• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Just bought a 360.

capstone21

Hyperhole?

The 360's systems have broken at a really high rate. Just ask around. If anything, I was once a 360 fanboy. Although I also owned a PS2.... But Microsoft is a garbage company. A cheap company. Their system screwed up my game and they refused to place it. Their best advice was: Go buy another copy. The last system they fixed... Well they sent me back one that will not even play DVD's. Now I got to send it back in again. It will play region free DVD's... So it's obviously not a US 360.

I was a Microsoft defender... Not anymore.

Okay,

Sucks for you. I've had 2 360's go out on me. Not only did they replace both, but they did it in a 2 week time period. For my trouble I got 2 free games, 2 months of live free, and a 2 year extended warranty on each system. Customer service was completely professional and apologized profusely for my troubles. Maybe he'll get your experience or maybe he'll get mine. Who knows. Everybody else I know who doesn't have their original 360 still operational had my experience.

Okay,

Everybody else I know who doesn't have their original 360 still operational had my experience.

Problem is everybody you know DOESN"T have their original 360. You've been through 2 already and you still think it's a good company because they were "nice" to you each time they replaced it? Sorry, I personally expect more out of my hard earned cash. I'm on my 3rd and every time it's been a month turn around on each and all they offered me was a month free of live (a free month for the month I didn't have my system). Hyperbole my arse.

Problem is everybody you know DOESN"T have their original 360. You've been through 2 already and you still think it's a good company because they were "nice" to you each time they replaced it? Sorry, I personally expect more out of my hard earned cash. I'm on my 3rd and every time it's been a month turn around on each and all they offered me was a month free of live (a free month for the month I didn't have my system). Hyperbole my arse.

You fellas have some terrible luck. Anyway, the newer 360's aren't experiencing the fail rate of the original units. Also MS has now made it possible to load your game onto your Hard Drive. This will eliminate most of the system issues because it won't tax the Disc Player.

You fellas have some terrible luck. Anyway, the newer 360's aren't experiencing the fail rate of the original units. Also MS has now made it possible to load your game onto your Hard Drive. This will eliminate most of the system issues because it won't tax the Disc Player.

No you just had good luck. The fail rate was put at between 30% and 50%, depending on who stats you looked at. I'd say 40% would not be a stretch. The new ones may not be failing at that clip but they aren't far behind. That is far from hyperbole.

I'm on my third unit. When I got mine repaired, they only sent a free month of Xbox Live. My warranty was not extended a year, and I certainly never got two free games. Should I call them and ask them about this?

Yeah, I think you do. I got Forza 2 the first time, and some goofy game I forget the name of the second time. Also, anytime you have a failure you should have your system warranty extended for 3 years. Google it they made a big announcement about it. Yeah, if I were you, I'd give them a a call and get more information. Maybe I am just lucky.

Fear the RED RING of Death! I can't turn my 360 on without thinking that damn thing is going to shut down on me. I'm on my third console, albeit, I was one of the game geeks that bought it the first day out, which had all kinds of issues.

Here's a trick, may have heard. If you get the RED RING...and your console doesn't work, obviously, you can buy 8-9 hours more of game play (perhaps, waiting for the boxes to be shipped to your house for repair, like I did? by doing this.

Turn on your console, and of course you'll see the red light blinking. Simply wrap a thick, cotton, bathroom towel completely and tightly around your console. Let it run all night long. The next morning, turn it off, and turn it back on, and you're good to go...I swear it works, times may vary of course. The first time I got a few hours before it shut down on me, the next time almost 8 hours...all depends. But it does work.

• Admin

If you have friends over, or like the genre, Rock Band 2 is one of the most fun gaming investments you could ever make. Castle Crashers off Xbox Live is awesome. Braid was kinda fun. Both the geometry wars games are amazing. GTA4 is a must have. Dead Space is good, Fallout 3 is awesome. Any of the Call of Duty games are great, I just don't play them on consoles. Just get a gamefly account and start hitting their most popular list.

Ignore the jilted haters. You likely will have no problems with the system. The new ones are have only a fraction of the failures of older systems. If you want to play games, it's the best gaming system on the market, period. It's also one hell of a media streamer and media center extender. If it does fail, you just send it in and get it repaired. It's hardly the end of the world.

