• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Playstation 3 - Always on...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I saw some crap about the playstation 3... "always on."

I'm no gamer... But I was wondering about this. Does this mean that there's always a connection with the DSL/T1/ or modem that allow Playstation 3 to communicate with other playstation 3s and tell "friends" when you've come on-line?

That's something that dreamcast came out with years ago right?

The other thing is I saw the extended version of the wii commercial. The wii looks like it sucks! Somebody tell me differently.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

supposedly the PS3 never completely shuts down, it jsut goes into low power mode or something along those lines.

The Wii has quite a few fun looking games. It's not got the best graphics of the new systems, but it definitely has a unique angle.

I mean... how good graphics do you really NEED? A game can be fun regardless of them.

Quote:

Quote:

^ exactly. the controller is completely revolutionary. plus, its less than half the cost of the ps3.

And the games are less than half as fun. Unless you like Donkey Kart Bongo Party 3.

As compared to what? The 50th iteration of NBA Live? The latest barely-different Madden? At this point, I'm much more entertained by the retro Hawks rosters in NBA Live 95 on the Genesis, thanks.

Live 95 was the bomb.

I agree that once you get to a certain point, increasing graphic capability doesn't do a whole lot for a game. I'm glad Nintendo decided to go into the next generation of consoles with the idea of revolutionizing the way games are played versus how they're viewed on a screen. I think ultimately I'll be more entertained with a fully interactive game of Mario Tennis than I will be with Halo 3. And not because I don't like console FPS games - 007/Perfect Dark on the 64, like whoa.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

I saw some crap about the playstation 3... "always on."

I'm no gamer... But I was wondering about this. Does this mean that there's always a connection with the DSL/T1/ or modem that allow Playstation 3 to communicate with other playstation 3s and tell "friends" when you've come on-line?

That's something that dreamcast came out with years ago right?

The other thing is I saw the extended version of the wii commercial. The wii looks like it sucks! Somebody tell me differently.

The Wii is the whole nostalgia effect with some new control that looks to be overrated and will be forgot about. I had some kind of toy from Wal-Mart a while back that has the same effect. Some fishing game that you would actually act how you would with a real fishing pole.

What's the big deal? I just don't see it... And I don't think it's as original as people try and pretend that it is.

But... There is people that got to rebel just to be different. That's how it is.

have you played it yet?

play it before writing it off

everyone from my kids to adults to parents to grandparents enjoy playing the Wii

wiimote is MUCH better than controller for fps and sports games and allows for whole new genres of games that wouldn't be fun with a standard controller

the only reason i'd want to play a ps3/360 instead is for a non-wii game...i pick control over graphics (tho i love hd and have 3 hdtvs) and after using wiimote, i don't wanna use a standard controller again...next gen all consoles will be using motion-sensing controllers instead of the old standard ones

• Admin

of course he hasn't. Hotlanta is the king of making absolute posts without ever having experienced the subject matter first hand.

I played with the Wii for a few hours this past weekend at a friends house and it was a blast. There's no way in hell the system will be forgotten and I wouldn't be surprised if, a year from now, the Wii is the clear 2nd place winner in the console market.

The games and the control will only improve as developers get a better understanding of what is possible. The current batch of games are just the tip of the iceberg as far as what can be done with it.

Quote:

of course he hasn't. Hotlanta is the king of making absolute posts without ever having experienced the subject matter first hand.

I played with the Wii for a few hours this past weekend at a friends house and it was a blast. There's no way in hell the system will be forgotten and I wouldn't be surprised if, a year from now, the Wii is the clear 2nd place winner in the console market.

The games and the control will only improve as developers get a better understanding of what is possible. The current batch of games are just the tip of the iceberg as far as what can be done with it.

And your the king of opening your mouth when you probably shouldn't. One day somebody is going to shut it for you.

I don't have to play it to see that the system is just a gimmick that isn't as original as it pretends to be. Like I said, you can go to Wal-Mart and get a hand held game where you do pretty much the samething. I don't have to play it to see through the bullshyt. I don't fall for gimmicks like chillz does.

Nintendo Wii is a gimmick and nothing more. I'll be honest, it's not just about graphics... I still play my old systems from time to time. But I'm not falling for Nintendo's gimmick. F8ck Nintendo... They're a sorry company and the crappy Nintendo 64 was proof of it. I have a pretty big hatered for Nintendo and their gimmick system surely doesn't change that.

The Xbox 360 is likely the last system I'm getting anyway because these systems don;t have enough life to make them worth the money.

Quote:

But... There is people that got to rebel just to be different. That's how it is.

project much?

people who like the Wii aren't being different or rebelling...it's selling out 3 hours before stores open, it's the darling of media, magazines, critics, reviewers, etc...it's definitely not rebellious to like the Wii

• Admin

maybe somebody will.. then again...maybe they won't. Either way, you're still a narrow minded clown..

You've never experienced it yourself but it's obviously just a "gimmick". It couldn't possibly be fun or innovative. I mean god, it's just a completely unique control system that has never been used in a game system before. There's no way that could be fun. All those people who've played it and liked it, including myself, are all just sheep falling for the marketing hype. I wouldn't have a clue what a REAL fun is anyway. I guess I just thought we were all having fun on Saturday night. All that laughter must have been my imagination.

