• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks To Be Sold

atlhawks4life

Wow. When asked if the team needs to bring in a center to help fellow latino Al Horford he said " we dont need no steeenking center". Talking about Jeff Teague he was heard to mutter " say hello to my little friend."Im not sure what to think put I guess its better than better bball, better players, Papa Hawks. Dam Im still pizzzed they banned the Speedy Gonzalez toons because they were great. Hopefully he will not go down in flames like Tony Montana.Two words for Rick Sund " ADDIOS AMIGOS.....

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Doesn't show up as a Forbes 400 guy... so we're not getting Mark Cuban II here, and he does not yet show up as a billionaire... but it's encouraging to hear that he plans to maintain some residence in ATL after the purchase (if I understood correctly).http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=5985339&privcapId=1002666&previousCapId=319450&previousTitle=William%20Lyon%20Homes

To Our Hawks Fans,Today it was reported that our current owners, Atlanta Spirit LLC, signed an agreement to sell a majority ownership stake in the Atlanta Hawks and Philips Arena operating rights to The Meruelo Group. Completion of the sale is subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors, which is expected to occur later this year.Our ultimate goal has always been and will continue to be bringing championship basketball and world class entertainment to Philips Arena and the city of Atlanta. We value and appreciate your support, and look forward to sharing many more unforgettable moments with you, our fans.Sincerely,Bob WilliamsPresident, Atlanta Hawks & Philips Arena

Nice knowing ya!
  • Like 1

I wonder where Sund stands with him. Sund has done some bad in his time here but he atleast was able to draft the last starting point guard since Rumeal Robinson back in 1990. Also am wondering where Josh fits in his plans because we all know Horf ain't going no where now. Josh is the de facto face of the franchise but I can see Meruelo pushing HARD for alot of Horford endorsements.

I read that his net worth is 14.5 bilion.......... wow :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

I doubt it. I don't see his name in the Forbes 400 wealthiest Americans, where the list starts at $1 billion. So it doesn't look like he's a billionaire. If it was $14.5 billion, then he'd be one of top 50 wealthiest people in the world, which would be great for the team, but sadly this isn't the case. Edited by Yubs

As a Hawks fan in Hollywood, who came home today to a Pizza Loca ad on his gate, I feel like I should start supporting. Hahaha.Seriously, too bad that this didn't happen earlier so we could have had a chance at getting Pritchard in here before he took a job with Indy.Anyway, hopefully good news. I hope this means good things for the team's future, but with the damn lockout we could be some many months before we see any real moves.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a single owner, but who knows how dedicated this guy is to winning. We'll see. A latino pizza guy should have more heart than your average suit.

Actually I read that he is keeping on minority owner(s) from the old ASG...but that he is in charge (51%)...for financial purposes I suppose. :stirthepot: Your Atlanta Spirit Group - a bunch of fairly wealthy dumb asses who didn't know what they were getting into.Bradley said that the guy "had guts" to buy a team when they were in a lockout. Personally I think this is the perfect time to buy...once the whole confusion is over we will no longer have guarranteed contracts for guys who put up 16 points a night on 18 shots and don't play defense. :kickcan: Edited by DJlaysitup

• Admin

Actually I read that he is keeping on minority owner(s) from the old ASG...but that he is in charge (51%)...for financial purposes I suppose. :stirthepot:

Your Atlanta Spirit Group - a bunch of fairly wealthy dumb asses who didn't know what they were getting into.

Bradley said that the guy "had guts" to buy a team when they were in a lockout. Personally I think this is the perfect time to buy...once the whole confusion is over we will no longer have guarranteed contracts for guys who put up 16 points a night on 18 shots and don't play defense. :kickcan:

His BIO

Alex Meruelo Bio – New Atlanta Hawks Owner

The Atlanta Hakws have a new owner: Alex Meruelo. Although he is from California, he plans to keep the NBA team in the city of Atlanta. Who is the new owner of the Hawks?

