• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Jimi Hendrix the most overrated musician ever?

Plainview1981

hotatl, i like reading a lot of things you write, but connecting school shootings to grunge? come on, man. i think it's pretty rediculous to blame school shootings on grunge, or marylin manson , or gang violence on rap, or (remember when...)suicide on judeas priest, or satanism on secret messages encoded on black sabbath and led zep. albums, played backwords, etc, etc, etc. the thing is, if someone thinks that "music" made them commit violent or fatal acts on others, chances are they had other--and much more serious--issues that they were dealing with other than just what music they were listening to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(a little late, i know), i don't consider kurt cobain and jimi hendrix on the same level whatsoever, just that i don't think that either of them are overrated. i guess if someone thinks nirvana was the greatest band ever and left work early when cobain died, then yes, they way overrated him. the general (more sane) public opinion of him isn't so much overrated though, imo. it was a great band, paricularly their early indie stuff and the "in utero" album (nevermind was too commercial/pop for me).

my apologies for stopping short of calling jimi earth shattering, but i did say he was extraordinary and deserved the respect he has gotten. i do consider him to be in the upper-most echilons of the rock n roll demi-gods, but i guess our ideas of earth shattering are different. don't ask me who or what i would consider to be at that level, because i don't even know right now. it would have to be like inventing the wheel or harnessing fire for the first time kind of thing to be earth shattering to me.

Quote:

hotatl, i like reading a lot of things you write, but connecting school shootings to grunge? come on, man. i think it's pretty rediculous to blame school shootings on grunge, or marylin manson , or gang violence on rap, or (remember when...)suicide on judeas priest, or satanism on secret messages encoded on black sabbath and led zep. albums, played backwords, etc, etc, etc. the thing is, if someone thinks that "music" made them commit violent or fatal acts on others, chances are they had other--and much more serious--issues that they were dealing with other than just what music they were listening to.

Rock has been a whiney depressed genre since around 1990. These grunge bands killed any positivity or fun in rock. Totally killed it. Rock has been an awful genre of music since this time.

Like I said, I'd listen to Warrant before I'll listen to Nirvana. Granted, I like one or two Green Day songs, but the fact is they're genre for the most part.

Lot of teens that listen to rock have really gone off the deep end now. Where not talking about situations here and there, but it get's worse. I bet 60%+ of the youth that listens to rock are totally depressive kids.

I didn't say it was the influence on it's own, but I think it's had any effect. Did kids shoot up schools before grunge came along? I don't feel abit sorry for any of that have done the shootings.

They're cowardly kids. And I'm tired of hearing the excuse that they were picked on. If you fight back, chances are you'll get picked on less. There was a time when people thought they could get away with picking on me because I was overweight. Not saying I was the baddest m*therf*cker in the school, but I handed the ones that gave problems.

Most of what I heard is that these kids listend to death metal or grunge bands. There has to be a link in there somewhere for this to almost always be the case.

There was a couple of times were I almost got into fights that I know I would have lost. One of them was one of those 6 foot huge guys. But I stood up and let him know that I wasn't going to just sit there and take it. We never fought and even became sort of friends.

People who get picked on usally just allow the people to do it.

You should stick to not knowing about the Hawks. Warrant? Have you ever played a guitar? Has anyone on these posts? And if you have, do you also play ball? And what's killing music is record companies like UMG paying off radio station execs to play crap like Ashlee Simpson. But to people that can hear it there are plenty of bands to listen to. I am going to list some guitarists. If you can name the band then you can talk. If you can't?

Mike McCready, John Frusciante, Billy Corgan, Thurston Moore, Jerry Cantrell, Graham Coxton, and i'm not even gonna get into how most of you don't get Neil Young? Does anyone know who that is?

Quote:

You should stick to not knowing about the Hawks. Warrant? Have you ever played a guitar? Has anyone on these posts? And if you have, do you also play ball? And what's killing music is record companies like UMG paying off radio station execs to play crap like Ashlee Simpson. But to people that can hear it there are plenty of bands to listen to. I am going to list some guitarists. If you can name the band then you can talk. If you can't?

