• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Personal Computers

AHF

• Moderators

Our desktop PC died during our somewhat recent move. We would like to replace it and to take the harddrive from the old computer and install it in the new one to be able to transfer pictures and other valuable content. (I plan to dump the key files onto the new hard drive and then reformat the old one). The computer isn't used for too much - it will be primarily used for web browsing, storing files, and for school work for our (young) son. Any recommendations on best bang for your buck? We don't want to spend a lot if it can be helped and will probably just use the old monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc. so the key is the actual desktop machine. Thanks for any ideas/insight on best value brands, configurations, and/or websites for deals!

Our desktop PC died during our somewhat recent move. We would like to replace it and to take the harddrive from the old computer and install it in the new one to be able to transfer pictures and other valuable content. (I plan to dump the key files onto the new hard drive and then reformat the old one). The computer isn't used for too much - it will be primarily used for web browsing, storing files, and for school work for our (young) son. Any recommendations on best bang for your buck? We don't want to spend a lot if it can be helped and will probably just use the old monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc. so the key is the actual desktop machine. Thanks for any ideas/insight on best value brands, configurations, and/or websites for deals!

HP or Asus (I think) is the two I hear good things about.

Our desktop PC died during our somewhat recent move. We would like to replace it and to take the harddrive from the old computer and install it in the new one to be able to transfer pictures and other valuable content. (I plan to dump the key files onto the new hard drive and then reformat the old one). The computer isn't used for too much - it will be primarily used for web browsing, storing files, and for school work for our (young) son. Any recommendations on best bang for your buck? We don't want to spend a lot if it can b helped and will probably just use the old monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc. so the key is the actual desktop machine. Thanks for any ideas/insight on best value brands, configurations, and/or websites for deals!

One of my favorite sites on the internet is slickdeals.net

Check there daily for al kinds of deals and ratings from people on how good or bad the deal is. You should be able to get a decent desktop for 300. If you don't mind ubuntu linux instead of windows, you can go even cheaper. But one thing, I suggest geting a new pc with vista on it and you should get a coupon for a free windows 7 upgrade. Windows 7 is widely viewed as Microsofts best operating system to date.

You can't go wrong with an HP. Had mine for two and a half years now and it's still as strong as the ones being released today. It's an HP a6130n. I bought just the unit tohugh, no monitor. It came with a mouse and a keyboard (that I had to replace because they broke). You can always upgrade your HP also. It's easy to open up.

• Moderators

One of my favorite sites on the internet is slickdeals.net

Check there daily for al kinds of deals and ratings from people on how good or bad the deal is. You should be able to get a decent desktop for 300. If you don't mind ubuntu linux instead of windows, you can go even cheaper. But one thing, I suggest geting a new pc with vista on it and you should get a coupon for a free windows 7 upgrade. Windows 7 is widely viewed as Microsofts best operating system to date.

I'll check it out!

Any thoughts on Windows 7 from others? I am a bit scared from all the Vista fallout but at some point will need to move beyond old Windows operating systems.

• Moderators

Here is a package I pulled up off from a line on the slickdeals website to the HP website...does this seem like a good deal?

Your running total

Price $653.97*

Instant rebate

-$105.20

Mail-in rebate

-$70.00

Total:

$478.77

You saved

26.8%

Your p6120t series

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5200 [2.5GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB] edit

Memory 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] edit

Hard drive FREE UPGRADE! 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive edit

Graphics card 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] edit

Primary optical drive LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive edit

Networking Wireless-G LAN card edit

Front Productivity Ports 2 USB, front audio ports edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports edit

Speakers 20% OFF! HP USB 2.0 stereo speakers edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse edit

Productivity software Microsoft® Works 9.0 edit

Security software No additional security software edit

DVD/CD burner, movie software SAVE $30! Upgrade to Cyberlink DVD Suite Premium -- Special Deal edit

Your additional options:

Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.

HP printers and All-in-ones FREE DESKJET D4360 PRINTER edit

Cables & power HP 16` Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable edit

I imagine this PC being used primarily for word processing, web browsing, light gaming, iTunes, and managing pictures (and likely home videos down the line). Nearly $500 is more than I had hoped to spend but the upgrades from the base model individually seemed like good value - although I am not sure whether something like the movie editing software will really be necessary or if that will come with a digital video recorder.

Also, the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows Vista versions are priced the same. Is one recommended over the other?

Edited by AHF

• Admin

Computers are computers, as long as it has the specs you're looking for (storage, cpu, video card, etc) they're all pretty much the same. Just get what you can find a good deal on. I suggest checking the weekly ads.

Only key difference in 32 adn 64 bit Windows is how much ram one can use. 32bit can only use 3.5 gb of ram, 64bit can use much much more than that. 64bit is compatible with "most" 32-bit software, so there should be few compatibility issues.

Windows 7 is nice. I've been using it for many months now and will reinstall with the final version in about a week or so. It is essential Vista with lots of user interface tweaks, performance enhancements and usability adjustments. The myth that Vista was some unreliable operating system is just that, a myth.

