• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Do We Employ A Switching Defense?

TheTruth

I'm curious. Yes, we are crazy athletic (aside from Bibby and Zaza), but has it really helped our defense?

Why do we do it?

Are there other teams that do it as much as we do it?

Would we better off without it and employing some other defense? If so, what would it be?

I'm curious. Yes, we are crazy athletic (aside from Bibby and Zaza), but has it really helped our defense?

Why do we do it?

Would we better off without it and employing some other defense? If so, what would it be?

Woody doesn't have a better strategy at defending the pick & roll.

I wonder the same thing. when Chilldress was here it made much more sense cuz when he was in the line up at pg we had a line-up 1-5 of 6'8-6'10 players who were good defenders, quick and long. not anymore now, with Bibby and shorter guys like Evans and Craw coming off the bench we arent as long thus our original intention of 5 guys being able to defend every position doesnt exist anymore. we also dont have 5 strong individual defenders so we cant run a straight up man to man. its painful watchin teams shred our defense by constantly making us switch until a wide open shooter is left, or a lane opens up, or a mis-match is created.

we are better off running a zone defense, with Smith on the interior of Bibbys side. thus we turn a weakness into a strength as Smoove is an awesome help defender and everytime Bibby gets beat he will have an oppurtunity to get a block. our current roster is not built for the defense we run, and it seems like Woody's tryna hold on to it because when we had the players it made him look smart as a coach when it was succesful, but now it only further exposes his lack of adjustment and ability to scheme to his players strengths, it is perhaps the laziest defensive "scheme" in the NBA. Its no longer effective for us.

Edited by RedDawg#8

I wonder the same thing. when Chilldress was here it made much more sense cuz when he was in the line up at pg we had a line-up 1-5 of 6'8-6'10 players who were good defenders, quick and long. not anymore now, with Bibby and shorter guys like Evans and Craw coming off the bench we arent as long thus our original intention of 5 guys being able to defend every position doesnt exist anymore. we also dont have 5 strong individual defenders so we cant run a straight up man to man. its painful watchin teams shred our defense by constantly making us switch until a wide open shooter is left, or a lane opens up, or a mis-match is created.

we are better off running a zone defense, with Smith on the interior of Bibbys side. thus we turn a weakness into a strength as Smoove is an awesome help defender and everytime Bibby gets beat he will have an oppurtunity to get a block. our current roster is not built for the defense we run, and it seems like Woody's tryna hold on to it because when we had the players it made him look smart as a coach when it was succesful, but now it only further exposes his lack of adjustment and ability to scheme to his players strengths, it is perhaps the laziest defensive "scheme" in the NBA. Its no longer effective for us.

Adjusting is Woody's biggest weakness in my opinion in what he has shown so far. Will he ever get better at it, hopefully yeah for our sale and his sake alike but we still are long enough(as a majority for this scheme to work. It's easier to slack off against weaker opponents and the better we get or feel like we are the more it will frequently seem like we are facing weaker opponents.

Early in the shotclock I think that switching on every pick is absolute suicide. It lets smart teams set EXACTLY the matchup they want and then they can just eat you alive. Late in the shotclock where resetting the offense to exploit a preferred matchup is more difficult I strongly prefer the switching defense.

Why do we do it?

Woody's defensive scheme is fine. It is the execution that is sometimes lacking. Woody not holding the players accountable for their defensive lapses early in the game perhaps contributes to the problems we sometimes have but it is not the scheme. That same scheme helped the Pistons be the best defensive team in the league when Woody was there.

Notice how much better we seem to play defensively int the 4th quarter? That is a direct result of focus and effort. The scheme doesn't call for a switch EVERY time but early in the game, the players seem to go ahead and switch rather than fighting to stay with their man. Bibby doesn't seem to try to fight through picks AT ALL in the first half but all of a sudden in the 4th quarter, he's not half bad at keeping his man in front of him. JJ's effort is CLEARLY more focused in the 4th as well. Honestly, they ALL seem to take their effort and focus up a notch in crunch time. When they learn to start with great defensive effort and sustain it throuought the entire game, I think that is when we might be able to really compete with the Boston's, Orlando's and Cleveland's of the world.

Woody's defensive scheme is fine. It is the execution that is sometimes lacking. Woody not holding the players accountable for their defensive lapses early in the game perhaps contributes to the problems we sometimes have but it is not the scheme. That same scheme helped the Pistons be the best defensive team in the league when Woody was there.

