• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Carmelo to stay at Syracuse?

DJ_Money

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/6286874

The quote that has caused this uproar:

"This is my first time making it to the Final Four," said Anthony, then adding a surprise, "hopefully not my last time."

Anthony was coy after asking what his statement meant.

"That's a hint, ya'll figure it out," Anthony said.

---------------------

So...

I'd like to see Anthony stay another year, he's good for college basketball. He knows he won't go #1 this year, probably not #2. If he really wants to go #1, he will return. It won't change much though, he will still be the best player in college basketball.

Considering how weak this draft already was, it would be hurt even more if guys like Anthony, Ford, Hayes (who still isn't 100%), and Bosh stay another year.

I hope for the NCAAs sake that Carmelo comes out because if not then Syracuse will run the table next season. They are being led by one of the best freshman classes since Michigans Fab 5 and have a legit superstar on their team. If he stays, look out college basketball, its gonna get ugly. Of course as a Syracuse fan I hope that he stays in unless the Hawks get a top 3 pick of their own to keep. Go 'Cuse

I'm not a fan of guys coming out early. Regardless of the factors, "immediate" earning potential etc., I believe most profit in the long run from staying three years.

HOWEVER- by coming out early, going at the latest number three, he should ride the hype he has. I'm not comparing the two, but it's much like what Dunleavy did last year. Though perhaps not quite ready (I had syracuse going to the final game and losing to Kentucky, so I watched quite a few of their games; Warrick impressed in many ways moreso than Carmelo, but that's another issue), Carmelo should come out before critics start to pick apart his game. IMO, he needs to work some on shot selection and moves in the post, and to a certain degree, playing without the ball, his skill level being what it is, I don't think he's going to learn this in college, esp. in the Big East.

He could go number two, depending on where the picks fall. Time to learn to play with the big boys.

every player should come out when their stock is at the highest... Anthony performed well even w/ a back injury during the championship game.

If he does stay and does not repeat his success of fail to put up better numbers, the CRITICS will pick apart his game like weaseldom said...

while im not a fan of underclassman going to the draft, thinking in the players POINT OF VIEW- they need to do whats best for them... enter the NBA @ their highest performance level.

If Carmelo believes he can be better at the college level and if his mom keeps insisting that he stays in school, Syracuse is gonna be hard to beat next year and the year after that!

"their highest performance level"

that's just it though, may times guys come out because their stock is highest...and end up flopping in the pros or even being drafted in the dreaded second round.

With the influx or foreigners being what it is, and looking to continue and increase, if you're not a guaranteed lotto pick, one shouldn't come out. By staying in, those who can improve their game in college do, and greatly increase their future earning potential due to going towards the immediate paycheck.

However, guys like Carmello, with his size and game, aren't going to learn that much more at the college level as far as on the court skills IMO. His stock is such that he should come out...

• Premium Member

It's a tough call - whether you are better served learning in practice in the NBA or playing vs. weaker opponents in college. What do you guys think about guys going to Europe for a year or two before entering the NBA...that way they could learn quicker?

I think it's fantastic, esp. since it gives them a chance to play iwth people of vastly different skill sets and methods of offense and the game in general.

If Stern gets his age-limit wish by working with the Players Union, then be prepared for that (guys going to Europe to play..and get paid) to happen quite a bit. Esp. with the several academically challenged HS students with pro dreams.

My preference would be for the CBA and NBDL to unite and reorganize into a minors system similar to, though not identical to, MLB. Using smaller towns etc. to build base of players. The only question I have there is whether to go all the way and follow MLB, creating feeder teams etc. Such a thing would undoubtedly improve NBA cloute, esp. in smaller markets, but with Basketball's much more limited rosters, I wonder if it would styme the arrival of talent into the league simply because of full rosters etc.

One thought might be to create an East/West minor leagues and teams only being able to draft out of thier respective conference's minor leagues (better for players who go to East Coast teams playing most of their games in front of EC "Crowds"). Just some food for thought.

As for Carmelo, I'm not sure that he will be consistently challenged enough in college, other than by the means of physical bruising and having to rise above that, but I think he'll get that treatment to more severe degree in the pros. He won't go lower than 3rd...he might as well join the party. He has nothing left ot prove on a college court.

I think Anthony most likely enters the draft now. He's achieved the goal so many players have to work 4 years for, the national championship. He is already the best player in college basketball, despite what awards may be given to T.J. Ford. Carmelo seems like the ultimate team player, so the only reason he could have for coming back is to win National POY, and if he really wants to go #1 in the draft.

I don't think heading to Europe gets a player ready for the NBA any quicker. You're playing a different style of basketball against inferior competition. Besides, sending an 18-year-old kid half a world away from everything he knows can't have any positive effects.

HS players' personal issues aside, I still think exposure to a different brand of basketball, one driven by team and system play rather than one-on-one/ athleticism and me-ball would help many young players round out their games and be better able to adjust to the many different styles that one sees during an NBA season (and plays in that matter...think about injuries to crucial players and how the others must adjust accordingly).

True enough, living in Europe for a HS kid would be extremely tough...which is why I'd prefer to see the minor leagues come up some in talent, visibility, and association with the NBA. I was pleased when the NBDL was created, and enjoyed watching the LowGators season - showed a lot of thigns that go in behind the scenes etc.

Having multiple (two really I believe) farm Leagues that are completely disjointed and possess no true ties to the NBA is detrimental. Fuse them. Create two conferences based on geography and allow players to remain within their conference upon being called up. The pay would increase and more young Europeans MIGHt come over (though they can't make the money that they can in Europe).

Europe's money for mid-grade NBA talent is what keeps so many of them away for so long (see the WNBA problem and how most of thier players supplement their income in the offseason).