• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

IPOD advice

gsuteke

don't have one, really didn't know anything about them until my wife said she would like one for the gym.

any suggestions on what to buy?

a friend who uses one for the same purposes has suggested an Ipod Nano 4GB.

price isn't an issue, however it would only be used for working out so something over the top will not be necessary. any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

don't have one, really didn't know anything about them until my wife said she would like one for the gym.

any suggestions on what to buy?

a friend who uses one for the same purposes has suggested an Ipod Nano 4GB.

price isn't an issue, however it would only be used for working out so something over the top will not be necessary. any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest the Ipod Nano 2GB 2nd generation. That's what I'm getting... It cost about 150 bucks and plays 450 songs or so. You have to make sure it's the second generation because the 2nd GN has up to 24 hours before it has to be recharged... On the other hand, the 1st generation only lasts 13 hours before a recharge.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Nano-Silv...p;s=electronics

ahhh thank you for bringing that up. Bestbuy i'm guessing? WalMart suprisingly isn't the cheapest one after doing some research.

you would suggest the 2 over the 4? what could the extra 2 gigs be used or arguably wasted for?

I was given the advice to buy the 4 based on you can transfer pictures to it if you camera gets overloaded, etc etc. then again that makes no sense if you have to download the pictures from the PC to the ipod. can you plug your digital camera straight into an IPOD?

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

thanks in advance

Quote:

ahhh thank you for bringing that up. Bestbuy i'm guessing? WalMart suprisingly isn't the cheapest one after doing some research.

you would suggest the 2 over the 4? what could the extra 2 gigs be used or arguably wasted for?

I was given the advice to buy the 4 based on you can transfer pictures to it if you camera gets overloaded, etc etc. then again that makes no sense if you have to download the pictures from the PC to the ipod. can you plug your digital camera straight into an IPOD?

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

thanks in advance

Well, if it's mainly for gym, I can't see why you'd need more than 450 songs. The 2GB also can hold pictures, but not as much. But, if pictures is something you want then you should probably go with the 4. It just depends on what you want to use it for.

I don't know if you can plug a digital camera in an Ipod. Don't have a digital camera.

If it's mostly for working out and you're not a huge music buff with a ton of music, get a nano. If price is not an issue I would definitely get 4 gig or 8 gig since it's not much more, and you can't exactly buy more memory.

I bought one recently and got a 30 gig regular one. I use it most often for working out, but I also like it for business trips, it's nice to be able to watch movies and stuff. I love it.

The main factor is that if you need to be able to run with it for 1/2 hour or more, get a nano.

Quote:

If it's mostly for working out and you're not a huge music buff with a ton of music, get a nano. If price is not an issue I would definitely get 4 gig or 8 gig since it's not much more, and you can't exactly buy more memory.

I bought one recently and got a 30 gig regular one. I use it most often for working out, but I also like it for business trips, it's nice to be able to watch movies and stuff. I love it.

The main factor is that if you need to be able to run with it for 1/2 hour or more, get a nano.

That's basically the way it is. I'm a huge music buff, but 450 songs is a pretty good bit. But it mainly depends on the use... If money isn't the issue and you want alot of pictures then the 4 is the best way to go.

Pictures isn;'t a huge thing for me and 450 songs is plenty enough for me. I'm sticking with the 2GB Nano.

• Admin

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I'd say get something other than an Ipod. There are so many alternatives out there that do everything the Ipod does and more and cost less. Look at some of the players from Toshiba (gigabeat), Sandisk and creative (zen). They get consistently high reviews, are just as simple to use as the ipod and are nowhere near as limiting.

Quote:

I know I'm going to be in the minority, but I'd say get something other than an Ipod. There are so many alternatives out there that do everything the Ipod does and more and cost less. Look at some of the players from Toshiba (gigabeat), Sandisk and creative (zen). They get consistently high reviews, are just as simple to use as the ipod and are nowhere near as limiting.

What do you by nowhere near as limiting?

• Moderators

I am a fan of tons of music so I want as large a size as possible, but if you are using something for working out why not get the iPod shuffle? It holds 200 songs (which you can switch out as desired); it only costs $79; and it is incredibly small and convenient for exercizing.

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/

indexsleeveguy20060912.jpg

Quote:

I am a fan of tons of music so I want as large a size as possible, but if you are using something for working out why not get the iPod shuffle? It holds 200 songs (which you can switch out as desired); it only costs $79; and it is incredibly small and convenient for exercizing.

I thought about it once... But it has no screen does it? Doesn't show the artwork or song title? I'll probably just get the Ipod Nano.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I thought about it once... But it has no screen does it? Doesn't show the artwork or song title? I'll probably just get the Ipod Nano.

It's not what I want but if I just getting something to work out or shoot baskets in, etc. it is what I would get. If you are working out do you really have time worry about the artwork?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's not what I want but if I just getting something to work out or shoot baskets in, etc. it is what I would get. If you are working out do you really have time worry about the artwork?

I'm not getting one just for working out... The other dude said thats the main reason he's getting one.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm not getting one just for working out... The other dude said thats the main reason he's getting one.

That is who my recommendation was for. I have the 80 gig model and love it. I can also recommend accessories for those who are interested (I am fairly minimal with accessories).

• Moderators

Quote:

i'll go with the 2 or 4 gig nano.

i agree the shuffle would be the easiest to use for the intended purpose but it has no display.

thanks for the suggestions.

As an aside, I would suggest investing a few $$ into a better pair of headphones if it is someone who seriously like their music. The latest models from apple are an improvment on the previous design but still leave something to be desired.

I had the same ??. I'm getting one this weekend and I was thinking about the shuffle. I know it doesn't have alot of storage, but I think since it's so small, it will be perfect for me to use in the gym while lifting weights, running, or even shooting some hoops. Anyone have one yet? My baby brother got a Nano and said they seem to only last about a year from the constant recharging of the battery. Sounds like the newer ones might be a little better on the battery life. I could care less about screens. I would like to know if the Shuffle shows the name of the song, artist, or anything of the like though.

Quote:

it has no display. you have to manually flip through to find songs without seeing where you are.

that's the drawback.

That's pretty much the design, though. The idea is that you never know what you're going to get next (hence "Shuffle.") If you need to pick what song you want to listen to, the other ones are probably smarter.

I might get a Zune simply because it sounds like a very foul word in Hebrew.