• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Advice on X-Box 360

coachx

My X-Box juts got the "red circle of death" or whatever you want to call it. Its over 3 years old so its not covered under warranty anymore

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/03/xbox-360-price-cut-now-us-199.aspx

Xbox 360 Price cut (now US $199)

It's official: We've got an Xbox 360 price cut coming to the US. Our friends in Japan announced their price cut earlier this week, but now it's time to roll one out here. As of September 5th, the new prices will be as follows:

Xbox 360 Arcade $199

Xbox 360 $299

Xbox 360 Elite $399

So what is the difference in these 3 models ?

Does the basic "Arcade version" for $199 allow you to play on line.

All I use my X-box 360 for is to play sports games like Madden. I don't need to use it as a DVD player or a 2nd computer. Just a sports game system.

So am I good with the basic model for my basic needs ?

Edited by coachx

My X-Box juts got the "red circle of death" or whatever you want to call it. Its over 3 years old so its not covered under warranty anymore

http://majornelson.c...now-us-199.aspx

All I use my X-box 360 for is to play sports games like Madden. I don't need to use it as a DVD player or a 2nd computer. Just a sports game system.

I think that you need the version with a hard drive to be able to play online although I could be mistaken.

Have you looked into getting yours fixed though? I'm sure it will cost a hell of a lot less to fix than to buy a new one.

If you stick with the 360 you will get more of this in the future.

If you stick with the 360 you will get more of this in the future.

You'd have a hard time convincing me of that since I've had mine almost 4 years now without a single problem. But I don't let mine stay on for hours and hours, I make sure it doesn't get too warm, and I have it plugged into a $40 UPS battery backup so it doesn't get power surges and it's been as reliable yesterday as it was back in December of 05 when I got it. But maybe I'm just lucky.

You'd have a hard time convincing me of that since I've had mine almost 4 years now without a single problem. But I don't let mine stay on for hours and hours, I make sure it doesn't get too warm, and I have it plugged into a $40 UPS battery backup so it doesn't get power surges and it's been as reliable yesterday as it was back in December of 05 when I got it. But maybe I'm just lucky.

Xboxs skip on certain games too. I've had 3. One got the red light. The next gave me a disc read error on brand new games. I just took the other one back. Now that they have reduced the price, you're better off with a PS3. It doesn't matter how long you keep a system on, it's not supposed to go bad in 3 years.

Xboxs skip on certain games too. I've had 3. One got the red light. The next gave me a disc read error on brand new games. I just took the other one back. Now that they have reduced the price, you're better off with a PS3. It doesn't matter how long you keep a system on, it's not supposed to go bad in 3 years.

What do you mean it doesn't matter how long you keep a system on? Would you leave a TV on without turning it off? It's not a good idea to leave a game system on as it's just going to get hot and burn out.

In 3 years, though ? I doubt he left it on that long either, but the point is when you pay hundreds of dollars for something most people expect to get more than 3 years use out of the device. It's a game system that's meant to be played, and I know on the weekend I can play Madden or NBA 2K for hours on end. However, it'll start to stutter and skip on an Xbox, but play smoothly on a PS3.

http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failure-rate-xbox-360-high-as-33-sony-ps3-less-than-1/

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7892

http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200808/196/New-study-has-Xbox-360-failure-rate-at-16

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/02/xbox-360-failure-rates-worse-than-most-consumer-electornics.ars

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6215590.html

Read some of the comments in these articles.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/801/801684p1.html

Why do you think they expanded their warranty to 3 years back in 2007?

Edited by Hotlanta1981

In 3 years, though ? I doubt he left it on that long either, but the point is when you pay hundreds of dollars for something most people expect to get more than 3 years use out of the device. It's a game system that's meant to be played, and I know on the weekend I can play Madden or NBA 2K for hours on end. However, it'll start to stutter and skip on an Xbox, but play smoothly on a PS3.

There are a lot of factors involved though. How long do you leave it on without playing it? What condition are your games in, do they get scratched up or left out of their case to get dust on them? Is your 360 in a well ventilated area? Do you turn it off in storms? Mine will lock up sometimes but I'm not sure if it's the games or the system but that happens on the PS3 also from time to time. Of course there is luck involved in how long your system will last but it does have a lot to do with how you treat it. It should definitely last 3 years or more though.

