• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Places Folks Have Visited

frosgrim

I was asked what it was like to live in the Ecuadorian rainforest in another thread, so I will post a breif report here.

First, I spent two field seasons in two parts of the Ecuadorian rainforest. The first was in the Rio Napo region and the second was in the Pastaza region.

In the Napo area I lived with lowland Kichuwa and in Pastaza with one of the Shuar groups.

Both trips were 6 weeks.

The Napo is about 500 meters above sea level, which means nights can be a little cooler, but the days still are hot and humid. Rain is almost constant. The way it was explained to me is that you have a rainy season and then a more rainy season. I was there during the more rainy season both times. I would rain at least twice a day for at least an hour. However, there were times when the sun did come out. I actually liked it better when it rained as it wasn't as hot and the humidity wasn't as bad.

Since both regions are in the foothills of the Andes, getting around is tough. The hillsides are steep and have knee deep mud. I can't tell you how many times I lost a boot in the mud and muc. The indigenous guides we had would hardly even get muddy let alone loose a boot (when they wore them- mostly they went barefoot).

I love and hate the rainforest. I really like the people and the plant life. But I can't stand the bugs. Seriously, the bugs are out of control. I did OK until one night while in the Napo I got attacked by a swarm of these little black flies. I had an allergic reaction and that was about the end of me going to the Amazon for field work. The picture I posted in the picture post over in homecourt was of me after I swelled up.

Overall, I highly recommend everyone to go see the rainforest. Its a completely different environment than what we see here in the States. The Puerto Rican rainforest is so small that it can't compare to the vastness and sense of total emersion that you get when you go deep into the contenental rainforest.

If anyone has more questions, I would be happy to answer. I also have spent a year in the high Andes, but that is another story...

I was asked what it was like to live in the Ecuadorian rainforest in another thread, so I will post a breif report here.

First, I spent two field seasons in two parts of the Ecuadorian rainforest. The first was in the Rio Napo region and the second was in the Pastaza region.

In the Napo area I lived with lowland Kichuwa and in Pastaza with one of the Shuar groups.

Both trips were 6 weeks.

The Napo is about 500 meters above sea level, which means nights can be a little cooler, but the days still are hot and humid. Rain is almost constant. The way it was explained to me is that you have a rainy season and then a more rainy season. I was there during the more rainy season both times. I would rain at least twice a day for at least an hour. However, there were times when the sun did come out. I actually liked it better when it rained as it wasn't as hot and the humidity wasn't as bad.

Since both regions are in the foothills of the Andes, getting around is tough. The hillsides are steep and have knee deep mud. I can't tell you how many times I lost a boot in the mud and muc. The indigenous guides we had would hardly even get muddy let alone loose a boot (when they wore them- mostly they went barefoot).

I love and hate the rainforest. I really like the people and the plant life. But I can't stand the bugs. Seriously, the bugs are out of control. I did OK until one night while in the Napo I got attacked by a swarm of these little black flies. I had an allergic reaction and that was about the end of me going to the Amazon for field work. The picture I posted in the picture post over in homecourt was of me after I swelled up.

Overall, I highly recommend everyone to go see the rainforest. Its a completely different environment than what we see here in the States. The Puerto Rican rainforest is so small that it can't compare to the vastness and sense of total emersion that you get when you go deep into the contenental rainforest.

If anyone has more questions, I would be happy to answer. I also have spent a year in the high Andes, but that is another story...

That is remarkable, man. Much respect. I've done a lot of traveling, but have never seen a rainforest. It always amazes me to hear of how the people indigenous to some of the most geographically challenging regions on earth have adapted so well to living in their environments. It makes you rethink our "progress" hear in the West.

Edited by jhay610

I wish I could have seen that - and more importantly - been involved with the people.

As a Navy guy I've been pretty-near around the world. The best places I have seen are European and Med. ports. The one thing I remember is that they aren't so much different from us - they just love soccer...why? I still can't understand it.