This is just like how you don't go to Atlanta because it's all bums and criminals down there. You remember that one don't you?

I would love to see you playing it, doing your best to look like you aren't having fun. Actually, scratch that. I fear that your sour apple outlook on everything might spread to my side of the room and ruin any chance of me enjoying watching you pretend like you aren't having fun.

Quote:

maybe somebody will.. then again...maybe they won't. Either way, you're still a narrow minded clown.."

I quit deeply caring what you say along time ago. Maybe you should take your lame @ss to the mirror and have a look at yourself... But you wouldn't do that. Reality would set in then.

You've never experienced it yourself but it's obviously just a "gimmick". It couldn't possibly be fun or innovative. I mean god, it's just a completely unique control system that has never been used in a game system before. There's no way that could be fun. All those people who've played it and liked it, including myself, are all just sheep falling for the marketing hype. I wouldn't have a clue what a REAL fun is anyway. I guess I just thought we were all having fun on Saturday night. All that laughter must have been my imagination."

Tell me what is so "innovative" about this control... The idea has already been done with hand held games. So where is the originality?

"This is just like how you don't go to Atlanta because it's all bums and criminals down there. You remember that one don't you?"

Atlanta has a worst crime rate NY does now I believe. So what I said stands true for the most part. H*ll, I'd be afraid that I'd choke to death from all the pollution.

My brother in law nearly had his car stolen down there. By all means, if you enjoy lots of pollution and an overload of crime, that's the place to be.

Considering the rate that athletes get in trouble... No wonder they love Atlanta.

I would love to see you playing it, doing your best to look like you aren't having fun. Actually, scratch that. I fear that your sour apple outlook on everything might spread to my side of the room and ruin any chance of me enjoying watching you pretend like you aren't having fun.

Of course most americans are just sheep... Alot of americans buy crappy hip hop music and lame Jessica Simpson

because they're told it's cool. So figuring that americans are sheep when it comes to video games isn't very hard to believe.

Quote:

maybe somebody will.. then again...maybe they won't. Either way, you're still a narrow minded clown..

You've never experienced it yourself but it's obviously just a "gimmick". It couldn't possibly be fun or innovative. I mean god, it's just a completely unique control system that has never been used in a game system before. There's no way that could be fun. All those people who've played it and liked it, including myself, are all just sheep falling for the marketing hype. I wouldn't have a clue what a REAL fun is anyway. I guess I just thought we were all having fun on Saturday night. All that laughter must have been my imagination.

This is just like how you don't go to Atlanta because it's all bums and criminals down there. You remember that one don't you?

Here is a post I saw:

Well that is a lame question right now.

The Wii is nothing more then an enhanced Gamecube, even plays the same games. It does however have built in wireless but controller wise is sort of half a$$ done, because you have to use older GC controller or buy that special one (which also doesn't work for GC games) to play anything other than the Wii games. Graphics and sound are on par for the PS2/Xbox 1/Gamecube era. The plus side is the controller and the Online options (if they ever fully emerge). The controller works with the current games quite well, but how well depends on the game and developer knowledge. For instance Wii sports and Zelda perform much better with the controller than Red Steel (high learning curve).

The PS3 is going to be worse looking, except for a couple games, because of the 360's year head start. The 360 games are in the next generation and the PS3 is in the launch mode. The PS3 also is having problems with their units, same as the 360 did, so about the same there, except it was easier to get a 360. In the future the PS3 might get to looking better than the 360 with almost every game, but then again it could be the same because of the memory limits of the PS3.

All the new systems do not require a memory card (unless you bought a Core 360) to save your games. All come with one controller and standard hookups (360/PS3 component, Wii composite). Wii supports only Dolby Pro Logic II (2 channel audio), while the 360 and PS3 support 5.1 and up.

So what it boils down to is the 360 has more games that are fun to play right now, Wii trails second, and Sony is a far 3rd.

This seems reasonable. I went with the Xbox 360 because I figured it would be the most balanced. It has the graphics, the fun games, Xbox Live etc....

PS3 seemingly has the raw power and Wii has it's gimmick controller and is cheaper, but it is seemingly a slightly outdated type of system.

• Moderators

Quote:

What order do you expect them to go? I think this generation will be more balanced than the last with Nintendo and the Microsoft both taking a larger portion of the market share from Sony. That said, I would still expect the Playstation to be the biggest player in the long run.

Quote:

Quote:

What order do you expect them to go? I think this generation will be more balanced than the last with Nintendo and the Microsoft both taking a larger portion of the market share from Sony. That said, I would still expect the Playstation to be the biggest player in the long run.

Wasn't the Dreamcast also highly praised? What happend to it? I stopped buying new systems for a while and quit playing anything new so I never even played Dreamcast.

But I remember that it once had alot of hype and praise.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wasn't the Dreamcast also highly praised? What happend to it? I stopped buying new systems for a while and quit playing anything new so I never even played Dreamcast.

But I remember that it once had alot of hype and praise.

The Dreamcast was an outstanding system but they lost credibility in the market when they prematurely shelved the Sega Saturn and never truly recovered. When the PS2 and XBox came out, it was game over for Sega in the console market.

I don't think any of the new consoles have the kinds of problems with backing that Sega had.