• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What can we get a starting PG?

T.J. Ford is the ultimate "pass-first" PG. Excellent passer, gets to the basket with ease, can convert the layup or dish to another.

Ford's shot is improving, but it is still the weakest spot of his game. He is only 5'11, but he is capable on playing good D. He put the clamps on Oklahoma's Hollis Price earlier this year. He can defend smaller PGs easily, but bigger ones would cause him problems. A favorite for National Player of the Year, and a lotttery pick if he chooses to enter the draft. And, yes, I would trade JT to get him.

Kirk Hinrich of Kansas is the 2nd best PG in the draft. Good shooter and defender. Good overall feel for the game. I'm a bit worried that he spends more time at the SG/SF positions at Kansas. A mid-1st round pick.

Reece Gaines of Louisville has really come on this year. A combo guard, much like JT, only Gaines is 6'6". Good ball handler, can take his man off the dribble. Plays well in Pitino's uptempo, pressure defense system. Mid-1st.

Luke Ridnour of Oregon will be compared to Dickau over and over again. Slightly better than Dickau is most aspects of the game, but nothing to get excited about. Quick, good outside shot, below average defender. Early 20s pick.

• Premium Member

Before reading the post, I know it would be somebody from MSU. I just KNEW...

Anyway..

What about Banks?

What about Bell?

What about Torrace Bright?

Uhhh... forgot about that Tiger right?

What about Marcus Hatten?

Banks is somewhat under the radar right now. He's right at 6-1, 205-210 lbs. He's a real good defender that can really hound opposing ball handlers. His offense is inconsistent, but he is a true point guard. He has some shot selection problems, but he has no problems getting his teammates involved. Turnovers are a bit of a problem, but he has improved.

Troy Bell is more of a scorer than a point, and Bell was in fact move to shooting guard this year. He can handle the ball, but he only gets around 3 assists per game.

Marcus Hatten is a terrific defensive player who has great range on his shot, but he's too much of a play ground player. I'd like to see him as a back up, but he could very well go the same direction that Eric Barkley went. He's got to leave the playground behind and start developing real basketball skills. His defense is impressive though.

Derek Zimmerman got within 1 point and 1 rebound of a triple double today. He had 9 points, 9 rebounds, and 11 assists. Mississippi State is the #1 defensive team in the SEC and is top 10 in the NCAA. Derek Zimmerman is a big reason, because they play a lot of man to man, and when they switch to a zone, it is a match up zone.

Torris Bright is a nice player, but he's a guy that has had more turnovers than assists in his career. He looked like an up and coming player as a freshman in 1999-2000 when he had Stromile Swift in the post, but he hasn't really developed much since then. I don't think he has a future in the NBA.

Raymond Felton will be even better than Ford/Hinrich/Ridnour. Ford is a great college player, but we only know about him cause of his speed. He is faster than everyone on the court in college, but in the NBA..... he won't be able to use his speed as an advantage cause the game is already fast in the pros.

Hinrich isn't even that GREAT of a college player. He just doesn't do too much, and he's not supposed to because he isn't very talented but he is smart. Not athletic enough to be a starting PG. Ridnour is like Hinrich. He isn't that great, but he's better I think. More offense and is a better dribbler and has good size but is not very athletic.

Now if you could combine Ford/Hinrich/Ridnour together, that's an all-pro point guard! wink.gif

The reason we know about Ford is because he is the best PG in college basketball, no question. We know about him because he led the nation in assists as a freshman. We know about him because he has led Texas to a likely #1 seed. We know about him because he is a favorite for National POY.

Ford is much more than just an ultra-quick college player, there's dozens of them out there. Ford has excellent vision, gets to the basket with ease, and can control a game without scoring a point. He will be a fantastic NBA PG.

I like Felton and think he has the potential to be very good, but he doesn't need to think about leaving UNC until at least after his junior year. He's got the raw ability, but he has to work on his PG skills.

Ditto DJ Money.

