• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

favorite burger in the ATL?

drzachary

I've been burgin' a lot lately, and have been working on a list of where all the best burgers in town are. Here's my quick ranking:

1) Holeman & Finch. Without a doubt, miles above #2. This is the best burger anyone will ever eat.

2) Vortex, for attention to detail (proper cooking) and sheer variety, and good quality ingredients.

3) EARL, well-seasoned, classic burgers. Their black bean burger is also a revelation.

Honorable mentions: Ann's Snack Shack. The Wall St Journal called this the best burger in the world, but from what I've gathered, it's more about the experience and the quantity than the quality. Highlander and Brick Store have solid pub burgers.

Anyone else out there have any favorites?

I really can't stress the importance of the Holeman & Finch burger enough. It's a real eye-opener. It is Plato's archetype of a burger.

It would be nice if you could give the locations. I'm too lazy to look. lol

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ate at the Varsity next to GT on the way back from ST Louis on Saturday - it was 11:30 and on a whim - I'd never eaten there before.

I woke up Sunday morning with what felt like chest pains. That stupid chili cheese dog was sitting at the top of my ribs just under my breastbone.

I ate at the Varsity next to GT on the way back from ST Louis on Saturday - it was 11:30 and on a whim - I'd never eaten there before.

I woke up Sunday morning with what felt like chest pains. That stupid chili cheese dog was sitting at the top of my ribs just under my breastbone.

Never eaten at the Varisty? :no-no:

Nom. Can't go wrong with the Varsity, especially those onion rings.

I've been burgin' a lot lately, and have been working on a list of where all the best burgers in town are. Here's my quick ranking:

1) Holeman & Finch. Without a doubt, miles above #2. This is the best burger anyone will ever eat.

2) Vortex, for attention to detail (proper cooking) and sheer variety, and good quality ingredients.

3) EARL, well-seasoned, classic burgers. Their black bean burger is also a revelation.

Honorable mentions: Ann's Snack Shack. The Wall St Journal called this the best burger in the world, but from what I've gathered, it's more about the experience and the quantity than the quality. Highlander and Brick Store have solid pub burgers.

Anyone else out there have any favorites?

I really can't stress the importance of the Holeman & Finch burger enough. It's a real eye-opener. It is Plato's archetype of a burger.

i've been avoiding this thread since i don't live in atl anymore, but it thread keeps popping up so i had to check it out to see what's up.

i moved away around '04, maybe '05, so i'm not familiar with h&f, but your description of it has me sold. def want to check it out if/when i make it back there to visit friends.

i miss vortex (jerk burger was my fav.), and the earl (don't they have a blackened tuna steak there?) great place for some dunch. my friends husband used to tend bar there up until fairly recently i believe when they moved to st. pete, fla.

i lived part of my time there in d*ck-hater, but never really got into the brickstore. i mostly frequented twain's (which actually has pretty darn good pub food. good burgers, real good wings). played on their softball team for a couple years, too. went to trackside often too (r.i.p.), but i don't recall any food there, at least not anything worth remembering.

little off topic, but i think my favorite place to eat was la fonda latina in l5p. don't know why they closed that one, it was definately the best imo (i went to chandler park and buckhead locations, too). best food, best atmosphere, best sangria. their paella and the paella del mar was the s***. i'd order double just so i could take some home and fry it up with a couple eggs in the morning for breakfast.

little off topic, but i think my favorite place to eat was la fonda latina in l5p. don't know why they closed that one, it was definately the best imo (i went to chandler park and buckhead locations, too). best food, best atmosphere, best sangria. their paella and the paella del mar was the s***. i'd order double just so i could take some home and fry it up with a couple eggs in the morning for breakfast.

I used to live in Spain, and the paella at La Fonda tastes exactly like it does in Madrid.

Good call :beer11:

i've been avoiding this thread since i don't live in atl anymore, but it thread keeps popping up so i had to check it out to see what's up.

i moved away around '04, maybe '05, so i'm not familiar with h&f, but your description of it has me sold. def want to check it out if/when i make it back there to visit friends.

i miss vortex (jerk burger was my fav.), and the earl (don't they have a blackened tuna steak there?) great place for some dunch. my friends husband used to tend bar there up until fairly recently i believe when they moved to st. pete, fla.

i lived part of my time there in d*ck-hater, but never really got into the brickstore. i mostly frequented twain's (which actually has pretty darn good pub food. good burgers, real good wings). played on their softball team for a couple years, too. went to trackside often too (r.i.p.), but i don't recall any food there, at least not anything worth remembering.

I grew up in Candler park and La Fonda was definately one of my favorite places once it opened. My wife and I really miss it. Course, now we have to drive down from Johns Creek to get to any of the good places to eat. LOL.

I think we are going to try out the H&F place this weekend.

Here's the place I'm looking to check out very soon:

www.thecounterburger.com

You control your burger destiny with all those options...LoL!!!

Woa... check out all those sauces... Great, now I'm hungry.

Also, I want to throw Burger Joes in here. Probably not the BEST burger in Atlanta but is at least equivelant to 5 Guys if not a little better. The Caribbean Jerk burger is my favorite. Their wings are good too.

Edited by ATLSmith

Woa... check out all those sauces... Great, now I'm hungry.

Also, I want to throw Burger Joes in here. Probably not the BEST burger in Atlanta but is at least equivelant to 5 Guys if not a little better. The Caribbean Jerk burger is my favorite. Their wings are good too.

I am boycotting Burger Joe's.. I've ordered from them (delivery) twice, and each time they "forgot" about the order and called an hour later to apologize.

Oh yeah, Twain's! I like that place, especially when they have Rauchbier. It was next door to the original Wordsmiths' Books, which some good friends of mine opened. (They later moved to the square, then later closed.)

The place for glorified pub food (and a ridiculous beer list) now is the Porter in L5P.

Your paella leftovers plus eggs for breakfast idea is OUTSTANDING. I've gotta try that.

However, my paella puts most others to shame:

post-105-1247232291_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
Oh yeah, Twain's! I like that place, especially when they have Rauchbier. It was next door to the original Wordsmiths' Books, which some good friends of mine opened. (They later moved to the square, then later closed.)

The place for glorified pub food (and a ridiculous beer list) now is the Porter in L5P.

Your paella leftovers plus eggs for breakfast idea is OUTSTANDING. I've gotta try that.

However, my paella puts most others to shame:

post-105-1247232291_thumb.jpg

That is just cruel - that looks fantastic. I love paella.