That's really cool, Frosgrim. I would love an opportunity to see the Amazon rainforest while there remains an opportunity to do so. It's absolutely vast, but at the rate it's going up in smoke (an acre a second, the last I heard) due to the shortsightedness of man....ya know, it's not going to last forever. Unless things change, it will come to an end- and the loss to humanity will just be unthinkable. It is an irreplaceable environment unique on the surface of the earth, a treasure trove of wildlife that can be found nowhere else on earth but the Amazon- and of medicinal plants endemic to the Amazon, and that to a staggering degree. And scientists estimate there still remain thousands (if not tens of thousands) of undiscovered species of animals and plants. But it's being clear-cut, and if they don't stop that, eventually it will all turn into an enormous desert, and that will affect the climate on a global scale. The thing about rainforest soil is that it's very poor in nutrients and so unsuitable for farming. So a farmer clear-cuts 1000 acres, he might get a year or two worth of crops out of that soil, but after that the soil is completely dead, the nutrients exhausted to the point where it cannot sustain any kind of plant life any longer. That's when it turns to desert, and so at that point the farmer will move on to clear-cut another 1000 acres....and the cycle just goes on and on and on. It really makes me sick to think about it. It's such a f*cking shame....

The most interesting place I've ever been is Iran, back when the Shah was still in power and the Ayatollah was just an anonymous refugee living in France. I was fortunate to have a wealthy Grandma who liked to travel, and for my 12th birthday she took me to Malta and Iran. It was so crazily exotic there, and the history, the culture, the architecture and the art going back literally 1000+ years, back to when the Persian Empire ruled the world. The Shah was disliked by virtually everyone there. He was a tyrant to his people, and he was definitely viewed as being a lackey of America since we were the ones who installed him in power in the first place- but they didn't seem to hold that against the American people. We saw no anti-Americanism in Iran at that time, in fact the people were all very cool to us. We saw the Shah's motorcade too, literally like 200 long black limousines plus all the assorted support vehicles, military vehicles, armored cars, tanks etc etc. It was most impressive. The guy seemed to have an iron grip on power. And even though he was considered by many to be essentially a puppet of America, he really had to play both sides, and in fact Iran was considered to be a client state of the Soviet Union (which is kind of how it had to be, Iran being right across the Caspian Sea from Mother Russia). Anyway, it was the Ayatollah that brought in the raging anti-American rhetoric and resentment less than two years later, so we were fortunate to go when we did. That hatred for America was his whole spiel, and unfortunately too many Iranians bought in to the program (not all of them though, not even close). We had a great time, and that country is so seriously exotic that I can barely even begin to describe it. The smell....wow. It's like the air is scented or perfumed almost, with the smell of fig trees and cypress and sandalwood and I don't even know what all, but it is amazing.

I've always wanted to live out of the country for a short period of time. It seems like it would definitely be something I would want to experience. Other than the bugs though, you didn't face any other dangers or hardships in South America ?

I guess the most impressive place I have been is Jerusalem. Not from a religious aspect so much....but from a historical aspect. The folks I was with were always wanting to go and "see something"...I was enthralled with the cobble-stones I was walking on...2-3 thousand years old - rounded off by the feet of people over the centuries. It was a tad cathartic.

That's really cool, Frosgrim. I would love an opportunity to see the Amazon rainforest while there remains an opportunity to do so. It's absolutely vast, but at the rate it's going up in smoke (an acre a second, the last I heard) due to the shortsightedness of man....ya know, it's not going to last forever. Unless things change, it will come to an end- and the loss to humanity will just be unthinkable. It is an irreplaceable environment unique on the surface of the earth, a treasure trove of wildlife that can be found nowhere else on earth but the Amazon- and of medicinal plants endemic to the Amazon, and that to a staggering degree. And scientists estimate there still remain thousands (if not tens of thousands) of undiscovered species of animals and plants. But it's being clear-cut, and if they don't stop that, eventually it will all turn into an enormous desert, and that will affect the climate on a global scale. The thing about rainforest soil is that it's very poor in nutrients and so unsuitable for farming. So a farmer clear-cuts 1000 acres, he might get a year or two worth of crops out of that soil, but after that the soil is completely dead, the nutrients exhausted to the point where it cannot sustain any kind of plant life any longer. That's when it turns to desert, and so at that point the farmer will move on to clear-cut another 1000 acres....and the cycle just goes on and on and on. It really makes me sick to think about it. It's such a f*cking shame....

