• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Windows 8

capstone21

• Premium Member

I've learned to stop making predictions about what tech products would catch on. I thought Vista would be a smash hit (I really liked it, personally) and that the iPad wouldn't find a market. My first instinct is that this won't catch on. But there are people getting paid way more than me figuring out the marketing on this stuff...

• 2 months later...

I've learned to stop making predictions about what tech products would catch on. I thought Vista would be a smash hit (I really liked it, personally) and that the iPad wouldn't find a market.My first instinct is that this won't catch on. But there are people getting paid way more than me figuring out the marketing on this stuff...

Remembering I work for a very large software company. There is absolutely no buzz about this at all in our offices.

I believe I heard that with Windows 8 you can toggle it to look like Windows 7 (the more traditional look of Windows) but I could be wrong as I haven't done much looking into Windows 8. Y'all might as well get used to this because this is the near future design of not only operating systems but even search engines. This is a VERY similar look and feel to what Google is going to, which I learned from the Google team when they were training my team on Google Analytics/AdWords a couple of weeks ago and they showed us a sneak peak of it. BTW, if you want to see something cool (not the new search engine but cool nonetheless) check this out ... http://www.googlezeitgeist.com/en/top-searches

• Premium Member

My fiancee is a doctor and she wants to get a tablet PC that allows her to run a lot of web access programs that her hospital uses. The problem is that iPads and Droid tablets can't run all the necessary software (a lot of which are advanced Java-based stuff). I have similar issues accessing our court's electronic filing system using iOS and Android devices. And Windows 7 requires too much firepower to be an effective tablet OS.So the market for a Windows tablet is definitely there. The problem is that I really think Microsoft only has one shot left at this, kinda like Sega with the Dreamcast and (to a lesser degree) Apple with the iMac. And Steve Ballmer is no Steve Jobs.

Edited by niremetal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin

I dont know how Microsoft plans to excel (no pun intended) with this product as I don't see how it could possibly do anything but take away from productivity.How do they plan to hit the corporate market with this?

Why do you think it will take away from productivity? The entire concept of the Metro UI is to give you quick access to the information that you use the most. Once apps are built to take advantage of that, the metro UI should be a huge time saver as there will be less of a need to constantly shuffle your open apps to see what's new. Even without that it shouldn't cost any additional time.