• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jeff Teague 15/5 next season

kalaps

Jeff Teague given the opportunity, has the chance to put up some really big numbers. In the few minutes he had I saw him run down fast breaks and had some Jsmoove type blocks. The talent is there, I see him taking the same path as Deron Williams of Utah, an unimpressive rookie year, but flourished from that point on. I'm not saying he will be as good as, I hope he's close, but the potential is there.

I don't believe Teague's numbers will tell the whole story. I think if he can quicken the pace and get penetration Bibby couldn't, he'll help break down defenses and create better shots for other players.

Agreed. Bibby needs to come off the bench and provide scoring to the second team. Don't think that will happen at first but if Teague blossoms . . . . .

Larry will likely have him as the point guard and have him running the show as well, so the opportunity to put up some numbers will be there. My one concern is his decision making. That has to improve. He's got to protect the basketball better than he did at the college level.

I remember an eerily similar post like this back in the day to the original JT.

Rookie Season: 23.3 minutes - 41.5% fg - 29% 3 point - 4.3 ast - 8 ppg. on 7.4 fga.

Next Season: 37.7 minutes - 43.6% fg - 39.5% 3 point - 4.6 ast - 19.7 ppg on 16.7 fga.

He blew the EFF up that season, damn shame Johnson wasn't matched up with his perfect compliment Jason "Jet" Terry. Other than that it wouldn't shock some people to see the new JT generate similar gains in this upcoming season......

Agreed. Bibby needs to come off the bench and provide scoring to the second team. Don't think that will happen at first but if Teague blossoms . . . . .

This is another instance where our ownership has handicapped our team's development. By not either firing or extending Woody before last year (so we had a coach who had the job security to develop Teague more last year), we basically lost a year with him. Not a total loss - but honestly, how can anybody really say right now whether he is ready to be the starting PG on a quality team? We simply haven't seen enough of him in that role (quality minutes).

I certainly hope he is ready, but I can't imagine that LD would just start him right off the bat 1st game of the regular season. Of course another big key is his ability to improve his outside shot. No matter how much a team wants to run and push the tempo - the majority of any game is still really a half court game. If we are always facing a sagging zone (daring Teague to shoot from outside) we could have troubles...but if he can make some shots, protect the ball, and make quality passes - I'll be excited biggrin.gif ....fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I believe Teague can avg more than 5 assists per game. He probably will have less points but each game I can see him having any combination of points and assists that add up to 20. 15-5, 14-6. 13-7, 12-8, etc.

I tend to agree and would prefer assists over points as a rule for a PG.

I like the comparison with JT, though I don't think Teague will shoot quite that well (but I do hope he does). One thing to remember is JT was a senior when he came into the league. He had 2 years on Teague to post his 8 and 4. I don't think Deron Williams is a good comparison, and DW actually had a pretty good rookie year--it's just that he was outshined by Chris Paul so much that people thought he was a disappointment.

I think Teague will be an above average PG in the NBA, but we might have to wait until 2012-13 for him to reach that level. This next season will be his senior year, and he didn't get much experience last year. I'm expecting something fairly modest, though 10/4 sounds reasonable. Even 5 assists is a reach for the type of PG he is and the type of team we have. At his peak, I expect him to be a 15/6 PG.

One thing to that I did not mention is his defense, I was an ok defender and I kinda compare him to a more offense Rando. They both show good hustle, even though Rando is at a different level that everybody else in that department, but that is the biggest factor in playing defense.

One thing to that I did not mention is his defense, I was an ok defender and I kinda compare him to a more offense Rando. They both show good hustle, even though Rando is at a different level that everybody else in that department, but that is the biggest factor in playing defense.

I meant he was an ok defender, my game involves a remote and a cold beer, which I'm top 10 in the league at

Playing good D Teague can make up for his shortcomings in offense. He matches any point guard in this league speed wise. If JJ stays (which I doubt), he won't have to cover PGs like CP3, Nelson, Jennings, Rondo which would save a lot of his energy.

Edited by tremor

Jeff Teague's per 36 minute averages last year were 11.4 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.1 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 0.6 BPG, and 2.5 TOPG. He only shot 39% from the floor and 22% from behind the arc. His TS% is 46% with an eFG% of 41%. Both of these will have to improve.

Situationally, you have to take into account that Jeff was sporadically played this past year. He played less than 800 minutes on the year, and the majority of the minutes he got, he was on the floor with Jamal Crawford. The only game where Jeff Teague got to "run the show" was the final game of the season, where Jeff looked like a potentially dominant point guard. Last year, when he was on the floor, Jeff was asked to be little more than a spot up shooter with Jamal Crawford playing in isolation. This year, everything Larry Drew is saying suggests that Jeff will be running the show. If he does, then his game is based on his speed and penetration ability. If he gets stronger over the offseason, he should be able to finish better than 55% around the rim.

Conservatively, I would project his numbers to be around 12 PPG and 6 APG, but it will not surprise me to see him score between 15-18 PPG.

Jeff Teague's per 36 minute averages last year were 11.4 PPG, 6.1 APG, 3.1 RPG, 1.7 SPG, 0.6 BPG, and 2.5 TOPG. He only shot 39% from the floor and 22% from behind the arc. His TS% is 46% with an eFG% of 41%. Both of these will have to improve.

Conservatively, I would project his numbers to be around 12 PPG and 6 APG, but it will not surprise me to see him score between 15-18 PPG.

I like the conservative approach; in essence this is his rookie season. I also have a wait and see attitude since we have no idea who his counter part will be at SG just yet. I think Marvin, Horf, and Smoove will all be in play and just maybe Chilz as well. But SG is a big position when it comes to keeping the lanes open for his drives and helping his assist numbers on kick outs.

Teague has game but he needs help just like anyone else.

I like the conservative approach; in essence this is his rookie season. I also have a wait and see attitude since we have no idea who his counter part will be at SG just yet. I think Marvin, Horf, and Smoove will all be in play and just maybe Chilz as well. But SG is a big position when it comes to keeping the lanes open for his drives and helping his assist numbers on kick outs.

Teague has game but he needs help just like anyone else.

Yep, and I doubt that help will come from the draft. More than likely, if Joe leaves, then we will have Jamal at shooting guard for this year. The problem with that will be that Jamal will want to dominate the basketball. He's talking a good game right now with the Larry Drew hiring, but his history suggests that he is going to look for his before he looks for anyone elses. He's not going to be happy if his role on some plays is nothing more than a spot up jump shooter.

One guy in the draft that I think could be a fit is Terrico White, but I'm not sure he is worth the 24th pick. Terrico is very versatile and has a sweet jump shot. He's also one of the more athletic players in this draft. His problem is that he doesn't attack the rim at all and shies away from contact.

Probably the best fit from a skill level perspective pulled out of his workout, and that was Jordan Crawford.