhoads - Ozzy

Dimebag Darrell - Pantera

Steve Vai

Joe Satrianni

Geddy Lee(bass) - Rush

Brad Nowell - Sublime

Adreian Smith - Iron Maiden

David Gilmore - Pink Floyd

Marty Friedman - Megadeth

John Petrucci - Dream Theater

Carlos Santana

Les Claypool(bass) - Primus

Kiko Loureiro - Angra

Dave Murray - Iron Maiden

Stevie Ray Vaughn

• Admin

1. Randy Rhoades

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Muddy Waters/ T-bone walker / robert johnson / BB King / Stevie Ray Vaughn

5. Les Paul

6. George Harrison

7. Jimmy Page

8. Charlie Christian / George Benson, other unmentioned jazz greats.

9. Joe Satriani

10. Tony Iommi

The guys at the top are only there because I play mostly Rock and those were my biggest influences. The other guys are equally as great in their own styles (jazz, blues, etc). Everything you hear today is built off what one of these guys did.

I left lots of guys off that I like and were great players. Guys like Bob Dylan, various spanish guitarists, etc. Prince is one of my favs and is very underrated.

I can't stomach to put any modern day players on there simply because they're just building off what somebody did before them and aren't original or unique (slash). Were it not for the success of their bands, they wouldn't do anything worth noticing.

1 Jimi. No one else is even close

2. Steve Morse: Dixie Dregs. If you have ever seen this guy live then you know what I am talking about

3. Frank Zappa: People forget about this musical genius. Taught Steve Vai how to play

4. Larry Carlton: Played on lots of the Steely Dan stuff

5. Carlos Santana

6. Jimmy Page

7. David Gilmour

8. Steve Howe: Yes is a killer band

9. Brian May: Queen. Watch Live at Wembley on DVD. Nuff said

10.Eric Johnson: Steve Morse's favorite guitar player

11.Pete Townshend The Who is my alltime number 1 favorite band

12.Chet Atkins: Great player Rest in Peace

13.Stevie Ray: Should be higher but I do not want to change my list this late

14.Eddie: Great player. At one time was relevant. No longer. Shame

15. Clapton: See comments RE: Stevie Ray

Quote:

1. Randy Rhoades

2. Jimi Hendrix

3. Eddie Van Halen

4. Muddy Waters/ T-bone walker / robert johnson / BB King / Stevie Ray Vaughn

5. Les Paul

6. George Harrison

7. Jimmy Page

8. Charlie Christian / George Benson, other unmentioned jazz greats.

9. Joe Satriani

10. Tony Iommi

The guys at the top are only there because I play mostly Rock and those were my biggest influences. The other guys are equally as great in their own styles (jazz, blues, etc). Everything you hear today is built off what one of these guys did.

I left lots of guys off that I like and were great players. Guys like Bob Dylan, various spanish guitarists, etc. Prince is one of my favs and is very underrated.

I can't stomach to put any modern day players on there simply because they're just building off what somebody did before them and aren't original or unique (slash). Were it not for the success of their bands, they wouldn't do anything worth noticing.

Well, everybody has influences man. Mark Tremonti is a pretty good gutarist.

Eddie was influenced by Clapton and Chet Atkins.

One guy I DON'T like is Malmstreem. For the life of me I can't get into anything that he has ever done.

Stevie Ray Vaughan has one of the best sounds live IMO. Well, I haven't saw him live, but I've seen the Live at Montreux 1982 & 1985 videos and others... While he might mot be the most original player, I'd bet money most guitarist would kill to sound as good live as Stevie did.

Btw, here's a great video of Eddie playing Eruption from the Balance tour.

http://rapidshare.de/files/2734968/Van_Hal...uption.mpg.html

• Admin

Of course everyone has influences. Good guitarists are dime a dozen these days. I was in a guitar store on friday buying a new guitar and there was like 5 kids in there who were amazing guitar players. But they're just running through scales or playing other peoples licks. To be a great guitarist you have to do something unique, something that hasn't been done before. That's why EVH is considered a great guitarist. He took his influences and made them into something unique. Same thing for Jimi, Randy, SRV, etc.

I don't really hear that from anyone these days. That doesn't mean I don't like their music. But I wouldn't consider them favorites. Creed is just generic rock to me. That's not a knock on them though. They have good songs and all. Same goes for bands like Nirvana, pearl jam, etc. There's nothing about most of their individual musicians that makes them stand out. They are a product of their band, not any individual greatness.

