I believe that almost every player in the game is lower than they were last year which is a good thing because the ratings were way too high last year. This gives the ability to have truly elite players in the 90's, guys like Tom Brady and Adreian Peterson. Maybe the Falcons O-line is too low although 4 of the 5 starters are 77 or better which isn't bad but I honestly can't say since I don't even know who some of the Falcons linemen are.

If every player is lower than last year shouldn't that average out and lead to the same gameplay? What's the difference in a 90 WR going against an 85 DB (last year) vs an 85 reciever going against an 80 DB (this year)? Or are you saying star players aren't rated as high?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If every player is lower than last year shouldn't that average out and lead to the same gameplay? What's the difference in a 90 WR going against an 85 DB (last year) vs an 85 reciever going against an 80 DB (this year)? Or are you saying star players aren't rated as high?

Most players are rated lower but you still have guys like Adreian Peterson who is a 97, Tom Brady at 97 and Randy Moss at 96 which is good since those are truly elite players and by lowering the ratings of non-elite players it helps to create some separation.

I don't have last years ratings to compare those guys to see where they were last year but I'd imagine right around the same. The difference is that unlike last year there seem to be a lot fewer 90+ rated players.

In theory there should be more dropped balls and errors in play.

A guy with 80 catching will drop the ball more then a guy with 85 catching. A LB with 80 tackling will be run through more then a guy with 85 tackling.

It will probably make the stars even more dominant since the role players are rated with less attributes.

In theory there should be more dropped balls and errors in play.

A guy with 80 catching will drop the ball more then a guy with 85 catching. A LB with 80 tackling will be run through more then a guy with 85 tackling.

It will probably make the stars even more dominant since the role players are rated with less attributes.

Yep that's what I think as well.

As an aside I played the Colts my 2nd game and they were much easier to stop running than the Falcons were and Manning picked me apart a lot easier than Ryan did although I sacked Manning twice and didn't sack Ryan at all. The only real weakness I saw with the Falcons was their special teams play.

Yep that's what I think as well.

As an aside I played the Colts my 2nd game and they were much easier to stop running than the Falcons were and Manning picked me apart a lot easier than Ryan did although I sacked Manning twice and didn't sack Ryan at all. The only real weakness I saw with the Falcons was their special teams play.

We had the best ST defense in the league last year. :(

We had the best ST defense in the league last year. :(

After playing 6 regular season games now I can say it's not the Falcons, it's an area of the game that went from being too difficult to being too easy as I now have 4 total kickoff return for TD's with Tedd Ginn and I had another in the pre-season with my backup returner who isn't anywhere near as talented as Ginn.

Another annoyance is that QB's get "hit" too often which creates wobbly duck throws. I know that happens in the real game but I think it happens too much in this game.

The emphasis this year is VERY much on the QB staying in the pocket and the lineman actually do a great job of creating a pocket for you so unless you've got Mike Vick you should definitely stay in the pocket to throw the ball otherwise the defense will get to you a lot quicker.

One thing I will say that makes a HUGE difference in the gameplay is to adjust the game speed slider down to about 25/100 from the default 50/100 as it creates a pretty realistic difference in speed between the elite players and the slow players.

Oh yeah and another thing that is apparently in the game (but I haven't tried yet) is that you can play as a superstar choosing from 150 former (I think it's only former players) great players ... like Barry Sanders!!! I just read an ESPN interview he did for it and of course he has the best ratings of any RB in the game with a 99 across the board and I think they said a 100 for agility. I can't wait to try out a game with him at RB. I think that since you're playing as the superstar it's just like if you created a character and got him drafted and you only played that position instead of the whole team too which I think would be neat.

After almost a week with this game I gotta say that I'm still loving it and I think that this game is grounded enough in the fundamentals to keep it interesting for quite a while without losing in interest in it after a week like the previous few years have been.

Free agent list for those interested:

http://madden.nfl.com/ratings/team/free_agents?con=ng

They give newly signed Falcons reciever, Marty Booker, a 71. He will add some nice depth to the recieving core. The speed of Douglas will be missed but at least Booker should have steady hands and they make him a half a step quicker then Finneran.

There are also some upgrades in free agency at CB, ROLB, and SS to fill out the defense for the guys who like to play in Franshise Mode. We know Mike Smith will have the guys on defense playing above their Madden ratings.

1.) They give the Facons starting ROLB a 59 rating, (Wire), so that has to be addressed. Even though Wire out played Boley last year they give him no credit. So sign Derrick Brooks in the free agent list. They give him a 77 and that should equal Wire's true rating. Or take Tianemosa (Sp ?) who is only a 71 but has tons of speed. We know this Falcons defense will be much faster then last year.

