• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Apple/pc

Swish

OK, which do you guys use and why? I have to upgrade my antique desktop this week to a brand new laptop on tax free day (whoooowhhoooooooooo :Big Grin: and am leaning towards a MacBook but haven't quite decided. Let me know what you think if you get a minute.

• Premium Member
OK, which do you guys use and why? I have to upgrade my antique desktop this week to a brand new laptop on tax free day (whoooowhhoooooooooo :Big Grin: and am leaning towards a MacBook but haven't quite decided. Let me know what you think if you get a minute.

I used to be a huge mac guy. Until I just didn't want to spend the money on the Macs and bought a Dell. I am able to do more with a dell but Macs are much better machines. For instance, I borrowed a MacBook Pro after buying an HP Pavillion. The MacBook Pro is exception. I left Mac before the dual processors. Right after Tiger. However, now... Mac has just gone beyond what I was able to do.

So here's the bottom line.

If we want a system that never crashes, never gets viruses, that can do the work... Get a mac.

If you want to save money, not a graphic designer, want to do a lot of gaming... Get a PC.

If you're buying a laptop, don't buy a HP Pavillion with Vista.

I used to be a huge mac guy. Until I just didn't want to spend the money on the Macs and bought a Dell. I am able to do more with a dell but Macs are much better machines. For instance, I borrowed a MacBook Pro after buying an HP Pavillion. The MacBook Pro is exception. I left Mac before the dual processors. Right after Tiger. However, now... Mac has just gone beyond what I was able to do.

If we want a system that never crashes, never gets viruses, that can do the work... Get a mac.

If you want to save money, not a graphic designer, want to do a lot of gaming... Get a PC.

If you're buying a laptop, don't buy a HP Pavillion with Vista.

Thanks D. Most people I have talked to are completely against Vista...I run XP Pro currently and the few times I have used Vista have been dissappointed. I probably wouldn't be getting a new computer but with tax free coming up its hard to resist.

Unless you're using your computer for heavy duty video editing or serious graphic design, a Mac isn't really warranted IMO. They're overpriced machines. You can build a custom PC much more powerful than any Mac for a fraction of the price.

I'm using Vista right now, and I love it. Just as long as your computer can handle it (I have 3GB of Dualcore RAM, 350+GB of HD Space, and built-in graphics card), it will do fine.

Can you articulate specifically what you don't like about Windows? This isn't meant to get into a "which is better" thread... But if Windows is getting boring, then that means it's doing its job- it's staying out of your way. A computer is a means- not an end. I don't know about you, but with a Mac or even with Vista, I sat and looked at it for five minutes, said it was pretty, then got over it and moved on.

And if you're into gaming, Macs are pretty much terrible for it.

• Premium Member
Thanks D. Most people I have talked to are completely against Vista...I run XP Pro currently and the few times I have used Vista have been dissappointed. I probably wouldn't be getting a new computer but with tax free coming up its hard to resist.

Dude, Vista sucks. It's incompatable with everydamn thing. I think it was PCs answer to Mac GNU or whatever. It fell short.

Dude, Vista sucks. It's incompatable with everydamn thing. I think it was PCs answer to Mac GNU or whatever. It fell short.

I haven't run into anything that I use that is incompatible with Vista. You have to realize when Vista first came out, obviously there would be errors and bugs, but now they have refined it a bit more, and the updates help make Vista more compatible with more programs.

Macs are more expensive and provide no clear added benefit over the cheaper solution- Windows. Therefore, Windows is the solution.

Unless you're using your computer for heavy duty video editing or serious graphic design, a Mac isn't really warranted IMO. They're overpriced machines. You can build a custom PC much more powerful than any Mac for a fraction of the price.

I'm using Vista right now, and I love it. Just as long as your computer can handle it (I have 3GB of Dualcore RAM, 350+GB of HD Space, and built-in graphics card), it will do fine.

Can you articulate specifically what you don't like about Windows? This isn't meant to get into a "which is better" thread... But if Windows is getting boring, then that means it's doing its job- it's staying out of your way. A computer is a means- not an end. I don't know about you, but with a Mac or even with Vista, I sat and looked at it for five minutes, said it was pretty, then got over it and moved on.

And if you're into gaming, Macs are pretty much terrible for it.

Libid/Mac-

I design websites on the side after my real job in the morning. (I'm the breakfast cook at a Nashville restauraunt). This can be done on a PC as I have been doing but Macs are the industry standard for most part.

