• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Advice on X-Box 360

coachx

If you take away Blu-Ray I don't think the PS3 is anywhere near as attractive of an option.

That's like someone saying, "If you take away Xbox Live away from the the 360, than its not near as attractive an option." You can't make that argument, because there is no point.

When comparing the two, you have to include Blu-Ray and Live, because they're going to be permanent fixtures on both consoles.

For me what makes the 360 so great is that it acts as a Media Center... That might be possible with the PS3 but I don't know

It is.

That's like someone saying, "If you take away Xbox Live away from the the 360, than its not near as attractive an option." You can't make that argument, because there is no point.

When comparing the two, you have to include Blu-Ray and Live, because they're going to be permanent fixtures on both consoles.

It is.

No it's not the same thing. The PRIMARY reason that people buy a gaming console is to play games. Playing online is still part of the game play and a rather large part for a lot of people. So the point is quite valid that you take away the extraneous features of each console that aren't related to playing games and then compare.

So the point is quite valid that you take away the extraneous features of each console that aren't related to playing games and then compare.

And the line becomes muddy. If you strip away all the "extraneous" features from a console, and just compare the bare bones aspect of playing games, than you're going to run into a ton of redundancy. Both game libraries are just too similar. So, that's where "extraneous" features come into play.

I doubt someone is sitting down and thinking to themselves, "Well... if the PS3 didn't have this or the 360 didn't have that, than it loses value." No, they're going to compare and contrast everything the 360 and PS3 has to offer before they buy. And that comparison will go beyond just looking at gaming capability. Most people these days are looking for more than just "playing games" on their consoles. They want to know what else it does.

As far as the online aspect, the PS3 does a decent job of it. In terms of strict online play, it performs well. It does lack the strong community aspect of Live, but hey its free, so I'm not complaining.

And the line becomes muddy. If you strip away all the "extraneous" features from a console, and just compare the bare bones aspect of playing games, than you're going to run into a ton of redundancy. Both game libraries are just too similar. So, that's where "extraneous" features come into play.

I doubt someone is sitting down and thinking to themselves, "Well... if the PS3 didn't have this or the 360 didn't have that, than it loses value." No, they're going to compare and contrast everything the 360 and PS3 has to offer before they buy. And that comparison will go beyond just looking at gaming capability. Most people these days are looking for more than just "playing games" on their consoles. They want to know what else it does.

As far as the online aspect, the PS3 does a decent job of it. In terms of strict online play, it performs well. It does lack the strong community aspect of Live, but hey its free, so I'm not complaining.

Yes of course if you take away everything then it becomes muddy but if you're talking about strictly the game playing experience then I believe the 360 is the better system and for those that play online 360 is consistently regarded as being far better than on the PS3.

Now if you're concerned with the extras (like being a Media Center or similar), playing DVD's/Blu-Ray, etc. then the PS3 would win if as you said above it can interact with tversity and stream media from a PC. For me I don't care about Blu-Ray or playing online and if I were buying today and they were equal price I'd probably buy a PS3 but I can definitely see where a 360 would be more attractive to a lot of people.

I think when they put their product out, they expected that they might not have to deal with the consequences of such a problem.

I've had one put a big ring around one of my games just one day after opening the system. Other that, it's always the red ring problem.

I meant to say that they probably expected they would have to deal with a problem down the line.

Sorry, I got a lot of crap going on right now.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

If you're talking strictly gameplay vs gameplay, at best, they are dead even. There is still a dated argument that XBox graphics are superior to PS3's despite the PS having superior capabilities with it's procssor and blu-ray games. That is now a myth as programmers have now finally learned the PS3's engine. Still, for arguments sake, take away online play (which XBox is the winner at although YOU HAVE TO PAY), take away blu-ray, and everything else and the two machines are even in performance.

However, the only thing the 360 has going for it over the PS is Live. To me, even though I play a lot online, it's not enough to overcome lack of blu-ray and poor crafstmanship. Since you can hub both machines, I'd take the PS over the 360 everyday of the week. However, I do like to game online a lot so I've made sure to keep one of each on hand to satisfy all of my gaming needs.

Gotta ask you Dolf do you own a PS3? Do you own a Blu-ray player? Being the movie buff you are I'd be suprised if you didn't own a blu-ray and if you do why didn't you just get a PS3 for that alone?

• Like 1

• Admin

As a professional gamer, i'll throw my opinion in.

First off, to stay on topic.