Yngwie is a great guitarist who never could figure out how to play slow enough that it sounded natural. He's just blowing through stuff so fast most people think it's a synth or something. I've heard lots of good stuff from him. But it's just novelty music like, WOW that guy has great technique, NEXT.

• Admin

SRV was great and was original in his way. He was probably the most original imitiation of jimi hendrix blues/rock style that there has been. He got knocked by a lot of people that said his playing didn't have any soul. But I disagree. Great player, good songwriter, excellent live/improv player.

Quote:

Of course everyone has influences. Good guitarists are dime a dozen these days. I was in a guitar store on friday buying a new guitar and there was like 5 kids in there who were amazing guitar players. But they're just running through scales or playing other peoples licks. To be a great guitarist you have to do something unique, something that hasn't been done before. That's why EVH is considered a great guitarist. He took his influences and made them into something unique. Same thing for Jimi, Randy, SRV, etc.

I don't really hear that from anyone these days. That doesn't mean I don't like their music. But I wouldn't consider them favorites. Creed is just generic rock to me. That's not a knock on them though. They have good songs and all. Same goes for bands like Nirvana, pearl jam, etc. There's nothing about most of their individual musicians that makes them stand out. They are a product of their band, not any individual greatness.

Yngwie is a great guitarist who never could figure out how to play slow enough that it sounded natural. He's just blowing through stuff so fast most people think it's a synth or something. I've heard lots of good stuff from him. But it's just novelty music like, WOW that guy has great technique, NEXT.

Mark isn't in Creed anymore... I hate Creed.. Well, Alter Bridge is Creed but with a different and better singer. Jonny Lang is also a very good guitarist... Some claim he is a Stevie Ray Vaughan wannabe... But for the life of me I don't hear it in his playing.

I agree with Yngwie... He's always came off as purely a hotdog player to me. Joe probably the best of the trio of himself and Vai/Malstreem. His old stuff is really good, but

my favorite is Big Bad Moon... It's sort of a ZZtop like type of song.

Btw, he's got a new album about to come out.

Another underrated guitarist is Steve Stevens the guitarist for Bill Idol.

Quote:

I don't keep up with VH anymore. But you can usually place the year by looking at EVH. He's in one of his fat stages there. Which means he's either drinking heavily or recently back on the wagon!

1995... You haven't kept up with VH lately? I guess you haven't heard the much hated Van Halen III then... No wonder the dude doesn't want to play anymore. He tried to stretch out on that album, but everbody said it sounded nothing like Van Halen..

He does a great Peter Gabriel type of a song in Once... He plays piano on a song.. Yeah, his vocals might be the worst I've ever heard it rock, but hey, he tried to change things up and come with a different album.

Stevie Ray no soul? That's one the dumbest things I've heard.. I honestly think some people confuse some sloppy play with having soul. Seriousally, it seems that more of the flawless playing type of guitarist that get this label.

Back to Eddie. He looks REALLY rough now:

edward_van_halen.jpg

• Moderators

Hard to believe you could make this list and not include Joe Satriani. I agree on Malsteen being overrated primarily because I don't think he has much creativity or "soul" to his playing but I don't think the same of Satch. He has some real diversity to his sound if you have listened to his stuff and is obviously a technical wonder.

Quote:

Hard to believe you could make this list and not include Joe Satriani. I agree on Malsteen being overrated primarily because I don't think he has much creativity or "soul" to his playing but I don't think the same of Satch. He has some real diversity to his sound if you have listened to his stuff and is obviously a technical wonder.

I like Joe, but he's not in a band. I like guitarist much better in a band=) He would make my top 20 though.

• Moderators

Quote:

Randy Rhoads - Ozzy

Dimebag Darrell - Pantera

Steve Vai

Joe Satrianni

Geddy Lee(bass) - Rush

Brad Nowell - Sublime

Adreian
Smith - Iron Maiden

David Gilmore - Pink Floyd

Marty Friedman - Megadeth

John Petrucci - Dream Theater

Carlos Santana

Les Claypool(bass) - Primus

Kiko Loureiro - Angra

Dave Murray - Iron Maiden

Stevie Ray Vaughn

I wouldn't go with everyone on this list but I like it a lot, including the Lee and Claypool inclusions if we are considering bass guitars.

I think the best modern guitarist that have came out the last 15 years would be the following:

Tom Morello

Robert Randolph

Jonny Lang

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Mark Tremonti

Jerry Cantrell

Mike McCready

Can't think of too many more that I think should be mentioned.

I'm not really huge on 90's rock so forgive me if I've missed someone=)