Seven Pounds

Admin

I remember seeing some movie i think was called "Mars"(aka red planet) and it was boring as hell. i slept through the movie until the tail end.

I even thought the passion of the christ was boring as hell.

Bottom line some people have different taste. an expiring movie basically means boring to some folks. I haven't seen seven pounds but from what i here its a good movie but confusing.

As of will smith, he is a good actor but just needs to pick his movies better but 83% percent of his movies are pretty damn good. Maybe not oscar worthy but good.

As of adam sandler, he does the same damn movies time after time again. then its not even funny most the time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing some movie i think was called "Mars"(aka red planet) and it was boring as hell. i slept through the movie until the tail end.

I even thought the passion of the christ was boring as hell.

Bottom line some people have different taste. an expiring movie basically means boring to some folks. I haven't seen seven pounds but from what i here its a good movie but confusing.

As of will smith, he is a good actor but just needs to pick his movies better but 83% percent of his movies are pretty damn good. Maybe not oscar worthy but good.

As of adam sandler, he does the same damn movies time after time again. then its not even funny most the time.

I don't agree that most of Will Smiths movie are good. Bad movies:

Bad Boys II. Even by action film standards it's overlong and boring. The first one is better. It's a tighter movie.

Wild Wild West. One of the worst movies of all time. Poor acting and writing and a laughable soundtrack make it a complete failure.

Men In Black II. Generic sequel to a good genre film. MIB was like Ghostbusters for the new generation.

I Am Legend-Pretty much a bad boring movie.

I haven't seen Hitch, I Robot, Six Degrees and Happyness and a few of the others. I have this feeling that most of the ones I haven't seen fall into the mediocre category.

Men In Black is good, Bad Boys is a decent action movie. Enemy of the State was ok when I first seen it. Overall, his movies probably do fall in the mediocre category on average.

I don't agree that most of Will Smiths movie are good. Bad movies:

Bad Boys II. Even by action film standards it's overlong and boring. The first one is better. It's a tighter movie.

Wild Wild West. One of the worst movies of all time. Poor acting and writing and a laughable soundtrack make it a complete failure.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/style_...es/rte-list.gif

Men In Black II. Generic sequel to a good genre film. MIB was like Ghostbusters for the new generation.

I Am Legend-Pretty much a bad boring movie.

I haven't seen Hitch, I Robot, Six Degrees and Happyness and a few of the others. I have this feeling that most of the ones I haven't seen fall into the mediocre category.

Men In Black is good, Bad Boys is a decent action movie. Enemy of the State was ok when I first seen it. Overall, his movies probably do fall in the mediocre category on average.

besides WWW will hasn't done a flat out bad movie. everything else is at least strait.

MIB2- Solid, usually sequals are not as good as the first.

BB2- Good Movie, sequals usually fall short of the first.

WWW- Bad movie. will smith will tell you that.

I am Legend- Haven't seen it.

Pursuit of Happiness- Good but not exciting(which it shouldn't be)

I robot- Sci Fi movie about robots, its strait hit or miss depends on you. nothing special

everything else is above average. i will say this, he is trying to hard to get an Oscar. CHILL OUT WILLIE.

besides WWW will hasn't done a flat out bad movie. everything else is at least strait.

MIB2- Solid, usually sequals are not as good as the first.

WWW- Bad movie. will smith will tell you that.

I am Legend- Haven't seen it.

Pursuit of Happiness- Good but not exciting(which it shouldn't be)

I robot- Sci Fi movie about robots, its strait hit or miss depends on you. nothing special

everything else is above average. i will say this, he is trying to hard to get an Oscar. CHILL OUT WILLIE.

I just believe this belongs down there with WWW. It's just so dull.

There are plenty of good sequels: T2, Back to the Future II, The Godfather II, Aliens, Die Hard 3, Lethal Weapon 2 just to name a few. I was shocked by how dull Bad Boys II is. It runs atleast 30 minutes over it's deserving running time. This is the type of action movies that really hurts it's self once it gets past 2 hours.

Back even when I was an action movie fan I still didn't like this one.

• Premium Member

I don't mind rottentomatoes. I look for films that are at least a 6/10 from 'everyday joe' and 6/10 from critics. I've rarely seen a good movie that doesn't meet that criteria.

That said, the Netflix algorithm is getting better everyday...

I just believe this belongs down there with WWW. It's just so dull.

