• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Two year extension offered to Woodson

HawkItus

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently every other team in the league hiring a coach doesn't think very highly of Avery or Flip so why should we be judged so harshly for passing them up?you are such a ****.****why would u want to get banned over some stupid crap?that's the admin dude.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Okay, putting aside your astute ability to determine that Fitch and Rivers were good coaches who COULDN'T BE EVALUATED SOLELY ON THE BASIS OF THEIR RECORDS IN CLEVELAND AND ORLANDO... that's even though, "the standings don't lie."Sturt, i haven't posted in a while. you might know that I've battled ex more passionately than anyone on the board, save yourself. having said that, you are dead wrong and he is right. Doc made the playoffs in orlando. And he even got over .500. All I know is that I know basketball. So does ex. It's obvious what Woodson's failures are. for you to not understand the situation is alarming. you seem educated but remain ignorant of the x's and o's of the game. Really, there is no excuse for defending Mike Woodson as a coach. He is simply horrible. I am amazed that you are saying the kinds of things that you are.how many times do we have to break it down about the substitutions, the no plays offense, the lack of sideline presence( he's no Jerry Sloan), etc? There are literally about 10 - 15 things we could isolate and agree he is poor at. Which we have by the way. What 10 - 15 things can you say he does well?By the way, again, the doc and Fitch comps are ludicrous to say the least.Also, name a player that lost as much as Woodson did, that became a quality HC. Actually, I'll make it easier. Name one that even got a job like woody. Losing players don't make winning coaches. How could they? All the've ever known is losing.

• Premium Member

First, it's not entirely clear whether you are picking up on why the Bill Fitch thing was brought into this--ie, that one cannot evaluate Coach X on the simple basis of their W/L record. And I say that because YOU yourself speak about all of these reasons why you consider Woodson a poor coach... not a word about W/L records. That would seem to suggest that you agree that it takes more than simple W/L records to evaluate a given coach's competency.

And as for the rest... Troy with all due respect, you kind of leave me hanging here... exactly what is it that I'm "dead wrong" about? Where did I "defend" Woodson? Quote me, please, so I can straighten this out for you... you appear to be reading too much into my words, because I promise you I have been somewhere in the middle, and definitely not at your polar opposite position on the guy as you seem to think.

And just generally, you appear to have scanned the posts a little too quickly here. I am not a Woodson apologist just because I'm willing to give Sund the benefit of a doubt that Sund feels good enough about Woodson to retain him. I'm more like a Woodson agnostic, while you, looking back at the history, appear to be the equivalent of Fred Phelps on this topic--a highly inflated opinion of their own expertise, a highly inflated opinion of their ability to evaluate a situation for what it is as-if having been revealed by Deity, and an intolerance so extreme that is even revolting to others who are intolerant.

I mean, really, just friend to friend, you're seriously reaching when you argue based on what Woodson did as a player. Honestly, Troy, if you'll bother to look (and I did so just to humor you), Woodson's record doesn't look terribly different from other recent CotYs. Sam Mitchell's overall. has a career that shapes up a lot like Woodson's. Mike D'Antoni, near and dear to any Marshall fan like myself, barely played in the NBA, and when he did he only played on one team that even contended for its division title. (Yes, yes, I know he was a great coach in Europe... as one who knew about and followed D'Antoni all the way back to his college days, it's not likely you can point out anything I don't already know.) Popovich?... let's seeeeee... Pop...o...vich.... hmmmm.... not to be found. Didn't even play the game at a professional level. Hmmm... but was a Larry Brown protoge' (... reminiscent of... ummm... yeah, that Woodson guy... ouch, that's not helpful). Rick Carlisle? Had three glory years with Larry Bird's C's, then two bummer years on his way off the court.

Some unsolicited, not-meant-to-be-offensive advice: Stick with all of your "10-15 things we all agree that he is poor at" argument(s)... on much stronger rhetorical ground. This player experience thing is completely tangential when some of the best coaches in professional sports, basketball and beyond, are found to have had far less success as a player, and in some cases not even any, at the highest level.