• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which PG does Atlanta go after?

KB21

Ridnour.jpg

1. Luke Ridnour 6-2 175 Oregon

True point guard who may be a Jason Williams clone without the attitude. Great shooter, tremendous passer, excels in the open floor and in the half court set. Not a good defender.

Nelson_HS.jpg

2. Jameer Nelson 6-0 190 St. Josephs

Tremendous floor leader who knows how to run his team. Tenacious defender. His lack of height is questioned.

a-banksnew.jpg

3. Marcus Banks 6-0 200 UNLV

Not a true point guard, but is learning. Great on the ball defender who is athletic and built like a runningback. Not a great perimeter shooter.

p-thomas-c-2.jpg

4. Chris Thomas 6-1 182 Notre Dame

True floor leader. Thin and gets pushed around defensively. Runs the offense and makes things go for the Fighting Irish.

Problem: None of these players is over 6'2". If you bring one of them in, you can't keep JT around. I don't think any of these guys will ever touch JT in terms of talent, so I wouldn't run JT off just to get a "true" PG.

Ridnour: I still hold to it, this guy is a slightly improved version of Dickau.

Nelson: I like Nelson, I just can't see him as a great NBA PG. Closest player to TJ Ford in terms of sheer PG ability, but Nelson can't shoot either.

Banks: Possibly the quickest player in college basketball, but does lack great skills. 2nd Round material.

Thomas: He's crazy if he comes out. Good PG skills, good shooter, but size always kills him. Any time he is guarded by a larger player, he dissapears.

The guy I still want is Reece Gaines. Not a "true" PG, but a combo guard like JT. He is 6'6", so he can play in the backcourt with JT. Can shoot and penetrate, took over the game with Butler, who had no answer for him. Great athlete, good defender. Comes from Pitino's system, which has produced many great NBA players. I doubt the guy is there at the Indy pick, and I think we should try to trade up for him.

Well, a guy I think that is constantly overlooked is Marquis Daniels at Auburn. The guy is a terrific ball handler that was the point man for Auburn's offense more often than not this season. Marquis actually played point guard during his junior season and lead the team in scoring, rebounding, and assists.

He's 6-5, 205 lbs, very good handles, and a good feel for the game.

Then there is the 6-3 Leandro Barbosa from Brazil that will be in the draft. There may be a couple of Euro guys who could fit into a 2 point guard offense with Terry. Beno Udrih who plays for Maccabi Tel Aviv is 6-4 and is a PG/SG combo player, and Zoran Planinic is a 6-6 combo guard who has good ball handling ability but lacks top level athleticism.

We get the best pointguard or shootingguard available at the time we pick. We shouldn't worry about getting a combo guard just to satisfy Terry who may not be with the team at the end of the summer.