• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Car

frosgrim

Well its time for me to buy a new car. My 1994 Jeep Cherokee turned 200,000 miles and everything is falling apart on it. Great vehicle while it lasted, but now is the time to get something new.

Looking to spend under 25K.

So far I really like the Ford Fusion- anyone have one?

Camery is also a very nice car

Oh, I'm looking to go up in gas milage, plus I can use that gas guzzler bill to get a $4500 dealer invoice on trade in :)

Well its time for me to buy a new car. My 1994 Jeep Cherokee turned 200,000 miles and everything is falling apart on it. Great vehicle while it lasted, but now is the time to get something new.

Oh, I'm looking to go up in gas milage, plus I can use that gas guzzler bill to get a $4500 dealer invoice on trade in :)

Ford Fusion is a pretty good car. Ford did a good job with that one. I believe they have a Hybrid version if you're interested, although it is a bit more expensive.

Um... Look at the G6. Not sure how good the gas mileage is though.

I've driven a Camery. Nothing sporty about it but it is reliable and economical. Pretty much what you expect from Toyota.

Smart man using the gas guzzler bill.

You can't go wrong with an Accord. I have an 08' coupe, and I love it. I know everyone under the sun has one, but there's a reason. My brother-in-law has a 97' with over 220,000 and it's still running nicely. No issues at all.

• Moderators

I know a lot of people have an aversion to it but for my money I'd get a Prius. There isn't another car out there that can give you what it can plus its a really nice, comfortable, roomy car. I know other cars are improving fuel economy but they are still struggling to approach 30 miles to the gallon so the savings are going to be not that noticeable. At 45-50 miles per gallon you're talking about probably going from $100/month on gas to about $30. That's major. You just gave yourself a raise.

I know a lot of people have an aversion to it but for my money I'd get a Prius. There isn't another car out there that can give you what it can plus its a really nice, comfortable, roomy car. I know other cars are improving fuel economy but they are still struggling to approach 30 miles to the gallon so the savings are going to be not that noticeable. At 45-50 miles per gallon you're talking about probably going from $100/month on gas to about $30. That's major. You just gave yourself a raise.

Or you could go with the new Jetta and get 58 miles per gallon and the reliability of a VW. Everyone I've ever met that has owned a VW has loved them and the turbocharged diesel model (TDI) that set the record with 58mpg starts at 22k.

The people want good clean diesel fun.

Volkswagen Jetta TDI® Clean Diesels run on ultra-low sulfur diesel that has 97 percent less sulfur content, radically reducing emissions. Not to mention our high-torque, high-mileage, fuel efficient TDI Clean Diesel engines use a "common rail" direct injection system to decrease over 95 percent of all sooty emissions. And don't forget, the "T" in TDI stands for turbocharged.

http://www.vw.com/jetta/highlights/en/us/#...lean-diesel-fun

The reliability of a VW.

Aahhaha.... Never thought I would see reliability and VW in the same sentence.. but yea, they have gotten much better on that front since they introduced FSI (direct port injection). The turbo diesels are a bit more reliable and you're right about the great gas mileage.

Most of their improvements came about thanks to their participation in Le Mans series racing:

V8 FSI from the Audi R8 back in 2001

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/gallery3...mp;dispsize=800

Audi R8 coming out of the S's at Road Atlanta in 2001

Audi R10 at Laguna Seca in 2006. First diesel car to win the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Amercian Le Mans seriese.

Sorry, I'll talk about cars all day if you let me...

I own a VW by the way... Fun car to drive but does have its quirks when it comes to maintenance. It is an older model though.

Aahhaha.... Never thought I would see reliability and VW in the same sentence.. but yea, they have gotten much better on that front since they introduced FSI (direct port injection). The turbo diesels are a bit more reliable and you're right about the great gas mileage.

Most of their improvements came about thanks to their participation in Le Mans series racing:

V8 FSI from the Audi R8 back in 2001

Audi R8 coming out of the S's at Road Atlanta in 2001

Audi R10 at Laguna Seca in 2006. First diesel car to win the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Amercian Le Mans seriese.

