• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wilkins Still Looms Large over Hawks Franchise

TheTruth

My link

Wilkins still looms large over Hawks franchise

By Micah Hart, for NBA.com

Posted Jan 12 2010 10:31AM

One of the best things about being an NBA fan these days is how many of the game's legends have maintained an active association with the League. Whether as front office types or as broadcasters (or both), you don't have to go far to relive the glory days of the league's previous golden age, the era of Magic, Larry, MJ, and of course, the Human Highlight Film.

Dominique Wilkins occupies a unique place in the American basketball pantheon -- while he was often overshadowed during his career by the previously-mentioned triumvirate and never able to get his Hawks to the heights of the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls, he owns as much street cred amongst his fellow players and NBA fans as any player of his generation.

At 50 years old on Tuesday, Nique is still going strong as ever, representing the Atlanta Hawks as both the VP of Basketball and the team's television analyst.

We caught up to Wilkins before the Hawks game against the Celtics on Monday night in Boston (oddly appropriate, as Boston is the site of perhaps the greatest night of Wilkins' career, the mano-a-mano showdown with Bird in Game Seven of the 1988 Eastern Conference Semis):

How does it feel to be turning 50?

Dominique Wilkins: I look at age as a state of mind. I feel great, so it doesn't feel like a big deal. It's certainly a big milestone, but I don't feel any different.

It's been awhile since you last wore a Hawks jersey, but in many ways you are still the face of the franchise. What does that mean to you?

DW: It means a lot. I love Atlanta, I love the franchise, and I've always considered myself a Hawk. I may have played for other teams, but in my heart I was always a Hawk. I am proud to still be so involved with the franchise.

What's your take on the current version of the team?

DW: This team has really grown up over the past few years. They have really good chemistry, and they enjoy playing together. The young guys have matured, so it's no surprise to me that they are playing so well.

This is your second season as a TV analyst for the franchise -- how are you enjoying your broadcasting career?

DW: I love it. It gives me a chance to give my opinion as a basketball player. It's been an adjustment for sure, but it's a lot of fun. I've enjoyed getting to be involved on both sides, within the organization as the VP of Basketball and as the color commentator on TV.

What's the biggest difference between the game when you played it and how it's being played now?

DW: The game has changed a lot from a physical perspective. Guys are bigger now, and also guys are capable of playing multiple positions. When I played, most players played one position and that was it. It makes it much harder to guard guys these days with their abilities to move to different places on the floor.

What do you think of the trend in basketball towards using advanced statistical analysis to evaluating players?

DW: There's a place for it, but at the end of the day, the thing I want to know as a basketball observer is, can the guy play? A lot of times statistics and or individual workouts don't tell you how a guy is going to play in a five-on-five setting. You have to look at a guy's talent, his work ethic, and his love of the game, and those things will go a long way in telling you if a guy is capable of being a good player or a great player.

There is a rumor you are trying to convince Josh Smith to get back into the dunk contest. Any luck?

DW: I am. I think he should do it, but ultimately it's up to him. I think it would be great to see him do it again, to entertain the fans and give something back to them, so I hope that he will.

You and Charles Barkley are pretty good friends. Did you happen to catch his performance on Saturday Night Live this week?

DW: I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but knowing Charles, I bet it was entertaining.

What's your best piece of advice for young players looking to make it to the league someday?

DW: The thing I would tell anyone, whether they want to play basketball or be successful in any other walk of life, is to work on the things you aren't comfortable with, the things you don't like to do. If you can work to perfect the things that are your weaknesses then you'll become much more well-rounded.

Last question -- you won MVP honors in a basketball exhibition in Asia a few months ago -- if the Hawks needed you to suit up tomorrow night, what do you think you could bring to the table?

DW: I think I could give them about six good minutes -- and then they'd have to take me to the hospital.