2.) Our CBs are rated like crap so you can sign Bly (77) or McCallister (86).........or both ! I'll probably just take Bly to keep our secondary quality fairly realistic.

3. They rate both Moore and Coleman at FS and give DeCoude nothing as a SS............so you would need to sign a SS to really asseble a complete roster of true starter caliber players based on how Madden rates them. Maybe M. Brown, who they rate as a 72 fits in here. Brown is no savior but at least he is a step above the "scrub" level.

Well I got my blue print down for franchise mode...........now just waitng to get my hands on the game !

Edited by coachx

Free agent list for those interested:

http://madden.nfl.co...e_agents?con=ng

They give newly signed Falcons reciever, Marty Booker, a 71. He will add some nice depth the recieving core.

There are also some upgrades in free agency at CB, ROLB, and SS to fill out the defense for the guys who like to play in Franshise Mode.

1.) They give the Facons starting ROLB a 59 rating, (Wire), so that has to be addressed. Even though Wire out played Boley last year they give him no credit. So sign Derrick Brooks in the free agent list.

2.) Our CBs are rated like crap so you can sign Bly (77) or McCallister (86).........or both ! I'll probably just take Bly to keep our secondary quality realistic.

They rate both Moore and Coleman at FS and give DeCoude nothing as a SS............so you would need to sign a SS to really asseble a complete roster of true starter caliber players based how Madden rates them. Maybe M. Brown who they rate as a 72 fits in here.

Well I got my blue print down for franchise mode...........now just waitng to get my hands on the game !

How much money under the cap are the Falcons? I know the Dolphins were only like 10 million under but I was able to address our primary weakness which was to sign Plaxico Burress for about 6 million.

That guy Wire might be rated low but he sacked me twice and was all over the place in that game.

There are a ton of FA's to sign that can fill whatever holes you have as long as you have the cap space.

How much money under the cap are the Falcons? I know the Dolphins were only like 10 million under but I was able to address our primary weakness which was to sign Plaxico Burress for about 6 million.

That guy Wire might be rated low but he sacked me twice and was all over the place in that game.

There are a ton of FA's to sign that can fill whatever holes you have as long as you have the cap space.

Good question.

Hopefuly enough to sign some average veterans to one year deals.

I think Dimitroff has kept us in pretty good shape cap wise. For some reason I think they have around $8 - $10 mill under the cap.

Kinda OT but Dolfan you say you are a Dolphins fan right? Well check out your fight song Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah I know they asked him to keep it with the same lyrics and all that ... it's just awful though. I'd rather have T-Pac with "Can't C Me" be our fight song since it works so well with Madden 10

Ok...I played Madden 10. I have to admit it is a fun game, but it does have some of the same problems it's had for the past 2 years. First, like someone else said, leading your receivers on throws seems too unnatural. I can't seem to get it right. Second, I almost broke the controller when I got a first down, but they measured it and determined that it wasn't a fourth down. I, for whatever reason (it wasn't under 2 minutes and I had timeouts), couldn't challenge it. The ratings didn't effect the game that much. The Dolphins played like the dolphins, and the Falcons played like the Falcons. One thing that's become even harder is getting an open field tackle. Another thing I don't like is how the computer can break a million tackles, but Michael Turner wont even truck a DB. I remember some RB breaking 3 tackles in the backfield getting around the corner and breaking 2 more. Also Wes Welker breaks tackles like a RB, too. Other than that, the game is pretty damn good.

Ok...I played Madden 10. I have to admit it is a fun game, but it does have some of the same problems it's had for the past 2 years. First, like someone else said, leading your receivers on throws seems too unnatural. I can't seem to get it right. Second, I almost broke the controller when I got a first down, but they measured it and determined that it wasn't a fourth down. I, for whatever reason (it wasn't under 2 minutes and I had timeouts), couldn't challenge it. The ratings didn't effect the game that much. The Dolphins played like the dolphins, and the Falcons played like the Falcons. One thing that's become even harder is getting an open field tackle. Another thing I don't like is how the computer can break a million tackles, but Michael Turner wont even truck a DB. I remember some RB breaking 3 tackles in the backfield getting around the corner and breaking 2 more. Also Wes Welker breaks tackles like a RB, too. Other than that, the game is pretty damn good.

They really changed the QB system in this game with leading receivers. If the QB can't throw the ball down the field accurately in the NFL he won't be able to do it in Madden very often. If the QB can't throw on the run in the NFL he won't be able to do it in Madden. Last year you could easily lead WRs but I've found myself greatly overthrowing WRs trying to lead them because I use Chad Henne and he's rated fairly low.

I also experienced the "not being able to challenge" thing for the first time yesterday and man it pissed me off. I assume that it's a bug that they'll have a patch for though.

