• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA 2k11 strange issue

frosgrim

I tend to find the HS community better at answering questions than the posters on the 2k boards. Does anyone else have the problem in association mode where all your players drop to 1 star for trade values? This makes it impossible to do any sort of trade. I have other teams offering me a 64 rated player for Horford and 2 first round picks!

I haven't finished playing year 1 in association mode, but right now it really renders the game unplayable for me. Sigh.

I haven't tried to trade anyone since I like to stick with the default roster for the 1st season but I'll try it out next time I play and let you know if I see the same issue.

I just got the game last night and really like it so far, they've made some really nice improvements and I think it has surpassed Madden as my favorite sports game.

Alright so I tried the new trade system out last night and it is actually really cool! The star thing is the trade value for each player, which is independent of their player rating and it seems that the majority of the players in the league are between 1 and 2 stars and I think the reason you are getting countered with outrageous offers is because the player you are trying to trade has little value to that team. Try the "trade finder" feature where you select a player(s) and/or draft picks that you're looking to trade and press start and that will find about 25 or so offers from around the league for what you're looking to trade. I made several trades last night to strengthen the bench and while there are a few offers that I would never have considered most of them were very fair and all of them are legal trades. Here are the trades that I made using the trade finder.

Trade Finder Trades:

• Zaza for Chris Andersen (Birdman) - really nice defensive upgrade
  • '11 1st round / Mo Evans / Collins / Powell for Damion James and Anthony Morrow
  • '11 2nd round / Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter
  • '12 2nd round / Marvin for Andray Blatche

Free Agent Signings (to min. 1 year deals):

PG - Mike James (Teague got injured)

SF - Ime Udoka

C - Erik Dampier

So my new lineup is:

Bibby / Teague / M. James

JJ / JC / JC2

D. James / Udoka

Smoove / Blatche / Splitter

Horford / Andersen / Dampier / Thomas

With that lineup I have plenty of scoring ability in the back court and lots of physical defenders who are got shot blockers in the front court. And I was able to do that while only giving up this years first and a couple of useless 2nd round picks and all using the trade finder.

Alright so I tried the new trade system out last night and it is actually really cool! The star thing is the trade value for each player, which is independent of their player rating and it seems that the majority of the players in the league are between 1 and 2 stars and I think the reason you are getting countered with outrageous offers is because the player you are trying to trade has little value to that team. Try the "trade finder" feature where you select a player(s) and/or draft picks that you're looking to trade and press start and that will find about 25 or so offers from around the league for what you're looking to trade. I made several trades last night to strengthen the bench and while there are a few offers that I would never have considered most of them were very fair and all of them are legal trades. Here are the trades that I made using the trade finder.

Trade Finder Trades:

• Zaza for Chris Andersen (Birdman) - really nice defensive upgrade
  • '11 1st round / Mo Evans / Collins / Powell for Damion James and Anthony Morrow
  • '11 2nd round / Anthony Morrow for Tiago Splitter
  • '12 2nd round / Marvin for Andray Blatche

Free Agent Signings (to min. 1 year deals):

PG - Mike James (Teague got injured)

SF - Ime Udoka

C - Erik Dampier

So my new lineup is:

Bibby / Teague / M. James

JJ / JC / JC2

D. James / Udoka

Smoove / Blatche / Splitter

Horford / Andersen / Dampier / Thomas

With that lineup I have plenty of scoring ability in the back court and lots of physical defenders who are got shot blockers in the front court. And I was able to do that while only giving up this years first and a couple of useless 2nd round picks and all using the trade finder.

Yes, that works for the first part of the season, but as it goes on, for some reason the stars reduce. Literally, I had teams offering me 64 rated players for Al Horford and a first round pick (in trade messages).

However, I suspected it might have something to do with team chemistry. I played through the first season without trading anyone, even through I wanted to move Jamal to get some value off the contract and salary cap he eats up. I ended having the team make it to ECF and lost to Miami in 7 games. I ended the season with 90 team chem. This pulled all my stars back up to where they were. Horford at 5, Smith at 4.5, JJ 4.5, Marvin 2 or 3. Was able to SNT Crawford anyways, so it really worked out. In my second season all the stars seem to be staying high through the first month of the season.

As far as the game goes. It really is a VERY good sports game. I am still fiddling with the game sliders to get it to play evenly. Passing is really difficult until you break yourself of old passing habits. They really made FT shooting better as well. The animations are pretty smooth. Best of all they seem to have cut down on the endless in-game delays, like in 2k10 when the ref would just hold the ball.

Yes, that works for the first part of the season, but as it goes on, for some reason the stars reduce. Literally, I had teams offering me 64 rated players for Al Horford and a first round pick (in trade messages).