The farming issue is one of the things drives me NUTS. The hard pan that is created after clear cutting is impressive and disgusting at the same time. Its like concrete its so hard. Nothing can grow on it. The other thing that people are doing is bringing cattle into the rainforrest. WTH, that is the WORST idea one could possibly have. Cows aren't tropical animals and they suffer greatly. The farmers in the Amazon region should be domesticating the peccary as its a native pig and the meat is great.

From a human perspective its even worse. Not only do the colonist come in and clear cut, but they take loans out for the land and equipment. Most farms fail within 3 years and the colonist is heavily in debt to loan sharks. Its just a cluster fart.

The most interesting place I've ever been is Iran, back when the Shah was still in power and the Ayatollah was just an anonymous refugee living in France. I was fortunate to have a wealthy Grandma who liked to travel, and for my 12th birthday she took me to Malta and Iran. It was so crazily exotic there, and the history, the culture, the architecture and the art going back literally 1000+ years, back to when the Persian Empire ruled the world. The Shah was disliked by virtually everyone there. He was a tyrant to his people, and he was definitely viewed as being a lackey of America since we were the ones who installed him in power in the first place- but they didn't seem to hold that against the American people. We saw no anti-Americanism in Iran at that time, in fact the people were all very cool to us. We saw the Shah's motorcade too, literally like 200 long black limousines plus all the assorted support vehicles, military vehicles, armored cars, tanks etc etc. It was most impressive. The guy seemed to have an iron grip on power. And even though he was considered by many to be essentially a puppet of America, he really had to play both sides, and in fact Iran was considered to be a client state of the Soviet Union (which is kind of how it had to be, Iran being right across the Caspian Sea from Mother Russia). Anyway, it was the Ayatollah that brought in the raging anti-American rhetoric and resentment less than two years later, so we were fortunate to go when we did. That hatred for America was his whole spiel, and unfortunately too many Iranians bought in to the program (not all of them though, not even close). We had a great time, and that country is so seriously exotic that I can barely even begin to describe it. The smell....wow. It's like the air is scented or perfumed almost, with the smell of fig trees and cypress and sandalwood and I don't even know what all, but it is amazing.

WOW! That sounds increadible. I have never been to the Middle East, but I really want to.

Looks like my next journey is going to be to Bangladesh. Probably in 2010. We have to get grant money and that can take some time, then there are visa probems, etc.

I guess the most impressive place I have been is Jerusalem. Not from a religious aspect so much....but from a historical aspect. The folks I was with were always wanting to go and "see something"...I was enthralled with the cobble-stones I was walking on...2-3 thousand years old - rounded off by the feet of people over the centuries. It was a tad cathartic.

I really want to visit Isreal. Maybe its from a herritage standpoint, but its one of those places you have to go to once in your life. My wife, however, isn't so big on the idea. Probably wouldn't want me to take the kids either.

The rainforest sounds awesome. I would love to visit for a day or two but the bugs would be too much for me after that. I cant stand the ones here in the states much less South America. Iran had to be a cool trip. I would love to take a trip to the middle east but dont feel like signing up for Uncle Georges personal grivance squad.

Ive been out of the country a few times to Jamaica: which is a beautiful country and most of the people are cool. Niagra Falls Canada: I will say thi, even though it may not seem exotic or as interesting as other parts of the world IT IS AMAZING and a must see. Romania: Cool sights, friendly people lots of forest lol. Prince Vlads castle is a sight to see. I honestly dont know how they got an army up there to capture him :no-no: . My favorite and most intersting place however is a place Ive been to about 10 times and is only a 3 hr drive for me. Gettysburg PA, maybe because I love American History especially Civil War nad Revolutionary War History. There are just so many stories of bravery form both armies and civilians. You learn something new everytime you visit and the kids always love climbing Devils Den.