I really don't mind XP Pro; Vista seemed fluffy to me when I used it. I didn't use it long enough to make a definite determination though. Friends said it was "buggy" and had some issues and really fell short. You notice Diesel below says it sucks. I'm pretty sure that if I got a PC I would put XP Pro on it. You have a Dell, Libid?

Any other tips/opinions/side items would be appreciated. Any of you guys use OpenOffice?

I'm using an HP Pavilion a6130n Desktop along with Vista.

And I said serious graphic design not web design. And when I mean, serious, I mean it. It sounds like you web design as a hobby. If you're planning on making serious money from your web design 'business', then I can see why you'd want to spend money on a Mac.

Edited by Libid21

I'm using an HP Pavilion a6130n Desktop along with Vista.

That's why your specs are so high! (desktop) I really need portability. I'm on an old desktop with 1gb ram and 80 gb hard drive-ugh. I'll prolly be upgrading to 2gb/250 with double layer/superdrive dual core 2.4ghz processor.

Any other thoughts you have on vista b4 I drop for the mac?

That's why your specs are so high! (desktop) I really need portability. I'm on an old desktop with 1gb ram and 80 gb hard drive-ugh. I'll prolly be upgrading to 2gb/250 with double layer/superdrive dual core 2.4ghz processor.

Any other thoughts you have on vista b4 I drop for the mac?

It's pointless to speak to you about this. You've closed your mind to every one else's opinion, and you've already made your decision that you're going to spend your money on a Mac. Oh well, it's not my money you're wasting. Good luck with your new Mac. ;)

It's pointless to speak to you about this. You've closed your mind to every one else's opinion, and you've already made your decision that you're going to spend your money on a Mac. Oh well, it's not my money you're wasting. Good luck with your new Mac. ;)

Do you mind showing me where I closed my mind??

I haven't made my decision by any means and I don't believe I said that, but I guess I could have implied it. Don't get me wrong I would like have the five hundred dollars in my pocket. At any rate the web design thing used to be a hobby I have actually picked up several jobs lately.

I have no acumen for graphics whatsoever though just programming/layout.

Sorry for being so obtuse about it!!

You still haven't answered my question before. ;)

Can you articulate specifically what you don't like about Windows?

I don't exactly have a "problem" with Windows, I thought I said that but I must not have. Do you believe the theory that there are many less viruses for Apple than Windows?

The Apples that I have used compared to the Windows machines, the operating speed was out of this world faster, even running the same specs.

These two things combined with wanting to design sites a little more often. Other than that I probably would get a nice Dell.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input/knowledge. I appreciate it.

I don't exactly have a "problem" with Windows, I thought I said that but I must not have. Do you believe the theory that there are many less viruses for Apple than Windows?

The Apples that I have used compared to the Windows machines, the operating speed was out of this world faster, even running the same specs.

These two things combined with wanting to design sites a little more often. Other than that I probably would get a nice Dell.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input/knowledge. I appreciate it.

I do believe it. It's not a theory, it's a fact.

Dells make fine laptops. Once I head on over to college, I'm sure I'll be looking at Dell notebooks the most especially because they provide quality student discount on all their products.

Good luck with your decision.

I do believe it. It's not a theory, it's a fact.

Dells make fine laptops. Once I head on over to college, I'm sure I'll be looking at Dell notebooks the most especially because they provide quality student discount on all their products.

Good luck with your decision.

OK thanks man. Apples also provide a 10% knock off for college :D

;)

I just rated you five star for your good attitude and helpfulness :)

• Premium Member
I haven't run into anything that I use that is incompatible with Vista. You have to realize when Vista first came out, obviously there would be errors and bugs, but now they have refined it a bit more, and the updates help make Vista more compatible with more programs.

Macs are more expensive and provide no clear added benefit over the cheaper solution- Windows. Therefore, Windows is the solution.

I would say freedom from virus. I would say dual processor that allows you to use either platform. I would say the instant wireless set up is cool. The built in camera and built in software to chat with the camera. The ability to make video, pictures, music, dvd, etc comes out of the box with a mac. I had to go out and buy everything I'm talking about... even Speakers for my PC. I had to buy Creator 9 and Nero, and all these other software to do things that is standard with a mac. Moreover, if I wasn't addicted to MS software, I could have just used mac standard software that comes with the mac free.

