• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Happy Tears Tomorrow

DJlaysitup

First off, neter the legislature, the judiciary, or the executive branch is that much more important than the other in this country. There's a balance there that is supposed to exist. Now Bush had the House and the Senate majorities able to vote his way and in having them vote his way, look where we are.

We finally get a president in office who is willing to use whoever is best to get the job done... Just like most of us will and people are fearful and longing for more of the same separation (us vs. Them) that we have been having. Like he said today, It's time to put childish things (and childishness) away. This is a serious time and we finally have a serious president who cares about the People (more than the party). You should respect that...

We'll see. I pray that he's able to turn this country around and I truly hope that you're right about him using whoever is best to get the job done, but it's far too early to know whether his words are hollow or not.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
In all seriousness, the problem to me isn't so much the cost as it is the fact that millions follow the presidency with bated breath, but the legislature - the representative body that is supposed to distinguish a republic from a monarchy - is completely ignored.

We, unlike most countries, have a political legacy that is at least somewhat respectable. And that respectability comes not from the greatness of our presidents, but from our representative style of government with its innate checks and balances and our Constitution.

When millions line up to celebrate THAT, I'll celebrate too. I will NOT celebrate a president.

What are you crying about. The President has always been the Head of State (Chief of State & Head of the government).. The Commander in Chief, the top Executive, the top federal officer... For ages... Why is it now that you want to undermine the power of the position by talking about the legislature? The legislature hasn't lost any power?? In times of crisis, nobody is waiting to hear from the legislature? When has that ever been the case? When has the legislature ever wanted that??

You're talking in circle here Mr.H.

If Tiger can hit a ball straight consistently over 350 yards, what do you do? turn the course at a right angle... make him play the short game...

Is that what this is? A popular president... bringing people together... tearing down walls of division.. what do you do? cry about him having too much power...

Ah, I see.

• Premium Member
We'll see. I pray that he's able to turn this country around and I truly hope that you're right about him using whoever is best to get the job done, but it's far too early to know whether his words are hollow or not.

Team Obama

DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE

- Retired Navy Adm. Dennis Blair is Obama's choice as the top U.S. intelligence official.

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

- Mary Schapiro, a veteran financial market regulator, is Obama's pick to head the Securities and Exchange Commission.

SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

- Rep. Ray LaHood, a Republican, has been picked for transportation secretary.

NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER

- Retired Marine Gen. James Jones, 65, the former NATO commander, was named by Obama to be his national security adviser.

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

- Current Defense Secretary Robert Gates, 65, named by President George W. Bush in late 2006, is considered a moderate voice on the Republican's national security team and embodies an important signal of continuity.

This is not the picking of a person working to please the party... There are no Michael Browns in this group...

Team Obama

DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE

- Retired Navy Adm. Dennis Blair is Obama's choice as the top U.S. intelligence official.

SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION

- Mary Schapiro, a veteran financial market regulator, is Obama's pick to head the Securities and Exchange Commission.

SECRETARY OF TRANSPORTATION

- Rep. Ray LaHood, a Republican, has been picked for transportation secretary.

NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER

- Retired Marine Gen. James Jones, 65, the former NATO commander, was named by Obama to be his national security adviser.

SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

- Current Defense Secretary Robert Gates, 65, named by President George W. Bush in late 2006, is considered a moderate voice on the Republican's national security team and embodies an important signal of continuity.

This is not the picking of a person working to please the party... There are no Michael Browns in this group...

I don't claim to know who all of these guys are and I'm sure you can find equally as impressive people to fill those roles which is why I'm hoping that he's made good decisions. As of right now these names mean nothing to me just as his words (or any other politician at this point in their term) mean nothing to me.

• Premium Member
First off, neter the legislature, the judiciary, or the executive branch is that much more important than the other in this country. There's a balance there that is supposed to exist.

No, that's not true. Jefferson didn't even want an executive branch. Smacked of a monarchy to him...

And "checks and balances" does not mean "balanced." The executive, even if weaker, requires greater checks and balances.

Now Bush had the House and the Senate majorities able to vote his way and in having them vote his way, look where we are.

You're making my point.

We finally get a president in office who is willing to use whoever is best to get the job done...

Get the job done? I would have to know what that means to argue for or against it. Seriously, are you a speech writer? That would be a great talking point...

Just like most of us will and people are fearful and longing for more of the same separation (us vs. Them) that we have been having. Like he said today, It's time to put childish things (and childishness) away. This is a serious time and we finally have a serious president who cares about the People (more than the party). You should respect that...

It's the legislature's job to "care about the people," not the president's. Obama's job is to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

• Premium Member
What are you crying about. The President has always been the Head of State (Chief of State & Head of the government).. The Commander in Chief, the top Executive, the top federal officer... For ages... Why is it now that you want to undermine the power of the position by talking about the legislature?

I want it restored to its Constitutional position of power. I don't want the President deeply involved in policy discussion or making the call of whether we go to war. I felt that way with Clinton. I felt that way with Bush. And I feel that way with Obama.

The legislature hasn't lost any power?? In times of crisis, nobody is waiting to hear from the legislature? When has that ever been the case? When has the legislature ever wanted that??

I don't know what you're saying here.

You're talking in circle here Mr.H.

If that were the case, you should understand me clearly.

f Tiger can hit a ball straight consistently over 350 yards, what do you do? turn the course at a right angle... make him play the short game...

Wow. That's...wow.

Is that what this is? A popular president... bringing people together... tearing down walls of division.. what do you do? cry about him having too much power...

Ah, I see.

