• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No Country for Old Men = Overrated

Blunt91

I rented No Country for Old Men today and came away dissapointed. The movie started out pretty good even though it moved at a slow pace there was still enough suspense to keep my attention. IMO the movie falls apart after 1 of the main characters played by Josh Brolin gets killed. If you are going to kill 1 of the 2 main characters let it be at the end of the movie. There was still about 20 minutes of the movie left after he dies. The Bad guy in the film Anton Sugar played by Javier Bardem kills just about everybody and still gets away at the end. The ending of the movie was very lame. I was like WTF?? when the credits started to role. The actors did a good job in the movie but the script was lame and could have been better.

BTW what kind of a killer uses a Airtank to kill people & unlock doors??

First off, there are 3 main characters and only 1 of them died before the end of the movie. Secondly, I think it's pretty great that the movie didn't have a cookie cutter happy hollywood ending. Third, it was pretty damn creative for them to come up with the idea to use an air tank like that and it seems like a pretty damn quiet and effective way to break in to someplace or to kill someone. You are the first person I have heard of say anything negative about this movie so for anyone else reading this thread I would suggest that you rent it and judge for yourself.

Charles Barkley stated he didn't like the movie a few weeks ago. Yeah there were 3 main characters but I don't really put Tommy Lee Jones character on the same level as Brolin & Javier. They should have let Tommy Lee Confront Javier back at that hotel but some how Javier escapes. I never said more than 1 main character gets killed off only Brolin and I thought he should have lived at least till the end, and I don't see how the ending with Tommy Lee sitting at the table talking had anything to do with the movie. Too each his own.

Okay so there is the nut job Barkley and the obviously nuts (for being a Hawks fan) Blunt91 who don't like movie. That's still a pretty low number of people who didn't like it. In real life the bad guy gets away a hell of a lot more than what happens in Hollywood so I don't see why it's such a shock to see that happen in a movie from time to time. Obviously Bardems character was a guy with a reputation for getting things done and apparently hadn't been caught before so it's certainly believable that he would get away again. To each their own though.

While I liked the movie I have to agree with not liking the part of Brolin's death. I don't mind so much that he died just that they didn't show it after such a great chess match during the movie. As far as Tommy's comments at the end, he was simply stating how his time has passed and he doesn't fit with people are today thus the name of the movie, no country for old men. Without that part, the title doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:

They should have let Tommy Lee Confront Javier back at that hotel but some how Javier escapes

They were not really there at the same time. The movie is truly about Tommy's character. That's why it's called No Country for Old Men. He finally realizes that the violence that has come these is too much for him. Why people thought this movie was really about a couple of guys fighting over money when the movie is called "No Country for Old Men" is beyond me.

To each their own

I hate that cliche

Anyway, f*ck Barkley. Listening to him take 3 hours to try and make his point go tired for me along time ago. As far as opinions go... Borlin is playing in A films and Barkey played in Space Jam. Nuff said.

The general crowd don't like this movie either. They got to have something cliche and predictable. For the love of god! Don't show something that will actually make them react. It's like we have gone back to the days of Leave It to the Beaver.

No offense, but that's your problem and not the movies. You know, I have disliked alot of movies over the years, but I haven't said "I fell asleep" since I was 15 or 16 years old. It

s not supposed to have alot of action.

allmovie:

Psychological westerns are the character-driven dramas of the '50s set in the Old West with the typical Western themes of ranchers, outlaws, and gunfighters. Rather than just action and thrills like shoot-em-up B-Westerns, these films focus on the inner struggles of the characters using the grandness of the American southwest as a landscape. Often simple stories about outlaws with a minimum of action, some of the genre's most acclaimed titles include High Noon, Shane, and 3:10 to Yuma.

The last hour is great. The affect that Jesse James has on people around him seems to be much like Barry Bonds has on his teammates. He can appear to some to be hero from a distance, but once you know him and see his affects on people it becomes clear that he is no hero at all.

The last movie that I watch that made me want to fall asleep was Backdraft. That movie freakin sucks.

I agree. No Country for Old Men was not that special for me, and I'm glad I share the same opinion with someone else here about it... I just didn't enjoy it at all... I sat there throughout the whole movie waiting for something to happen that would get me into it, but I really wasn't into it, and believe it or not, I actually found myself wondering whether I should hop to another theater room to watch another movie or not.

Quote:

Charles Barkley stated he didn't like the movie a few weeks ago. Yeah there were 3 main characters but I don't really put Tommy Lee Jones character on the same level as Brolin & Javier. They should have let Tommy Lee Confront Javier back at that hotel but some how Javier escapes. I never said more than 1 main character gets killed off only Brolin and I thought he should have lived at least till the end, and I don't see how the ending with Tommy Lee sitting at the table talking had anything to do with the movie. Too each his own.

When TLJ goes into the room and Chigurh is behind the door, that isnt real. That is Tommy thinking/believing that Chigurh is in the room.

I loved the movie, but I have one of those problems when I cant get past a former character an actor played. So, I had a great time watching a western featuring TLJ, Bardem, and Bran Walsh.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

I agree. No Country for Old Men was not that special for me, and I'm glad I share the same opinion with someone else here about it... I just didn't enjoy it at all... I sat there throughout the whole movie waiting for something to happen that would get me into it, but I really wasn't into it, and believe it or not, I actually found myself wondering whether I should hop to another theater room to watch another movie or not.

Sugar was one of the best mad man killers of all time. The coin flip scene at the gas station was classic and he didn't even kill that guy. If you like Indie films you will like this movie. If you like transparent slasher films you won't.