Two year extension offered to Woodson

HawkItus

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm hoping is that Sund and Woodson communicate better. Woodson doesn't play young guys. So hopefully Sund can parlay some assets into a veteran bench that Woody will have confidence in. What good is a young project if the coach won't let him play. Go get the team he needs to be successful. That's really where I fault BK in all of this. You hired the guy and drafted/signed players that didn't fit his system or coaching style. That's like hiring a French chef and giving him Tex Mex ingredients for dinner every night.

Quote:

What I'm hoping is that Sund and Woodson communicate better. Woodson doesn't play young guys. So hopefully Sund can parlay some assets into a veteran bench that Woody will have confidence in. What good is a young project if the coach won't let him play. Go get the team he needs to be successful. That's really where I fault BK in all of this. You hired the guy and drafted/signed players that didn't fit his system or coaching style. That's like hiring a French chef and giving him Tex Mex ingredients for dinner every night.he doesn't have a system or coaching style.He's just there, doing whatever.

Smoove was 22 and Al and Marvin were 21. NO team in the NBA had a younger starting front line than we did last year. On most teams, Smoove, Marvin and Al WOULD be the projects. Instead, they were all key contributors to our team. Just because Woody didn't play Acie (who was hurt for a large part of the season) and NBDL caliber players Solo, Salim, Mario and Jeremy as much as many on this board would have liked, doesn't mean he doesn't play young guys. Smoove, Chillz, Marv and Al have ALL played significant minutes since they have been here.ANY NBA coach will tell you that you need vets mixed in with the young guys in order to be successful so I hope you are right and Sund goes out and gets some more quality vets to put around our young guys so that we can improve. That said, even though our guys are young in age, I think they are starting to "get it" and although they will still make mistakes, I think they will play more like vets than rookies.

Quote:

Can you remember a situation in the NBA when a coach came into the last month of his contract without being fired or having an extension?Sam Mitchell most recently. But I don't see your point. Who's fault is it Woodson made it to his last year without being fired or extended? Not Woodson's he didn't say let's see what happens my final year. It was ASG who wouldn't let BK fire him and who didn't extend him until recently.

Two More Years Of:

- forgetting about players on the bench

- "2 fouls and out"

- that "hangdog / confused" look on the bench

- "just give it to Joe" as out only set play

- dumb ass press conference remarks

- not having an identity as a team

- Acie having no confidence

- Smoove hoisting up 3's and hanging around the 3 point line

- no halftime adjustments

I could go on and on, but I'm too depressed.... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Quote:

Quote:

Can you remember a situation in the NBA when a coach came into the last month of his contract without being fired or having an extension?Sam Mitchell most recently. But I don't see your point. Who's fault is it Woodson made it to his last year without being fired or extended? Not Woodson's he didn't say let's see what happens my final year. It was ASG who wouldn't let BK fire him and who didn't extend him until recently.I agree. I dont hold Sund responsible for this at all. Like most here i think the decision to keep Woody was made before Sund took the job.

Same is true of GIVING Woody CREDIT for increasing the win total from year to year."They won a whopping 7 games more than last year with a healthy team. No credit should be given for the "increased win total" when they won 30 last year with JJ missing half the season. The "improvement" isn't all that great. Yeah, Sturt, you just sit there next year and watch this team suck again and I hope you enjoy it because that IS what is going to happen.

Quote:

Two More Years Of:

- forgetting about players on the bench

- "2 fouls and out"

- that "hangdog / confused" look on the bench

- "just give it to Joe" as out only set play

- dumb ass press conference remarks

- not having an identity as a team

- Acie having no confidence

- Smoove hoisting up 3's and hanging around the 3 point line

- no halftime adjustments

I could go on and on, but I'm too depressed.... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm right there with you.

These players have to be pushed to play better on the road. Play on the road is the true test of a team. Too many nights the team has not given full effort or just hasn't played consistant ball. Woody hasn't got that out of them in his first three years. so why do some people think that will start now? Because of the 3 home wins? They went out and tanked in the road games. ESP that game 7.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Same is true of GIVING Woody CREDIT for increasing the win total from year to year."They won a whopping 7 games more than last year with a healthy team. No credit should be given for the "increased win total" when they won 30 last year with JJ missing half the season. The "improvement" isn't all that great. Yeah, Sturt, you just sit there next year and watch this team suck again and I hope you enjoy it because that IS what is going to happen.Hot, did you read the whole post? Doesn't sound like it. In fact, it sounds like you glossed over this part you quoted since it actually would be something you should consider to be SUPPORTIVE of your contention. It would've made more sense for you be arguing the part before this.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the positition was not filled.His contract was over.No his contract is not over yet......and regardless....name me one instance where a company interviews for a contracted position before releasing the current employee?.....it doesn't happen....you can't interview people and then come back to Woody while he is under contract....and if you wait until after he is under contract do you think he's going to take a 2 year deal when you possibly get turned down by everyone else? wow. You guys are living in la la land.sultan is right that I can't think of an instance where a team interviewed candidates and then decided to bring back the incumbent. That said, the Hawks could certainly be doing this behind the scenes and maybe that is even what was going on the past two weeks. We can't do much other than speculate and wring our hands at (or applaud) the decision to retain Woodson.How about Auburn and Petrino a few years ago. Steinbrener I think did this a couple of times with Yankee managers. This sort of thing happens in business, esp when you have a management position that has to be filled asap and the current manager isn't doing the job. It might not be a formal interview, but people are brought in, or the current staff is interviewed for the position. I have seen it happen in academia with department heads twice now.