• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks begun preliminary talks for Carmelo Anthony

Joker

I'm leaning towards this beign doable for a few reasons:1. We are most likely having a lockout2. If Melo comes here and we make a run to the finals, fans will pretty much forget it by the time we play again.3. If Melo comes and we lose in the first round, fans will pretty much forget it by the time we play again.4. Because of the lockout the ASG could be suddenly aflush with cash from the Thrashers sale and the doors being shut on Hawks operations.5. Because of the lockout Sund and Coach will have an extended period of time to change Melo's mind about staying.6. Because of the lockout Sund will have an even stronger negotiating point once the new CBA is known quantity.

I can't get all excited until the insufferable Chris Broussard has something concrete. But still, I gotta be a little pumped about the prospect of the Possibly Second Best All-Time Modern Atlanta Hawk on the phone with the brass, no matter how poor said brass is.

• Premium Member

Lala is from atlanta. Her family is here as well...

and that's 1 reason he's not coming. No way in hell I'd move closer to my wife's in-laws.

If Melo was traded for.. regardless of how it happened.Would Hawks fans fill the Phil?Would there be sellouts every night?Is Melo a "superstar" that the city will back?Joe + Melo + Horf = Season ticket sales?

Yes.I do not want Josh moved.I'm hoping Marvin plays "lights out".

If moving somewhere in your teens makes you from there then sure. Melo also moved to Baltimore when he was near ten but they were both born and initially raised in Brooklyn. I doubt both their entire family trees uprooted themselves either.

Yep High School at Redan, a brother at Mays. When people live in Atlanta, they tend to stay. Lala has close, close family and friends here. The industry she loves is here also. Both Carmelo and Lala can thrive here. They would without a doubt be a power couple in Atlanta. And yes, Dwight would notice as well as CP3. In fact CP3 was sure BK was going draft him. Edited by Swatguy

Yep High School at Redan, a brother at Mays. When people live in Atlanta, they tend to stay. Lala has close, close family and friends here. The industry she loves is here also. Both Carmelo and Lala can thrive here. They would without a doubt be a power couple in Atlanta. And yes, Dwight would notice as well as CP3. In fact CP3 was sure BK was going draft him.

What I don't get is....she started her career here then moved on to bigger better things in NY and LA. Why would she return here again for those purposes? Whatever you can do entertainment wise in Atlanta you can do bigger and better in NY/LA, there's simply no debating that.

• Premium Member

Yep High School at Redan, a brother at Mays. When people live in Atlanta, they tend to stay. Lala has close, close family and friends here. The industry she loves is here also. Both Carmelo and Lala can thrive here. They would without a doubt be a power couple in Atlanta. And yes, Dwight would notice as well as CP3. In fact CP3 was sure BK was going draft him.

Yeah he was sure. He had his best workout here and everything. I guess the joke's on him!Excellent work BK. :computer8: Edited by hawkman

Yep High School at Redan, a brother at Mays. When people live in Atlanta, they tend to stay. Lala has close, close family and friends here. The industry she loves is here also. Both Carmelo and Lala can thrive here. They would without a doubt be a power couple in Atlanta. And yes, Dwight would notice as well as CP3. In fact CP3 was sure BK was going draft him.Mays reference. I'm standing up.It's widely thought that Atlanta, then Washington D.C. are easily the most preferred places to live for Black "Elite." Why this city isn't sold more, and successfully, to African-American Athletes that the city will actually care about is beyond me. I wouldn't want it done as blatantly and distastefully as the Thrashers, but at least they were proactive.