There are plenty of good sequels: T2, Back to the Future II, The Godfather II, Aliens, Die Hard 3, Lethal Weapon 2 just to name a few. I was shocked by how dull Bad Boys II is. It runs atleast 30 minutes over it's deserving running time. This is the type of action movies that really hurts it's self once it gets past 2 hours.

Back even when I was an action movie fan I still didn't like this one.

Bad Boyz 2 was watchable till the end. WWW was a movie that so bad you couldnt believe will smith did that movie.

Will Smith did a smart hing by turning down a superman role.

Pursuit of Happyness was killer, as was Enemy of the State. And the Sandler movies Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Spanglish, Click, and Reign Over Me were all awesome yet WAY different from each other :conversation:

• Premium Member

Diesel's take....

SPOILER

Well, not much of a spoiler, but I did go to see the movie, with the wife so I have an informed opinion.

First off...

The movie was like sitting through 3 funerals by the time it was over. That's the emotion that the movie pulled up. Seriously, the theater was quiet and you could hear sniffles all over the building. Whoever said that the movie had a stupid ending, was probably a 12 year old. Will did seem to have lost a lot of weight.

I think for the purpose of this discussion, LRenfro is 100% correct... YOu have differences in preference and a lot of times, it's based on maturity. Many of the people who are posted to these sites and want to be siskel and ebert are between the ages of 30 and 14.... That's my guess. The only thing I and many of my age group have offered an opinion on online is Amazon purchases when they are very good... so I wouldn't get caught up in Viewer response if you're not 14-30.

About the movie... It was very thought provoking...

SPOILER....

1. That was far too much guilt for one man to carry. Me, myself, personally... I wouldn't have felt that much guilt. 2. I disagree with Dol when he says that the movie was confusing... I personally believe that they went through great steps to clear up everything by the end. 3. For me... Emily became the most important reason for him to live and the most important reason for him to die. It's a movie that makes you really consider what would you do for those who you love? 4. There are certain themes that you have to think about once you leave the movie... many unstated in the movie: Organ Donation, driving while distracted (a big one for me... I dislike people who do it and think there needs to be laws against it.), elderly care, and being kind to one another (Woody).

That's my take.

Diesel...

Sorry, but suicide by jelly fish in the bath tub is STUPID if that is really the ending. Retarded. I'm sure it has a 28% on the tomatometer for a good reason. I've found that movies that low on the meter are usually movies I either don't like or the movie ends up being a guilty pleasure. Does that mean I always agree with critics? Hell no. But if the reviews think that badly of it, so will I most likely.

With the way Million Dollar Baby gets trashed on the tomatoes message board, I'm not surprised that this movie would be hated there.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
Diesel...

Sorry, but suicide by jelly fish in the bath tub is STUPID if that is really the ending. Retarded. I'm sure it has a 28% on the tomatometer for a good reason. I've found that movies that low on the meter are usually movies I either don't like or the movie ends up being a guilty pleasure. Does that mean I always agree with critics? Hell no. But if the reviews think that badly of it, so will I most likely.

I suggest tasting a cake before getting everybody's opinions on the cake. People will feel differently about it. But to live your life by a tomatometer is really Lemminglike. I mean, even though we have all this technology and we can instantly get people's opinions doesn't mean that I always want it. What happened to the joy of just finding out for yourself? I mean, I get the feeling that you wait until you have read every review before going to see anything? Is that right? If so, man.. that sucks. Nothing personal but some of the best times I have had at the movies were going to see movies that I knew nothing about. I don't want somebody to set a tone for me. I guess that's just me, but I hate when people say " don't go see that... you won't like it... go see this instead, you'll enjoy it"... Part of living life is actually going out and living it.

I suggest tasting a cake before getting everybody's opinions on the cake. People will feel differently about it. But to live your life by a tomatometer is really Lemminglike. I mean, even though we have all this technology and we can instantly get people's opinions doesn't mean that I always want it. What happened to the joy of just finding out for yourself? I mean, I get the feeling that you wait until you have read every review before going to see anything? Is that right? If so, man.. that sucks. Nothing personal but some of the best times I have had at the movies were going to see movies that I knew nothing about. I don't want somebody to set a tone for me. I guess that's just me, but I hate when people say " don't go see that... you won't like it... go see this instead, you'll enjoy it"... Part of living life is actually going out and living it.

Well, first off... I've never been big on going to the theater. In fact, I've seen maybe 25 movies in theater my whole life. I always enjoy movies more at home by myself.

