• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does anyone know the number of PingPong balls

Blunt91

the Hawks would get with their current record? Would there be a big difference in the number of Ping Pong Balls with 31 wins vs 33wins which I think is what we will end up winning. The reason I asked this is that The Rockets, whom you all know won the draft last year, only won 28games last year and still got the 1stpick. Is there a big difference in the number of balls for 28 wins as there is to 31wins?? I am just trying to guage on whether the Hawks have a legitmate chance of getting some luck and getting the 1st pick. If we ended up with the 2nd or 3rd pick i would try to package it with RObinson & Theo for Shawn Marion & Filler.

I'm not sure about the # of ping pong balls per pick but it would be crazy to trade the 2nd/3rd pick & Robinson or Theo for Shawn Marion & filler! The 2nd/3rd picks this year are potential franchise players...for Marion??? If I were Pheonix this would be the greatest day in franchise history. I like Marion but his jumper is suspect and definately not worth a top pick, especially when you throw in Big Dog or Theo.

You think Anthony is a better player than Marion?? I don't watch college ball that much and haven't seen a whole lot of Carmelo but do you honestly think he can come in and make more of an impact than Marion? Darko might be good but it will take him a 1 or 2 to adjust, he is somewhat slim in bodyframe.That is what it would take to get Marion either the 2 or 3rd pick, The Suns will not give him up for the 6thpick in the draft. Marion's Jumpshot is improving, I watched the suns in a game on ESPN last friday and Marion was in the zone, slashing to the basket and even nailing 3pointers. I really don't want to discuss trades, I mainly wanted to know about the number of balls we would get.

Eh...I've gotta jump in on this.

You would be nuts to trade Anthony for Marion. Carmelo has the ability to lead a team to a championship, by himself. I doubt Marion ever wins a title, and he won't do it on his own. He'd needs help from Marbury/Stoudamire.

Just looking at how Anthony plays and projecting his status in the NBA, he has the potential to be an MVP. Marion isn't quite at that status.

The fact is the top 3 picks look to be franchise type players. Carmelo might not put up the numbers Marion does next year but if you know that you have a player that has the potential to be a McGrady or Kobe type player, no one in their right mind would trade that player away for Marion. And they would have to be completely insane to throw in Big Dog, no matter what people think of him. If we are lucky enough to land any of the top three picks, I would be extremely suprised if the Hawks did not keep it.

Carmelo doesn't have McGrady/Kobe type athleticism.

Right now, Carmelo Anthony is Glenn Robinson, and he will become what Glenn Robinson could/should have become (if he had put more effort into working on his weaknesses) if he works on his game and shows great work ethic.

Watching Carmelo, I believe he has a great upside because I feel he has some inherent basketball skills that lots of guys who are super athletes don't have.

Anthony is a very good mid-range shooter who should get better with age. He's got a good post up game. He's very good going right with the ball, but he stays away from going left with the ball, so I don't see him as a guy who will be able to blow past NBA defenders like he has NCAA defenders. This is where the Glenn Robinson comparison comes in, because he has Glenn's ability to get his shot off with minimal movement. He's got great footwork, much like Glenn, and a high, quick release point on his shot.

He's a good rebounder. You can't tell much about his defense since he plays in a zone scheme.

Offensively, he needs to continue to extend his range, work on his overall ball handling ability, and work on his left hand so defenders won't try to force him to go left. Defensively, it's all about effort. If he puts forth the effort, he will be a good defender.

This is where Big Dog fell off. He got to the league and immediately started averaging 20 ppg. Big Dog never took the time to improve his overall ball handling ability nor did he take the initiative to become a better defender. For one season, George Karl got Big Dog to become a more well rounded player, and the result was the Bucks went to the ECF. Big Dog fell back into his old ways though.

Carmelo can't fall into that trap, IMO.

I agree with everything you said but let me add this, I think his basketball I.Q. is very high for his age. He never seems to force things when they aren't there(excluding a few forced jumpers). I also believe he has a good nose for the ball, which is apparent by his positioning in the paint and on the offensive glass. He should be a great pro.