Elite is now $299, Arcade is $199. The elite has a 120gb HD, the arcade has built in memory, I think 512mb. Both now have HDMI ports. You may also be able to find a Pro model which has a 60gb HD for $249, while supplies last.

For the most part, performance wise, the systems are identical.

xbox live is still vastly superior to PSN and that will not change any time soon, but it costs ($50 advertised you can find 12month cards for $30-35 if you look). Even if you aren't an online gamer, you can't discount what Xbox live offers. It's not just an online gaming platform anymore. Netflix integration, movie/TV rental services, twitter, last.fm, facebook, media center integration, etc. They are expanding XBox live at a fantastic rate.

Both consoles have exclusive titles, but most games come out on both systems, so you're not going to lose much either way.

There is a vast separation on the PS3 side between gamers and blu-ray buyers. For gamers, the blu-ray capabilities of the PS3 aren't a big seller. For blu-ray fans, the gaming capabilities of the ps3 aren't a selling point. This is why while the ps3 only lags behind the 360 by a few million units world wide, cross platform games consistently sell 2x (or more) as many units on the 360 as they do on the ps3. Most people buying PS3's are buying them for movies over games. This doesn't mean much overall, but you're certainly going to have a larger pool of potential people to play against on the 360.

There is no denying the 360's past reliability issues, but the last two revisions of the 360 have nearly eliminated these problems. Comparing the units that have been released over the last year you'd find that the 360 is on par with or only slightly behind the ps3. If you're buying new, the reliability issue simply isn't an issue anymore. If you search around you can find out how to tell if the unit you are considering is one of the latest revisions (jasper I think) or the previous revisions (falcon). Also keep in mind that despite these original problems the 360 is the best selling next-gen (now current gen) console on the market. That says a lot for the platform as a whole.

In the end it really comes down to how much you value blu-ray. If you plan to watch a lot of blu-ray movies and have all the other things you need to take advantage of them (good TV, etc), then that might matter to you. I'm a huge movie buff, but blu-ray simply holds no magic for me. I will not deny that I get my HD movie fix in other *ahem* ways, but I can't ever see myself owning a blu-ray player or paying the premium for blu-ray movies over regular DVD's. If that day ever comes, I doubt I would get a ps3 simply because blu-ray players are so cheap now. It's not going to be long before you're going to be able to get a feature complete BD player for $99.

• Like 1

***NEWS FLASH*** PS3 consoles mess up too, just not as often as the older Xbox 360s...The newer 360 systems were restructured a bit to nearly eliminate overheated and GPU/CPU burn out...Newer Xbox 360s w/ HDMI have better heatsinks, different arrangement....But it's best to not to play your system no more than 2 to 3 hours or so at a time before allowing it to cool for at least 30-45 mins...

Forgot about the Netflix so +1 for the 360. I also forgot about the PS3 having it's own web browser and it's usefulness as a media hub is way better than the 360, although the 360's is in fact growing quickly.

Chillz you say you are a professional gamer so I must ask if you are sponsered by MIcrosoft in some form or fashion? Just wondering because for the past 3 or so years you've been in complete denial about the 360's failure rate. At it's highest peak it was above 50% and most considered that too gracious. While it's improved temendously the latest reports (and there are plenty with a wide array of numbers) have it listed at around 10%. (as of earlier this year). That is remarkable progress and proves that the new chips are working better but lets put it into perspective shall we...The PS3 and the Wii both hover around a 1% failure rate. That means that the 360 is STILL 10X more likely to fail on you than the PS3. On the other end of the spectrum a readers survy listed ¥ Xbox 360 has a 54.2 percent failure rate ¥ PS3 has a 10.6 percent failure rate ¥ Wii has a 6.8 percent failure rate. None of these numbers are from any of the manufacturers themselves but even Square trade put out their findings and, while not as drastic, it listed the 360 as only twice as likely to die. Better but still risky. Not sure how you're coming up with your claims but perhaps you should research it before giving out misleading info. Microsoft simply puts out an inferior product in terms of reliabiility.

I'd also like to add that not all BR players are equal. Sure you will eventually be able to get one for $99 but they will be outdated in a matter months as BR's format is still being fine tuned. The PS3's BR player is still a $300 BR player with a free next gen gaming system (and the only TRUE HD gaming system there is)And if you think there isn't a difference in your streaming internet "HD" and true 1080p format than you are missing out on some good looking movies.

Bottom line is unless you play an enormous amount of online gaming I'd go with the PS3. Especially if you can only have one system as you are still playing a game of chance by getting a 360.

Edited by Dsinner