I saw TDK the first weekend it came out. I don't think it's a great film like everybody says. Most of the reviews have it as one of the best movies ever. I don't agree. So no, I don't always agree with the critics. Wanted had a near 80% positive rating when it was in theaters. But I didn't bother because I could see by the trailer what the movie really is.

What I have noticed is that if a movie on there tends to get a really low rating I rarely have disagreed. If only 37 out of 133 people like a movie, that's not a very good sign.

I also saw 3:10 to Yuma on opening weekend before all the reviews came in.

This movie seems as if it's only thing is to pull at your heart. Like all it sets out to do is force you to cry.

Here is allmovie's review:

Review by Perry Seibert

The director of Seven Pounds, Gabriele Muccino, constructs the story so that a major secret stays hidden from the audience until the very end, making a spoiler-free synopsis of the movie sound either mysterious or incoherent. With that caveat in mind, Seven Pounds stars Will Smith as Ben Thomas, a mysterious IRS agent investigating people who either suffer from a terminal illness or live in mortal danger. While staking out Emily (Rosario Dawson), an artist in need of a heart transplant, he falls in love with her. As he negotiates this new relationship -- and carries on his various investigations -- he also engages in cryptic conversations with a morose lawyer (Barry Pepper), cares for a pet jellyfish, and fends off haunting memories of a car accident.

When a movie keeps a key piece of information away from the audience -- something that explains why a character behaves the way he does -- you have to ask yourself, after it's over, if the story would be any better had all the cards been laid on the table right up front. In this case, the answer doesn't matter -- the film would fail regardless. Granted, if Ben's motivations were clear, the romantic subplot would certainly be more poignant. But on the other hand, his behavior toward other characters -- especially his humiliation of the blind customer-service rep, Ezra (Woody Harrelson) -- would raise questions about Ben's ethics that the film doesn't want to ask because those questions would make Ben less appealing. And, since this is a Will Smith star vehicle through and through, the director can't afford to leave you with any doubt about Ben's saintliness. In order to avoid this pitfall, the director confuses the audience -- distracting us with a series of tear-jerking moments (cue the children's choir and the feeble senior citizens) -- so that we never consider the most troubling aspects of the main character. To make matters worse, Muccino doesn't even do a credible job of keeping the supposedly earth-shattering secret -- an event finally depicted in full during the movie's climax. Expert filmgoers will be able to piece the whole thing together very early on, and most everyone else will know at about the halfway mark. All of this makes Seven Pounds an insult to the intelligence of most moviegoers."

I'll see the movie when it gets on HBO or something. But other than the cast, I'm not seeing much here. I don't want to go to a movie just to cry just as I don't want to go see a movie just to watch things get blown up.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

1. That was far too much guilt for one man to carry. Me, myself, personally... I wouldn't have felt that much guilt. 2. I disagree with Dol when he says that the movie was confusing... I personally believe that they went through great steps to clear up everything by the end. 3. For me... Emily became the most important reason for him to live and the most important reason for him to die. It's a movie that makes you really consider what would you do for those who you love? 4. There are certain themes that you have to think about once you leave the movie... many unstated in the movie: Organ Donation, driving while distracted (a big one for me... I dislike people who do it and think there needs to be laws against it.), elderly care, and being kind to one another (Woody).

That's my take.

I don't think the movie was confusing at the end but most people I've talked to about the movie agree that it was confusing for a large part of the movie although it certainly came together at the end and wrapped up extremely well.

I agree with LRenfro and D about maturity being a large factor as to whether a movie like this will be enjoyable or not.

• Premium Member
I don't think the movie was confusing at the end but most people I've talked to about the movie agree that it was confusing for a large part of the movie although it certainly came together at the end and wrapped up extremely well.

I agree with LRenfro and D about maturity being a large factor as to whether a movie like this will be enjoyable or not.

Really, the only confusing part of the movies going through was: Why was he being so mean to Woody.. I mean that was really harsh.

IRL, you don't get a chance to pick your donations. It would be nice to know if the guy who gets your brain is a guy who is a prick or if he's a saint. It would be nice to designate the people who gets what you have to give. Unfortunately, I don't think it works like that totally. I'm sure that there are some cases where you can determine maybe one or two donations, but not all of them.

Total bleakness doesn't equal maturity.

Interesting enough.... The charts at IMDB suggest otherwise:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814314/ratings

This film is actually gets a higher rating with younger folks than it does older folks.

