• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Xbox 360

RAHMOR

I'm thinking about buying one of these damn things and I was wondering about the machine. It's been out at least a couple of months and would like to know if it's worth it. I saw in the store today there is a $299 and $399 version. The $399 version comes with the hard drive and a few other things. I want to know the more expensive version with the hard drive is worth it. I would appreciate any help with my decision.

I can tell you this much. I'm not a hardcore gamer but if you're thinking about buying a new system, you may want to wait a month for the new Nintendo Wii to come out. My research tells me that Nintendo games are much more fun and popular, generally speaking, than other game system games. The only non nintendo system I've ever owned was a Sega Genesis and it kinda sucked. All the nintendo systems have been great. But again, I'm no hardcore gamer like some squawkers may be so just take my advice for what it's worth.

Quote:

I can tell you this much. I'm not a hardcore gamer but if you're thinking about buying a new system, you may want to wait a month for the new Nintendo Wii to come out. My research tells me that Nintendo games are much more fun and popular, generally speaking, than other game system games. The only non nintendo system I've ever owned was a Sega Genesis and it kinda sucked. All the nintendo systems have been great. But again, I'm no hardcore gamer like some squawkers may be so just take my advice for what it's worth.

Well, unless Nintendo has a Splinter Cell or a Metal Gear Solid I'm not very interested. Things like Super Mario and Zelda just don't interest me anymore.

Mainly I stick to sports games... Which leaves Nintendo even more out of it. I doubt I'd have much interest in their cartoonish sports games.

Let me say that I am an Halo addict. I played the first part until I beat it on every level. All things being equal that is the reason I choose the xbox. It's not a matter of if I choose it over any other system. It's a matter of if I choose to buy it period. I would buy it for Halo 2 and 3 alone but I want to know overall is it worth the investment.

As with all new systems, my biggest concern is whether or not it's going to be buggy as hell during the first few releases. I've got a buddy who waited in line for half a day to get his 360 when it came out and he hasn't been disappointed.

I'm more of a sports and rpg fan, so the Playstation has always catered more to me, but yeah, nothing beats Halo for some good old fashioned shooter action. The PS3 (full blown version) is going to be on my shelf about 6 months after the initial release for sure.

• Moderators

I have been looking into getting an XBox360 some and have seen that the earliest versions of the system had problems with heating and locking up so I would definitely get one with a fairly recent manufacturing date.

From what I have seen, it sounds to me like the hard drive is almost an essential component of the system as well - I am not considering one without it.

If you go on Ebay, you should read the XBox360 guides there to get tips on avoiding scammers but you can definitely save some $$s as well. Personally, if I end up bidding on one it will be one where the components of the auction are clearly spelled out (two of the scams are selling a picture of an XBox360 or the box it comes in); where I send an email to the seller and get confirmation on the item; where the manufacturing date is recent and the system is under warranty; and with the best value I can find (not necessarily the cheapest since I would pay a little more to get a second controller, a few games, etc.).

I am hoping that Microsoft will run some specials when the new Nintendo and Playstation systems hit the shelves as well.

I would wait a bit to get the 360. I have one myself and although I love it, I don't love that it doesnt have any HDMI output, which there is talk of being changed in the near future. Component cables are great, but HDMI is much easier.

Also, I am thinking that with the HD-DVD upgrade that Microsoft is putting out, they might have a package deal sometime soon that could be worth waiting for.

• Admin

Get the 360. The games are great and they have a LOT of them. early on the types of games were somewhat limited (lots of shooters and action games), but that is changing. The graphics are great, Xbox live is and will continue to be the best online experience on ANY console and with the exception of a few PS3 only titles, they will have every game that the PS3 has.

As someone else said, the Wii will have some unique games, but I don't know if they would appeal to you as much. As you've professed to be a halo addict, the wii doesn't have much in store in that arena just yet and it remains to be seen just how enjoyable some types of games will be with the motion controllers.

As for the PS3, I would simply avoid it. It's going to be nearly impossible to get for at least 6-9 months (unless you pay double on ebay) and to be quite honest, they don't have any games that would make me jump to get one. OOOH another metal gear solid sequel! No thanks. Beyond that, I won't get into the cost of the unit itself. I find it insulting that they would force people to pay for a technology (blu-ray) that has zero impact on games. It was simply a marketing scheme that they felt would allow them to win the race wtih HD-DVD. Beyond that, i find Sony's attitude towards the public regarding their system to be insulting While the intitial cost of the machine may be $600. Expect to spend 700-750 to be able to actually use the machine when you get it.

