• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official Jordan Crawford Watch Thread

• Moderators

Just to revisit. I'm having the good fortune of watching my first JC2 game of the season now. Forget the inefficient shooting and total lack of court vision or shot selection. The man doesn't even pretend to care about defense. I don't care enough to check, but I'm guessing that any lineup with him, Andray Blatche, and Javale McGee all on the floor at the same time ranked among the worst defensive 5-man units in the league.

Everyone has flaws and makes mistakes (which we love to point out) but I think this can be filed under the "GMs and Coaches have forgotten more about basketball than I'll ever know category". Who remembers thinking Ed Grey should get more PT.

• 4 months later...

Watching Jordan last year was like watching an old roller coaster. One of those coasters on a wooden frame that creaks all the time, but is thrilling nonetheless. Only a little gain as a player, with Jamal like shot selection.Like a lot of gunners, if Jordan just laid off of the 3 point shot, he'd be a much more efficient player. He shot an above average 42% on shots 16 - 23 ft, but only 29% from three. Like Jamal, he has enough ball handling skill to pretty much get anywhere he wants. But like his "foster cousin", he falls in love with a 3 point shot he's not good at shooting.The legacy of the Jordan C. for Hinrich trade may not be Jordan . . . but it may be the 18th pick in the 1st round we gave the Wiz. They chose Chris Singleton with that selection. But you know who else was on the board?

Now imagine THAT GUY on the Hawks, with the team we've assembled at the backup PF. And we'd still have Jordan C as the gunner at the 2. Actually, when Horford went down, this would've been our squad LAST YEARPG - Teague - PargoG - Johnson - JordanF - Marvin - McGradyPF - Smith - FariedC - Zaza - IvanThere would be no need for Ivan, with Faried here. But if Ivan was still added to the team . . talk about the amount of "energy" you could bring in a ballgame with Jordan, Faried, and Ivan. Even on the current team, maybe the Hawks pass on drafting John Jenkins, and draft Jeff Taylor, if Jordan and Faried were here. Here would be your 2012 - 13 HawksPG - Teague - WilliamsG - Harris - JordanF - Morrow - TaylorPF - Smith- FariedC - Horford - ZazaJordan, Faried, and Taylor would be a very young and energetic group to bring in a game. Add Lou Williams and Zaza to that trio, and you'd have a very good bench to roll with.I'll say that Jordan's days are numbered in Washington. They've brought in both Nick Young and Bradley Beal, so that will definitely take shots away from the kid. Might as well ship him to Orlando. Edited by northcyde

Watching Jordan last year was like watching an old roller coaster. One of those coasters on a wooden frame that creaks all the time, but is thrilling nonetheless. Only a little gain as a player, with Jamal like shot selection.

He DID outplay Jamal though last year. And had a decent stretch ( for him ) in February and March. Like I said, if the kid lays off the 3-ball, he'd be a much better player.

What happened to Bibby from your lineup projections? Does he decide to take a near full buyout from the Hawks too? With him still in the lineup 2 years ago chances are the Hawks don't make it out the 1st round in another historically bad fashion and head for rebuild sooner meaning it's all rather moot prognosticating who should have been picked and potential current lineups when you overlooked the most glaring reason behind making that deal 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to Bibby from your lineup projections? Does he decide to take a near full buyout from the Hawks too? With him still in the lineup 2 years ago chances are the Hawks don't make it out the 1st round in another historically bad fashion and head for rebuild sooner meaning it's all rather moot prognosticating who should have been picked and potential current lineups when you overlooked the most glaring reason behind making that deal 2 years ago.

You either buy out or amnesty Bibby. Of course, that trade was made before the new CBA gave an amnesty clause to NBA teams. The amnesty clause, however, would've been like a Get out of Jail Free card for the Hawks to get rid of Bibby.

But now, the only Hawk that can be amnestied, is Al Horford. JJ and Marvin have been traded, and Smith, Teague, and Zaza wll sign new contracts next season. So Horford is the last guy left they can amnesty.

As for that horrific trade, the Hawks made that trade to simply avoid even paying a little Luxury Tax in 2011 - 12. And the crazy thing is that they STILL played Luxury Tax last year. So we traded Bibby and 2 First round picks to avoid paying the tax . . . but we still paid the tax because we added Jerry Stackhouse and Erick Dampier?