Because it was a brand new type of system that probably had unrealistic expectations placed upon it based on how they are used. The same way that other electronics/cars/etc have longer warranties now than they used to as well. Under ideal circumstances I guarantee you that the system can last past 3 years without fail.

Because it was a brand new type of system that probably had unrealistic expectations placed upon it based on how they are used. The same way that other electronics/cars/etc have longer warranties now than they used to as well. Under ideal circumstances I guarantee you that the system can last past 3 years without fail.

I think they were worried about quantity over quality and they wanted to get their product out before the PS3. That's what I believe. By the time the PS3 got out, Xbox 360 had already had it's system out and was building on it's library. As far as winning the console war, they've probably done it for now. I believe the failure rate for the 360 is a lot higher than the 3% that Microsoft claims. They're system is failure prone. There is plenty of proof to be found on the net. I think when they put their product out, they expected that they might not have to deal with the consequences of such a problem. Do you really believe every bodies system fails because they overused them? I know a lot do, but not everybody sits around and overplays it. Do you really believe the failure rate is only 3%? If not, then you also have to believe Microsoft are lying, and therefore they can't be trusted. Which would make your trust in them and their product to be a little head scratching.

I've had one put a big ring around one of my games just one day after opening the system. Other that, it's always the red ring problem.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

The arcade doesn't have a hard drive, which I think might be the only difference between its more expensive versions.

You can opt to go with the repair route, which I think costs $150. Just call MSoft and send it in.

If you want to buy a new console, then the $299 version would be best I'm guessing. The PS3 is also $299, if you're interested in that.

Plain and simple the PS3 is probably a better item, but Xbox live makes the argument a moot point for people who play online. Throw in that graphically the 360 outperforms or matches the PS3 on most titles and it is a no brainer.

If you take away Blu-Ray I don't think the PS3 is anywhere near as attractive of an option. I'm not a console nerd so I can't quote specs and all that but maybe Chillz will stumble onto this thread and give his 2 cents as he usually has a lot of facts to back up why the 360 is superior.

For me what makes the 360 so great is that it acts as a Media Center so I can install the free utility "tversity" and point that at my music, picture, and video folders and then easily play them on my tv that is connected to the 360. That might be possible with the PS3 but I don't know. I haven't played anything online with a Playstation since the PS2 but it royally sucked then compared to the XBox and I imagine that's probably still the case now. Then again I don't play online anymore since when you whip on these douches they just disconnect and the game doesn't count. If I am taking a beating I will play until the game is over.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have some old roomates and buddies who now live out of state. We had Madden going back to highschool. So the online game play is huge for me. That is what a PS3 is out of the question. I can't break up a 14 year old rivalry.

Edited by coachx

Thanks for the advice guys.

I have some old roomates and buddies who now live out of state. We had Madden going back to highschool. So the online game play is huge for me. That is what a PS3 is out of the question. I can't break up a 14 year old rivalry.

How is Madden 10 online? I've had it all this time and haven't even thought of playing online yet.

How is Madden 10 online? I've had it all this time and haven't even thought of playing online yet.

Well, I only had the game for 10 days before my X-box died.

If your trying to play or find random gamers you do not know then it is a little more difficult to find a good game. Madden 09 allowed you to see players win - loss record and the percentage of games they finish without quitting. In Madden 2010 I did not see where you could see players records or how often they quit.

If you are playing people you already know there will be no problems. However, I only played 3 games online before I got "the red circle of death" or whatever the hell they call it.

Well, I only had the game for 10 days before my X-box died.

If your trying to play or find random gamers you do not know then it is a little more difficult to find a good game. Madden 09 allowed you to see players win - loss record and the percentage of games they finish without quitting. In Madden 2010 I did not see where you could see players records or how often they quit.

If you are playing people you already know there will be no problems. However, I only played 3 games online before I got "the red circle of death" or whatever the hell they call it.

Oh that sucks that you can't see their W-L record or more importantly whether they finish the games. I wonder why they made that decision this year? I might have to try it out tonight for a game to see what it's like.

Did you try playing superstar mode? That's just like last year and it's a lot of fun. I created myself as a QB and got drafted by the damn dirty Barfalo Bills but at least I have a lot of weapons at my disposal. Apparently the feature to allow you to play as some of the all time greats is an extra fee where you have to buy credits or something like that. I want to try it but no way am I paying for that.