As far as trucking DBs, breaking tackles, and tackling, you'll get used to it. I have had some big runs with Ronnie Brown where I have broken tackles in the backfield and run DB's over after about 10 yards of steam behind me. Just give it some time this is a completely new system and I think once you get used to it you'll really like it.

One complaint that I still have about Madden (and most sports games) is not being able to save a game while you're playing it just in case of a crash. I was in the 4th quarter up 7 in New England and on my way to an important win and I got a "disc unreadable" error and ended up having to replay the game all over once I cooled off enough to come back and play later that night and of course I lost by 7! How freaking difficult must it be to allow you to save a game or have it auto-save at halftime/end of quarters or something?

Glad that you like the game though!

I just got back into town last night and was able to play Madden for 1 game with the Falcons in Franchise Mode.

I was thrilled the link to the roster ratings had a typo involving Harvey Dahl.........instead of a 76 he is rated a 86. That makes the Falcons O-Line look much more realistic with 3 solid "B" starters.

I found it much easier to throw the ball but much harder to run the ball then in previous years. The spin move seems useless this year but I do like the realism of how players slow down before making cuts. I am having the same problem with breaking tackles that eazyrock brought up. I just quit running b/c it was so easy to pass. I probably need to tweak the settings a bit.

I moved Moore from FS to SS to strengthen the Falcons secondary and signed McCallister to give them decent, but far from good, secondary.

I beat the Dolphins in 38 to 24 in a shootout with 8 minute quarters. Both White and Gonzalez broke 100 yards. Gonzalez had 2 TD's, White had 1 TD, Jenkins had 1 TD, and Turner had 1. Matt Ryan had pin poiont accuracy..........I can only imagine how good Manning and Brady are in this game. Turner only had 65 yards on 17 carries.

I looking foward to playing a stout secondary to see how much harder it gets to pass the ball.

Edited by coachx

I also forgot to say this, but Tony Gonzalez is ridiculously good in Madden too. He caught like 3 jumping catches, got hit while in the air, and still came down with the ball. I'll tell you right now, Tom Brady is going to get on your nerves. Just like in real life, if you blitz him, he'll pick you apart. If you zone him, he'll pick you apart. Your best bet is to get some pressure from the front 4. Luckily for me, Trey Lewis and (believe it or not) Jamaal Andersen had big games. They both had 2 sacks when I played the patriots.

I found this very interesting from a Madden 10 "designer:"

http://insideblog.easports.com/archive/2009/02/09/madden-nfl-10-player-ratings-a-new-philosophy-a-new-era.aspx

Madden NFL 10 Player Ratings – A New Philosophy, a New Era

Posted On: Feb. 9, 2009 3:03 PM EST By: raczilla 329 Comments

Hey guys, we thought it would be a perfect time to share something that I am personally very excited about for Madden NFL 10. We took each and every rating in the game (over 50+ player ratings) and scaled them up/down in a way that is now using much more of the scale. I like to describe it around the office like this…”We basically stretched out the ratings.” We want to use more of the numbers so we get a bigger, more noticeable affect in the game.

Let me give you guys an example….in Madden NFL 09 all of the WR’s Route Running ratings ranged from 62-99. In the current Madden NFL 10 build, WR’s now check in from 35-99. To counter this on the defensive side, all CB’s in Madden NFL 09 had a Man Coverage rating which ranged from 64-99. Now in Madden NFL 10, CB’s Man Coverage range is currently 40-99.

Every position and every rating has been re-scaled to expand the range of numbers we are dealing with. The Overall Rating for your average NFL player has dropped. Your Joe Average linebacker who was 80 OVR is now dropped down to 70. The players who were before right on the cusp of 90 in a rating category are now down around 85-88…Meaning, there are fewer superstar players out there. Before, where you could maybe get by throwing to your slot WR who had 93 SPD, with 74 ROUTES, and 77 Catching…now in Madden NFL 10, that guy is going to have like 91 SPD, 60-65 ROUTES and anywhere from 65-70 Catching. Let me tell you, these rating drops make a big difference when that slot rookie WR with 90+ speed now drops every 3rd pass or so, or just simply cannot get open.

The superstars have not been affected however, this is intentional. Peyton is still 99 OVR, Patrick Willis a 99, Larry Fitz is 99, etc. The elite players at rating categories have not been affected either (JaMarcus Russell still has a 98 Throw Power and Chris Johnson still rated 99 Speed). [side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

Speaking of the Speed, which is always a hot topic, we made some major changes with the infamous SPD rating as well. To give you a great example, I will again go back to WR and CB. In Madden NFL 09, the WR SPD range was 85-100…CB was 87-99.