However, I suspected it might have something to do with team chemistry. I played through the first season without trading anyone, even through I wanted to move Jamal to get some value off the contract and salary cap he eats up. I ended having the team make it to ECF and lost to Miami in 7 games. I ended the season with 90 team chem. This pulled all my stars back up to where they were. Horford at 5, Smith at 4.5, JJ 4.5, Marvin 2 or 3. Was able to SNT Crawford anyways, so it really worked out. In my second season all the stars seem to be staying high through the first month of the season.

As far as the game goes. It really is a VERY good sports game. I am still fiddling with the game sliders to get it to play evenly. Passing is really difficult until you break yourself of old passing habits. They really made FT shooting better as well. The animations are pretty smooth. Best of all they seem to have cut down on the endless in-game delays, like in 2k10 when the ref would just hold the ball.

That's interesting I hadn't thought of team chemistry affecting the stars or the team rating, which makes sense now that several teams I've played have had team ratings of 10 points or more higher than the Hawks even though their players are inferior individually rated. I'm playing 9 minute quarters and only getting in a game or two every night so I'm still very early in the season but I tell you I REALLY love this game and have to say that it's the best sports game I have ever played. The biggest thing I'm having to get used to is the old passing habits of trying to push the ball up the court because they really play the passing lanes and when I get careless I turn the ball over too much. Shot blocking has gotten a lot more realistic and now that I've got Smith, Horford, Birdman, and Blatche I'm pretty tough defensively in the paint. Last night I got Teague back from injury and now that I'm used to the game I have to say it's nearly impossible to stop him from getting to the rim (so far at least). And like you said they did really cut down on the delays and so far (knock on wood) the game hasn't locked up on me at all. I just bought a new 250 GB XBOX 360 to play the game on and installed it on the hard drive and it never freezes or has animation issues, which I'm noticing more and more in the new Madden and in turn I'm playing that game less and less.

Have you played any of the Jordan games? I played the double nickle game against the Knicks and got 60 points and had over 55% shooting and got the win but I didn't notice that I had to have 2+ assists as well and I only had 1 assist so I failed the challenge and that annoyed me enough to where I haven't played that again but it was pretty cool getting to be Jordan and playing with and against all those retired players.

Have you played any of the Jordan games? I played the double nickle game against the Knicks and got 60 points and had over 55% shooting and got the win but I didn't notice that I had to have 2+ assists as well and I only had 1 assist so I failed the challenge and that annoyed me enough to where I haven't played that again but it was pretty cool getting to be Jordan and playing with and against all those retired players.

Haven't tried the Jordan games yet. I really like playing GM and managing through multiple seasons.

In this version I traded around to Devin Harris at PG. Ended having to trade Teague to get him, but managed to get another 1st rounder which I used to get up high in the first. Got a nice SF (74 rating) to replace MW.

Lineup

Harris

JJ

Yang (rookie)

Smith

Horford

MW 6th man

Jordan 16+ minutes/night

Perez (another rookie 66 rated 7'3" center)

In my second season I got the star reduction as well as the trade deadline approached. Yang, however, is still a 4 star player. The AI for the trades is really tweaked to try and keep trading down and take into account contract amount, length, and player age. JJ is pretty much untradable at this point (not that I wanted to).

Game play really is good. The passing thing is hard to get used to, but I'm now down to about 12-15 turn overs. Some of those are the stupid step out of bounds after a rebound variety (this is the only real bug they still need to correct). Playing at All-star level with most of my offensive sliders 45-47. I do have my defensive awareness turned up to 55 to keep games under 105 points.

The team I have the most trouble with is Orlando. Miami is really easy to crush. Wade is usually fantastic, but Bron-bron is terrible. Bosh is a nice complement he got 28 on me last night. Secret is to sit Horford up at the top of the key and have him out quick Big Z to the rim.

My favorite mode is 'My Player'. I've created defensive minded PF who was drafted by ... the Hawks (they desperately needed solid player for this position ;)). After getting starter role (about 15th-20th game) Atlanta traded Marvin and Jamal for Young and Hinrich (pipe dream) and Smoove was moved to 3 spot.

Hawks struggled throughout the season as they didn't have much help from me at offensive end (I shot 37% from the field) and finished with 44-38 record at 5th spot just to face Miami Heat at 1st round (yep). After RS my player was ROY and had 64 overall ranking (started at 40). We beat the Heat and now we're leading 3-2 in series vs Boston (KG is beasting in this game though).

My player has number of (sometimes really annoying) issues like ridiculous line-ups (Boykins with Bibby as backcourt) and rotation, wrong rating for some plays but it's still lot of fun to me. Actually I played only 3 "normal" games so far.

My favorite mode is 'My Player'. I've created defensive minded PF who was drafted by ... the Hawks (they desperately needed solid player for this position ;)). After getting starter role (about 15th-20th game) Atlanta traded Marvin and Jamal for Young and Hinrich (pipe dream) and Smoove was moved to 3 spot.

