• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ANYBODY got an iphone?

Diesel

• Admin

I know one guy who drank the koolaid and bought one. He's already complaining about the lack of real business email.

It's a evolutionary item, not revolutionary. The only real new thing that it offers is the ability to view web pages without screwing up the formatting on them. Other than that it does nothing new. Don't even get me started on how the battery only has a 300 charge lifespan and CAN'T BE REMOVED.

By the time they put out the 2nd gen iphone the real cell phone companies will have out-innovated them two times over.

apple blows.

Speaking of website formatting, I browse the squawk on my Blackberry 8800 fairly often and it's not too bad. For whatever reason I can't get the font size of the thread titles to be a reasonable size (they are way too large) but it's not bad overall.

I heard that Apple was coming out with a new product soon too. Basically Steve Jobs would crap in his hands and put it in a shiny colored package and call it the iProduct and he would only charge $199 for it.

• Moderators

Congrats! I am getting an exercise bike pretty soon to try to improve my cardio and knock off some pudge around the middle myself. Right now I get exercise twice a week and that just isn't going to cut it long-term.

• Admin

Apple and Jobs specifically are masters are convincing people that their evolutionary products are revolutionary and that people can't live without them.

Case in point:

I have a friend who is a windows admin by career. He's a bright guy who just bought an iphone. The other day he pastes me a link for a $500 linksys media player to connect to his TV. My response was "I'd just buy an xbox 360 if I didn't alread have one". He does already have one, but his response was "but I can't stream quicktime to it".

Naturally I have to ask why he'd even be using quicktime, NOBODY uses quicktime except apple anymore. His response "so I can watch the tv shows I get on itunes (for his iphone) on my TV". So I ask him, "You'd pay $500 for a box just so you could watch those low quality itunes videos on your tv?". HIs response. YES.

See, apple, in less than one week, had convinced him that the iphone along with itunes was a neccessity of life. He was purchasing TV shows to put on his iphone so he could take them with him (why I can't imagine). This in turn lead him to seek out a media player to play these same videos on his TV.

Fortunately for him, I am his friend and I told him how he can do the same thing using his xbox360 and still play these quicktime videos....

once again, apple blows.

Overall Apple is pure marketing. It is truly brilliant marketing I will give them that though.

I finally got an iPod last year when I bought an 80gb video one for my wife and took her broken one in and actually got a refurbed 80gb video iPod back so I got the same one as her. I have to admit that it has been really convenient not having to burn CDs and iTunes is pretty nice for organizing my music. Not to mention my black iPod goes extremely well in my Nighthawk Black Pearl TL smile.gif

• Moderators

Why would he ever want to play those videos on his television? That is insane.

Personally, I have interest in paying for any videos to play on my video ipod due to the size/quality issues. I will download whatever I can/want for free from google videos but wouldn't pay for them.

I have moved away from downloading anything from itunes for the same reason other than a few "singles" where I wouldn't want more than one or two tracks off the album. Otherwise, just get the CD at a reduced price and rip it at any bit rate you want without the concern of DRM being a pain.

• Moderators

One thing I have loved about getting the iPod that isn't particular to owning an iPod is getting back into current music over the last few years. After college and getting married, I slowly fell out of touch with a lot of current music. Not as easy to listen to a band like Tool when 90% of the time I am listening to music either at work, in the car with my wife or son, or at home. Getting the iPod really put me back into touch with a lot of music I would not have listened to without having the option to put on a pair of headphones.

Of course I have a four year old whose favorite song is "I wanna be sedated" so take that with a grain of salt, I guess!

Funny you should mention that. I was driving into work this morning and one of the older ladies from HR actually clutched her purse and gave me a weird look when I drove past playing "If I was your Vampire" by Manson, perhaps a little loud for her tastes, but still I thought it was funny. I don't care how old I get I will never stop listening to my music as loud as I can (until I lose my hearing lol)

That's the word I got from a friend that works for Apple...i love gadgets so i couldn't wait for the next one...he begged me to wait.

He said the next one will be better in terms of internet speed and MMS etc.

Also AT&T got exclusive rights to it for the 1st 6 months...most every other major carrier will have it after that.

Do you consider yourself a 360 guy? I always thought you weren't a console fan at all. I like my 360 but I would LOVE it if they started making their sports games at 1080 and it would be nice if they would find a way to make it play nice with my Sony TV to where it would actually display at 1080P.

I DEFINITELY don't think the PS3 is worth what they are charging for it.

• Admin

I've become a 360 fan just because there hasen't been many PC games worth playing of late, but with Team fortress 2, quake wars and Hellgate coming, that looks to be changing. I like the system and I like the approach Microsoft has taken with it. They've got great games and Microsoft is playing to win. Sony has never had to face a competitor like Microsoft and it shows. Microsoft is not a company that gives up market share without making you pay a heavy price for it.

All upcoming EA sports releases will run at 1080 on the 360, but only 720 on the PS3. So there you go! So much for the PS3 being this vast powerhouse of a machine.

1080 really doesn't mean much to me as the games really don't look any better and I'd rather have the extra framerate than microscopically sharper models. You could always sell yours and buy an Elite with hdmi. That should solve your problems.

I used to be one of these anti-ps3 guys that figured it would EVENTUALLY be successful, but I don't know anymore. It has so many things working against it. Their development software is a mess, their online service is weak and their games lineup is pathetic. It doesn't help that they don't really have any A-list exclusive titles coming out until march 08 and it's entirely possible that some of those will be cross-platform by then (mgs4, FF).

PS3 is about to drop $100 in price....

maybe that will ad to someone's argument :-D

Also, to compete, xbox 360 is getting price drops.

Basically, $50-70 price cuts are expected on all three Xbox 360 models. Wedbush Morgan-analyst Michael Pachter predicts the Elite will drop from $479 to $399, the Premium from $399 to $349, and the Core from $299 to $249.