• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NEW look for Hawksquawk ...

Admin

As you've likely noticed by now I've implemented a fairly large change to the look of the Hawksquawk website. Hopefully most of you will like it, but if not I'm going to leave the old skin available and you're welcome to switch to it instead and all should go back to what it was before. In case you don't know how to do that all you do is scroll down towards the bottom of the website and on the left hand side of the page you'll see a drop down menu that should show "Hawksquawk 3.1.2". Just change that to "Hawksquawk 3.1" and you'll be back to the previous skin.

One of the major things that I wanted to accomplish with this update was to make the topic listing page easier to read and to make it easier to fit on smaller screen resolutions and I was able to remove 2 columns from the old layout simply by adding the "by" line below the title of the topic. This makes the page a little taller but I believe it helps to make it much easier to read and to see who started the topic.

Another thing is that we now actually have a "Home" page that has some useful, dynamic content, including a nice combined RSS feed from Peachtree Hoops, Hoopinion as well as the AJC. There is also a block that updates with the newest Hawks related videos on NBA.com as well so make sure that you visit that page often.

As always I welcome your feedback and if you have any issues with the new skin don't hesitate to let me know either by replying to this thread or via PM.

Update - I've done some tweaking to the layout today to compensate for those of you with screen resolutions smaller than the recommended 1280 x 1024 and it should re-size the site to fit for you all. I believe that is probably the issue that many of you who had trouble with the new layout were seeing yesterday and hopefully this fixes it.

In case you're wondering you can see the type of browser that you're using and the width and height of your browser window near the bottom of the screen (scroll down to just above the bottom red bar) and as long as you're in the green for both you should be good to go. If you see red then hopefully the site re-sizes properly for you but if not then I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Premium Member

No offense intended but I had to immediately switch it back to the old format. The entire site was blocked off my screen resolution to the right. It was like there was a blue divider from literally half my monitor over to the left and what was left on the right hand side was severely compact. It also did not scroll over. I'll stick to the old format.

No offense intended but I had to immediately switch it back to the old format. The entire site was blocked off my screen resolution to the right. It was like there was a blue divider from literally half my monitor over to the left and what was left on the right hand side was severely compact. It also did not scroll over. I'll stick to the old format.

Same issue but I just minimized the view in the browser, now it's the new site in a large blue border.

As you've likely noticed by now I've implemented a fairly large change to the look of the Hawksquawk website. Hopefully most of you will like it, but if not I'm going to leave the old skin available and you're welcome to switch to it instead and all should go back to what it was before. In case you don't know how to do that all you do is scroll down towards the bottom of the website and on the left hand side of the page you'll see a drop down menu that should show "Hawksquawk 3.1.2". Just change that to "Hawksquawk 3.1" and you'll be back to the previous skin.

One of the major things that I wanted to accomplish with this update was to make the topic listing page easier to read and to make it easier to fit on smaller screen resolutions and I was able to remove 2 columns from the old layout simply by adding the "by" line below the title of the topic. This makes the page a little taller but I believe it helps to make it much easier to read and to see who started the topic.

Another thing is that we now actually have a "Home" page that has some useful, dynamic content, including a nice combined RSS feed from Peachtree Hoops, Hoopinion as well as the AJC. There is also a block that updates with the newest Hawks related videos on NBA.com as well so make sure that you visit that page often.

As always I welcome your feedback and if you have any issues with the new skin don't hesitate to let me know either by replying to this thread or via PM.

Looks good man! Good way to kick off the next season with a new look for the forum!

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

:go ahead:

A couple of evolutions ago, I shared this site with some friends at a board for my fav college team, and the admin was kinda p-o'ed... I meant no insult, and in truth, his site is about as good as it gets in terms of rational sports discussion online, but nonetheless, he responded in a way that could only be interpreted as extreme jealousy.

My only concern is and always has been that Dolf may invest personally too much... both in terms of time and money... the cost/benefit ratio seems questionable given that, like anyone else, surely he has a life beyond the Atlanta Hawks and this board. This board visually is so far beyond "good enough" that if there were such a thing as an Oscar for sports boards, it would be an annual nominee, at least to my mind.

I haven't chipped-in in awhile, and this month's budget what with a new kid in college is already on the edge... but I'll try to work it out so that there's some contribution to the cause in October.

Well first off thank you guys for your kind words! I truly enjoy working on this site and trying to keep it modern and enjoyable to visit for all and I appreciate that you guys are cool with me constantly (as I'm sure it seems) changing things up. As far as donations go I absolutely do not want anyone feeling obligated or going outside of your means to do so. Donations are always appreciated and put to good use but they're not needed so badly that I'd want anyone doing so when they shouldn't.

As to those of you having issues I have to say that I'm quite perplexed by that and the only thing I can think to recommend is to clear your cache and see how that affects it. If you'd really like to try and help me figure out what's going on I'd appreciate if you let me know what your screen resolution is set to and if you want to take it one step further you could email me a screenshot of what you're seeing to dolfan23@hawksquawk.net and I'll see if I can replicate the problem.

Liking the Highlight Factory background!

~lw3

Thanks, I kinda felt like it was time for a change to the background ... I gotta give credit for the photo of Philips to our friend from down under Rick as he posted that in the Hawksquawk gallery.

When i click my name at the bottom (My Profile) there appears to be a drop down where usually you can view your posts and things, but nothing drops down.

Yeah I've noticed that too and from what I can tell if you are on the top half of the page it will work but when you are on the bottom half of the page it's placing it off the screen. Something is overriding the value that I've set but I can't figure out where they're doing it in the code. Still working on it though and thanks for the heads up.

Edit - I figured out how to "hack" the program to make it work now so hopefully that should fix that issue.

• Moderators

Yeah I've noticed that too and from what I can tell if you are on the top half of the page it will work but when you are on the bottom half of the page it's placing it off the screen. Something is overriding the value that I've set but I can't figure out where they're doing it in the code. Still working on it though and thanks for the heads up.

Edit - I figured out how to "hack" the program to make it work now so hopefully that should fix that issue.

Yes. Its working! You're the man. I like the changes although there is a lot of 'blue' space on either side in my browser. Is this part of the change? I probably have an inch or two on each side of the main board window that is showing the background regardless of the size of my browser window. Not a big deal though. Thanks.

Yes. Its working! You're the man. I like the changes although there is a lot of 'blue' space on either side in my browser. Is this part of the change? I probably have an inch or two on each side of the main board window that is showing the background regardless of the size of my browser window. Not a big deal though. Thanks.

Cool glad that it's working for you. Yeah it's supposed to be that way, that way you can see some of the background as a frame for the site. It's actually 100 pixels on each side of the board and the main content area will shrink or grow depending on the width of your monitor. .

I've done some tweaking to the layout today to compensate for those of you with screen resolutions smaller than the recommended 1280 x 1024 and it should re-size the site to fit for you all. I believe that is probably the issue that many of you who had trouble with the new layout were seeing yesterday and hopefully this fixes it.

In case you're wondering you can see the type of browser that you're using and the width and height of your browser window near the bottom of the screen (scroll down to just above the bottom red bar) and as long as you're in the green for both you should be good to go. If you see red then hopefully the site re-sizes properly for you but if not then I apologize for the inconvenience.