• Admin
If you have friends over, or like the genre, Rock Band 2 is one of the most fun gaming investments you could ever make. Castle Crashers off Xbox Live is awesome. Braid was kinda fun. Both the geometry wars games are amazing. GTA4 is a must have. Dead Space is good, Fallout 3 is awesome. Any of the Call of Duty games are great, I just don't play them on consoles. Just get a gamefly account and start hitting their most popular list.

Ignore the jilted haters. You likely will have no problems with the system. The new ones are have only a fraction of the failures of older systems. If you want to play games, it's the best gaming system on the market, period. It's also one hell of a media streamer and media center extender. If it does fail, you just send it in and get it repaired. It's hardly the end of the world.

I played CoD on PC a lot. Modern Warfare was awesome. I just got tired of having to always upgrade my video card every couple of years.

Rock Band looks like a good laugh.

I've had 2 xbox 360's break down and each time i was too lazy to call customer support and wait 2 weeks or whatever for them to replace it so i just went out and bought a new one. It's how i roll.

Probably gonna get myself a PS3 for christmas though...any game recommendations? Definitely getting GTA4 and MGS4. What's the best NBA game?

Just so you're not misinformed, since the new "cooler" processors have been used the 360's failure rates went from 30% to 16%. It's expected to be even higher as the new precessors are used. Compared to PS3 and Wii's 3% you can see it's still a MAJOR issue. Also, it is not the "best gaming system, period". Some think it is, some think the PS3 is, some think the Wii is. My point is don't believe anything any fanboy of any particular system tells you as there is no clear cut winner between the 3.

I have all 3 systems and if you plan doing a lot of online gaming go with the 360. 360 live is way less aggrevating than Sony's online version. Do plan on sending your system in at least once. That way when it happens you won't be suprised and if you're lucky enough to not have to, you'll be pleasantly suprised.

If you plan on playing single player games the most go with the PS3. It's graphics are on par (superior now) with the 360 and it is an even better media streamer and extender than the 360 and IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE. Also the Blue ray player is top notch.

If you don't play a lot by yourself and only play it when people come over I'd go with the Wii as in many ways it is more entertaining than the big 2. Actually, I'd make the Wii my 2nd console and decide between the 360 and the PS3.

All 3 are awesome systems and all 3 have their own advantages and disadvantages.

• Moderators

Here is the latest according to Yahoo's headlines:

Remember last week's story about Jason Johnson, the Illinois man who sued Microsoft over his Xbox 360's alleged habit of scratching his game DVDs?

Documents unsealed in his court case revealed Microsoft discovered its Xbox 360 could scratch discs before it went on sale in 2005, and even got as far as considering three possible solutions to the problem, the Seattle Tech Report revealed today.

The characteristic circular scratches can occur whenever the orientation of the console -- which is designed to be used in either a horizontal or vertical position -- is changed while the drive is spinning. Johnson filed his suit after his console scratched three store-bought game discs, and is seeking $50,000 in punitive damages.

Testimony obtained from a Microsoft program manager indicates that Microsoft became aware of the problem months before the 360's launch when retail demonstration consoles malfunctioned. The company examined three solutions: strengthening the magnets that hold the discs in place, slowing the rotational speed of the discs, and installing rubber bumpers to cushion the discs, but rejected them all. Installing the bumpers could have cost as little as $0.50 per console, the suit claims.

It's not the first time Microsoft has come under fire for alleged foreknowledge of Xbox 360 hardware issues, either. Back in September, an expose penned by VentureBeat writer Dean Takahashi claimed systemic failures in Microsoft's design and quality assurance processes lead to the Xbox 360's now-infamous overheating "Red Ring of Death" failures.

Here is the latest according to Yahoo's headlines:

I'm sort of wondering how he can win that case. Who doesn't know you can't move a disc player while it's playing a disc? But, that's interesting none the less. Dsinner put it best I think. And if you really want to be safe buy your console with an extended warranty. That way you can take it back to Best Buy or wherever. Just be sure that company isn't close to bankruptcy.

• Moderators
Who doesn't know you can't move a disc player while it's playing a disc?

Apparently, Microsoft's customers:

Microsoft became aware of the problem months before the 360's launch when retail demonstration consoles malfunctioned.