• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wii looks like a winner

chillzatl

• Premium Member

The DC is the shiite...

It still stacks up to XBOX 360 and PS 3...

When Sega revives itself and comesback, it will once again, blow the market away..

Long Live Sega...

And Colekovision!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

The DC is the shiite...

It still stacks up to XBOX 360 and PS 3...

When Sega revives itself and comesback, it will once again, blow the market away..

Long Live Sega...

And Colekovision!

The Dreamcast has some astoundingly good games for it, with some innovative design too (minigames on the memory cards!)

I think Sega officially gave up the console battles and is solely a software firm now. frown.gif

I think Sega will return to the market with a game system. They have a brand name and I don't see why they would waste it. They could even sell the name to another company and let them produce game systems under the Sega brand.

The Sega master system was the sh*t. The light gun was cool and I loved how you could buy cartridges, but you could also buy games that came on that card and they were usually cheaper. Turbografx 16 later stole that idea but it was also one of my favorite systems.

BTW I just hope they don't bring back Gyromite. That robot was so damn slow. I was cool as hell if you could play with a friend but I played with my brother and we would always blame each other for losing and end up fighting.

• Admin

I agree with DRZ on this one. They hit bankruptcy in the hardware business and have revived themselves sticking to software. They've already licensed out a good bit of their existing IP to Microsoft for use on live arcade and are finally turning themselves around again. They'd be insane to try the hardware business, after being lightyears behind the curve.

That's sad to hear. I still think they are wasting the use of their name brand though. I read somewhere that the softdrink Tab was back. If that name brand still has the power to get attention certainly a new Sega console would have people waiting to see what they had to offer. But I agree it wouldn't make sense to try it if they don't have the resources to make it work.

• Admin

Yah, if you factor in what both Microsoft and Sony paid just to have the CPU's developed, the costs would be staggering. Sony used someone elses design and a graphics unit that is practically off the shelf material and they are so deep into it that if the console stumbles, they could be thrown into bankruptcy.

Man, that's crazy. Now that you mention that, it's amazing that Nintendo is still in the game. Microsoft and Sony are such behemoths that have so many other sources of revenue I can understand them taking this kind of risk but for Nintendo it would seem they are truly sink or swim.

Quote:

Man, that's crazy. Now that you mention that, it's amazing that Nintendo is still in the game. Microsoft and Sony are such behemoths that have so many other sources of revenue I can understand them taking this kind of risk but for Nintendo it would seem they are truly sink or swim.

Nintendo still dominates the handheld game market, though.

• Premium Member

i was half tongue and cheek.. half serious.

now for more seriousness..

Every major advance in gaming consoles was made by......

Sega.

When Genesis knocked the shiite out of Nintendo.. it wasn't funny.

When Dreamcast came along, it had stuff that none of the big boys could do... namely think. I loved the way that DC would change up. I would be playing basketball on DC and if you run a play once, the computer would think and find a way to stop you from doing it again. It took a while for these other consoles to do that.

DC was the first to have modem capibility.

I think that the next revolution in gaming will come when Sega comes back.

Instead of increasing the amount of HD space and ram, I bet they bring in the next great innovation... PLUS they already have name recognition.

I think the problem was a problem of software for them. PS came out with titles that were in the Arcade like Tekken... But I look for Sega to be back...

the dreamcast was pretty awesome. That basketball game was one of the best ever

Also they had the little memory card / LCD screen you could slide into the controller. So for instance when playing football you could pick your play without the opponent seeing, that was cool.

Quote:

BTW I just hope they don't bring back Gyromite. That robot was so damn slow. I was cool as hell if you could play with a friend but I played with my brother and we would always blame each other for losing and end up fighting.

I hate that game. I used to play Pro Wrestling all the time. Remember that game?

Quote:

Quote:

It's worked for fine for many years. Personally, I think playing games on computer is lame.

It's worked fine because you don't know how much better the other side has it. I assume you play some of those games online? An average kb/mouse FPS player would crush the best console fps player. The controls, accuracy and pace of the games, as well as the graphics and teamplay aspects, are vastly superior.