One poster mentioned HDMI, but if your TV has HDMI, it also has VGA and Component. Which will give you the exact same level of detail.

one last thing about the 360. Have you seen Gears of War? I'm not much of a console gamer, but that thing looks BADASS! Their game lineup for the next 6 months looks spectacular!

Quote:

One poster mentioned HDMI, but if your TV has HDMI, it also has VGA and Component. Which will give you the exact same level of detail.

It's the lack of an HDMI output in the 360 that's the limiting factor. And as far as I know, HDMI is the only way to send/receive a digital video signal. It sends/receives digital audio also, but that can already be achieved outside of HDMI.

The component cables that come with the 360 will output exactly the same signal that would be output through HDMI. There is no difference other than HDMI is more convenient.

However, the latest I have heard is that very soon the 360 will be releasing a dashboard software update that will make the 360 output a 1080P source, which is a massive upgrade to what it currently produces. I also heard that in conjuction with this upgrade they will be selling HDMI cables to replace the component cables that come standard and that future 360's will have the option of having an HDMI cable.

• Admin

The dashboard update has been semi-confirmed, but the only way 1080P will be possible is over the VGA output.

The HDMI cable has been semi-denied by MS reps. Though everyone expects that it will happen eventually. In fact, it has to happen eventually. Because HDMI is the only way to allow DRM'd HD-DVD content to be played. While nobody is DRM'ing their HD-DVD (or blu-ray) content for the time being, eventually they will and without HDMI, that content won't be playable on the 360's HD-DVD add-on drive.

I can confirm 2 things. First, 1080P is now available, however it is ONLY available through the VGA output cables that you can buy for the 360. It really sucks to have a 1080p tv, a console that outputs 1080p, games being created in 1080i, and NOT being able to view them in 1080p upconverted simply because Microsoft has yet to come out with an HDMI cable for the console. I guess they will wait on that until they need to steal the thunder from the PS3 again.

get a wii

control and gameplay are more important than graphics

wii will have best controls for sports games, so they will be more fun on wii than on the other 2 systems

wii will have best controls for driving games

wii will have MUCH MUCH MUCH better control for FPS...i hate playing FPS on console when I could use keyboard/mouse combo on PC 343432x better

well, wii's nunchuck/wiimote combo will be as good as, or better than, a keyboard/mouse control...so wii will be 1000x better for FPS than the other 2 systems when it comes to gameplay/control

ps3/360 will only be better in terms of graphics, which is not as important as gameplay/control IMO

and from what I have read it will function very similarly to the wii, so I would wait until that is confirmed or denied before dropping so much money on the wii without getting HD or BluRay out of it, plus getting an inferior product in terms of available games (at least for adults).

Quote:

and from what I have read it will function very similarly to the wii, so I would wait until that is confirmed or denied before dropping so much money on the wii without getting HD or BluRay out of it, plus getting an inferior product in terms of available games (at least for adults).

It's really funny to me how Sony and MS are playing the 'yeah, yeah, me too!' game w/rt the Wii right now. A friend of mine does all the sound for the NBA2k6/NHL2k6 etc series of games, and it's outlandish how buggy the PS3 platform is right now after playing catch-up, technologically speaking. There are some really funny things he found out at E3... well, I guess funny unless you are a Sony stockholder.

I am going to predict a Nintendo comeback in the console market. The PS3 and XBOX haven't done anything innovative in some time.. they just increase realism, and there's a brick wall there, called the Uncanny Valley. (google it for details.)

it will not be the same

being the main controller for the system means developers develop specifically for the wiimote

360s remote will take years to do properly and will not be the main controller, so won't be as supported

and the wii is only 250 and comes with 5 games...so u aren't dropping much for em

and the graphics are still better than xbox/ps2/gamecube, so they are good enough...gameplay trumps graphics any day

and the games are better on nintendo: most of the 'exclusive' games for ps3 are going to xbox as well...while nintendo has tons of exclusive content

sports games = better with wiimote

fps games = 2343423x better with wiimote

multiplayer games and multiplayer fun is better on wii

wii will capture non-gamers as well as gamers

and ps2's 100k consoles includes MANY people buying 2-3 consoles as they broke or getting new when slim, etc...there were 100k users, so their advantage is exaggerated

wii will return nintendo to the console crown once again and the games are more fun...i don't buy into "mario is a kiddie game" or "rayman is a kiddie game"...if they are fun, they are fun, bottom line

Quote:

Quote:

Well, unless Nintendo has a Splinter Cell or a Metal Gear Solid I'm not very interested. Things like Super Mario and Zelda just don't interest me anymore.

Mainly I stick to sports games... Which leaves Nintendo even more out of it. I doubt I'd have much interest in their cartoonish sports games.

nintendo has splinter cell, call of duty and red steel from launch

and the control is much better on wii than 360/ps3