• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OBAMA makes racist comment on Philly radio

NJHAWK

This morning he said his grandma was a " typical white person " because she gets worried when she see's black people walking down the same side of the street as her. If Clinton or McCain said anything like this they would be forced out of the election.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with one thing you said and disagree with another. Firstly, I don't believe what Obama said was racist at all, assuming he did say that. The term "racist" has been watered down to include remarks that are in fact not racist but rather prejudiced or bigoted. Racism is supposed to mean the belief in the genetic superiority of one race over another. This is hardly a definition that is used anymore as the term, as I stated earlier, has become more of a petty attack for those looking to evoke emotions out of another instead of having a meaningful and objective dialogue.

Secondly, you are absolutely right that if McCain, or any non-leftist, white person had said that, they would be lambasted by the media without any hesitation. But that's the bias that only a fool would deny exists in the mainstream media. I can't say that Clinton would necessarily be treated as harshly as McCain but she would get some heat for it....but not NEARLY as much as McCain would.

I think if almost any white person especially one running for president said the words so and so was a "typical black person", it would be very quickly labled as racist. I think had Hillary said this her campaign would be over by tomorrow.

• Moderators

Quote:

This morning he said his grandma was a " typical white person " because she gets worried when she see's black people walking down the same side of the street as her.

What he said is:

Quote:

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother -- a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

Quote:

The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it.

I don't think his statements are the same as your summary.

What the typical American doesn't realize is - at the current cost-per-barrel of oil, Iraq is sitting on 25 TRILLION dollars worth of "known" oil deposits. 25 TRILLION! We can't let those goobers control that just because they were feeding their camels on top of it for a thousand years or so. Iraq has 3 to 4 times the oil that the USA has. We need that oil.

Wars are generally fought over resources - we need theirs - and we have better guns so we take it - that's all there is to it. detective.gif

Quote:

How is it a racist when he is speaking from personal expierence about his grandmother

I think when he uttered the words " typical white person " that included a shyyt load more folks than just his grandma. Unless his grandma is the only white person. lol

And as we waste time with this foolishness.........

- The war in Iraq continues

- Gasoline prices are still making life difficult for the average American

- The borders are still unprotected

- The economy is still in a nosedive

- And countless families don't have health insurance

Foolishness? I think its should be pretty important to know whether a man you are going to vote for for President is racist or not. Any way you slice it, this was a flat out stupid comment. This would be all over the news if McCain or Hillary said this toward black people. If it does get alot of pub its just going to put more doubt in peoples minds about Obama. I was hopeing the Dems would have a strong person running to make sure every last morsale of the BUsh administartion was removed and the country can start to dig ourselves out of the huge hole that idiot put us in. I have been skeptical of the hype around Obama because he mentions change but hasnt really revealed what he will do to change the country. He doesnt have a whole lot of experiance which may be a good thing. However if he gets the democratic nomination halfwit comments like he made today are only going to ensure us of another potential war monger in the office.

If your going to quote someone, you should utilize the whole quote. Not just the part that proves your point. Even though what you quoted does not prove sh*t. Anyone can put random one liners on here. I beleive that seems to be a pattern of yours. One should get their facts straight. If you want to know about Obama read his book. Go to his website and see where he stands on issues. Don't quote a 5 second sound byte, and then call someone racist. Stop being lazy and read his entire speech. Then you can stop this half azz reporting.

Furthermore, lets keep this blog strictly basketball, at least until the season ends.

Quote:

If your going to quote someone, you should utilize the whole quote. Not just the part that proves your point.

Yes please that is lazy. Without context a benign quote can seem inflammatory.

Quote:

Furthermore, lets keep this blog strictly basketball, at least until the season ends.

actually the lounge forum is intended for topics outside of basketball.

Since Obama is mixed, he has the best of both worlds. He can bang on either side of the equator and not be labeled a racist, right? Oh wait, I forgot he was drafted in the second round by the black race [(#1 overall: Tiger Woods) See Dave Chappelle's 'Racial Draft']

Quote:

Quote:

This morning he said his grandma was a " typical white person " because she gets worried when she see's black people walking down the same side of the street as her.

What he said is:

Quote:

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother -- a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.

These people are a part of me. And they are a part of America, this country that I love.

Quote:

The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But
she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction
that's been been bred into our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it.

I don't think his statements are the same as your summary.

Actually, it's exactly like his summary without all the sugarcoating before or after. Here I'll show you...

Obama

Quote:

she is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know there's a reaction

OP

Quote:

What's the difference in the above two quotes?

Quote:

This morning he said his grandma was a " typical white person " because she gets worried when she see's black people walking down the same side of the street as her. If Clinton or McCain said anything like this they would be forced out of the election.

Jesse Jackson said something similar years ago. He said he was walking down the street in the dark and heard someone behind him. He looked to see who was there and, seeing it was a white guy, felt relieved.

He called it one of the saddest days of his life.

You haven't been a member here for long so you don't know the history but political threads have gotten seriously out of hand in the past and have at times been banned from discussion here. Politics and religion are the two things that can really set people off and if it gets out of hand we will of course have to stop it.