Edited by benhillboy

Melo is a one trick pony but that's what the glitz and glamor Atlanta sports fans wants. We don't care about the stuff that doesn't make sports center. We want 3 point shots, 50 yrd bomb passes, 1st-round knockouts, and sky-scraping dunks. Melo and Atlanta would be a match made in heaven. All flash and no substance. Even without the extension I say do it. This core isn't winning a title so what's the purpose behind this madness? Sell out a few games this year the start the rebuilding process through the draft. Maybe the Hawks get lucky next time around and drafts a player on the level of a LeBron, Wade, or Melo. Wouldn't it be nice to have years of championship level basketball and sellout crowds vs an half empty arena and no chance of winning a title?

Not to mention the cap space we'd have next year if he didnt sign an extension. And btw, I hate when people speak for the entire city of Atlanta. Edited by terrell

What I don't get is....she started her career here then moved on to bigger better things in NY and LA. Why would she return here again for those purposes? Whatever you can do entertainment wise in Atlanta you can do bigger and better in NY/LA, there's simply no debating that.

Well, the industry is moving in all three places.Opportunities in Atlanta do not exist in many other places. Lala would have less resistance for sucess here. Lala would have the same or more following here. Atlanta has the second most African-Americans in the country behind NY. Music and Movie/tv are here on a worldwide level.

I'd be hoping for Lala to be Suchita's replacement at fox5 (i miss here). She would be bigger here on the airwaves than NY or LA. She did WHUR in D.C as she did Atlanta and LA. You notice, Ice Cube produces TV at Turner. The progression is the screen for her and there is a platform here for her.

Come on guys, Melo is a much better scorer than Big Dog. Seriously, Big Dog. That's like comparing Joe Johnson to John Salmons. A big difference in a talent level. I wouldn't trade Smoove unless we were getting Smoove/Marvin for Melo/Billups or Smoove/Jamal for Melo/Nene and Melo has the sign an ext in all the deals unless it's just for Jamal and Marvin.

• Like 1

I agree that we need a pg really bad, but i feel like if we could get Melo and Nene for Crawford/Smoove/Marvin then we will be a lot better. Our starting lineup could be:Nene/Zaza/CollinsHorford/PowellCarmelo/MoJJ/JC2Bibby/TeagueI think that with this lineup we could content. It takes care of our worries with a center (Nene is a pretty decent center), it puts Horford back at his true position and it takes pressure off of JJ. It gives Denver Smoove who i think would work GREAT with Ty Lawson, and they get Marvin who is a DECENT sf. They also get the reigning 6th man (possible back to back this year). Another trade that I feel would be awesome but less likely would be Melo/Nene/J.R Smith for Smoove/Jamal/Marvin/Teague. This would fill a bench spot that we would lose with Jamal leaving. I think that most of us agree that Teague has been a big disappointment as well as Marvin. Also, Jamal said earlier that he was looking forward to being able to choose where he plays next year. So in my opinion we should get something out of him.I am considering that Carmelo would sign an extension with us after this year.

Well, the industry is moving in all three places.Opportunities in Atlanta do not exist in many other places. Lala would have less resistance for sucess here. Lala would have the same or more following here. Atlanta has the second most African-Americans in the country behind NY. Music and Movie/tv are here on a worldwide level. I'd be hoping for Lala to be Suchita's replacement at fox5 (i miss here). She would be bigger here on the airwaves than NY or LA. She did WHUR in D.C as she did Atlanta and LA. You notice, Ice Cube produces TV at Turner. The progression is the screen for her and there is a platform here for her.

1) She very clearly want's to go mainstream given her friends and where she lives now. I think it should be rather clear what "mainstream" is.2) They are both very much Hispanic as they are African American. Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

I hear you and agree that Melo was amazing in college but so were Sean Mays and JJ Reddick and I am just not seeing the greatness from Melo in the NBA that would put him in the same breath as guys like Wade, Kobe, Durant, Duncan, Dwight, Paul, Deron, Dirk, or Lebron. As a scorer, I have a hard time distinguishing what he has done in the NBA from what Joe Johnson has done from age 23 forward. My comparison to Big Dog is more on the side of "ultimately not raising the team to contender statust" and less "Big Dog = Carmelo." That is why I asked if he might be a "rich man's" Carmelo.

