• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Seven Pounds

Admin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see this movie earlier today and it was a lot better than I expected. The movie is confusing and seems to have a ton of loose ends but it all comes together in the end into a brilliant ending.

I wanted to see this..... But alot of people say it's dumb. Which wouldn't surprise me since a bulk of Will Smith's movies stink. Men In Black was such a blast back in the day, but he hasn't done a movie since that I actually like. It's too bad. I had hopes for this one, but the things I read leaves me with doubts. It has a good cast with Dawson, Barry Pepper and Woody Harrelson.

Spoiler:

Suicide my jellyfish sounds stupid as hell.

Edited by Dolfan23
Fixed your spoiler tag

I wanted to see this..... But alot of people say it's dumb. Which wouldn't surprise me since a bulk of Will Smith's movies stink. Men In Black was such a blast back in the day, but he hasn't done a movie since that I actually like. It's too bad. I had hopes for this one, but the things I read leaves me with doubts. It has a good cast with Dawson, Barry Pepper and Woody Harrelson.

I don't get why some people try to find out so much about movies before they go and see them for themselves. No matter what someone says you are going to form some type of preconceived notion about the movie. As far as it being dumb or the ending being dumb, I suppose that depends on who you talk to.

I don't get why some people try to find out so much about movies before they go and see them for themselves. No matter what someone says you are going to form some type of preconceived notion about the movie. As far as it being dumb or the ending being dumb, I suppose that depends on who you talk to.

I'll usually read a Plot Synopsis or something. But people were making in fun of the ending and I wondered if it was really that bad. From what it says about the ending, I would say yes. I blind bought The Pursuit of Happyness, but I haven't watched it yet.

I don't like Will's movies, but I haven't written him off 100%. I'm waiting for him to branch out alittle bit and see if he can do something that is really interesting.

I'll usually read a Plot Synopsis or something. But people were making in fun of the ending and I wondered if it was really that bad. From what it says about the ending, I would say yes. I blind bought The Pursuit of Happyness, but I haven't watched it yet.

I don't like Will's movies, but I haven't written him off 100%. I'm waiting for him to branch out alittle bit and see if he can do something that is really interesting.

I thought that the ending was great and nobody in the theater was making fun of it that I could hear. A lot of people were pretty teary eyed coming out of there that's for sure.

I didn't click that link because I never agree with the "trendy" people on rottentomatoes who all think they are next siskel and ebert.

The matometer is at like 40 something I think for the movie.

Most of them actually like Will Smith on that site.

No doubt there are trendy people on there. In fact, remember how I said people would start to see how flawed TDK was when it was released on DVD? It's already happening:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthr...2230&page=1

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=662244

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthr...9175&page=1

I remember when I first seen TDK and said it's a flawed movie and people will start to see that on repeated viewings. I was really attacked for it. I like TDK alot, but it's funny that people denied that it's a flawed movie when it came out, but now say it's flawed. On top of that, they act like Batman 1989 and Jack Nicholson's Joker is so terrible. Why can't people like different versions?

With the said, I do agree with them more often than I do the more casual movie fan.

Back to this movie, the more I find out what it's about and how it goes down the less I like. But I'm not a WS fan anyway. Never was. I'm not against tear jerker type of movies. As I said, I love Million Dollar Baby (it's become very hated on Rottentomatoes also) but I don't know. I just never bought into the Will Smith show.

The matometer is at like 40 something I think for the movie.

Most of them actually like Will Smith on that site.

No doubt there are trendy people on there. In fact, remember how I said people would start to see how flawed TDK was when it was released on DVD? It's already happening:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthr...2230&page=1

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=662244

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthr...9175&page=1

I remember when I first seen TDK and said it's a flawed movie and people will start to see that on repeated viewings. I was really attacked for it. I like TDK alot, but it's funny that people denied that it's a flawed movie when it came out, but now say it's flawed. On top of that, they act like Batman 1989 and Jack Nicholson's Joker is so terrible. Why can't people like different versions?

With the said, I do agree with them more often than I do the more casual movie fan.

Back to this movie, the more I find out what it's about and how it goes down the less I like. But I'm not a WS fan anyway. Never was. I'm not against tear jerker type of movies. As I said, I love Million Dollar Baby (it's become very hated on Rottentomatoes also) but I don't know. I just never bought into the Will Smith show.

I don't think it makes someone a casual fan just because they don't try and use their word of the day toilet paper to write something hip on rottentomatoes. My DVD collection is near 1,000 now and I've seen many of them multiple times but I'd never post on that site because I think that most of them are just trying to impress each other.

I'm not at all surprised that they have said negative things about TDK. That still doesn't change how much I loved the movie and loved seeing it once it came out on DVD. Whether it was better than the 89 version is debatable, although I definitely prefer Keaton as Batman over anyone else that has played him. Ledger as the Joker was an amazing performance and I definitely prefer it to Jack's.

I don't think it makes someone a casual fan just because they don't try and use their word of the day toilet paper to write something hip on rottentomatoes. My DVD collection is near 1,000 now and I've seen many of them multiple times but I'd never post on that site because I think that most of them are just trying to impress each other.

I'm not at all surprised that they have said negative things about TDK. That still doesn't change how much I loved the movie and loved seeing it once it came out on DVD. Whether it was better than the 89 version is debatable, although I definitely prefer Keaton as Batman over anyone else that has played him. Ledger as the Joker was an amazing performance and I definitely prefer it to Jack's.