As far as places I would love to see? THE AMERICAN WEST. I would prolly want to start a long driving trip at in St.Louis at the Arch and take a month or so to see the whole deal. Little Big Horn Battlefield, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and several other national parks out there. Crazy Horse monument, Devils Tower, Billy the Kids grave, TombstoneAriz, I couold go on and on. The problem is everything is SO far away from each other that it would take more vaca time then IM ever likely to get. AND THE GAS, OMG THE GAS......

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

It's Fiji.

One of the most beautiful places in the world. Filled with beauty and poverty.

n11201195_30616818_5905.jpg

If i could retire to a mansion in Fiji... I'd drink Kava all day! Great fishing. Good people. Wonderful days.

D, the south Pacific is yet another place I want to go.

I just want to see the whole world.

There is a group of Gaelic speakers in Argentina that I really want to go and live with for a while. For one, how the heck did Gaelic speakers end up in the Pampas of Argentina? Second, my wife is actually interested in doing field work their with me :)

I may have missed something, but what in the world is your profession frosgrim? Sounds very interesting.

I am an anthropologist- I mainly study human reproduction in terms of culture and human evolution, but I do other things as well. At one point in time I was working on being a primotologist (study of non-human primates), but I gave up on that as I find humans a lot more interesting.

I am an anthropologist- I mainly study human reproduction in terms of culture and human evolution, but I do other things as well. At one point in time I was working on being a primotologist (study of non-human primates), but I gave up on that as I find humans a lot more interesting.

You can likely answer a question I have always pondered. Why do we have such individual races in humanity? I mean..we seem to have very specific racial differences within our own species. It's mostly appearance, but Asians are very different looking than Africans....Native Americans/Northen Eurpeans...etc. Is it all climate related?

Don't take this wrong - it's not a racially motivated question - simply academic. Personally, I'm part Neanderthal :-)

P.S. - I gotta see Fiji !!

You can likely answer a question I have always pondered. Why do we have such individual races in humanity? I mean..we seem to have very specific racial differences within our own species. It's mostly appearance, but Asians are very different looking than Africans....Native Americans/Northen Eurpeans...etc. Is it all climate related?

Don't take this wrong - it's not a racially motivated question - simply academic. Personally, I'm part Neanderthal :-)

My guess is we all originated from different galaxies?

Thanks for the insight on Iran Seano...I would love to go there if our world can fix itself from hatred and differences (not likely gonna happen in my lifetime).

As far as the rainforrest situation goes - it has to be approached smartly IMO. I'll always remember a sports interview from some L.A. baseball pitcher who had just signed a 20million dollar contract and he went off on how the rainforrest had to be saved for the sake of the planet and his kids futures and the oxygen and all. I thought...sure...you got yours pal. What about the guy in Brasil who is still trying to feed his family and maybe get a better life for HIS kids?

OOF! That is a sensitive question. I will give my best BRIEF answer, but there is still some debate. First off, you have to define race. If you mean race as a sub-species, then there are no seperate human races. If you mean race as "breed" then sure. Where breed means there are differences in shapes, coloring, and other markings. Note that humans have a wide variety of morphological features that can be interchanged.

When I taught, I had a slide show that put up head shots of people from various places in the world and the students had to guess where people were from. I was careful not to include cultural markings like clothing styles. Students would on average get about 3 of 20 pictures close to correct. So, things like dark tightly curled hair is not just an "African" trait but can be seen in other populations. Blonde hair is not just N. Europe either. There are blonde Austrialian aborigenees as well.

My take is that most "racial" traits we see are the result of sexual selection. People have kids with people that they find attractive. Once a trait gets started as "attractive" in a local population, it becomes more and more frequent. Of course some variations such as skin pigmentation may have had some benefit at some point in time, but over time those traits loose out to the sexual attractiveness factor.

That's the brief story. There are holes that anyone could drive a truck through, but I don't want to write an long essay.

My take is that most "racial" traits we see are the result of sexual selection.

I think you have that dead-arsed right. I always wanted to be more scholarly as a young man...but I had these hormones. I mean really - if it was female and had two legs - I was chasing it :beer: