• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

oblivion is cool

chillzatl

• Moderators

Marginal, probably not enough on the vid card and ram I am guessing.

Dimesion 5150 Computer

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz,800FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition

Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)

Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard

Monitor 17 inch E173FP Analog Flat Panel

Video Cards 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory

Internal Hard Drives 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

• Admin

You could get by with the ram. Ram is so cheap though, you should pick up an extra 512 just because. Not sure about the vid card. You could probably play it at a lower resolution though. Either 800x600 or maybe 1024x768.

I'm running an athlon 64 3200, oc'd to 3500 and an Nvidia 6600GT oc'd and I can run the game at 1280x1024 with some detail options down, some off and some all the way up. I have no complaints. Even at those settings the graphics are some of the best I've seen. The environments are insane. I spent 15 minutes last night staring at the moon and stars!

• Moderators

Quote:

You could get by with the ram. Ram is so cheap though, you should pick up an extra 512 just because. Not sure about the vid card. You could probably play it at a lower resolution though. Either 800x600 or maybe 1024x768.

I'm running an athlon 64 3200, oc'd to 3500 and an Nvidia 6600GT oc'd and I can run the game at 1280x1024 with some detail options down, some off and some all the way up. I have no complaints. Even at those settings the graphics are some of the best I've seen. The environments are insane. I spent 15 minutes last night staring at the moon and stars!

With a Dell can you just buy 512 RAM and plug it in or is there something more complex involved because of the propreitary hardware?

• Admin

you don't have to buy the memory from dell. Try crucial.com, you can put in your model and it will tell you what you need. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if you're using 1 512 stick or tow 256's. I'd suspect 1 512. But might be a good idea to pop it open and look. Then you'll know exactly what you need from crucial.

• Moderators

Quote:

you don't have to buy the memory from dell. Try crucial.com, you can put in your model and it will tell you what you need. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if you're using 1 512 stick or tow 256's. I'd suspect 1 512. But might be a good idea to pop it open and look. Then you'll know exactly what you need from crucial.

If I am using two 256's (I think that is the case), does that mean I won't be able to add more or will crucial tell me what my model can support? Sorry - pretty technically illiterate.

• Admin

Paste me your service tag and I'll take a look and tell you. It will be on a sticker on the back or side of the case.

According to their specs it has 4 slots. But paste me your service tag and i'll tell you what it came with and we'll go from there.

• Admin

2 D6492 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 533, 32X64, 8, 240, 1RX16

That's what you have now, two 256m dimms. The system has 4 slots. So the easy thing to do would be to add two more of those and you'll be set. Here's the link to exactly what you need on crucial.com

Crucial 256m DDR2 Sticks

only $36 each. Not bad.

After that, get oblivion and prepare to be amazed!