Windows has a built in movie editing software, it's very basic but it works. You can also get Windows live essentials which has an improved picture and video editing package with it.

Here is a package I pulled up off from a line on the slickdeals website to the HP website...does this seem like a good deal?

Your running total

Price $653.97*

Instant rebate

-$105.20

Mail-in rebate

-$70.00

Total:

$478.77

You saved

26.8%

Your p6120t series

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5200 [2.5GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB] edit

Memory 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs] edit

Hard drive FREE UPGRADE! 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive edit

Graphics card 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter] edit

Primary optical drive LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive edit

Networking Wireless-G LAN card edit

Front Productivity Ports 2 USB, front audio ports edit

Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports edit

Speakers 20% OFF! HP USB 2.0 stereo speakers edit

Keyboard and Mouse HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse edit

Productivity software Microsoft® Works 9.0 edit

Security software No additional security software edit

DVD/CD burner, movie software SAVE $30! Upgrade to Cyberlink DVD Suite Premium -- Special Deal edit

Your additional options:

Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.

HP printers and All-in-ones FREE DESKJET D4360 PRINTER edit

Cables & power HP 16` Snagless Ethernet Patch Cable edit

I imagine this PC being used primarily for word processing, web browsing, light gaming, iTunes, and managing pictures (and likely home videos down the line). Nearly $500 is more than I had hoped to spend but the upgrades from the base model individually seemed like good value - although I am not sure whether something like the movie editing software will really be necessary or if that will come with a digital video recorder.

Also, the 32 bit and 64 bit Windows Vista versions are priced the same. Is one recommended over the other?

That's not a terrible price but if you have some more time to shop, you could probably do a little better in terms of price. One thing about that setup I personally don't like is the processor. The core 2's are pretty much the low-end standard for a decent pc that you may do some gaming on. Other than that, the dual core's are fine for what it sounds like you need it for but I would much rather get a core 2 at least for the potential gaming you may do.

Thanks for the input, chillzatl and Eddielives! I will keep looking around on this one...

Keep us updated. My wife's laptop just "died" last night. I think it might just be the screen (but it could be the vid card), but if not, we are looking at getting something new.

Keep us updated. My wife's laptop just "died" last night. I think it might just be the screen (but it could be the vid card), but if not, we are looking at getting something new.

Check the Dell Outlet, you can get amazing deals and some of the computers were never used, just ordered and not sent out. Granted you can't customize them but you should easily be able to find a computer that meets your needs for much less than a brand new computer.

If you want to check it out then go here: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Then "filter" the results by only showing the "previously ordered new" models. They have 200+ laptops right now that are between $500 - $1000 that have never been used.

• Moderators

I am hearing from some people to avoid Dells because they use proprietary chinese parts as opposed to something like HP that lets you do more to customize. Is the Dell brand a good one, fine, one to avoid....? Thanks.

I am hearing from some people to avoid Dells because they use proprietary chinese parts as opposed to something like HP that lets you do more to customize. Is the Dell brand a good one, fine, one to avoid....? Thanks.

What are you wanting to change? You won't have any problem changing hard drives, RAM, anything that goes in a PCI slot, etc. If you have questions about Dell computers ask Chillz since he's extremely knowledgeable about them. I use them exclusively at home and at work and they work beautifully.

• Moderators

What are you wanting to change? You won't have any problem changing hard drives, RAM, anything that goes in a PCI slot, etc. If you have questions about Dell computers ask Chillz since he's extremely knowledgeable about them. I use them exclusively at home and at work and they work beautifully.

That is what I really needed to know about them. Basically, I am hearing from some people that Dell uses cheap chinese parts in their computers and to avoid them.

That is what I really needed to know about them. Basically, I am hearing from some people that Dell uses cheap chinese parts in their computers and to avoid them.

I have never heard that and Dell computers have worked fine for me for a number of years. Like I said though you can replace parts in them just as you could any other pre-built computer.

And ask yourself this, if they used cheap Chinese parts do you think that so many businesses would use them?

I agree wth Dolfan here AHF. There's nothing wrong with Dell computers. Now there customer service is a crapshoot but if you keep a security suite updated on your machine, that will prevent most major problems. Anything else, you can just replace if it craps out. Just another note here for anybody using computers. I think it is a wise investment to buy an external hard drive to do backups on. Hard drives just go bad sometimes and usually people decide to backup their stuff too late.

And ask yourself this, if they used cheap Chinese parts do you think that so many businesses would use them?

The number one selling car in america was a Ford Focus for many years. I'm just sayin.

I may have a skewed view on Dell's but I've seen way too many issues with them. The car reference is a good one though because, just like buying a car, it's going to be a crapshoot. Dell absolutely buys the cheapest parts they can find and will switch contracts on a whim. Maybe that is standard practice for computer

companies, I don't know but I do know Dell does this.

Edited by Dsinner

Check the Dell Outlet, you can get amazing deals and some of the computers were never used, just ordered and not sent out. Granted you can't customize them but you should easily be able to find a computer that meets your needs for much less than a brand new computer.