Dirk ? KD ? Carmelo is a better player than Dirk if you ask me and it's no comparison. KD's situation is different, but I still believe Carmelo is the more versatile offensive player and last I checked he's a better rebounder. Carmelo is definitely a superstar and definitely one of this generation's great players.

• Admin

I agree that we need a pg really bad, but i feel like if we could get Melo and Nene for Crawford/Smoove/Marvin then we will be a lot better. Our starting lineup could be:Nene/Zaza/CollinsHorford/PowellCarmelo/MoJJ/JC2Bibby/TeagueI think that with this lineup we could content. It takes care of our worries with a center (Nene is a pretty decent center), it puts Horford back at his true position and it takes pressure off of JJ. It gives Denver Smoove who i think would work GREAT with Ty Lawson, and they get Marvin who is a DECENT sf. They also get the reigning 6th man (possible back to back this year). Another trade that I feel would be awesome but less likely would be Melo/Nene/J.R Smith for Smoove/Jamal/Marvin/Teague. This would fill a bench spot that we would lose with Jamal leaving. I think that most of us agree that Teague has been a big disappointment as well as Marvin. Also, Jamal said earlier that he was looking forward to being able to choose where he plays next year. So in my opinion we should get something out of him.I am considering that Carmelo would sign an extension with us after this year.

The bench is extremely weak and Teague is going to have to step up

• Premium Member

Not to mention the cap space we'd have next year if he didnt sign an extension. And btw, I hate when people speak for the entire city of Atlanta.

actually I was only talking the people on the north side.

• Moderators

We traded him to the Sixers, then they traded him to the Hornets where he was waived and then signed with the Spurs so he played for 5 teams total.

That is apples to oranges. His career was over by the time the Sixers dealt him. He never played a game for Toronto and was only cap relief and then played 4 games with the Spurs after being unable to play for more than a year before retiring for good. While Robinson was a viable player, he really wasn't moved that much. Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Dirk ? KD ? Carmelo is a better player than Dirk if you ask me and it's no comparison. KD's situation is different, but I still believe Carmelo is the more versatile offensive player and last I checked he's a better rebounder. Carmelo is definitely a superstar and definitely one of this generation's great players.

Carmelo is scoring at a .525 ts% clip this season.

Durant is scoring at a VASTLY better .588 clip. A prime Dirk scored at a vastly more efficient .589 clip (age 27).

In fact, Carmelo's career high scoring efficiency (.568 ts%) is MUCH worse than both of their career averages. Carmelo is no where near as good a scorer as either of them.

In fact, Dirk is in his 12th consecutive season of scoring more efficiently than Carmelo has scored in any of the last 3 years. There just is not argument that Carmelo is the more effective scorer.

Overall, Dirk's career average PER And WS/48 are better than Carmelo's career high. Dirk and Durant look much better::

Dirk - Current PER 23.9, Career Average PER 23.8, Career High PER 28.1, Current WS/48 .204, Career Average WS/48 .213, Career HIgh WS/48 .278

Carmelo - Current PER 20.8, Career Average PER 20.1, Career High PER 22.2, Current WS/48 .110, Career Average WS/48 .124, Career High WS/48 .153

Durant - Current PER 23.1, Career Average PER 21.5, Career High PER 26.2, Current WS/48 .165, Career Average WS/48 .145, Career High WS/48 .238

Carmelo can't sniff their jocks to this point in his career.

Let's not overrate him just because he is being mentioned in the same sentence as the Hawks. This is a guy who hasn't measured up to either Durant or Dirk and who actually has been significantly worse the last 3 years than he was his the 3 years before that. He can't measure up to their standards and his career trajectory isn't moving in the right direction over the last 3 years.

That isn't to say he isn't an excellent player but he isn't in that second tier of stars like Durant and Dirk except by reputation, IMO.

• Like 1