Convince me Horford can be our CENTER!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

the point is we are discussing horford like he's a 3-year vet in this league...he has played 12 games in the NBA and is already exceeding expectations and almost averaging a double-double
Actually he is averaging a double single. He had two big rebounding games (Suns w/o Amare and 53 minutes against undersized Seatle) which inflate his rebounding numbers.

Quote:

c) he DOES bring inside scoring if you'd watch the games...he took it up against duncan several times
And got capped twice. he is getting his inside shots blocked 32% of the time.

Quote:

he can command double-teams in the post
I'll believe that when i see it.

Quote:

horford also shows improvement ALREADYhe has had ONE turnover in the past 3 games (2 in the past 4)before that, u were posting constantly about him being turnover prone we said he was a rookie who would fix that soonand he did
And i have given him credit for that. But the holes the Hawks had in their roster last year remain unfilled.

Quote:

ok, how about thisso far, he is OUTPLAYING the playoff centers he has faced, based on the small sample size stats
He started last game guarding Jefferson who was technically playing the 4. Madsen was their starting 5.Does Horford get credit for Madsens lack of production?Kristic was hurt, Amare was out. Who is Detroits staring C? Dallas started Diop.

a) inflate his rebounding numbers?oh come on...he has NEVER gotten less than 7 rebounds in an NBA game...in fact, add in 8 more preseason games and same fact except for ONE 6 rebound gameit's not like he regularly rebounds 4 times a game and then got a few 15 rebound games that inflate his stats in this small sample sizehis LOWEST ever is

Quote:

But...

Quote:

BTW do you know who is getting their shots inside blocked more often than anyone on the roster?
I would assume this would be Horford... Mainly because he's one of the two players we have that score a majority of their points inside. Shelden is the other but he doesn't play enough to compare.Marvin, Smoove, and Chillz all score more points outside than in.
Smith and Chillz score twice as many points inside as out. You really should check your facts once in awhile.

Quote:

al is outrebounding, outassisting, outblocking, outscoring and better efg% than shelden on a per48 basishe also is holding his opp to 9.8per while shelden's is at 23.8per
Again with the 82games.com stats LOL. You just don't get it.Those PER and +/- stats just aren't worth anything in small sample sizes.Last season's PER 40 minute numbers for Shelden are very similar to what Horford is doing now yet Shelden was dogged while Horford gets praised. This years numbers for Shelden aren't very relevant since most games he doesn't even play 10 minutes.

Al Horford is light years better than Shelden. That isn't saying a lot but its certainly true. Al is just a better basketball player and a better athlete. He has some low post skill which will he will build on. He also runs the floor exceptionally well for a big guy.Horford is in the top 3 in every early rookie of the year poll I've seen. he is actually number 1 in Sports Illustrated so far, or at least he was the last I saw.I'm not bummed about Horford in any way. But, he will have challenges against better low post player who have size advantages. But he is still better than anyone else we could have drafted at 3 and thats the first time I've ever said that about BK's first pick.

After watching how Horford manufactured offensive fouls out of Shaq and Alonzo, if you aren't convinced, you just have to wait, and the sheer weight of his impact on a larger sample of games will do it to you. Obviously, he is a natural power forward, but he is capable of playing center effectively better than an average center in the league already. The adjustments he has made to eliminate his turnovers are certainly admirable. I don't think you'll take as long as Diesel took with Marvin. Do you really think Horford's extra standing reach over Shelden isn't helping him much?

Quote:

After watching how Horford manufactured offensive fouls out of Shaq and Alonzo, if you aren't convinced,
I would rather see him manufacture some points. He scored 6 on 3-10 shooting against Miami and didn't get to the ft line once. Shaq and Zo finished the game with 3 fouls apiece so they weren't in foul trouble at all. Shaq was 8-11 from the field.

Quote:

Do you really think Horford's extra standing reach over Shelden isn't helping him much?
It helps some but then Shelden is stronger than Horford.

Quote:

Quote:

After watching how Horford manufactured offensive fouls out of Shaq and Alonzo, if you aren't convinced,
I would rather see him manufacture some points. He scored 6 on 3-10 shooting against Miami and didn't get to the ft line once. Shaq and Zo finished the game with 3 fouls apiece so they weren't in foul trouble at all. Shaq was 8-11 from the field.
Shaq made Zaza look like a girl, but he was far from that with Horford. Sure, Horf has never faced creatures like Shaq and Alonzo and it wasn't easy for him but he is a rookie and played them much better than most people expected. Shaq was walking up the court at times because he got tired of chasing Horford. I wanted Yi but Horford has exceeded my expectation as an NBA center and I can already see he is a quick learner and he'll be so much better by mid-season. He is just so dependable now that he has figured out how to cut down his turnovers.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you really think Horford's extra standing reach over Shelden isn't helping him much?
It helps some but then Shelden is stronger than Horford.
When you say Horford isn't significantly better than Shelden, I wonder if we are watching the same games.

Quote:

Quote:

Who would have been a better choice to help the team right now?
Right now probably nobody. But that doesn't change the fact that he isn't doing much so far that Shelden couldn't do. He might later on but isn't now.
Horford is a much better shotblocker than Shelden and has better post moves; I haven't seen Shelden post up much when he got PT.The fact is that Horford is Shelden with shotblocking and passing ability.