Mike McCready, John Frusciante, Billy Corgan, Thurston Moore, Jerry Cantrell, Graham Coxton, and i'm not even gonna get into how most of you don't get Neil Young? Does anyone know who that is?

Billy Corgan? The Smashing Pumpkins are a boring band. I don't like these grunge bands. Who wants to hear whiney white people whine about their lives and playing depressed

self important music like their lives have been so tough?

Maybe if Kurt Cobain had lived in a country where they're lucky to live by the day he and bands like Pearl Jam, Nirvana and other grunge bands wouldn't be crying little b!tches. I mean, being young is one thing, but once you start getting in your 20's+ you should look at reality.

John Frusciante is the best one that you listed and that's not bad at all, but guys like Billy Corgan and Mike McCready are no Vaughan, Hendrix, Van Halen, Satriani, Page, Rhoades, Keaggy etc...

If you like whiney bands that p!ss and moan that's up to you, but don't come at me that way. Oh, and don't make it out like I said Warrent is one of my favorite bands.

It's just that I'd rather hear them than a bunch of whiney losers like Kurt Cobain and the rest of the dreadful 90's piss and moan garbage. That's more of an insult to grunge that it is a praise of hair metal.

I'd say Pearl Jam and Soundgarden are the best of the 90's bands and there's only a few songs from each that I care to listen to.

Do you remember the scenes in "White men can't jump? Well the Wesley Snipes thing is really funny. Cause' I have a lot of black friends and about .0005% of them can even name a Hendrix tune. You obviously don't "get" it. the "redneck chile" as I like to call him was about as crappy a guitar player as I can think of. All he did was bite on Jimi's style with none of the real blues. There are a few black rock artists. Ben Harper comes to mind. If you've never heard him give it a listen. Hip-Hop doesn't have a lock down on poetry. and that's what you are missing the most. I don't think you could quote any lyrics from any rock bands. Not to mention what they are singing about. The whole point is to create art. The whole package. You probably think Bob Dylan can't sing. Or Tom petty. Or Neil Young. oh, wait I forgot. You don't know that he's put out about 50 albums. Let's just say some of us whiteys know the difference between lil'Wayne and Del. You do know who Del is right? I've read some of your posts. And you might know Hawks but you are waaay off here. And that crap about boring, depressed rockers is all media hype. Listen to the production value of Jimi's last stuff like "easy rider" and others. Way ahead of it's time. He was also an accomplished drummer and bass player. Check out Electric Ladyland. listen to 1983 or something. And i'm not sure i read it. Do you play guitar? And if so, do you play ball? It's all about team. In music or basketball.

Quote:

Nirvana was the founding father of grunge.

On the flip side, one musician who's music and death I view as underrated is Layne Staley of Alice in Chains. Rock and roll with a twist of grunge, or vice versa depending on opinion, Staley with his unique voice and lyrics made Alice in Chains a band for the ages

Really, Buckeye to be historically accurate Neil Young is considered to be the "Godfather of Grunge". There just wasn't as much media then and there wasn't a stupid label thrown on super loud gnarly sonic rock with melody. In the land of feedback it's easy for a person with no frame of reference to get lost and think it's just noise. It's not.

If you like Layne Staley try to find "Mad Season" with Mike McCready from Pearl Jam. Not to be confused with that Matchbox 20 crap album of the same name.

Quote:

Do you remember the scenes in "White men can't jump? Well the Wesley Snipes thing is really funny. Cause' I have a lot of black friends and about .0005% of them can even name a Hendrix tune. You obviously don't "get" it. the "redneck chile" as I like to call him was about as crappy a guitar player as I can think of. All he did was bite on Jimi's style with none of the real blues. There are a few black rock artists. Ben Harper comes to mind. If you've never heard him give it a listen. Hip-Hop doesn't have a lock down on poetry. and that's what you are missing the most. I don't think you could quote any lyrics from any rock bands. Not to mention what they are singing about. The whole point is to create art. The whole package. You probably think Bob Dylan can't sing. Or Tom petty. Or Neil Young. oh, wait I forgot. You don't know that he's put out about 50 albums. Let's just say some of us whiteys know the difference between lil'Wayne and Del. You do know who Del is right? I've read some of your posts. And you might know Hawks but you are waaay off here. And that crap about boring, depressed rockers is all media hype. Listen to the production value of Jimi's last stuff like "easy rider" and others. Way ahead of it's time. He was also an accomplished drummer and bass player. Check out Electric Ladyland. listen to 1983 or something. And i'm not sure i read it. Do you play guitar? And if so, do you play ball? It's all about team. In music or basketball.