Oh, it's VERY loved on that site. The only thing I've seen beat it out in a poll so far is Return of the King. But it does have some flaws. It's just that, when I came out everybody acted like it was a flawless movie and I was bashed for not agreeing.

I mean really, ALOT has to happen for Jokers plan to come together. Bale's Batman voice is bad, Rachel Dawes is given little to do. The scene where Batman just flat out caves in the roof of that truck when he jumps on top of it. I give it an 8/10, but I'm still one of the very few that prefers BB. I just like the focus on the Batman character more.

I don't always agree with them. I have many movies in my collection that fail on the tomatometer:

Saw-Saw III

Tommy Boy

The Da Vinci Code

Dead Silence

The Devil's Rejects (One of my favorites)

Four Brothers

Shaft (Both versions)

Just to name a few. I've had my fair share of arguments on that site even though I post there alot.

I only have about 300-400 hundred. I wasn't a serious movie fan until around 2003 or so.

Do you have your collection up?

What would say are your favorite genres?

I would say for me it would be Crime Drama, Psychological Thriller, Crime Thriller and Blaxploitation type of movies. I know you would expect westerns to be there. By my list of westerns that I truly like is smaller than you would think.

Pure action movies (with the exceptions being ones I grew up with) and Lord of the Rings type of movies are ones I really don't like to watch that much.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Some of the guys at insidehoops don't like it either:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113787

So it's not just the tomato board. The critics have bashed it also.

Now Shawshank Redemption is getting trashed:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=662383

"The movie does nothing for me & I can't stand the hype it receives"

"Hate it."

"Prison is such a cute place."

"what's good about morgan freeman anyway, with so many adorers"

And that is ALL that you need to know about why that site is full or morons. They probably hate the Godfather, Pulp Fiction, and the Big Lebowski as well there.

No, they love those. But it seems like everyday and new popular movie gets hated on.

They trash Million Dollar Baby also. Which alot people may hate that movie now. But I've always loved it other than the mom character. She was overdone abit.

Batman 1989

Mystic River

Batman Begins

V for Vendetta

The Departed

Forrest Gump-How do you hate Forrest Gump?

Those movies get hated on alot. Sean Penn is also bashed alot. They tend to hate movies that are highly rated on IMDB.

They love American Psycho and Lord of the Rings though.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators
Now Shawshank Redemption is getting trashed:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=662383

"The movie does nothing for me & I can't stand the hype it receives"

"Hate it."

"Prison is such a cute place."

"what's good about morgan freeman anyway, with so many adorers"

Those people have no soul.

Two add my two cents in. I believe movies are a lot like commercials. They cater to different people. This is based on social class,Race,Gender, Maturity level,economic class, ect. With this respect I am not sure how people can rate a movie without separating the ratings in to these classes. If you lump these all together and produce one rating then depending on who votes or who votes the most the rating will be lopsided. Case in point on this movie. This argument. I have found that the difference of opinions about Will Smith movies of late have generally been the difference between maturity levels. I believe the persuite of Happyness was a great movie but neither of my sons liked it. The thought it was dumb and boring. But they really were not mature enough to enjoy what the movie was about. I have to respect that. They are not expected to be that mature. But if I went off of there rating of the movie I would miss a movie I really enjoyed.

Two add my two cents in. I believe movies are a lot like commercials. They cater to different people. This is based on social class,Race,Gender, Maturity level,economic class, ect. With this respect I am not sure how people can rate a movie without separating the ratings in to these classes. If you lump these all together and produce one rating then depending on who votes or who votes the most the rating will be lopsided. Case in point on this movie. This argument. I have found that the difference of opinions about Will Smith movies of late have generally been the difference between maturity levels. I believe the persuite of Happyness was a great movie but neither of my sons liked it. The thought it was dumb and boring. But they really were not mature enough to enjoy what the movie was about. I have to respect that. They are not expected to be that mature. But if I went off of there rating of the movie I would miss a movie I really enjoyed.

I like all kinds of movies. I even have 101 Dalmatians in my collection. I hear about it from the people I know. lol

I own The Pursuit if Happyness, but I haven't watched it.

I don't disrespect every movie I don't like or didn't get anything out of. In fact, I turned off: 2001: A Space Odyssey the other day about 45 minutes into it. It simply didn't do anything for me. So I don't give it a rating. I can't say that it's poorly made or poorly acted or anything. It's simply not my cup of tea.

A guy like Adam Sandler....I like Happy Gilmore. But I think it's just an act that wears it's self out. He's been doing basically these same movies for 15 years. I can accept a toilet humor movie every once in a while, but when somebody does it over and over and over I just start to believe they're milking the crowd for the biggest payday.

What makes it more frustrating, is that I think Adam can do more. Maybe that's why I'm harder on him than I am a guy like Rob Schneider who will always be a hack.

I've come to respect Brad Pitt over the last few years. Everybody wants to make money. No doubt. But it's good to see mainstream guys take on indy projects and show that they do have some interest in doing stuff that will not make as much money. With movies like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Jesse James and Burn After Reading he is showing good balance after playing in films like Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Ocean's Thirteen.

With Will Smith it is mainstream fluff after mainstream fluff. I can't respect him as long as he keeps doing that.

Edited by Hotlanta1981