Here's an Alex Meruelo bio: -Alex Meruelo is the CEO and President of La Pizza Loca, a pizza chain in California that has about 50 locations.

-Alex Meruelo is the CEO and President of Cantamar Property Management. In all, this company owns more than 1,000 units and developments.

-Alex Meruelo is the CEO and President of Meruelo Enterprises. This company focuses on construction.

-Alex Meruelo is the CEO and President of The Meruelo Group. This investment firm purchased, at a price of nearly $43 million, Reno's Grand Sierra Resort.

-Alex Meruelo is a Director at the Commercial Bank of California, ExaDigm and William Lyon Homes.

Edited by capstone21

• Premium Member

I doubt it. I don't see his name in the Forbes 400 wealthiest Americans, where the list starts at $1 billion. So it doesn't look like he's a billionaire. If it was $14.5 billion, then he'd be one of top 50 wealthiest people in the world, which would be great for the team, but sadly this isn't the case.

Maybe what Popeye read was "$14.5 Million" in net worth... after all the acquisitions he's been making, I wouldn't rule it out. Sure hope not. :S

As a Hawks fan in Hollywood, who came home today to a Pizza Loca ad on his gate, I feel like I should start supporting. Hahaha.Seriously, too bad that this didn't happen earlier so we could have had a chance at getting Pritchard in here before he took a job with Indy.Anyway, hopefully good news. I hope this means good things for the team's future, but with the damn lockout we could be some many months before we see any real moves.

alright! fellow LA Hawks fan! thought i was all alone in my principles...lol. but is pizza loca any good?

• Premium Member

The Business Week bio (link in my first post)...Alex Meruelo serves as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Meruelo Enterprises Inc., Cantamar Property Management Inc., and La Pizza Loca Inc. Mr. Meruelo has invested extensively in residential and commercial real estate throughout Southern California since 1987, primarily in Hispanic neighborhoods. Mr. Meruelo owns and manages over 1,000 residential units and over 20 retail units and has overseen over 15 developments. He established La Pizza Loca, in 1986. Since 1999, Mr. Meruelo has focused his endeavors on the construction industry and, through Meruelo Enterprises, owns a number of established Southern California utility construction contractors including Herman Weissker Inc., Doty Bros. Equipment Company and Tidwell Excavating. He serves as the Chairman of Herman Weissker, Inc. He has been a Director of William Lyon Homes since May 10, 2004. Mr. Meruelo serves as a Director of ExaDigm, Inc., and Commercial Bank of California.

• Admin

The Business Week bio (link in my first post)...Alex Meruelo serves as the Chief Executive Officer and President of Meruelo Enterprises Inc., Cantamar Property Management Inc., and La Pizza Loca Inc. Mr. Meruelo has invested extensively in residential and commercial real estate throughout Southern California since 1987, primarily in Hispanic neighborhoods. Mr. Meruelo owns and manages over 1,000 residential units and over 20 retail units and has overseen over 15 developments. He established La Pizza Loca, in 1986. Since 1999, Mr. Meruelo has focused his endeavors on the construction industry and, through Meruelo Enterprises, owns a number of established Southern California utility construction contractors including Herman Weissker Inc., Doty Bros. Equipment Company and Tidwell Excavating. He serves as the Chairman of Herman Weissker, Inc. He has been a Director of William Lyon Homes since May 10, 2004. Mr. Meruelo serves as a Director of ExaDigm, Inc., and Commercial Bank of California.

I have been searching for his net worth but have not been able to find it. Maybe as the deal gets done and more articles are written about it and him it will come up how much he is worth

alright! fellow LA Hawks fan! thought i was all alone in my principles...lol. but is pizza loca any good?

I actually tried La Pizza Loca one night and sadly it's not much better than Little Caesar's. Still, people are looking for deals and getting a large pizza for $5 will sell just about anywhere.