I own a VW by the way... Fun car to drive but does have its quirks when it comes to maintenance. It is an older model though.

Yep as I understand it they have been great over the past 5 years at least and they're making them very affordable now as well as being pretty innovative with features.

I'm an Acura guy myself but I definitely appreciate the new generation of VW's.

Yep as I understand it they have been great over the past 5 years at least and they're making them very affordable now as well as being pretty innovative with features.

I'm an Acura guy myself but I definitely appreciate the new generation of VW's.

The new TL's are very sharp. Big fan.

The new TL's are very sharp. Big fan.

I like everything about them except the giant gap in the grill. I have a black 07 TL and it's still my baby but there are some definite improvements in the newer model, although not enough to get me to trade mine in.

• Moderators

I have a VW GTI and its a good car but I don't think they are as reliable as a Toyota. The TDIs are great and its promising that they are making so many improvements but the 'cleaner' numbers are compared to older style of diesels. At this point Diesels still pollute more than particulates than a gas engine.

I bought a red Dodge Magnum in late December and LOVE it.

dc_08magnum_frt.jpg

08 was the last year they made it though, what a shame!

They are amazing!

If you can find one out there, I've seen some pretty good deals on low-mileage used ones.

great suggestions guys.

If I go VW it will be the Jetta wagon. I need the space (wife, 2 kids, bikes, dog). My wife had a 1990ish Golf and that was one fun car to drive. She traded it in on a Honda.

I have say that I will never willing buy a Honda for me. I really can't stand the way that car drives.

I am going to set up test drives for next week. I have dealers already coming down significantly on prices and that is before the gas guzzler trade in. I might end up shaving 8-9 k off the price of the car (4ish from the dealers and 4.5 from the program). Amazing.

I'm with you man. I have a 97 Jetta and an 84 Scirocco. The 2.0L Jetta's engine has been rock solid, but the window regulators are garbage and the molding on the doors has fallen off. I loved the way it drove and the interior when I got it though.

After 8 years of neglect, the Jetta is falling apart though because I haven't taken care of it much besides absolute necessities. I've been looking to get a 97 or 98 BMW M3 sedan as a replacement, but I have also been thinking about a VW GTI or GLI, or used Audi A3.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

I purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion SE over the weekend. Really like the car and the stuff I added to it.

2.5 ltr 175 hp engine

6-speed auto trans

Sync system

Sun roof

Power everything (seats, mirrors, windows etc)

Rear spoiler

Black

Got a very good deal (under the Edmunds True Market Value price).

Its the first sedan I've ever owned. I had my Jeep and a Subaru wagon before that, so this is a whole new driving experience.

The one thing you will love is the Service and Warranty Dept from Ford. They treat you great ! I bought from Akins Ford who has a dealership in both Winder and Athens.

1. They let me leave my car at their dealership for routine maintenance and either give me a loaner car to get back to work or they would have some one drive me to work.

2. Once my car was serviced they would have a person drive my car to my place of work and then drive the loaner car back to their lot.

There customer service cannot be topped !

A person I worked with has a new Lexus from Hennesey Lexus. He is pissed b/c he has to burn his Saturday afternoons to get his $60,000 car serviced. Mean while Ford lets me keep my Saturday afternoon's to my self with my $25,000 Mustang.

The one thing you will love is the Service and Warranty Dept from Ford. They treat you great ! I bought from Akins Ford who has a dealership in both Winder and Athens.

1. They let me leave my car at their dealership for routine maintenance and either give me a loaner car to get back to work or they would have some one drive me to work.

2. Once my car was serviced they would have a person drive my car to my place of work and then drive the loaner car back to their lot.

There customer service cannot be topped !

A person I worked with has a new Lexus from Hennesey Lexus. He is pissed b/c he has to burn his Saturday afternoons to get his $60,000 car serviced. Mean while Ford lets me keep my Saturday afternoon's to my self with my $25,000 Mustang.

