• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks begun preliminary talks for Carmelo Anthony

Joker

• Premium Member

With that trade, my question would be how badly we want to stay competitive. Who would play defense on the perimeter?

I'm of the opinion that Joe's perimeter D is overrated, so my answer would be: the same guys that already suck at it.

I'm of the opinion that Joe's perimeter D is overrated, so my answer would be: the same guys that already suck at it.

I think Joe is a damn good defender on the perimeter. I wouldn't trade him plus he's the perfect Robin. Him and Horford are championship pieces.

Not if you're so negative about it, they won't. I'm trying to swindle the Nuggets over here, so a little help would be appreciated.

His contract is swindle-less. It's an abomination for a rebuilding team and we aren't trading Horford so Smith is the only one we are trading if we want Nene or Billups as well.

• Premium Member

I think Joe is a damn good defender on the perimeter.

When he's not having to carry the team offensively or having to cover quicker guys, he's solid. He uses his strength advantage well. Truthfully, it's really hard to evaluate the defensive effectiveness of the Hawks' wings because of how poorly their guards defend and how often they (used to) switch.Either way, losing Joe's defense would be far less significant than losing Smith's.

It's an abomination for a rebuilding team

I'm suggesting they make this trade to avoid rebuilding. The difference between Joe and Carmelo isn't as large as the media would have us believe.

When he's not having to carry the team offensively or having to cover quicker guys, he's solid. He uses his strength advantage well. Truthfully, it's really hard to evaluate the defensive effectiveness of the Hawks' wings because of how poorly their guards defend and how often they (used to) switch.Either way, losing Joe's defense would be far less significant than losing Smith's.I'm suggesting they make this trade to avoid rebuilding. The difference between Joe and Carmelo isn't as large as the media would have us believe.

Agreed about Smith overall impact> Joe's but Smith is much much more valuable on the market while Joe is important to us but not to the market. If they trade Melo, they are rebuilding, no need to believe otherwise. He's a top 7-10 player and those aren't easy to find. They could have something with Lawson and Josh Smith. Here are the ideal fair deals which favors both teams:Smoove/Marvin/Evans/Bibby/2011 1st for Melo/Billups/HarringtonorSmoove/Jamal/Marvin/Zaza for Melo/Nene/Harrington/J.R. Smithor lesser deal that slightly favors DenverSmoove/Jamal/Marvin/Zaza for Melo/Nene/Harrington/BirdmanBad deals for us:Smoove/Jamal/Evans for Melo/Billups/Harrington/BalkmanThis deal weaken our bench, weaken the defense by a mile, and takes away our best option to get a legit center in a trade in Jamal Crawford off the table.Smoove for Melo straight upOffense gets a lot better, defense gets a lot worst, we don't improve and still are weak at PG/C.Deals where we have to trade a lot of picks and take back crap like Balkman. Harrington, Birdman, J.R. Smith are useful but Balkman, Carter, and Ely are not. Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

For reference sake, the Rockets will have the ability to offer:1. Yao Ming's insurance-backed expiring2. Cash (their owner is open to spending over the luxury tax)3. Other veteran expirings (Battier, Jeffries, Hayes, etc.).4. A TPE up to $6.3M5. Cheap, but productive young guys like Hill or BudingerTo compete with that offer, the Hawks will have to:1. Trade Smith,2. Trade Joe, or3. Pray that the Nuggets don't want to send him to a WC team or NYIf the Hawks are willing to take on the luxury tax for this season, they can offer Jamal/Evans/Sy/2011 first for Anthony alone. That saves the Nuggets around $3.5M, sends Anthony to a non-enemy, and keeps them competitive (Jamal).

Edited by mrhonline

For reference sake, the Rockets will have the ability to offer:

1. Yao Ming's insurance-backed expiring

2. Cash (their owner is open to spending over the luxury tax)

3. Other veteran expirings (Battier, Jeffries, Hayes, etc.).

4. A TPE up to $6.3M

5. Cheap, but productive young guys like Hill or Budinger

To compete with that offer, the Hawks will have to:

1. Trade Smith,

2. Trade Joe, or

3. Pray that the Nuggets don't want to send him to a WC team or NY

If the Hawks are willing to take on the luxury tax for this season, they can offer Jamal/Evans/Sy/2011 first for Anthony alone. That saves the Nuggets around $3.5M, sends Anthony to a non-enemy, and keeps them competitive (Jamal).

The Rockets aren't giving that to Denver without an extension. That's what we could have over other teams? An extension. Our competition is New York and that's a knockout for us. The only thing is we will ask for a lot while NY will just ask for Melo. They will offer Kevin Martin or someone that's replaceable. If they could get an ext it might be different but they can't. The thing is Melo wants to play for a contender. If we have Melo, Joe, Horford, and Nene or Bibby/Jamal. That's three All Stars, one top 10 center or a former All Star and the best 6th man in the league in one of the better cities in the USA.

Back the Houston assets. What could Houston really offer Melo? He wants to play for a contender, Houston not that. Yao? Yao can walk this summer from Denver. That's meaningless to them. Those vets are just like our vets but better and no one is dying to have Bibby right now as with Battier or Hayes. Hill and Budinger are role players. Once again, we still offer a better deal on a much better team. If we play our cards right, we can come of this legit contenders.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Give them Smoove, Teague, Crawford, 1st rd pick for Nene/Melo and call it a day.BibbyJJMeloHorfordNeneThat will get u to the ECF. If we could only get a legit PG

Then after he doesn't resign with the Hawks and skips (little kid style) to New York, then what is our team gonna look like?? You guys kill me with all of these Josh Smith trade scenarios, as if he is bad for this team. If you wanna be smart about this you only trade a valuable asset (Josh Smith) if you are sure Carmelo will resign, otherwise Josh, Al, and maybe Joe stays.

I think Melo would agree to resign with the Hawks before any trade is made . We would not give up Smoove for a one year rental .There is no way they add Nene no matter what mentioning that is simply crazy hes worth more than what we could offer .Smoove,Bibby,Zaza,Marvin 1st rd pick for Melo,Chauncey,Birdman Jr smith and Nene are free agents so they will probably trade jr smith for a pick and resign Nene . They will also look to trade harrington and Kmart is a expiring as well The Nuggets are heading into the draft with Nene,ZazaSmoove/harringtonMarvin /harringtonAffaloTy Lawson /BibbyThey could also use there expirings they have this year to try and grab someone else at the deadline Aaron Brooks is a free agent I wouldnt be surprised if they try and grab him via free agency The Nuggets would have a ton of flexibility over the next two years to reshape there team and would be in much better shape than the Cavs or Raptors .

• Premium Member

If Melo was traded for.. regardless of how it happened.Would Hawks fans fill the Phil?Would there be sellouts every night?Is Melo a "superstar" that the city will back?Joe + Melo + Horf = Season ticket sales?