I think movie snobs like any other snobs are a waste of life. Who cares if you think the scene between Pacino and Deniro in "Heat" was forced haha. Come on folks its a movie. Entertainment. By definition its susceptible to taste. In my opinion Will Smith with 7 pounds has crossed into Denzel Washington, Sam Jackson, and Morgan Freemon territory for me. I trust I'll enjoy any vehicle he has a significant part in.

Edited by sultanofatl

I think movie snobs like any other snobs are a waste of life. Who cares if you think the scene between Pacino and Deniro in "Heat" was forced haha. Come on folks its a movie. Entertainment. By definition its susceptible to taste. In my opinion Will Smith with 7 pounds has crossed into Denzel Washington, Sam Jackson, and Morgan Freemon territory for me. I trust I'll enjoy any vehicle he has a significant part in.

Movies to some people are more. I think the average American is a low brow type of person. Every movie doesn't have to be art. But you look at the popularity of most things in this country and it's shocking. America is fast food, bubble gum music, and fluff movies nowadays. Fluff "Reality" TV shows. It reflects badly of people.

God no! Please don't show me anything that I can't half@ss watch and understand.

It seems that people now only like to fight over a bunch of dirtbag politicians.

Do I consider myself a snob? No, I have plenty of movies in my collection that snobs would throw into the trash. But I will not accept any piece of fluff as good. I'm not in large part going to accept trash that simply exploits the movie goers. Kind of what Tyler Perry does with his movies. It gets on my nerves when actors/directors do like that.

Funny that Will Smith is always involved with these type of movies.

Even Sam Jackson has taken on projects like Eve's Bayou and Black Snake Moan and The Incredibles. Granted, most of the time he does play up to his image. But every once in a while he steps out of that. But in a few movies he has shown that he can be more than a gimmick.

Take a guy even like Bale... I'm more than worn out on his dark character in movie after movie. I don't understand how people don't get tired of the same old thing over and over again. I know your going to say that sounds funny coming from me.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member

You mean... Wild, Wild, West Will Smith?

You mean... Men in Black Will Smith?

You mean... Bad Boys I and II Will Smith?

You mean the fresh prince of Bel Aire Will Smith?

I think what you and obviously some others fail to realize is that WIll Smith is a guy who can act and play any role you put in front of him.

Sure, he can do the silly stuff, he was on one of the best sit coms for several years. I think people get typecasted into believing that everything that WS does is supposed to be funny.

However, he also did a very believable ALI.

He also can do roles like this one and Pursuit of Happiness.

How many actors can you name that can successfully go from sitcom to serious? How many can you name that can put you there in the situation?

It's an art. Look it over and compare the different roles . How many actors can you name with the range to go from Comedy to Action Hero to Drama?

# Seven Pounds (2008) .... Ben Thomas

# Hancock (2008) .... John Hancock

# I Am Legend (2007) .... Robert Neville

# The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) .... Chris Gardner

# Hitch (2005/I) .... Alex 'Hitch' Hitchens

# Shark Tale (2004) (voice) .... Oscar

# I, Robot (2004) .... Del Spooner

# Bad Boys II (2003) .... Detective Mike Lowrey

# Men in Black II (2002) .... Agent Jay

# Ali (2001) .... Cassius Clay / Cassius X / Muhammad Ali

# The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000) .... Bagger Vance

# Wild Wild West (1999) .... Capt. James West

# Enemy of the State (1998) .... Robert Clayton Dean

# Men in Black (1997) .... James Edwards / Agent J (Jay) / "Slick"

... aka MIB (USA: promotional abbreviation)

# Independence Day (1996) .... Captain Steven Hiller

... aka ID4 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

# Bad Boys (1995) .... Mike Lowrey

# Six Degrees of Separation (1993) .... Paul

# Made in America (1993) .... Tea Cake Walters

# Where the Day Takes You (1992) .... Manny

Movies to some people are more. I think the average American is a low brow type of person. Every movie doesn't have to be art. But you look at the popularity of most things in this country and it's shocking. America is fast food, bubble gum music, and fluff movies nowadays. Fluff "Reality" TV shows. It reflects badly of people.

God no! Please don't show me anything that I can't half@ss watch and understand.

It seems that people now only like to fight over a bunch of dirtbag politicians.

Do I consider myself a snob? No, I have plenty of movies in my collection that snobs would throw into the trash. But I will not accept any piece of fluff as good. I'm not in large part going to accept trash that simply exploits the movie goers. Kind of what Tyler Perry does with his movies. It gets on my nerves when actors/directors do like that.

