• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Forum coming soon to Hawksquawk

gsuteke

This forum will be the final resting place for Hawksquawk threads deemed to good to simply wind up buried on page 317. I assure you there are plenty of them out there!

Per this conversation we decided it would be a good idea to add the new Forum to Hawksquawk.

Some archived threads will be moved as suggested by you the people and any future Squawk Threads deemed "classics" will simply be moved to said forum after all discussion has ceased on the topic days later.

After the new forum is launched there will probably be a pinned Thread for suggestions to go in.

For now let everyone know what you think right here, right now and feel free to make any initial suggestions!

Edited by gsuteke

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but why a whole forum? It seems like this is the kind of thing that could be stickied to the top of a forum with links to each thread that has been deemed a classic.Also, will there be some sort of formal voting guidelines as to what threads go into the classics? Something along the lines of a hall of fame balloting where it needs to be more than just a simple majority and there is a voter requirement. Seems like classics should have the consent of most involved in the thread and a general consensus of active participants of the Squawk at that time.

Just curious, but why a whole forum? It seems like this is the kind of thing that could be stickied to the top of a forum with links to each thread that has been deemed a classic.

It could be a topic from 3 years ago on whether we should trade AL Harrington. They need their special place outside of the HomeCourt Forum.

Also, will there be some sort of formal voting guidelines as to what threads go into the classics?

No. There are will be no stringent Guidelines. It could be a thread such as "The Artist" where a Poster has a meltdown. It could be a thread about whether to draft Yi Jianlin. It could be a thread about ATL making the playoffs last year.Funny. Serious. We have a bit of it all on HSIf you have a suggestion post the link to the thread. All types are welcome.Hawkfanatic I think you'll see that the members of HS are very clever. There will be some really good stuff on that forum for all to see.

No. There are will be no stringent Guidelines. It could be a thread such as "The Artist" where a Poster has a meltdown. It could be a thread about whether to draft Yi Jianlin. It could be a thread about ATL making the playoffs last year.

What was meant was not what types of threads, but how a thread gets into the Classic Forum. When a thread gets nominated for the Classic Forum, then how is it decided that it will go in?I like the idea, it will probably get a lot of old classic threads back up that will be a good laugh. My only thing is there should be some requirement for a thread getting into this new forum. It would dilute the quality of the Classic Forum if any thread that was nominated goes directly into the Classic Forum. So just throwing out arbitrary values and some quickly thought up guidelines:The thread must be at least 2 weeks old.There must be 25% of participants in the thread agree it is a classic.The Classic Committee must pass with 66% agreement.To be on the Classic Committee you must have 300 posts, be registered for more than 2 months...Just throwing out some random ideas for the forum (so don't take the numbers or the actual rules as absolutes or anything). I personally think it would be nice for the forum to not get overrun with threads that really aren't Classic. If threads could be put in there at will, I think it dilutes quality and also leaves the opportunity for a flame war (i.e. if GrayMule wanted to bring up a bunch of PosterX posts on Mike Conley as a way to humiliate PosterX...GM would never do that but other posters may).

This forum will be the final resting place for Hawksquawk threads deemed to good to simply wind up buried on page 317. I assure you there are plenty of them out there!

Per this conversation we decided it would be a good idea to add the new Forum to Hawksquawk.

Some archived threads will be moved as suggested by you the people and any future Squawk Threads deemed "classics" will simply be moved to said forum after all discussion has ceased on the topic days later.

After the new forum is launched there will probably be a pinned Thread for suggestions to go in.

For now let everyone know what you think right here, right now and feel free to make any initial suggestions!

Well done, gsu, well done. Now, lets put some inaugural threads in there.

Don't think we need a whole forum for it, but it'd just be yet another thing that will/has gone wrong with Hawksquawk and another theme that we should all just put under the unnecessary theme. ;)

?????????????????????????

Having a bad day?

;)

There won't be any rules. It's simply something to have some fun with.The premise behind it will make more sense when you see it up and running.For those of you with any concerns: It's a seperate forum that will be on the bottom next to the "Help Forum" you'll never ever see it unless you're interested in it.As I've said, the object is to provide The Squawk something to have a little fun with via the archives.

There won't be any rules. It's simply something to have some fun with.The premise behind it will make more sense when you see it up and running.

I must not be understanding the concept that well then. It just seems to me that almost any thread can be thrown into the forum.

• Moderators

I must not be understanding the concept that well then. It just seems to me that almost any thread can be thrown into the forum.

I haven't discussed this with gsuteke at all, but I would assume there will be some moderator discretion that will weed out run of the mill threads.

I haven't discussed this with gsuteke at all, but I would assume there will be some moderator discretion that will weed out run of the mill threads.

the number of threads there will reflect the creative searching abilities of the Squawk plus any new ones that come up.My guess is about 20 or so will wind up there at first but the number certainly won't be limited to that.Think of it as a "Greatest Hits" forum. These threads are rare and far between.

That is my main concern, and it would be nice to have some sort of guidelines set out. They don't need to be strict or anything, just a way to keep the quality of this forum high and also keep away from the chances of having the forum as just a way to overly humiliate a poster.I would imagine Diesel Math would be there and should be there, but I would hate for the whole forum to turn into "Let's try and humiliate Diesel" type of thing going on. And this applies to not just Diesel, but everyone. Keeping the forum in good fun and quality is my main concern and I think an explicit set of guidelines would be the best way to do it. What the actual guidelines are is arbitrary, but it should in some way reflect a general consensus or attitude of the Squawk as to what is Classic. Like while I may consider a post by MrH on our salary cap situation as Classic, others may not find this to be the case and not want it in the Classic Forum.

The search function on this site isn't as good as the one on the old site. I could pull up old threads in no time before but it is a little tougher now.

What is difficult about the search here? IMO this search is every bit as powerful but if there is some specific reason why you don't think it's as good I'd like to hear it so that maybe I can do something about it.

I tried to find that old thread where Diesel busted KB21 in the worst way but i couldn't find it. I know the title to the thread was Web of Lies but it doesn't come up.

The problem with that is whether or not that was the first title in the thread. Since we moved here and away from the non-threaded style all of the titles for the threads where someone would reply and change the title are lost since this type of forum system doesn't support it. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Hawkfanatic has brought up some good points. There will definitely need to be some moderator (and member) discretion as to which threads are deemed "classics" and I definitely don't want to see it become a "look how this person was humiliated" type of forum either. Another point that is worth discussing that Hawksfanatic brought up is that maybe it shouldn't be an entire forum since the only way to get the "classic" threads there would be to move them from their original forum and that might make searching for them later on difficult.

The problem with that is whether or not that was the first title in the thread. Since we moved here and away from the non-threaded style all of the titles for the threads where someone would reply and change the title are lost since this type of forum system doesn't support it.

I'll see if I can find that thread.

Thanks but that wasn't the case here. That was the initial title to the thread which Diesel started and it was classic ownage.