If you want to check it out then go here: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

Then "filter" the results by only showing the "previously ordered new" models. They have 200+ laptops right now that are between $500 - $1000 that have never been used.

Great, we'll definately check that out.

For those against Dell, I have used them nearly exclusively since 97. I have no real complaints about them at all. The wif'e's computer is a well used, 4 year old lap top, so I am not surprised it died.

I think the confusion about parts comes from the two lines that Dell builds. There are the cheaper version and the "upper" end. The cheaper ones do use low-cost parts, while the upper level use higher quality. As with most things, spending a little more can equate to greater quality (but not always).

• Admin

They all use the same parts. Dell's are as well built and as reliable, sometimes more reliable, than anything you can buy. Even the Home/student line (Dimension desktops and Inspiron laptops) still use name brand parts. The same ones you would be buying if you went to Best Buy or any similar place. I've worked on thousands of Dell systems over the years, both servers and workstations, and I've never seen a part in one that didn't have a name on it that I didn't recognize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Does this refurbished for $379 seem like a good deal? Buy.com indicates it is 57% off the new price.

HP Pavilion a6724c Desktop, Phenom-8550 (T) 2.2 GHz, 6 GB, 640 GB, DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive, GeForce 9100, HD audio,Keyboard & mouse-Refurb

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01642421&lc=en&dlc=no&cc=no&product=3887522&lang=no

Product number

NC818AA

Introduction date

19-Dec-2008

Country/region sold in:

Canada

Bundle information

The a6724c-b desktop PC bundle (part number NC819AA) includes:

* a6724c Desktop PC, part number NC818AA

* w2207h 22" lcd wide-screen monitor with integrated speakers

Hardware

Base processor

Phenom-8550 (T) 2.2 GHz (95W)

3600 MHz HyperTransport 3.0

Socket AM2+

Chipset

GeForce 9100

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Pegatron

Motherboard Name: M2N78-LA

HP/Compaq motherboard name: Violet-GL8E

Power supply

300W

Memory

Component Attributes

Memory Installed 6 GB

Maximum allowed 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)

4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

*Actual available memory may be less

Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec

Type 240 pin, DDR2

Hard drive

640 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)

7200 rpm

DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive

* Must use Double-Layer media discs in order to take advantage of the DL technology

* Must use LightScribe-enabled media discs and supporting software in order to take advantage of the LightScribe technology

Function Maximum speed

DVD-RAM Up to 12X

DVD-R DL Write Once Up to 12X

DVD+R DL Write Once Up to 12X

DVD+R Write Once Up to 16X

DVD+RW Rewritable Up to 8X

DVD-R Write Once Up to 16X

DVD-RW Rewritable Up to 6X

DVD ROM Read Up to 16X

CD-R Write Once Up to 40X

CD-RW Rewritable Up to 32X

CD-ROM Read Up to 40X

Modem

PCIe internal modem

Video Graphics

Integrated on motherboard (see motherboard and chipset)

Sound/Audio

High Definition 8-channel audio

* ALC 888S chipset

Network (LAN)

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Memory card reader

* Supports the following cards:

o Compact Flash I

o Compact Flash II

o IBM Microdrive

o Secure Digital (SD)

o mini-SD

o MultiMediaCard (MMC)

o Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)

o MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)

o MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)

o Memory Stick

o Memory Stick Pro

o Memory Stick Duo

o Memory Stick Pro Duo

o SmartMedia

o xD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports

I/O ports on the front panel

Port type Quantity

15-in-1 (4 slot) One

1394 One

USB Two

Headphone One

Microphone One

I/O ports on the back panel

Port type Quantity

PS/2 (keyboard, mouse) Two

S/PDIF out (coaxial) One

VGA One

DVI One

USB Four

1394a One

LAN One

Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center/subwoofer-out , line-in, line-out, microphone) One Each

Expansion slots

Slot type Quantity

PCI Express x16 One (One available)

PCI Express x1 Three (Two available)

Drive bays

Bay type Quantity

5.25" Two (One available)

3.5" Three (Two available)

Keyboard and mouse

HP multimedia keyboard

Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)

HP PS/2 optical mouse

Software

NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

Software titles that shipped with PC Software Category Software Title

Operating System

* Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center (64-bit) with Vista Service Pack 1

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW

* MediaSmart DVD

* Windows Movie Maker & Windows DVD Maker

* CyberLink DVD Suite 6

* LightScribe Template Labeler

Entertainment, Music & Games

* My HP Games

* HP MediaSmart Software Suite

Imaging, Photography, Video & Film

* Muvee Reveal Basic

Productivity

* Microsoft Works 9

* Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 Trial

Security

* Norton Internet Security 2009 (60-day security update subscription)

Support

* HP Total Care Advisor

* HP Hardware Diagnostic Tools

* Help & Support Center

* Online documentation

Recovery

* HP Recovery Manager

Internet Solutions

* Microsoft Internet Explorer

* ISP offers