First off, I'm white. I just get tired of whites crying all the time when we've had it way better than everybody else. Granted, there was a time when I done this, but not anymore.

You got to grow out of that sometime.

Secondly, I like lyrics in rock, but only if they're supported by good musicians that can actually play and the music isn't depressed drivel. In most cases, I'm not going to enjoy rock if all the fun is drained out of the music.

Lyrics isn't my number one. If I wanted deep words so bad, I'd read a poem. When I listen to rock I want good enjoyable musicianship. That's what rock music is about in my opinion. People have forgotten this. But have you seen Chuck Berry? Check out his 1987 Hail! Hail! Rock n Roll.

Even at his ripe old age he understood how to have fun with the music. Rock bands don't know how to do that anymore.

Hip Hop is basically what what hair metal was in the mid and late 80's. Rap is supposed to be all these genius lyrics all of this. Well, like I said, why would I want to hear rappers basically bark out these lyrics? It's awful on the ears. It really is.

Lyrics are way way overblown and have been for years. How much lyrics are in Mozarts music? Not that I'm a huge classical guy by any stretch... But I'd prefer that over dudes barking out words and waving their hands around like a retard.

Jimi himself had some bad problems. The dude liked to smash women's head on the floor for christsake.

"the "redneck chile" as I like to call him was about as crappy a guitar player as I can think of. All he did was bite on Jimi's style with none of the real blues."

I want you to tell me what "real" blues is.Is it beating women's head on the floor? Doing as much drugs as you can? Dodging the army with cowardly tatics? Having basement like production on your records?

I've never seen this explained. What makes Jimi's playing so much more blues than Vaughan or lots of other guys? I've never understood how good guitar playing means something isn't the real blues. The "It's all flash" theory doesn't hold much water in my opinion. I've never seen anybody that can back this up. It's something some rant about over and over, but can't break down how good crisp playing is un blues like.

Why you keep bringing the Hawks and basketball into this I don't know. You seem to be ranting an awful lot.

I

Quote:

Next of all, you don't know what I do and don't know. But I'll tell you something, if you think Stevie is a poor guitar player, that's up to you, but I don't agree. I'm sure you will bring up the tired argument about him playing at a faster pace and so he isn't real blues. That argument is tried and unfounded.

I suppose your going to tell me that your a guitar player.I could careless if your a guitar player or not. My nephew plays guitar and he thinks alot of crappy guys are good guitar players. It really means nothing.

Bob Dylan? Does nothing for me. Doesn't mean I don't have any respect, but his music does nothing for me. And no, he's not a good singer to me.

Ben Harper? Sorry, I prefer Robert Randolph instead. His he too much speed for you?

Btw, here are some quotes from bluesman about Stevie:

B.B King:

"Stevie had many ways of showing you that he had not only talent, but he also had a feeling for playing the blues. He was good with it, his execution and his hands. He seemed to be flawless, the way he moved with it. I don't think he was aware of how well he played. I'm pretty sure he never realized how well he played. A lot of us knew he was good then, but the impact never hit us really big until after we lost him.

Any time we played together it was exciting.

At first, he would always pull punches a bit. So one night I told him, "Play your thing. Go ahead, don't worry about me." And he did. His ideas were limitless. He flowed. He was like water, constantly drippin' with rhythm.

It's a loss not just to the music - it's a loss to people as a whole. He was just such a nice man.

I tell you the truth, it really hurts. The only thing that keeps me from crying is knowing the joy that he brought to us. I can see his smile right now, him sitting there with his Mexican hat on, going, "Hey, it's all right."

He was always quick to show gratitude to me and other artists who have been around. But when it came to playing the blues he earned plenty of respect himself.

The fact is that he affected the way blues will be played and heard forever. I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie missed on both counts, but I never noticed."