Even Sam Jackson has taken on projects like Eve's Bayou and Black Snake Moan and The Incredibles. Granted, most of the time he does play up to his image. But every once in a while he steps out of that. But in a few movies he has shown that he can be more than a gimmick.

Take a guy even like Bale... I'm more than worn out on his dark character in movie after movie. I don't understand how people don't get tired of the same old thing over and over again. I know your going to say that sounds funny coming from me.

It's fine to have a refined palette. But, don't knock me if I think a whopper with cheese and a coke is more alluring than Ruth's Chris(don't take this seriously. I love Ruth's Chris). I applaud a man who can intellectually discuss his amusement. But, not everyone requires the same level of stimulation. You know what draws me to a Sam Jackson or Will Smith in a movie? They relay an almost identical response I would imagine my self having in these fictitious events. That's the essence of acting to me. Bringing reality to the absurd.

You mean... Wild, Wild, West Will Smith?

You mean... Men in Black Will Smith?

You mean... Bad Boys I and II Will Smith?

You mean the fresh prince of Bel Aire Will Smith?

I think what you and obviously some others fail to realize is that WIll Smith is a guy who can act and play any role you put in front of him.

Sure, he can do the silly stuff, he was on one of the best sit coms for several years. I think people get typecasted into believing that everything that WS does is supposed to be funny.

However, he also did a very believable ALI.

He also can do roles like this one and Pursuit of Happiness.

How many actors can you name that can successfully go from sitcom to serious? How many can you name that can put you there in the situation?

It's an art. Look it over and compare the different roles . How many actors can you name with the range to go from Comedy to Action Hero to Drama?

# Seven Pounds (2008) .... Ben Thomas

# Hancock (2008) .... John Hancock

# I Am Legend (2007) .... Robert Neville

# The Pursuit of Happyness (2006) .... Chris Gardner

# Hitch (2005/I) .... Alex 'Hitch' Hitchens

# Shark Tale (2004) (voice) .... Oscar

# I, Robot (2004) .... Del Spooner

# Bad Boys II (2003) .... Detective Mike Lowrey

# Men in Black II (2002) .... Agent Jay

# Ali (2001) .... Cassius Clay / Cassius X / Muhammad Ali

# The Legend of Bagger Vance (2000) .... Bagger Vance

# Wild Wild West (1999) .... Capt. James West

# Enemy of the State (1998) .... Robert Clayton Dean

# Men in Black (1997) .... James Edwards / Agent J (Jay) / "Slick"

... aka MIB (USA: promotional abbreviation)

# Independence Day (1996) .... Captain Steven Hiller

... aka ID4 (USA: promotional abbreviation)

# Bad Boys (1995) .... Mike Lowrey

# Six Degrees of Separation (1993) .... Paul

# Made in America (1993) .... Tea Cake Walters

# Where the Day Takes You (1992) .... Manny

He's the same guy in all the movies I've seen him in. 95% of the work he does is mainstream fluff.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys II, ID4, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, MIBII, I, Robot, Hitch. All of it. He is like a cartoon character. I've never been able to take him as a serious actor. He doesn't do hardly any offbeat stuff. Everybody does mainstream stuff. I understand that. It's almost a must for the actors to be able to do their smaller projects.

Will picks in mainstream fluff to get involved in. Even as an action star, he picks mediocre action movies to be in. Even the mainstream projects he takes on tend to suck. Arnold couldn't act, but atleast he took on quality projects like Predator, Terminator, T-2, and True Lies. Men In Black might be the best movie Will has done, but it's far from a classic or great movie.

He is the real life adult Josh Baskin.

He's the same guy in all the movies I've seen him in. 95% of the work he does is mainstream fluff.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys II, ID4, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, MIBII, I, Robot, Hitch. All of it. He is like a cartoon character. I've never been able to take him as a serious actor. He doesn't do hardly any offbeat stuff. Everybody does mainstream stuff. I understand that. It's almost a must for the actors to be able to do their smaller projects.

Will picks in mainstream fluff to get involved in. Even as an action star, he picks mediocre action movies to be in. Even the mainstream projects he takes on tend to suck. Arnold couldn't act, but atleast he took on quality projects like Predator, Terminator, T-2, and True Lies. Men In Black might be the best movie Will has done, but it's far from a classic or great movie.

He is the real life adult Josh Baskin.

Please stop, you making me laugh with your pathetic arguments. your 2 funny. you had the audacity..THE AUDACITY to bring up arnold. didnt he do the worst batman movie ever?

please your hurtin my stomach.