In Madden NFL 10, WR SPD range is currently 70-100…CB is currently 75-99. So as you may or may not tell, the SPD range has been pushed down, in our opinions, to better reflect the “sim-gameplay” style that Ian and Phil have been telling you about all winter long. This SPD change has been updated for each position, so it makes a huge game play affect.

Ian and I had a game the other day where Earnest Graham broke one up the middle for a 55 yard touchdown run… and he could not be caught!…E-Grahams’ Madden NFL 10 current SPD rating….80 SPD. That should give you a good sense of what is possible with the new ratings. It’s not all about having the 90+ SPD anymore. On this particular run, Ian’s CB’s got hung up against some blockers and all I had to do was beat one safety and Graham was gone! He had Brandon Jacobs and his 85 SPD breaking some long runs as well. On the flip side of bigger/slower backs, Chris Johnson is absolutely lethal right now. You can actually get him outside with sweeps now and he is a beast to stop. But again, we are constantly tuning the gameplay, we have an entire team dedicated to that and they are some of the best people we have in the building.

So there you have it, player ratings are in for a major overhaul this year and I am really excited already with the impact they are having on the early builds of the game. And rest assured, we are well aware of the outside impacts this will have….Rookies will now come into the league based on the new ranges, NCAA Import guys are being tuned as well…Progression has been accounted for as well to better reflect breakout stars and burned-out former stars. Meaning, we want to have bigger jumps in OVR this year, both positive and negative. That’s all for now, probably gave away too much already!

Would love to hear any feedback about this big new change in the way we do player ratings. I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding the new rating ranges….please no individual ratings questions, not answering those! Stay tuned for more Madden player rating related blogs in the future!

- Donny Moore – Madden NFL 10 Designer

I also forgot to say this, but Tony Gonzalez is ridiculously good in Madden too. He caught like 3 jumping catches, got hit while in the air, and still came down with the ball. I'll tell you right now, Tom Brady is going to get on your nerves. Just like in real life, if you blitz him, he'll pick you apart. If you zone him, he'll pick you apart. Your best bet is to get some pressure from the front 4. Luckily for me, Trey Lewis and (believe it or not) Jamaal Andersen had big games. They both had 2 sacks when I played the patriots.

Tony G is a beast..............you are absolutely right. With him and White you can basically just throw to whichever guy the safety does not double team for a high percentage completion..................Douglas and Jenkins are not too shabby either. If a defense tries to zone you they are even easier to pick a part.

Did you start Trey Lewis or sub him in ?

I have not found out how to sub in lineman or linebackers without continuely changing the depth chart. I singed Derrick Brooks to my team but his is alwayse tired and a pain to sub out continuely. However, his 98 Awareness rating makes him very solid when he is fresh. In last year's game you were able to sub out players, in a given formation, without calling a time out or going to you depth chart. Can you do this in the 2010 version ?

Tony G is a beast..............you are absolutely right. With him and White you can basically just throw to whichever guy the safety does not double team for a high percentage completion..................Douglas and Jenkins are not too shabby either. If a defense tries to zone you they are even easier to pick a part.

Did you start Trey Lewis or sub him in ?

I have not found out how to sub in lineman or linebackers without continuely changing the depth chart. I singed Derrick Brooks to my team but his is alwayse tired and a pain to sub out continuely. However, his 98 Awareness rating makes him very solid when he is fresh. In last year's game you were able to sub out players, in a given formation, without calling a time out or going to you depth chart. Can you do this in the 2010 version ?

I haven't figured out how to do it yet but I'd like to find out. I'd LOVE to be able to figure out how to get Pat White into the Dolphins Wildcat formation but it will only let me choose from RB's.

I haven't figured out how to do it yet but I'd like to find out. I'd LOVE to be able to figure out how to get Pat White into the Dolphins Wildcat formation but it will only let me choose from RB's.

I just found out the "R button" will allow you to sub in players in between plays. I can't remember if that is the same button we used to do this in last years game.

Not sure if it will allow you to sub in a RB for a QB.............but considering the Dolphins run the "Wild Cat" every game you would think they would have "Wild Cat" plays in the playbook where Brown or Williams play the "Wild Cat" QB/RB role.

I just found out the "R button" will allow you to sub in players in between plays. I can't remember if that is the same button we used to do this in last years game.

Not sure if it will allow you to sub in a RB for a QB.............but considering the Dolphins run the "Wild Cat" every game you would think they would have "Wild Cat" plays in the playbook where Brown or Williams play the "Wild Cat" QB/RB role.

Which one is the "R" button"? I'm guessing that's a PS3 button?

The Dolphins do have quite a few Wildcat plays and they have Ronnie Brown at QB and Williams in motion which is how it was run last year but I think Pat White will be taking Ronnie Brown's position on those plays sometimes this year.