• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Admin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I am not saying I could never enjoy a Bay film and I hope I enjoy the second Transformers movie when I see it. I am a big not-fan of Michael Bay's and that when I see his name associated with a movie, "this movie is going to be majorly dumbed down."

I think that's why I don't really keep up with who directs what. If I see a preview I'm interested in I won't do any research at all on it and will just watch it (I really wish movie trailors wouldn't advertise with..."From the creators of blahblahblah" or "Directed by blahblahblah." I'd rather not know) I think that gives me a more open mind going into films.

Now there are a few directors I know I'm not a fan of (M. Night Shamamymovesareoverrated) and some I usually love (Cohen bros). But for the most part I try not to even care about who directed a film.

Men In Black is a comedy. Bay has just got to add cheesy music to his cheesy love angle. I'm not a rap fan, but "I don't Wanna Miss a Thing" is one of the worst songs ever by a "rock" band. No wonder Aerosmith lost c readability to most of those outside of 90's MTV fans.

Bay takes a more serious type of plot and covers it with cheese. You take a pretty serious type of subject and throw a cheesy love angle into it with the lame over dramatic song and it's just damn painful.

So I watched the movie. Action was good but the concept is so over the top. There was a ton of needless plot stuff in the movie (like all the sexy talk and such from Sam's parent's or the weed laced brownie and the aforementioned robot humping the leg). Instead of giving me what I wanted which was 2 big honking robots duking it out, I got tons of misplaced humor, misplaced romance and a room mate that tagged along and offered nearly nothing to the story. So I'm finding it hard to argue with Hot's assessments (other than I really don't wish anyone dead).

By the way, he's not the only one feeling this way. Warning if you haven't seen the movie there is some spoiler info in this link but it pretty much details the points made here. http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/smg-transf...-questions.html

Something I found interesting was a movie taboo. They tried to just generically say, "presidential orders" all through the movie but then they let slip at one point that "President Obama was being moved to an underground bunker". It's usually considered classless in a movie to cast a sitting president as a jerk but the movie does so by claiming Obama as the president in the movie and that he wants to get rid of the autobots and negotiate with the decepticons. Anyone else notice this? Not looking for a political discussion here but just commenting on how common courtesy in movies is to not diss a sitting president (outside of Michael Moore flicks that is).

On a side note of decent modern cartoons/made into movies. There is a movie coming based on the Last Airbender cartoon and it looks like it might be interesting. The trailer ran before my showing of Transformers2.

I think that's why I don't really keep up with who directs what. If I see a preview I'm interested in I won't do any research at all on it and will just watch it (I really wish movie trailors wouldn't advertise with..."From the creators of blahblahblah" or "Directed by blahblahblah." I'd rather not know) I think that gives me a more open mind going into films.

Now there are a few directors I know I'm not a fan of (M. Night Shamamymovesareoverrated) and some I usually love (Cohen bros). But for the most part I try not to even care about who directed a film.

I agree on all points in this post! I'll doubt that I'll ever watch another M. Crapathon movie ever again and I'll probably watch just about anything by the Cohen bros.

Something I found interesting was a movie taboo. They tried to just generically say, "presidential orders" all through the movie but then they let slip at one point that "President Obama was being moved to an underground bunker". It's usually considered classless in a movie to cast a sitting president as a jerk but the movie does so by claiming Obama as the president in the movie and that he wants to get rid of the autobots and negotiate with the decepticons. Anyone else notice this? Not looking for a political discussion here but just commenting on how common courtesy in movies is to not diss a sitting president (outside of Michael Moore flicks that is).

I didn't see it as that, I just saw that as them saying that he was being moved underground which is typically for protection.

And for the record without that "needless plot" would anyone have wanted to sit in a theater for 2 hours just watching CG robots fighting? Hell no that would get old quick but then again I enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies and they had "needless plot" in them as well (although the first Matrix was much much better than the following movies).

I didn't see it as that, I just saw that as them saying that he was being moved underground which is typically for protection.

And for the record without that "needless plot" would anyone have wanted to sit in a theater for 2 hours just watching CG robots fighting? Hell no that would get old quick but then again I enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies and they had "needless plot" in them as well (although the first Matrix was much much better than the following movies).

I had very little interest in seeing this movie until I heard how laughable it was, with all the plot holes and inexplicable breaches of continuity. Now I gotta see it!

• Moderators
I agree on all points in this post! I'll doubt that I'll ever watch another M. Crapathon movie ever again and I'll probably watch just about anything by the Cohen bros.

It is pretty amazing how quickly Shyamalan went downhill. The Sixth Sense was an amazing movie. Fantastic debut, IMO.

Unbreakable was very watchable, although the "twist" wasn't nearly as effective. After that, it has been one terrible movie after another with each one seeming to get worse.

You don't have to come up with a zany twist to every movie, Shyamalan, and it detracts from the twist when we know it is coming simply by the fact that you wrote/directed the movie.

This was dissappointing as well. The 2nd Matrix I thought was pretty decent but a real step down and the 3rd one was just really, really stupid.

WHAT A TWEEST! (as they said on Robot Chicken.)

M Night Shammalammadingdong is such a self-parody now.

It is pretty amazing how quickly Shyamalan went downhill. The Sixth Sense was an amazing movie. Fantastic debut, IMO.