When microsoft releases it's LiveAnywhere, you'll see first hand. PC players will be able to play against X360 players in the same games. Unless they do something to fudge the controls so that PC gamers are at a disadvantage or release a mouse/kb style control for the xbox, it won't be very fun for the console crowd.

What's it's a good fit for me.

I have some computer games, but I don't have the greatest of computers. On;y a Dell Pentium 4... From what I understand, it would take a hellva lot more money to upgrade mine to play really high quality games.

I figure this will be the last system I get for a while.

Quote:

It will be a pile of shyt just like Super NES and Nintendo 64 were.

That's where I draw the line. The SNES had easily two if not three of the greatest RPGs of all time on it - Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 2. And the 64 had Golden Eye and Perfect Dark.

I admit that once I started playing more graphically realistic games that I stopped paying attention to Nintendo almost altogether (and this is coming from someone that has the first issue of Nintendo Power and the pin for being a subscriber from issue 1 to 100), but then I realized that Nintendo still kicks ass with its random "kid" games.

I've wasted nearly as much time and gotten in heated arguments playing Mario Party as I have Madden. It's those kinds of games that make me want to buy whatever iteration of Nintendo is current. I know for a fact that I'll buy a GC before an XBOX and I'll buy a Revolution before I buy a 360.

Quote:

Quote:

That's where I draw the line. The SNES had easily two if not three of the greatest RPGs of all time on it - Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 2. And the 64 had Golden Eye and Perfect Dark.

I admit that once I started playing more graphically realistic games that I stopped paying attention to Nintendo almost altogether (and this is coming from someone that has the first issue of Nintendo Power and the pin for being a subscriber from issue 1 to 100), but then I realized that Nintendo still kicks ass with its random "kid" games.

I've wasted nearly as much time and gotten in heated arguments playing Mario Party as I have Madden. It's those kinds of games that make me want to buy whatever iteration of Nintendo is current. I know for a fact that I'll buy a GC before an XBOX and I'll buy a Revolution before I buy a 360.

Well, that's up to you. I'd rather stick with the realistic games first. Mario just doesn't match up with Splinter Cell.

Not now.

Quote:

Quote:

robglove.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Amen on all of that. Every last work of it! You should get the DS, really.. it's my favorite system these days. I'll challenge you to a Mario Kart race over the internet smile.gif

In the litany of n64 games that are wonderful, you can't forget Mario64. While the controls are a little clunky, it's just a fantastic game with lots to do in it. The DS has a remake of it with a lot of added levels.

Quote:

Also they had the little memory card / LCD screen you could slide into the controller. So for instance when playing football you could pick your play without the opponent seeing, that was cool.

Did you ever play Skies of Arcadia on the DC? It was the sky pirate RPG. There was a little minigame that you could play on the memory card that let you collect super rare items. I think I spent 50 hours of my life on MARTA playing that thing.

Phantasy Star Online was also fantastic, if a little thin on content.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Did you ever play Skies of Arcadia on the DC? It was the sky pirate RPG. There was a little minigame that you could play on the memory card that let you collect super rare items. I think I spent 50 hours of my life on MARTA playing that thing.

Phantasy Star Online was also fantastic, if a little thin on content.

Another notable game on DC was Soul Caliber which blew every other fighter out of the water for years afterwards. For an old-school fighter, the Marvel v. Capcom 2 game was awesome.

The NBA2K series was also incredible.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Amen on all of that. Every last work of it! You should get the DS, really.. it's my favorite system these days. I'll challenge you to a Mario Kart race over the internet smile.gif

In the litany of n64 games that are wonderful, you can't forget Mario64. While the controls are a little clunky, it's just a fantastic game with lots to do in it. The DS has a remake of it with a lot of added levels.

Dude, I've almost bought a DC just for Phantasy Star several times and after I finish writing this I'm gonna hop on eBay to see how much one is. I've been an RPG junkie since the first Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. I remember counting down the days until the FF1 release for the NES and I was in... 4th grade?

And as for Mario Kart, how could I forget! The SNES version rocks and the 64 version is pretty good also. I could talk forever now that I'm reminiscing of all the 8/16/64 bit goodness. I mean come on - Zelda, Metroid, Tecmo Bowl!!!!