Bibby was set make 6.22 million in the final year of his deal in 2011 - 12. These are last year's Hawks salaries if he were still on the team. And remember, had we not made that trade, there is also no Kirk Hinrich and his 8 million final year deal on the squad.

Johnson: 18.04m

Smith: 12.4m

Horford: 12m ( Shamsports had him at 12.49m, so I'll use both numbers if necessary )

Marvin: 7.5m

Bibby: 6.22m

Zaza: 4.75m

Teague: 1.58m

Faried: 1.25m

Crawford: 1.12m

McGrady: .85m

Collins: .85m

Green: .85m

Pargo: .85m

Radmanovic: .85m

Stackhouse: .85m

Ivan: .47m

Dampier: .39m

Total salary: 70.82m

* if you add the extra 499K they have Horford making, that number climbs to 71.31

So let's use the higher number. At 71.31, we're 1 million above the Luxury Tax line. Who do you cut ( or not sign in the first place ) to get below the line? And I won't amnesty Bibby. I'll keep him on the squad.

Johnson: 18.04m

Smith: 12.4m

Horford: 12m ( Shamsports had him at 12.49m, so I'll use both numbers if necessary )

Marvin: 7.5m

Bibby: 6.22m

Zaza: 4.75m

Teague: 1.58m

Faried: 1.25m

Crawford: 1.12m

McGrady: .85m

Collins: .85m

Green: .85m

Pargo: .85m

Radmanovic: .85m

Stackhouse: .85m

Ivan: .47m

Dampier: .39m

71.31m - 2.09m = 69.22m

As the rapper Future would say . . . "Voila . . Magic"

And heck, I'd cut Radmanovic's garbage azz and just keep Papy Sy ( @ .79m in 2011 - 12 ) on the squad as a defensive option to put in the game. So that would've saved us an additiona 100K had we gone that route. But the Hawks could've simply gone with 13 players, if they were that scared to death to pay the Luxury Tax. If that's the case, even a guy like Ivan isn't needed on that team.

And as far as the Hawks not making out of the 1st round if Bibby was on the squad and we didn't have Hinrich, who cares? That trade wasn't going to put us in the EC Finals or NBA Finals. That trade was made for fnancial reasons only. So why even make the trade? Only the Hawks would do a damn trade like that. Only we would give up two 1st round picks to bring in a journeyman defensive combo guard.

When Bibby started to become highly ineffective, his role on the team shoud've been switched with Teague. Let Teague start and play 12 - 20 minutes per game, with Bibby coming off of the bench as a specialty player. Jamal was going to play 30+ minutes a game anyway, so just play Teague with the starters to begin the game, and let Bibby become the 3rd PG.

Poo-poo it all you want. The Hawks did what they usually do with personnel decisions . . . (( bleep )) it up.

Heck, Faried may have even made a guy like Josh Smith expendible, giving us an incentive to trade him for assets, instead of possibly being forced to overpay for him just like we did with JJ.

Edited by northcyde

That trade was made for fnancial reasons only.

How the hell did I miss this response? How does someone rationalize trading for a more expensive player owed the same number of years a trade done for "financial reasons only"? It just made the rest of your paragraph entirely moot if not altogether asinine.

Bibby was traded because he couldn't perform on the court anymore....not finances. It was due to the fact that he could no longer perform on the court that such a "high" sweetener had to be added to him.....We moved him specifically for a defensive guard.....said defensive guard had the impact of turning the Hawks from the worst playoff blowout in history with Bibby to moving on past the Magic.....If the Hawks had lost two years straight to the Magic in embarassing fashion the team would of headed for this "rebuild" a lot sooner and there's nothing that Faried could do to change that.

• Moderators

Like a lot of gunners, if Jordan just laid off of the 3 point shot, he'd be a much more efficient player. He shot an above average 42% on shots 16 - 23 ft, but only 29% from three. Like Jamal, he has enough ball handling skill to pretty much get anywhere he wants. But like his "foster cousin", he falls in love with a 3 point shot he's not good at shooting.

