Happy Tears Tomorrow

DJlaysitup

Tomorrow is a huge day - and I will cry like a baby when Barack Hussien Obama takes the oath of office. As a previous Navy Officer, I reinlisted many young men. I thought it was only decent to memorize the talk - to show proper grace to what they were doing. Giving their young life-time to our country. Since then many things have happened and I have been close to disavowing my earlier beliefs...I look at tomorrow as a new beginning...something I can be proud of....and I'll cry like a baby when that man talks and takes the oath of office

I grew up in Illinois, am a veteran, a VFW member, and I am Goddamned proud to be an American on January 20th....2009.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow is a huge day - and I will cry like a baby when Barack Hussien Obama takes the oath of office. As a previous Navy Officer, I reinlisted many young men. I thought it was only decent to memorize the talk - to show proper grace to what they were doing. Giving their young life-time to our country. Since then many things have happened and I have been close to disavowing my earlier beliefs...I look at tomorrow as a new beginning...something I can be proud of....and I'll cry like a baby when that man talks and takes the oath of office

I grew up in Illinois, am a veteran, a VFW member, and I am Goddamned proud to be an American on January 20th....2009.

I couldn't agree more, DJ. But this is just one step. I haven't been very proud of my country in a long time. Tomorrow I will be. He's the best man for the job and he's the president. That's the way it should be.

Even though I am a republican it will be a great day tomorrow. I was raised and to this day believe the most people are not racists but that the racist are the loudest ones. This is america where anyone can rise above the conditions in which they were born and achieve more. That is what this nation is all about.

Our country is in such dire need of something hopeful and for both sides to pull together. So much of the last few years have set us back. One thing I am most appreciative of is that Obama is a throw back to what so many of our leaders were all about decades ago. Doing the right thing and cheering on the Red, White and Blue. Time to heal.

Not to spoil the mood, but these things just get more expensive and elaborate every year...

Coronation might be a better term that inauguration...Many kings/queens would love to have $170M spent on their coronation ceremony...

You're right about that, it's ridiculous that these things cost so much, but at least from what I've heard the cost to the taxpayers is less than what was for Bush's inauguration.

To the original point of the thread this is a great day for the United States no matter what anyone's personal feelings about Obama might be.

You're right about that, it's ridiculous that these things cost so much, but at least from what I've heard the cost to the taxpayers is less than what was for Bush's inauguration.

To the original point of the thread this is a great day for the United States no matter what anyone's personal feelings about Obama might be.

I concur it is an historic day for America and I sincerely feel joy for black america...but I would seriously question the taxpayer burden such that as security is bigger at this ceremony that any other in history. Bush's was expensive but no where near as expensive as this one. The media lambasted him for such expense at wartime. Will we hear the same criticism for this much more expensive inauguration? I think we know the answer to that one. One more things as well to all of those Obama supporters, and I have met and seen plenty of them. I hope you aren't too disappointed when your life really doesn't change the way you expect it to after today. You will still have to pay your mortgage, car loans, health care and work to earn any significant measure of income...that is if your employer can withstand the increasing tax burden he/she will surely soon face and can afford to continue to employ you and continue that evil capitalist enterprise which has provided you with the ability to support your family. Cheers!!

• Premium Member
I concur it is an historic day for America and I sincerely feel joy for black america...but I would seriously question the taxpayer burden such that as security is bigger at this ceremony that any other in history. Bush's was expensive but no where near as expensive as this one. The media lambasted him for such expense at wartime. Will we hear the same criticism for this much more expensive inauguration? I think we know the answer to that one. One more things as well to all of those Obama supporters, and I have met and seen plenty of them. I hope you aren't too disappointed when your life really doesn't change the way you expect it to after today. You will still have to pay your mortgage, car loans, health care and work to earn any significant measure of income...that is if your employer can withstand the increasing tax burden he/she will surely soon face and can afford to continue to employ you and continue that evil capitalist enterprise which has provided you with the ability to support your family. Cheers!!

As much as our lives changed over the Bush administrations 8 years, I think any change is good change... Sheez and Cheers!

I hope that the response to this new administration has a positive impact on Wall Street. I think the market is looking for something to generate some momentum and the huge response by millions has to be felt.

Re a waist of money . . . . . . send the bill to Halliburton and Chaney. They milked the tax payers for

While I don't agree that he is the right man for the job, I wish him well and concur that it is a good day for America as far as progress goes...I'm just worried about the future.

What are you worried about, that we will waste lives and countless billions on a war we shouldn't be in? Are you worried about the economy and stock market collapsing?

