• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OT: Michael Jackson is dead!

HawkItus

• Premium Member
Actually, I think for most people in the 30-50 range, it's an issue of love for his gift of musical talent

See, I'm just outside that age range.

I also grew up a couple hours outside of Seattle when Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. had their death-grip on the music scene for middle class white kids like myself.

The only music more reprehensible to me at that age than Michael Jackson was that of Madonna. (Maybe David Hasselholf, but he has the whole "so stupid it's cool" vibe going for him).

Hearing all these people say they loved Michael's music is as foreign to me as hearing kids say they enjoy the harmonies of the Jonas Brothers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't love Michael like some others. I think his music is fine but he isn't one of my favorite musicians or entertainers. I also think he was a megalomaniacal oddball. That being said, the fact that he paid that guy off doesn't really make me think he was guilty, just exhausted.

IF you are innocent, the only time it is ever OK to payoff an accusor is if you are a mojor corporation and the bad publicity will cost more than the actual settlement. In other words it would be a business decision. When you are being accused of the most evil thing imaginable you fight. Having to spend the rest of your life defending your payoff is much more exhausting than proving you are innocent in court and being done with it.

He payed them off hoping it would keep fans in denial of his guilt. It worked.

Come on man !

What he did to little kids is inexcusable.

Look I'm not saying I believe he did what people say he did to the kids and giving him a pass because of his legendary pop status or whatever. That would be insane. I'm saying there's enough doubt surrounding the molestation issues for me to say I'm not convinced he ever did what he was alleged to have done and for now I choose to look at his musical contributions and give the guy a break. Now if evidence surfaces in his home or somewhere which convinces me otherwise, I'll change my mind.

• Premium Member
IF you are innocent, the only time it is ever OK to payoff an accusor is if you are a mojor corporation and the bad publicity will cost more than the actual settlement. In other words it would be a business decision. When you are being accused of the most evil thing imaginable you fight. Having to spend the rest of your life defending your payoff is much more exhausting than proving you are innocent in court and being done with it.

He payed them off hoping it would keep fans in denial of his guilt. It worked.

I think MJ was a major corporation (when you really look at it). I also think that from the time he had the first allegation, his record sales dropped. I'm not saying that he was innocent, I just think that there's a lot of things that don't add up. Fist off if you were born in the 1990's... you're not idolizing MJ because his last great album was in 1991. So why would any child idolize MJ and dare want to "Sleep over". That doesn't add up.

Secondly, A jury will throw the book at any child Molester. No matter how popular. Child Molestation is something that's unforgivable.. But MJ was never convicted.

Thirdly, even in a payoff. If your child was molested would you want a payoff or would you want Justice?

Some things don't add up.

I think MJ was a guy who never had a childhood and he adored children. Come on. Neverland? I think it's possible that some people saw an opportunity to take advantage of him.

I think a key to this would be Webster, Gary Coleman, Ricardo ??, Home Alone boy, and the kid from the Pepsi commercials. These people were also some child stars who spent time with MJ. Any talk of Molestation from them?

I think MJ was a major corporation (when you really look at it).

I agree. But considering the allegation, as a corporation, it would be wiser/cheaper to prove your innocense than payoff for the long haul. Not really the smart thing to do.

I'm not saying that he was innocent, I just think that there's a lot of things that don't add up.

I agree and my initial reaction to the accusations was the belief that he himself was just a kid. Literally. I don't know 100% that he is innocent, I really don't, but like you said...things don't add up either way. With Michael how could they?

Fist off if you were born in the 1990's... you're not idolizing MJ because his last great album was in 1991. So why would any child idolize MJ and dare want to "Sleep over". That doesn't add up.

Themepark and a monkey. Unless you're saying the children never wanted to and the parents made them. I'll give you the parents were probably more starstruck than the kids. Which is why he needed the park. And monkey.

Secondly, A jury will throw the book at any child Molester. No matter how popular. Child Molestation is something that's unforgivable.. But MJ was never convicted.

Pure BS. You're telling me his lawyers knew that and still had him pay off that family? Now THAT doesn't add up. No way he has a case and still pays off the family. No way at all.

Thirdly, even in a payoff. If your child was molested would you want a payoff or would you want Justice?

You're looking at it wrong. If you were Michael would you want to be found innocent (which according to you he was or he would have been convicted) and saved millions or payoff someone and still be innocent? Doesn't add up D.

I think MJ was a guy who never had a childhood and he adored children. Come on. Neverland? I think it's possible that some people saw an opportunity to take advantage of him.

I used to think the same thing. But why didn't all of these parents take advantage of the guy? Maybe you're right and he really was living his childhood but while living that childhood there may have been some lines crossed that, given his age, should not have. Maybe he isn't what you'd call a typical child molester and some line was crossed with only that one child. I'm not sure but whatever the case I feel in my heart something went down between a grown man (age wise) and a child that shouldn't have at least once.

• Moderators

Well, for those people what is justice? If you go through with a suit you likely risk your child being branded with this for life and you run into an OJ Simpson level of legal protection. If you accept a payoff, you can use that money for therapy, etc. I can see that coming from something other than a jaded effort to exploit Jackson.

For me, I have fond memories of Jackson's music and the Thriller video was the coolest thing ever at the time. I am not a huge pop guy but those bring back some great memories for me as a youngster.

As an adult, I view Jackson as a deeply, deeply disturbed individual in so many ways. I strongly suspect he engaged in some type of inappropriate conduct with children (well -- what is undisputed strikes me as inappropriate even in the best light) but even beyond that there is so much other bizarre behavior that it is fundamentally feeling a mix of sorry for the guy (given the way he was exploited by his family and his obvious mental and social problems) and disgusted by his conduct with children - including his own where he is walking them around in masks and holding them from balconies - that I am left with. Anyway you look at it, it is a pop icon's life down the tubes.

:sad: