• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The NEWER scoreboard at the top of the page

Admin

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got the version of the new Hawksquawk custom scoreboard put up tonight (press CTRL + F5 if you don't see it).

Added 10/17/10:

• Added "Hide/Show Scoreboard" button to the top right of the page, which enables each of you to toggle the visibility of the scoreboard and the site will remember your choice.
  • Added Field Position Bar to NFL games to show the field position of the team with the ball. Bar will turn red when team is in the red zone.

Added 10/16/10:
  • Added NCAA Football (CFB) to the scoreboard and have it sorted by rank through the top 25 and then by default (according to incoming XML data) after that.
  • Also added buttons and wrapper for NCAA Basketball (CBB), Baseball (MLB) and Hockey (NHL) and I hope to have those completed by 10/17 if possible.

Initial Features:

• If you click (might have to double-click sometimes) on a game that will take you to the NBA.com or NFL.com game center page for that particular game.
  • The scoreboard will update every 15 seconds, although the XML data that I am pulling in usually only updates about every 30 seconds or so.
  • You can click NBA or NFL to change between sports and a Flash based "cookie" will be stored on your computer to remember which version you clicked on last and should automatically load that sport on the next page refresh.
  • Atlanta Hawks and Atlanta Falcons games will always appear to the far left, assuming they are playing of course.
  • If there are more than 8 games then you'll see 2 arrows to the right of the games, click the right arrow to load the next set of games and the left arrow to go back to the 1st set of games.

There are bound to be some bugs with it, although I hope there won't be many. If you do notice anything that doesn't work the way that you think it probably should then please let me know.

Also I haven't had a chance to check and see how it performs during a live NFL game so I will be working on that Sunday and I will also be adding some more minor features to it in the coming weeks.

• Moderators

Worth noting that the Chat feature is part of the member bar on the bottom of the page (formerly on the top bar) as well?

~lw3

Ah, never mind, I see it's back on the top bar as well. Kind of liked it hidden on the member bar to limit the occasional yahoos jumping in purely to troll on game days, but whatev.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Looks good Dol. :go ahead:

Just FYI, I'm using Chrome and the scoreboard appears at the bottom of the page...it's annoying, but the crappy part is that it's cut off by the taskbar.

Looks fine in IE8.

Nevermind...did a ctrl-F5 and logged in again. Looks fine.

You must have had a cached version of the scoreboard CSS file from when I first tested it using at the bottom of the page. For anyone else having an issue like that CTRL + F5 should do the trick.

Glad that you like it and thanks for letting me know about the issue of it's position since that might help others.

Also to let everyone know I am working on adding NCAA football and basketball as well as the NHL and MLB.

The scoreboard is cool, but ... how do you turn it off?

Yes I can tell you think it's very cool! :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

... press CTRL + F5 and you'll see a new button at the top right of your screen that allows you to hide the scoreboard.

• 4 weeks later...

I've become thoroughly annoyed with the scoreboard at the top of the page and the difficulty in seeing it when you scroll down the page and I'm sure that others have felt that way also.

So today I made some modifications to the scoreboard so that it sits in the content area just below the main navigation, but once you scroll down the page to where the scoreboard would normally scroll off of the page it will now attach itself to the top and stay there until you scroll back up to the top of the page and it sits back in it's original position.

I think that this is a huge improvement (it's the same technique that NBA.com uses on their non-home pages) but if you have any trouble with it please let me know.

As always you may need to press CTRL + F5 to refresh the page and get the scoreboard into it's proper place.

I'm on google chrome and I have done ctrl+F5, still can't see anything that allows me to turn the scoreboard off. Am I just that blind?

That was causing people trouble so I had to remove that feature, which was another reason to move it down to where it's not in the way. Is it bothering you now where it's at?

That was causing people trouble so I had to remove that feature, which was another reason to move it down to where it's not in the way. Is it bothering you now where it's at?

Its one of those things that is annoying now, but I will get used to it.

I would probably prefer not seeing a scoreboard since if I cared about scores I wouldn't be squawking, but its not a big deal at all. If the feature comes back cool, but if it doesn't I'll still be squawking so don't put any extra effort in the site because it slightly annoys me.

Is it not possible the remove that scoreboard on Firefox? It makes it so you can only see one post on the messageboards. Im tired of having to scroll so much now.

It only takes up 60 pixels in height so it's not making that much difference in scrolling. If you can only see one post now then you could only have seen one post plus a tiny bit extra before.

You're always welcome to switch to the other skins from the drop down menu in the lower left.

It only takes up 60 pixels in height so it's not making that much difference in scrolling. If you can only see one post now then you could only have seen one post plus a tiny bit extra before.

You're always welcome to switch to the other skins from the drop down menu in the lower left.

I dont see the skins menu, can you tell me exactly what to click. I see my screen name and a menu there.

The scoreboard combined with the tool bar at the bottom is def. taking up too much real estate

I dont see the skins menu, can you tell me exactly what to click. I see my screen name and a menu there.

The scoreboard combined with the tool bar at the bottom is def. taking up too much real estate

Just hit [End] key and you'll see in the bottom left corner combo where default value is 'Hawksquawk 3.1.2'.

Edited by tremor