If you don't mind Ford charging you $100 just to look at the car then yeah I suppose their service isn't bad. Just wait until the time comes when you have what you think might be a problem but you aren't sure and they charge you $100 service fee to fix a $10 issue. That's been my experience with every Ford dealership that I can remember which is why I bought an Acura this time. I don't pay for oil changes, they detail my car any time I want for free, I get loaner cars anytime my car is being serviced, they replaced my custom Acura chromed rims for free after hitting a bad pot hole, they have replaced the windshield for free after rock chip and crack, etc. The only thing I have paid for so far in the first 2.5 years was the 15k mile service which was about $200 and then I'm about to pay another $200 for the 30k service. I have NEVER had an even remotely close experience with an American made car dealership.

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys.

I purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion SE over the weekend. Really like the car and the stuff I added to it.

2.5 ltr 175 hp engine

6-speed auto trans

Sync system

Sun roof

Power everything (seats, mirrors, windows etc)

Rear spoiler

Black

Got a very good deal (under the Edmunds True Market Value price).

Its the first sedan I've ever owned. I had my Jeep and a Subaru wagon before that, so this is a whole new driving experience.

Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like a pretty nice car. That Sync system is a pretty nice set up that you won't be able to go without after using it for some time.

Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like a pretty nice car. That Sync system is a pretty nice set up that you won't be able to go without after using it for some time.

Yeah, I really like that feature.

The Sirius radio set up is terrific as well. No more horrid Atlanta radio (I know you're in Houston, but Alt radio is simply terrible).

The car drives a like a dream. Especially coming from a 4X4 Jeep Laredo. The Jeep was great up north in the snow, but it was too much car for down here. Plus, once the jeep turned 200k miles things started breaking at an alarming rate. Can't believe that I got to turn that thing into a $3500 trade-in (missed the 4500 by 1 MPG)

If you don't mind Ford charging you $100 just to look at the car then yeah I suppose their service isn't bad. Just wait until the time comes when you have what you think might be a problem but you aren't sure and they charge you $100 service fee to fix a $10 issue. That's been my experience with every Ford dealership that I can remember which is why I bought an Acura this time. I don't pay for oil changes, they detail my car any time I want for free, I get loaner cars anytime my car is being serviced, they replaced my custom Acura chromed rims for free after hitting a bad pot hole, they have replaced the windshield for free after rock chip and crack, etc. The only thing I have paid for so far in the first 2.5 years was the 15k mile service which was about $200 and then I'm about to pay another $200 for the 30k service. I have NEVER had an even remotely close experience with an American made car dealership.

They have never charged me a dime for any service and I got the car in July of 2006. They may charge people who have cars that are not under warranty high prices. Dealerships have the reputation of charging the highest price for repairs on autos not under warranty. Got a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. Acura probably gives a 100,000 warranty but that talk of charging $100 to inspect the car and $200 for warranty service issues could not be farther from the truth with my own expierences dating back to 2006. Before that I had a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport where I was not nickled and dimed either with $200 service charge for service supposedly covered under a warranty or a $100 inspection charge.

Maybe service is better in small towns.............I don't know, but as I long as they continue to treat me well they have a repeat customer for life.

Same with Samsung and how they replaced a 42'' with a 50''. I know you don't like them b/c of your expierence with Korean tech products, but their customer service is outstanding.

My 15k and 36 K servicing were totally free and included under warranty. No $200 charge for the 15K and 36 K checkup. I got a free brake job and free set of tires included in the warranty too. Every 3,000 mile oil change comes with a tire rotation and balance as well as the usual 6 point inspection. Now I doubt they would replace a cracked windshield since I have never seen glass breakage covered under a Ford auto warranty. That is what insurance is for. The fact they replaced your rim is pretty sweet too. I know that Ford would not have covered that but insurance would have.

Edited by coachx