That has already happened.

Were you worried about the future last year or the year before or the year before that? You should have been.

• Premium Member
What are you worried about, that we will waste lives and countless billions on a war we shouldn't be in? Are you worried about the economy and stock market collapsing?

That has already happened.

Were you worried about the future last year or the year before or the year before that? You should have been.

Considering that Obama has given no indication that he'll change any of the policies that would affect the above...Yeah, I'm worried too. But I'm worried about any man that would want to be King of the biggest, richest, strongest Empire in the history of the world.

Alas...how far we've fallen from what used to be a constitutional republic. You know, a place where the legislature is more important than the judiciary or the executive. These days, our representatives are mere servants to the king. :beathorse:

I just can't get excited about any man or woman's inauguration. Pomp and circumstance are for the British...

Eddi and mrh are right that today is just another day. On the other hand, I think there is something to be said for the concept of the country trying to unite with common goals. The power of ideas is real and that moment was one of those moments that made me sit back and remember that the United States of America truly is greater than all of us and truly is the greatest nation in the world.

So yeah, nothing changed but hopefully people are willing to change and willing to be willing to help.

Edited by crimedog

the public cost not including security is about the same as it was in Bush's second inauguration.

Including security of course it is more expensive, but there are significantly more people there as well. Does anyone think that spending on security when there are millions of people congregated in such a tiny area is frivolous or unwarranted?

• Premium Member
Including security of course it is more expensive, but there are significantly more people there as well. Does anyone think that spending on security when there are millions of people congregated in such a tiny area is frivolous or unwarranted?

When they are congregated there voluntarily, yes. :grimace:

In all seriousness, the problem to me isn't so much the cost as it is the fact that millions follow the presidency with bated breath, but the legislature - the representative body that is supposed to distinguish a republic from a monarchy - is completely ignored.

We, unlike most countries, have a political legacy that is at least somewhat respectable. And that respectability comes not from the greatness of our presidents, but from our representative style of government with its innate checks and balances and our Constitution.

When millions line up to celebrate THAT, I'll celebrate too. I will NOT celebrate a president.

Edited by mrhonline

When they are congregated there voluntarily, yes. :grimace:

In all seriousness, the problem to me isn't so much the cost as it is the fact that millions follow the presidency with bated breath, but the legislature - the representative body that is supposed to distinguish a republic from a monarchy - is completely ignored.

We, unlike most countries, have a political legacy that is at least somewhat respectable. And that respectability comes not from the greatness of our presidents, but from our representative style of government with its innate checks and balances and our Constitution.

When millions line up to celebrate THAT, I'll celebrate too. I will NOT celebrate a president.

In any given day, there are more people voluntarily in Manhattan than in several states put together. Do you think that people in charge of security should then just ignore that when making plans about security and so on and spend as much guarding a rural Wyoming town as they do Manhattan? A lot more people voluntarily fly out of Atlanta than Athens, do you think they should spend the same amount of TSA resources on security in Atlanta and in Athens?

Keep in mind that I am not saying whether or not I or anyone else should celebrate this or that president. I didnt even watch the inauguration until just now and didnt really care for it.

But when you have a record number of people and a record number of high level representatives from other nations in a tiny space, I would expect the security forces to adapt and spend a record amount of resources there.

• Premium Member

I think the ones "in charge of" security should be the ones who are allowing people on their property. And those same people should be footing the bill, too.

To ask the American people as a whole to foot the bill because a smaller percentage of people (mainly east-coasters) want to go party in D.C. isn't fair or right.

Better idea - charge people enough money to attend the inauguration to cover the expenditures.

• Premium Member
Considering that Obama has given no indication that he'll change any of the policies that would affect the above...Yeah, I'm worried too. But I'm worried about any man that would want to be King of the biggest, richest, strongest Empire in the history of the world.

Alas...how far we've fallen from what used to be a constitutional republic. You know, a place where the legislature is more important than the judiciary or the executive. These days, our representatives are mere servants to the king. :beathorse:

I just can't get excited about any man or woman's inauguration. Pomp and circumstance are for the British...

First off, neter the legislature, the judiciary, or the executive branch is that much more important than the other in this country. There's a balance there that is supposed to exist. Now Bush had the House and the Senate majorities able to vote his way and in having them vote his way, look where we are.

We finally get a president in office who is willing to use whoever is best to get the job done... Just like most of us will and people are fearful and longing for more of the same separation (us vs. Them) that we have been having. Like he said today, It's time to put childish things (and childishness) away. This is a serious time and we finally have a serious president who cares about the People (more than the party). You should respect that...