42% from 16-23 ft = 42% ts% 29% from 3pt range = 43.5% ts% If Crawford replaced his 3pt shots with the 2's for which you commend him, he would be a less efficient scorer. If he took a step back on those 16-23 ft shots and took the 3, he would actually be a more efficient scorer (%s being equal in both cases).

• 2 months later...

42% from 16-23 ft = 42% ts% 29% from 3pt range = 43.5% ts% If Crawford replaced his 3pt shots with the 2's for which you commend him, he would be a less efficient scorer. If he took a step back on those 16-23 ft shots and took the 3, he would actually be a more efficient scorer (%s being equal in both cases).

He would also be a more erratic scorer. A guy that you couldn't count on, on a nightly basis or even every 3 games. His fluctuations would be even greater. This year, Jordan is currently shooting 67% from 16 - 23 FT . . and 33% from 3 point range ( 50% eFG ). Problem is, he's only taking 1.2 shots per game from long 2, and 4.2 from 3 point range. He, like a lot of players, settle too much for a wide open shot that they can't consistently knock down, instead of working for a higher percentage shot that they can make.

• Moderators

He would also be a more erratic scorer. A guy that you couldn't count on, on a nightly basis or even every 3 games. His fluctuations would be even greater. This year, Jordan is currently shooting 67% from 16 - 23 FT . . and 33% from 3 point range ( 50% eFG ). Problem is, he's only taking 1.2 shots per game from long 2, and 4.2 from 3 point range. He, like a lot of players, settle too much for a wide open shot that they can't consistently knock down, instead of working for a higher percentage shot that they can make.

The point wasn't to restart the debate on this consistency versus efficiency issue. It was to point out that he was not effective from anywhere last year. The very shots that stunk last year (the 29% 3pt shots) were actually more efficient than the ugly 2 pt fg%. His team was better off with someone else taking a better shot than either Crawford for a long 2 or Crawford for 3.

• Admin

The point wasn't to restart the debate on this consistency versus efficiency issue. It was to point out that he was not effective from anywhere last year. The very shots that stunk last year (the 29% 3pt shots) were actually more efficient than the ugly 2 pt fg%. His team was better off with someone else taking a better shot than either Crawford for a long 2 or Crawford for 3.

Yes jc2 is a great example of a player who puts up stats but his team is worse for it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Congrats to Jordan for cracking the top 10 in NBA efficiency for shooting guards ( 9th in the league at this moment ). Not that it's a great rating ( 14.3 ), but it's a career high for Jordan.December numbers:19.1 pts5.1 rebs6.1 asst41% FG34% 3FGGood job man.

He's definitely improving, but what's his NJSI rating??

• 2 weeks later...

LMAO @ the title above my non-pic.

I went from the Hall of Fame . . . to Jordan's #1 fan.

HILARIOUS.

Jordan should be our starting 2 guard these days . . . or at least the 'gunner' off the bench. Drew gave up on him way too early. Jordan will play in this league 10+ years.

LOL the title seemed appropriate given your love for JC2. I don't know that LD gave up on JC2, it could have been Sund or maybe neither of them gave up on him but they couldn't have made the Hinrich trade without including him. I'm still not crazy about him though and wish him well on other teams as I believe he'll be a journeyman bench player for his career.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy Wittman is killing my fantasy team by not giving Jordan minutes. He wants him to be an "instant offense" type of scorer, when he knows good and well that Jordan is like an old car, and needs warming up sometimes.

7 straight games for Jordan under double figure points. 31% FG and 3FG shooting. 5 TOTAL assists in that stretch. Only 15 minutes per game with him not even getting over 6 minutes in the last 2 games.

If he doesn't get traded quickly, I may have to drop him from my fantasy team. He's been a solid backup guard for me all year, up until this recent stretch of games. John Wall coming back actually reduced the need to play him as much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Did anyone else notice that SUPERIORBLOGMAN knew about Lucas before any of us? Just look at his avatar. The man was a prophet. I'm sorry, I mean the SUPERIORBLOGMAN was a prophet.

(PS Jordan Crawford was snubbed for the All-NBA Team)

I'm guessing that SBM came back and updated his avatar, for whatever reason, as I'm pretty sure it didn't use to be that. Being banned won't keep someone from updating their profile... or at least I don't think it will.