Hawks struggled throughout the season as they didn't have much help from me at offensive end (I shot 37% from the field) and finished with 44-38 record at 5th spot just to face Miami Heat at 1st round (yep). After RS my player was ROY and had 64 overall ranking (started at 40). We beat the Heat and now we're leading 3-2 in series vs Boston (KG is beasting in this game though).

My player has number of (sometimes really annoying) issues like ridiculous line-ups (Boykins with Bibby as backcourt) and rotation, wrong rating for some plays but it's still lot of fun to me. Actually I played only 3 "normal" games so far.

MP is a cool concept and I played; it a lot last year but it had(s) way too many annoyances. You basically have to adjust your game to what the CPU thinks is the right move to make. This isn't always the best basketball play though. You will get penalized for the right move way too often. If it did a better job of reward/punish It would be a better side game. I would like to see them perfect this in the future as it has a ton of potential.

Apparently the 1 star player trade rating is a bug in the game that happens in Association mode after you schedule the team to practice. Luckily there is a way to fix it and reset the player trade ratings and all you have to do is go to manage roster and then edit each player and adjust any of their sliders by 1 point (or more if you want to I suppose) and then save the player. That will get their trade value back to where it should be but unfortunately you have to do that for each player. Just make sure that you don't schedule any more practices after that though or the bug will happen again.

Apparently the 1 star player trade rating is a bug in the game that happens in Association mode after you schedule the team to practice. Luckily there is a way to fix it and reset the player trade ratings and all you have to do is go to manage roster and then edit each player and adjust any of their sliders by 1 point (or more if you want to I suppose) and then save the player. That will get their trade value back to where it should be but unfortunately you have to do that for each player. Just make sure that you don't schedule any more practices after that though or the bug will happen again.

That has to be one of the strangest bugs I've heard of. Thanks for the update and fix. It certainly explains what I was seing. Hope they get it fixed with a patch.

MP is a cool concept and I played; it a lot last year but it had(s) way too many annoyances. You basically have to adjust your game to what the CPU thinks is the right move to make. This isn't always the best basketball play though. You will get penalized for the right move way too often. If it did a better job of reward/punish It would be a better side game. I would like to see them perfect this in the future as it has a ton of potential.

Totally agree. After completing first season I'm not that much enthusiastic about playing the second one mostly because of all the issues it has. I just found out that my guy can't have more than 55 passing which is simply stupid. It would be enough to make it very expensive skill to prevent maximizing it by some kinds of players.

Totally agree. After completing first season I'm not that much enthusiastic about playing the second one mostly because of all the issues it has. I just found out that my guy can't have more than 55 passing which is simply stupid. It would be enough to make it very expensive skill to prevent maximizing it by some kinds of players.

Not enough. They did that last year and people would have 7 ft players than played like MJ. I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to have 300 pound Center that can run as fast as Jennings and can pass and dribble like Steve Nash. Also, they have made nice adjustment to have the system reward you for point saving files and not charging you with your man scoring when the defense switches.

Not enough. They did that last year and people would have 7 ft players than played like MJ. I'm sorry, but it is ridiculous to have 300 pound Center that can run as fast as Jennings and can pass and dribble like Steve Nash. Also, they have made nice adjustment to have the system reward you for point saving files and not charging you with your man scoring when the defense switches.

Well, game is hackable (i.e. amount of available skill points), so I see your point, but 55 is way to low for max passing to me (maybe I shouldn't have chose defensive style for my PF).

While adjustment in switching defense is nice it would be even nicer if it worked well. Sometimes my player is supposed to cover TWO guys at one time and is punished no matter which one scores. Also in transition a player who is much closer to attacked basket is sometimes assigned so there the only thing you can do is to hope that your teammates will stop that guy. You're punished for bad steal attempt or bad block attempt even when there are no consequences of your play. It's like punishing for pump fake if defender doesn't buy it.

I'm playing 2nd season anyway ;), ranked around #3700.

Well, game is hackable (i.e. amount of available skill points), so I see your point, but 55 is way to low for max passing to me (maybe I shouldn't have chose defensive style for my PF).

While adjustment in switching defense is nice it would be even nicer if it worked well. Sometimes my player is supposed to cover TWO guys at one time and is punished no matter which one scores. Also in transition a player who is much closer to attacked basket is sometimes assigned so there the only thing you can do is to hope that your teammates will stop that guy. You're punished for bad steal attempt or bad block attempt even when there are no consequences of your play. It's like punishing for pump fake if defender doesn't buy it.

I'm playing 2nd season anyway ;), ranked around #3700.

I'm about 20 + games in. Hall of Fame is pretty tough this year on a bad team. I'm on the grizzlies and we are down 14 some nights before I even get in the game.