To answer your question about the # of PingPong balls;

They are not relative to record, but seeding. It doesn't matter whether you are 0-82 or 20-62, if you are worst you get the biggest number of "balls". Hawks will most likely have a 2,9% chance for #1 pick. There is a fun lottery generator in espn.com

FYI Memphis is the only team with the possibility to get both 1st and 2nd pick. Probability is something like 0,03%...

I was over at clutchcity.net ,which you long term hawksquakers know has a simulated NBA lottery generator. They state that it is accurately based on the real NBA lottery. Well according to them the Hawks have 36pingpong balls as the eight seed. It is weird because the Wizards are have a slightly better record at 37&43 and only have 11pingpong balls. The site still states that it is the lottery for 2002 draft but I checked the records of the teams(including ours) and it coincides with this years records. Apparently the teams' wins & losses are correct but they just haven't changed the heading to 2003.

It's a mute point. You won't have to worry about trading the #2 or #3 pick for Marion because the Suns would never do it anyway.

Carmelo MIGHT one day become a 21 point 10 rebound 3 asst 2.3 steal 1 bpg player that shoots 45% from the field and 39% from three point range.

Marion does that already. No reason to trade him.

It had been a while since I watched an entire Suns game and I was suprised to see that Marion has learned to shoot from the perimeter. His jumper isn't the prettiest thing but it is effective. I just checked his field goal % versus Ray Allen's and it's better from the field and 3pt.

Marion .452 fg - .390 3pt vs. Allen .439 fg - .375 3pt.

When did this happen? And his 9.7 rebounds per game has to be one of the highest for wing players. I don't see the Suns moving him. But if a team offered up Carmelo, it would be difficult to pass him up because of his upside.

• 2 weeks later...

ORDER OF SELECTION FOR NBA DRAFT 2003

Teams entered in the NBA Draft Lottery, which will determine the order of selection for the first 13 picks, listed in order of overall record (worst record first) and chances out of 1,000 in the Lottery:

Team Record Chances 1st Pick 2nd Pick 3rd Pick

Denver 17-65 225 22.50% 20.30% 17.63%

Cleveland 17-65 225 22.50% 20.30% 17.63%

Toronto 24-58 157 15.70% 15.80% 15.66%

Miami 25-57 120 12.00% 12.68% 13.39%

L.A. Clippers 27-55 89 8.90% 9.75% 10.78%

Memphis (1) 28-54 64 6.40% 7.20% 8.23%

Chicago 30-52 44 4.40% 5.05% 5.91%

Atlanta (2) 35-47 29 2.90% 3.37% 4.02%

New York 37-45 15 1.50% 1.77% 2.14%

Washington 37-45 14 1.40% 1.65% 2.00%

Golden State 38-44 7 0.70% 0.83% 1.01%

Seattle 40-42 6 0.60% 0.71% 0.87%

Houston 43-39 5 0.50% 0.59% 0.73%

The order for the remainder of the first round picks is as follows:

14. Milwaukee (3)

15. Orlando

16. Boston

17. Phoenix

18. New Orleans

19. Utah

20. Philadelphia (to Boston)

21. Indiana (to Atlanta)

22. New Jersey

23. Portland

24. L.A. Lakers

25. Detroit (4)

26. Minnesota

27. Sacramento (to Memphis via Orlando)

28. San Antonio

29. Dallas

2003 SECOND ROUND DRAFT CHOICE ORDER

30. Cleveland (5)

31. Denver (to New York)

32. Toronto (to L.A. Lakers)

33. Miami

34. L.A. Clippers

35. Memphis (to Milwaukee or to Seattle via Milwaukee)

36. Chicago

37. Atlanta

38. Washington

39. New York

40. Golden State

41. Seattle

42. Orlando (6)

43. Milwaukee (7)

44. Houston

45. Phoenix (to Chicago)

46. Boston (to Denver)

47. Utah

48. New Orleans

49. Indiana

50. Philadelphia (8)

51. New Jersey

52. L.A. Lakers (to Toronto)

53. Detroit (to Miami or to Chicago via Miami)

54. Portland

55. Minnesota

56. Sacramento

57. Dallas (9)

58. San Antonio (to Detroit)