Notice how much better we seem to play defensively int the 4th quarter? That is a direct result of focus and effort. The scheme doesn't call for a switch EVERY time but early in the game, the players seem to go ahead and switch rather than fighting to stay with their man. Bibby doesn't seem to try to fight through picks AT ALL in the first half but all of a sudden in the 4th quarter, he's not half bad at keeping his man in front of him. JJ's effort is CLEARLY more focused in the 4th as well. Honestly, they ALL seem to take their effort and focus up a notch in crunch time. When they learn to start with great defensive effort and sustain it throuought the entire game, I think that is when we might be able to really compete with the Boston's, Orlando's and Cleveland's of the world.

I agree, although I do think they need change up their defensive schemes from time to time. I don't like the unnecessary double teaming that they do sometimes, because if they don't get a steal or a deflection, they leave people wide open.

Bibby, early in games, almost refuses to fight through screens, or even know if they're coming. His defensive awareness is non-existant at times. But you're right, in the 4th quarter, even he plays better defense.

At 6 - 5, Jamal may be a better PG to employ the switching defense with. But he doesn't have the greatest defensive awareness either or the desire to fight through screens. Hopefully, Woody can put him in positions to make his defense better. And the intensity shown from his teammates at times, should force him to want to be better.

When Smoove is focused defensively though, it's a beautiful thing. He may not be the best "on the ball" defender, but his awareness is great at times.

"Switching" is EXACTLY what the other team WANTS you to do and is why they run the pick and roll in the 1st place.

It frustrates me that we always take the easy way out and switch. That killed us in the Cleveland series last year.

Actually, the purpose of the pick and roll is to create an OPEN shot. I'd rather us switch and CONTEST the shot, even if it results in a mismatch, than to let the guy use the pick to get an unconstested shot (or let the guy who set the pick roll to the basket for an even easier shot).

When the switch and mismatch occurs and a big guy has a little guy on him in the post, the players are supposed to double the big guy and force him to pass the ball. The double has to come form the right place and the other players have to properly rotate once the big guy passes the ball to prevent wide open shots. Obviously, breakdowns occur but when players do what they are supposed to do, I think it works well.

I agree, although I do think they need change up their defensive schemes from time to time. I don't like the unnecessary double teaming that they do sometimes, because if they don't get a steal or a deflection, they leave people wide open.

Bibby, early in games, almost refuses to fight through screens, or even know if they're coming. His defensive awareness is non-existant at times. But you're right, in the 4th quarter, even he plays better defense.

At 6 - 5, Jamal may be a better PG to employ the switching defense with. But he doesn't have the greatest defensive awareness either or the desire to fight through screens. Hopefully, Woody can put him in positions to make his defense better. And the intensity shown from his teammates at times, should force him to want to be better.

When Smoove is focused defensively though, it's a beautiful thing. He may not be the best "on the ball" defender, but his awareness is great at times.

Oh I agree 100% that we need to switch it up at times and fight through screens rather than switching everything. We actually do that sometimes and in certain situations. We also go to a zone D on occasion.

As for Jamaal and Bibby, I think this is a GREAT system for them because neither guy is going to fight through screens all day. Never have and never will. This D at least allows them to get some assistance when they don't fight through the screen.

Oh I agree 100% that we need to switch it up at times and fight through screens rather than switching everything. We actually do that sometimes and in certain situations. We also go to a zone D on occasion.

Cosign, I like swithcing better with guys who can caurd multiple positions on the court ie: Jamal and Evans, but no so much with Bibby because he cant gaurd anybody effectively man to man unless he decides to fight thru screens against point guards, but at 6-2 and not long or very fast when he ends up on anybody else its a nightmare unless they give up the ball before trying to attack him, I prefer our forwards using their length in passing lanes in a zone, and our high IQ but low energy gaurds not havin to run all over the place.

It would be brilliant with the right pieces at the right time. It does throw you off when you make a play based on the guy immediately guarding you and then that guy ends up being a longer,stronger or quicker guy and you have to change schemes mid move or pass. Say Joe had a smaller man he planned on backing down and then help not only comes but switches. He would either have to settle for a tough shot or pass the ball hoping the passing lane is not blocked off because your advantage is gone and the next move is already anticipated. Watch as Smoove/Marvin and the bunch rack up on their steal/rebound total because they are already anticipating a players next move after the switch. The catch to that is the offense can bait you into switches when they already know it is coming especially early during the shot clock. Most teams make Bibby the target for our defenders to have to help and when we take the bait it makes our switches late or leaves a hole in the middle or a wide open shot with a couple of quick passes.