Instead of having an actual argument, you make blind accusations based on poor logic. That's well...predictable.

I think the ones "in charge of" security should be the ones who are allowing people on their property. And those same people should be footing the bill, too.

To ask the American people as a whole to foot the bill because a smaller percentage of people (mainly east-coasters) want to go party in D.C. isn't fair or right.

Better idea - charge people enough money to attend the inauguration to cover the expenditures.

It's funny to see you complain about the money spent on the inauguration. Talk about misplaced indignation.

I am much more concerned about the hundreds of billions that have been spent on Iraq and the financial system as a direct result of the policies of the Bush administration. We are bailing out banks that are failing as a direct result of deregulation. Even if we do succeed in stablizing the banking system it will inevitably lead to inflation down the road.

The money spent on the inauguration is just a drop in the bucket.

SPECIAL DELIVERY: Hawks guards Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby had special shoes for the occasion, courtesy of Nike and its “Jordan Brand.” Both pairs of red, white and blue shoes were customized for each player, complete with their personal logos. The date, Jan. 20, 2009, was also included to commemorate the historical moment. “They look pretty good to me,” Johnson said before breaking into a wide smile. “Really good.

Anyone care to discuss that Benediction at the end?

Uh, I was a little disturbed in places, especially his little comment "let the white do what is right"--all I'm saying is if that comment had been reversed it'd be the focus this morning.

Anyone care to discuss that Benediction at the end?

i think it was the worst part of the entire inauguration (or maybe the Chief Justice screwing up TWICE in his SMALL role in the inauguration). President Obama should have let T.D. Jakes do it, in my opinion. Although I do understand that T.D. spoke at President Obama's church service beforehand, so maybe that would've been too much for him.

Edited by PlayaPat420

i think it was the worst part of the entire inauguration (or maybe the Chief Justice screwing up TWICE in his SMALL role in the inauguration). President Obama should have let T.D. Jakes do it, in my opinion. Although I do understand that T.D. spoke at President Obama's church service beforehand, so maybe that would've been too much for him.

In the United States, the oath of office for the President of the United States is specified in the U.S. Constitution (Article II, Section 1):

I [NAME] do solemnly swear [PAUSE] that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States [PAUSE], and will to the best of my Ability [PAUSE], preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office

Obama's Oath (Obama starts speaking after hearing his name)

Bush's Oath (notice there is no pause after the name)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Chief Justice Roberts messed up once for sure with the misplaced "faithfully" but the first mistake was when Obama started speaking too soon. That may or may not have caused Roberts to forget what he was supposed to say and although I'm sure that was pretty embarrassing for both Obama and Roberts I didn't really have an issue with it considering how nervous both of them must have been.

Certainly interesting that the guy who swore Obama in was the guy who Obama voted against back in 2005.

Uh, I was a little disturbed in places, especially his little comment "let the white do what is right"--all I'm saying is if that comment had been reversed it'd be the focus this morning.

I didn't watch it but at first I thought you were referring to Obama saying that which would have been messed up, but coming from Wright I'd expect to hear something like that. I know Wright was trying to be cute with all his race rhymes but I really don't see any reason for that to have been in there (not just the white part but all of that). If whites didn't embrace what was right (assuming Obama is what's "right") then he'd have never been elected President. It would be great if we as a nation could all leave this racist crap in the past where it belongs instead of continuing to bring attention to it.

That would actually be Joseph Lowery, MLK's old buddy, but not that it matters. I was just saying that a white guy could never ever ever get away with that comment. And I definitely agree, lets just leave all that crap in the past and move on.

That would actually be Joseph Lowery, MLK's old buddy, but not that it matters. I was just saying that a white guy could never ever ever get away with that comment. And I definitely agree, lets just leave all that crap in the past and move on.

Ah, I didn't know that. I guess that goes to show how much attention I paid to the whole thing LOL.

• Premium Member
Get the job done? I would have to know what that means to argue for or against it. Seriously, are you a speech writer? That would be a great talking point...

It's the legislature's job to "care about the people," not the president's. Obama's job is to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Who is the main benefactor of the constitution being defended? The Parties? In your circle talk, you have managed to confound yourself.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth. "

Lincoln...

"The people are the government, administering it by their agents; they are the government, the sovereign power."

Andrew Jackson

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/WEnotrich1.wav

This may not be real(supposedly it is a voicemail left at citibank by a customer late on a car loan) but there are many people out there who really think this way.

What are you trying to say? I'm assuming you are talking about the last thing she said. It seems to me that was a very distressed comment regarding the disparity of wealth and justice in America. I am far too intelligent to understand what kind of "point" you may think you are making. Therefore, I won't try. However, I would bet the amount of people that think Obama is a Muslim is 50x higher than any amount of black people that think Obama will be cutting blank checks to them. What are you trying to say, that many black people will want a handout? That is what you have just said. And so what if "lots" of people think that way?

What you just posted was borderline racist and it's really pathetic that you can't just move on. Start a new thread if you feel so inclined, but to post this in this thread is just beyond tacky.

Really, what is your point? Wait, I forgot, it's that lots of black people will want handouts.

This thread was about the positivity of the day. If you don't have enough understanding of all of the complex levels of American History and what this means, you should just keep your thoughts to yourself.

Get over it. Better yet, isn't there a Fixed News message board you could join?

Edited by TroyMcClure

Alright now let's just let this one go. Eddie you shouldn't have posted that that audio file and Troy I think you went overboard with the assumptions there based on what Eddie posted but let's just let this one go and move on before it gets out of hand.