Koko Taylor (One of the best female blues artist)

"People didn't pay attention to the blues. Vaughan was one of the ones who changed that."

Carlos Santana:Well, the first time I saw and met him was in Berkeley, and he just played the words the guitar was projecting, frequencies of sound kind of like the Aurora Borealis. I had worked with The Thunderbirds, so I knew Jimmie, and he told me about Stevie, but he still didn't prepare me for such an assault. I met Stevie on a bus and he was very gracious. I told him, "I love you and your brother's music, man" and from then on, we became partners. There was a festival in Austin, Texas with the Neville Brothers and Bonnie Raitt, and Jimmie and Stevie Ray invited me to their parents' house. You could feel the love and how proud his mother and father were of both of them, you could just feel it.

When Stevie Ray left us, of course, immediately he became immortal. He's going to live on forever on the one hand, but on the other, there's that pain you feel in the family's eyes. It's like that now when I see Jimmie. I felt a camaraderie with Stevie Ray, and I miss him terribly. Stevie Ray Vaughan is a big ship; he carries dreams and aspirations of a lot of people. He made a promise before he came out of a woman's womb. He said, "Thank you for letting me participate in this dimension, and in return I promise to do my best to uplift, transform, and illuminate the consciousness of people." And I know he kept his promise, and I'll try to keep mine"

"John Lee Hooker

"To me, he's one of the greatest blues singers there ever was. I'm very sad because I wish he were here. But his music will never die. He's one of the greatest blues musicians that ever picked up a guitar.

The first time we met was in Austin, Texas at Antone's, and it was him and his brother, Jimmie. That was fifteen or twenty years ago, and at that time he could play tremendously. And I said, "Someday this kid's going to shake the whole world up". And he was one of the nicest people. You couldn't help but like him, you couldn't help but love him.

I never cry, but yesterday, when I heard the news [about Stevie's death], I sat down on my bed and cried like a little baby."

Albert Collins

"We jammed many times, and I had so much fun. I really miss him. He did some Jimi Hendrix, some Albert King, a little of me, but he had it together for what he wanted to do. He had a direction, and he made it work. The kids really liked his fire."

Saying Stevie is just an updated Hendrix I can live with (Although I don't totally agree) but saying crappy guitar player makes you sound like a moron.

Listen. Stevie Ray never wrote a decent song. He just jammed. That's why you never hear any of them. Really, you are below this conversation. You see, Blues and rock can mesh with funk and punk and disco. you obviously know nothing about music. Be it classical or oldies. Beethoven had waaay more soul than Mozart. If you dont get it, you don't get it. By the way, B.B.King is a big Jimi fan and in fact put two jimi albums in his personal collection at the hall of fame. And Santana is on record as saying that Jimi was the greatest. So are about all of the great english/blues guitar players. Clapton, Townsend, etc. And you don't care for Dylan? You are an absolute novice with no ear for music. You're one of those people that watches the Grammys aren't you? If you can prove that Jimi beat women then do so. As for the army, Jimi was an airborne ranger. Were you? Honorable discharge. Broken Foot. Also, unlike many of his contemporaries he never protested the war in Vietnam. So, find some more ammo.

Castles made of Sand @ss!ole. Stevie Ray is the Vanilla Ice of his style.

I do know what you don't know. Basically every challenge that I gave you. You have no frame of reference to even be in this discussion. And you don't play an instrument or you would have more respect for musicians. I bet you think Al Harrington was a good player too, right? The idiot that doesn't "get" Dylan is usually the same idiot that drives one on three and doesn't dish at the park. I bet you're that guy.

• Moderators

I don't know if I am an idiot but I am a big music fan and played several different instruments for about 12 years. I am not a fan of Dylan's voice, but think he is a legendary song writer. From All Along the Watchtower, I like most of his songs when performed by others better.

That said, there are still plenty of Dylan songs I do love (performed by him) and his voice isn't such a turnoff for me that I can't enjoy him singing.

People have different views on vocals and some people are just going to like some vocalists and dislike others. I suspect not everyone is a big fan of every singer and there are going to be people out there who just listen to someone like Geddy Lee and don't like it. Others will. To each their own.