Unbreakable was very watchable, although the "twist" wasn't nearly as effective. After that, it has been one terrible movie after another with each one seeming to get worse.

This was dissappointing as well. The 2nd Matrix I thought was pretty decent but a real step down and the 3rd one was just really, really stupid.

The Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable wasn't bad but, like you said, the rest were average at best.

I agree, they should have left on of the best movies of all time sequel-less.

The Sixth Sense was amazing and Unbreakable wasn't bad but, like you said, the rest were average at best.

I agree, they should have left on of the best movies of all time sequel-less.

The Sixth Sense:8/10

Unbreakable:7/10

Signs:7/10 (The ending nearly threatened to destroy the whole movie for me)

I've not seen the rest because I smell complete crap. I see a pattern of every movie being worse than the one before it.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Signs:7/10 (The ending nearly threatened to destroy the whole movie for me)

That was one that should have actually had a twist. I thought the ending was, as you guys have called Bay, lazy.

As for Trans. 2 I thought it was as enjoyable as the first. I liked the fact that they went into a little more detail about their past. I could have really done without the Jar Jar Binx (sp?) twins (although they had their moments). What can I say about Mrs. Fox that hasn't already been said? Also, their was another hottie in it as well. Most of the fight scenes seemed as though they were slowed down as I'm sure that was a complaint from the first one.

All-in-all it was a very entertaining movie. I understand the "flaws" of Bay's but I'm not sure I'd call this movie "lazy." Humor factor was adequate (the Mom and suitcase bot in particular) and the action was great but what really stood out (and the main reason I wouldn't use lazy as a term to describe it) was the details that went into the special effects. For example...when all of those spheres transformed into that razored edge robot it really made me think "wow" out loud.

I'll be looking forward to T3 and will expect it to be along the same lines as the first 2. I won't be too disappointed if it is.

Megan Fox calls Michael Bay out:

http://www.usmagazine.com/news/director-me...s-things-200927

Bay also says he made Cage and Will Smith famous. Will is probably more well known for Fresh Prince and Cage was in better movies and was well known before The Rock.

LOL! Didn't Bad Boys almost kill Martin? He does have a point though. No one knew who the hell she was before Transformers and let's face it, had it been a movie for "actors" she wouldn't have even been cast. Both seem a little full of themselves in that article.

• Premium Member
That was one that should have actually had a twist. I thought the ending was, as you guys have called Bay, lazy.

As for Trans. 2 I thought it was as enjoyable as the first. I liked the fact that they went into a little more detail about their past. I could have really done without the Jar Jar Binx (sp?) twins (although they had their moments). What can I say about Mrs. Fox that hasn't already been said? Also, their was another hottie in it as well. Most of the fight scenes seemed as though they were slowed down as I'm sure that was a complaint from the first one.

All-in-all it was a very entertaining movie. I understand the "flaws" of Bay's but I'm not sure I'd call this movie "lazy." Humor factor was adequate (the Mom and suitcase bot in particular) and the action was great but what really stood out (and the main reason I wouldn't use lazy as a term to describe it) was the details that went into the special effects. For example...when all of those spheres transformed into that razored edge robot it really made me think "wow" out loud.

I'll be looking forward to T3 and will expect it to be along the same lines as the first 2. I won't be too disappointed if it is.

The plot wise problem that Trans2 has is the problem that was developed by the cartoon. IN the cartoon, out of nowhere comes the "allspark". Well, a long time ago when there was a transformer movie (cartoon), there was the matrix of leadership. And long before that, there was this computer (teletran 1) that was part of the plane that crashed into the side of the mountain that made the transformers like earth vehicles. So when the cartoon people changed the plot from my generation to my sons generation, they really changed the storyline in a negative way. In the movie, you see soundwave, however, he never comes to earth. You see the need for Energun cubes but for some reason, the autobots don't need energun. Then you have the autobots being a part of a force to find decepticons. This is all different than what first started.

Bay and co. made this movie cheezy. It could have been so much stronger. The purpose of the roommate? The whole college scene? The girl who was a transformer? The best part about the movie were the decepticons. At least they did what you would expect.

The plot wise problem that Trans2 has is the problem that was developed by the cartoon. IN the cartoon, out of nowhere comes the "allspark". Well, a long time ago when there was a transformer movie (cartoon), there was the matrix of leadership. And long before that, there was this computer (teletran 1) that was part of the plane that crashed into the side of the mountain that made the transformers like earth vehicles. So when the cartoon people changed the plot from my generation to my sons generation, they really changed the storyline in a negative way. In the movie, you see soundwave, however, he never comes to earth. You see the need for Energun cubes but for some reason, the autobots don't need energun. Then you have the autobots being a part of a force to find decepticons. This is all different than what first started.

Bay and co. made this movie cheezy. It could have been so much stronger. The purpose of the roommate? The whole college scene? The girl who was a transformer? The best part about the movie were the decepticons. At least they did what you would expect.

WOW! Diesel is not only a renowned Hawks expert, he is also a Transformerologist!

• Premium Member
WOW! Diesel is not only a renowned Hawks expert, he is also a Transformerologist!

No. Actually, I watched Transformers pre-Transformers the movie... and my son has watched it 2nd generation. He has told me all the story lines. We have gone to see both movies and I see the flaw (from my perspective). He's young so he loves it and can't see why I felt that part 2 kinda sucked.

• 4 months later...