The real problem with PCs is this. They tell you everything is cheaper... But the cheaper stuff is inferior. Moreover, you will spend time trying to upgrade and buy software, and make sure you are compatible... and when you find out your printer is not compatible with your computer because your computer need more ram.. etc... Yeah, you too will be saying Damn. However, with a mac.. It's all plug and play. I had bought a camera eons ago, I lost the software that came with the camera...I had to search the internet looking for an installer for the camera... found one, they wanted $30 bucks for it. I spent 3 saturdays looking through boxes to find the original start up disk for the camera.... Same camera, I plugged into that MacBook Pro.. it worked right away.

But trust me. I bought my dell because I didn't want to spend the extra money on a mac. I had been a Mac guy since the Classic II. (Classic II, LCIII, G3, G5).... When I was finally ready to move, I bought a cheap Dell (~$400...) However, every time I upgrade, I have to pay attention to compatibilities. BTW... That Pavillion I bought with Vista... It's the slowest startup I have ever seen. My LC III can start up faster. AND.. Vista is definitely incompatible with most software. Ask around. At first I thought it was cool, but there were certain times that I couldn't use MS servers & Networks because of the incompatabilities...

I would say freedom from virus. I would say dual processor that allows you to use either platform. I would say the instant wireless set up is cool. The built in camera and built in software to chat with the camera. The ability to make video, pictures, music, dvd, etc comes out of the box with a mac. I had to go out and buy everything I'm talking about... even Speakers for my PC. I had to buy Creator 9 and Nero, and all these other software to do things that is standard with a mac. Moreover, if I wasn't addicted to MS software, I could have just used mac standard software that comes with the mac free.

The real problem with PCs is this. They tell you everything is cheaper... But the cheaper stuff is inferior. Moreover, you will spend time trying to upgrade and buy software, and make sure you are compatible... and when you find out your printer is not compatible with your computer because your computer need more ram.. etc... Yeah, you too will be saying Damn. However, with a mac.. It's all plug and play. I had bought a camera eons ago, I lost the software that came with the camera...I had to search the internet looking for an installer for the camera... found one, they wanted $30 bucks for it. I spent 3 saturdays looking through boxes to find the original start up disk for the camera.... Same camera, I plugged into that MacBook Pro.. it worked right away.

But trust me. I bought my dell because I didn't want to spend the extra money on a mac. I had been a Mac guy since the Classic II. (Classic II, LCIII, G3, G5).... When I was finally ready to move, I bought a cheap Dell (~$400...) However, every time I upgrade, I have to pay attention to compatibilities. BTW... That Pavillion I bought with Vista... It's the slowest startup I have ever seen. My LC III can start up faster. AND.. Vista is definitely incompatible with most software. Ask around. At first I thought it was cool, but there were certain times that I couldn't use MS servers & Networks because of the incompatabilities...

It really is a good conversation to have. I have had some issues with PCs and just general slowness. You make a good point that all that stuff comes standard on the mac one reason you pay a little extra for it. So what do you currently have Diesel?

I'm about 70percent macbook (2gb, 2.4 ghz, 160gb) and 30 percent dell (3gb, 250gb, 1.8 ghz) on the decision process right now. The mac processor is massive and comes with bells and whistles. There is a five hundred dollar difference though. :Thinking:

Thanks guys for the advice. Like I said its an interesting topic.

It'd help us to help you make a decision if you could tell us what you usually use your computer for. Diesel makes excellent points, I can't argue with them. However, if you're only looking to do basic web design, browse the internet, check your email, and those basic things, you'd be wasting some serious cash by spending it on a Mac. However, it is your money, and I'm not trying to make you do something that you don't want to so it's ultimately up to you, and I hope you understand that. I'm just trying to help you out so you don't end up wasting your money and regretting your decision... but if you really want to buy a Mac, then do it, man. If that's what you want, then that's what you want.

Sounds like you are more talking about the operating system than the hardware. You can have PC and have a system that never crashes and never gets viruses. PC does not necessarily equal Windows. I use linux on a Dell Latitude and it is just as safe (if not more) from viruses as OSX, and it doesnt crash. Should an application crash, it doesnt bring the whole OS down with it like Windows does. You can just kill the app and the OS will often keep going.

Any other tips/opinions/side items would be appreciated. Any of you guys use OpenOffice?

Yeah I am an openoffice user. I works great, but I do occasionally have problems with it when importing documents that were originally made in Word. You can read it fine, but some parts have issues with editing. Any document that I originally made in OO.o and then opened in Word worked without any issues (as long as you save it in Word format).