Quote:

Listen. Stevie Ray never wrote a decent song. He just jammed. That's why you never hear any of them. Really, you are below this conversation. You see, Blues and rock can mesh with funk and punk and disco. you obviously know nothing about music. Be it classical or oldies. Beethoven had waaay more soul than Mozart. If you dont get it, you don't get it. By the way, B.B.King is a big Jimi fan and in fact put two jimi albums in his personal collection at the hall of fame. And Santana is on record as saying that Jimi was the greatest. So are about all of the great english/blues guitar players. Clapton, Townsend, etc. And you don't care for Dylan? You are an absolute novice with no ear for music. You're one of those people that watches the Grammys aren't you? If you can prove that Jimi beat women then do so. As for the army, Jimi was an airborne ranger. Were you? Honorable discharge. Broken Foot. Also, unlike many of his contemporaries he never protested the war in Vietnam. So, find some more ammo.

Castles made of Sand @ss!ole. Stevie Ray is the Vanilla Ice of his style.

Well, you confirmed that you're a completely unintelligible

moron.

"He just jammed."

How does that make one a bad guitar player? His jamming and emotion is strongest suit. So what? What are you trying to prove? So far you haven't proven anything.

"You see, Blues and rock can mesh with funk and punk and disco

"

Check out the Mother's Finest band I listed. They provide all of that in one package and are one of the most underrated bands ever in my opinion.

"As for the army, Jimi was an airborne ranger. Were you?"

From the way I understand it, he pretended he was g@y in order to get out. If true, that to me suggests he was a cowardly person. I've also read that he abused women. Which also makes him a coward of a person.

I'd suggest you lay off the drugs and get some help.

I noticed you have no response to my quotes from other musician's and it seems you have no answer for them other than to bring Hendrix back up... Which proves nothing.

You need to move along kid. It would be best for you.

Quote:

I don't know if I am an idiot but I am a big music fan and played several different instruments for about 12 years. I am not a fan of Dylan's voice, but think he is a legendary song writer. From All Along the Watchtower, I like most of his songs when performed by others better.

That said, there are still plenty of Dylan songs I do love (performed by him) and his voice isn't such a turnoff for me that I can't enjoy him singing.

People have different views on vocals and some people are just going to like some vocalists and dislike others. I suspect not everyone is a big fan of every singer and there are going to be people out there who just listen to someone like Geddy Lee and don't like it. Others will. To each their own.

Agreed. I try to refrain from calling great musicians hacks.

He sounds like a 19 year old that has tried too many drugs.

Stephon Marbury can play ball. But not with a team. And yes, you are crappy if you don't help the whole cause. I know why you didn't list anything. It's because you don't know them. By the way, I'm 32 and know your type all too well. You should be ashamed to talk about Chuck Berry in a guitar chat. Unless talking about origin. Also, he was convicted of installing a camera in the women's room at his restaurant. See, I can prove that. Real classy guy. What a joke. To put this aside for a minute though, I am a lifelong Hawks fan and I think you are too, right? We have some common ground. I just found your "grunge" thing shortsighted and naive.

Quote:

Stephon Marbury can play ball. But not with a team. And yes, you are crappy if you don't help the whole cause. I know why you didn't list anything. It's because you don't know them. By the way, I'm 32 and know your type all too well. You should be ashamed to talk about Chuck Berry in a guitar chat. Unless talking about origin. Also, he was convicted of installing a camera in the women's room at his restaurant. See, I can prove that. Real classy guy. What a joke. To put this aside for a minute though, I am a lifelong Hawks fan and I think you are too, right? We have some common ground. I just found your "grunge" thing shortsighted and naive.

I've gone past the point of carrying what you think simply because you make no sense. Again, too much drugs have messed up your brain. I'm done conviced of that. There's nothing more that you and I need to discuss.

Anyway, I read something about Satriani and Maalmsteen on your post. They are complete garbage. I've never seen anyone with a 70 I.Q. listen to that. Well, maybe a math nerd that never got any. I have not heard those names since I was 12. And it was the SAME argument. Go listen to some Michael Bolton or something. He seems right up your alley.