If a PG is needed, then I think Gaines is the guy. Personally I am of the opinion that the Hawks need to be blown up and reconfigured. Pick your player to keep and build around him. A top 7 pick should be good with some kind of plan in mind.

I don't know how well Steve Blake will do in the NBA but the Hawks need a guard that has good vision and passing ability like Blake. He doesn't need to score but has good range when needed. With the big three offensively for the Hawks, I think that Blake and Heinrich have the PG traits that the Hawks need. Dickau needs to get quicker and more confident out there but could develop into that player but he is also limited by his height. Justin Hamilton could develop into an Eric Snow type player to go with Jason Terry, i.e. Snow and Iverson. Hamilton is a defensive whiz.

• Premium Member

About Henrich and Ford and Ridnour, I disagree.

Henrich is a natural leader/Floor General. Coaches son of the tradition of Pistol Pete. Watch him go pro, get with a program and be a great BU PG.

Ford is just awesome. Head and shoulders better than everyone else.

Ridnour is going to be White Payton. Score first PG out of Oregon. What more can you ask for.

TJ Ford is Brevin Knight all over again. He won't be a lottery pick because NBA teams don't like 5-9 PGs, and trust me. TJ Ford is 5-9 at the most. He's not going to declare anyway.

Luke Ridnour isn't a score first point guard. He's a point guard that can flat out shoot the ball from the perimeter, but he's definitely a pure point guard. He may average 19 ppg, but he also averages 6.7 apg and is great at getting his teammates involved.

Hinrich doesn't even play point guard for Kansas. He's Bryce Drew all over again. Aaron Miles plays PG for Kansas.

The top point guards that will eventually end up declaring for this draft, IMO:

1. Luke Ridnour/Oregon

2. Marcus Banks/UNLV

3. Brandin Knight/Pittsburgh

4. Kirk Hinrich/Kansas

5. Derrick Zimmerman/Mississippi State

Then there are the 1/2 combo guys who may play PG:

1. Reece Gaines/Louisville

2. Marquis Daniels/Auburn

3. Bernard King Jr/Texas A&M

I do not think TJ Ford or Chris Thomas will declare for this draft. Duhon and Felton will stay in school as well.

TJ Ford won't work for us IF we plan on keeping JT. That backcourt would be way to small. I think we mainly need to get some bench of help from the draft. Some big bangers wouldn't hurt and we could use a 3 pt shooter off of the bench. I think we should get a veteran PG from FA, so I don't PG is a good option to draft.

The big knock on TJ Ford, other than his height, is that he isn't a good shooter. He doesn't have much range on his shot, and he's a guy that teams will let him shoot open jumpers.

That was the same knock on Brevin.

Both are terrific defenders that can pressure the basketball and get steals without having to play the passing lanes, but neither are a threat to score very much.

Looking at the draft for this year which is still a ways away and assuming the Hawks don't sign any high profile free agents or make any trades, shouldn't we look at certain positions the hawks will target. After looking at the roster, I think Shooting guard and small forward are our two biggest needs. Here are my top 3 at each position where the Hawks draft, what do you guys think?

Shooting Guard

1) Dwayne Wade SG, Marquette

2) Reece Gaines SG/PG, Louisville

3) Actually no one else but NBADraft.net has Boris Diaw slated around there: http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/borisdiaw.htm

Small Forward

1) Josh Howard SF, Wake Forest

2) Jarvis Hayes SF/SG, Georgia

3) Darious Rice SF, Miami

Second Round

Shooting Guards

1) Benard King SG, Texas A&M

2) Dontay Jones SG, Duke

3) Brooks Hall SG/SF, Dayton

Small Forward

1) Kyle Korver SF, Creighton

2) Brandon Hunter SF, Ohio

3) Luke Walton SF, Arizona

Shooting guard will definitely be a target, and I would say the other position would be center.

But, I will not be surprised at all if Pete once again goes looking for that tall point guard, or looks to draft a point guard period.

A lot will depend on what the Hawks decide to do with Jason Terry in the offseason.