• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My favorite prospect, Mr. Kendall Marshall.NBA peak Comparison: John StocktonRight now: Marcus WilliamsKendall Marshall is one of the best playmakers in the country. His ability to run an offense is amazing but I will go into depth on his fit, potential, skill, and how he will reach his potential.Here is where I start with prospects. Measurements- I am still waiting to his combine results but from what I got let's start.Range- Means the player in the NBA who's trait is similar.He is 6'4 which is excellent height for a PG.He is 200 pounds which is good weight for a 6'4 player.He is a strong PG, he isn't someone who is too strong but is a strong PG nonetheless.His wingspan is 6'4. That's very bad especially for defense. His lateral quickness has to measure off the charts to be a good to great NBA defender. Range: Stephen CurryHis first step is very good. His first step will get him at a parallel with the defender. That's great for leverage. This is vital for the PnR. Range: Steve Nash His second and 3rd step which is vital on the perimeter for isolation is average. He is likely not to be a threat in isolation situations. Range: Joe JohnsonHe is more quick than fast. More of a long distance type. Range: Joe JohnsonAverage speed. Range: Chauncey BillupsAverage explosiveness which is vital for attacking the basket. Range- Mike BibbyGreat body control, this is valuable for finishing and controlling the ball when physically pressured. Range: Jason KiddHe understands how you use his strength with the Basketball. Range: Jason KiddHis measurements are below average. He will struggle defensively and will be a below average attacker. Needs to be a very good or great shooter or he will need the perfect storm to succeed in the NBA.That's all the measurements for now. Will continue later...Shooting:Nice quick shooting touch from the lefty. Could be tweaked but so far it's solid. Range: Jason KiddBarely gets any lift on his jumper. That will be an issue on PnR in switches. Range: Z-BoNo consistent range. He can hit on jumpers at a decent rate. That's not good at all. Range: rookie Jeff TeagueHis three point shooting is average. Range: rookie Jeff TeagueSpot up shooting has potential. He could be effective early with this.As a HS player he was a 88% FT shooter but in the college, he was a 72% FT shooter. Lack of shots might be the reason for this one as his job is mainly to distribute.He needs serious development in terms of shooting. He translates as a poor shooter as a rookie. But he does have potential to be a solid shooter. He can become a very good spot up shooter from the 3pt line in a couple of years. Attacking the paint:This isn't as important for true PG's but it's important.He averaged 2.2 FTA with a 13.5 usage rate, that's more telling for playmaking than anything else but it tells me he is far more of a passer than an attacker. He is average at drawing fouls when you look at his usage/FTA/MPG.Most of his attacking is to create for others or a defender over pursued.Is crafty but needs to come up with a floater to get points when attacking.He does a below average job attacking the paint to score. Range: Anthony JohnsonHandles:Very good ball handler.Doesn't turn the ball overIsn't fancyFavors leftNo difference from left to rightDoesn't get rattle off the ballNever dribbles with his head down. Range: Most top tier true PG'sRarely picks up his dribble. Range: Steve NashHe will not beat you off the dribble.His ball handling speed is above average.Potentially he can be elite in this area by his ball security abilities.BBIQ:He is off the charts. Elite decision maker even as a college playerExtremely quick decision maker. This is vital for effectiveness as a player.His 13.5 usage rate with 9.8 assists is something Steve Nash does. Whenever someone has low usage rate and high assists totals, I look at it like rebounding numbers and how they got the rebound. Range: Steve NashHis Ast/T.o ratio and PPR is on a completely different level. It's fair to say look at his teammates but that stat is amazing. It shows how amazing he really creates at an extremely high rate.He understands where everyone is supposed to be and read breaks better than most prospects I've ever evaluated. In fact he and Machado are superior to PG's in the last 10 years in this area.His elite BBIQ and decision making gives him an unbelievable advantage on PnR. His issue is his shooting and lack of a 2nd and 3rd step. That will severely limit him depending on the personnel.He is so smart he is always two to three plays ahead.On defense, is BBIQ helps him a lot of help side defense and getting steals. He is able to get those right place and the right time steal.Elite feel for the game.Has the BBIQ to play in the NBA right now and be one of the smartest NBA players. Defense:By measurements alone, he's limited especially in this dribble drive and PnR era.He will be a liability on defense without question.His on ball defense is below average.His trouble staying in front of the better PG's in collegeHe has below average lateral quickness. This is vital for staying in front of defenders especially depending on your wingspan.6'4 wingspan limits him.He is so smart he is always two to three plays ahead.On defense, is BBIQ helps him a lot of help side defense and getting steals. He is able to get those right place and the right time steal.It's very likely he will need to be hidden on defense but in this era, easier said than done. He will never be a reliable man defender and will need help on the PnR. His team defense might make him better than you think but personnel is everything.Rebounding:He tends to get rebounds on defense to pushes the tempo.Poor offensive rebounder like most PG's.Good offensive rebounder.His BBIQ instincts help him out a lot on the glass.He will be a better rebounder in the NBA than in college.Passing:He is an elite passer in the NBA as a sophomore in college.He can make simple passes.He can make advanced passes.He can create lanes with passes.His court vision is full court.He can hit a player anywhere.He can run an excellent PnR.He can make every pass. No need to go into every type because he can make that pass.Great at lobs and outlet passes.This quote is from swishscout:

Kendall is a precision passer who plays unselfish and his top priority every trip down the floor is setting up his teammates. Has uncanny passing touch that’s on display when he throws a perfect outlet pass full court or lob over the defense into the lane for his intended teammate to finish with ease. Incredible awareness in transition and has his eyes up the floor at all times, hitting teammates in stride ahead of the defense with a “missile guided” pass (accurate and with velocity) for an easy finish. After receiving the ball after a rebound, turnover or made basket in the backcourt, his attention immediately shifts to the front court and finding a target down the floor to exploit mismatched numbers in transition. Is an expert at the wrap around pass around the basket and does a great job of dumping it off to his teammates around the basket. Picks apart zone defense with relative ease by finding open shooters or forgotten teammates in the paint that the D leaves open. Dishes the occasional careless pass and will force it from time to time, but he’s smart with the ball in his hands and plays under control. For how much he handled the ball and distributed, only turned the ball over 2.9 times per game. His turnover percentage was relatively low at 14.1 % this past season, but bound to happen when your expected to make plays. However, Marshall still dished out 3.5 assists for every turnover this season and averaged an outrageous 11.8 assists per 40 minutes his sophomore season. Sky high assist percentage among the best in NCAA basketball with 49.6% of his end result possessions being recorded as a helper. Most upper tier, true distributing NBA point guards tend to hover around the 30% mark or greater for assist percentage, and given this pattern to his play, not hard to tell he’s going to be a ‘pass first’ player all the way at the next level and should excel. Throws an impressively pinpointed and timed entry pass on the money for post players to make a quick move on and chest high on the perimeter for shooters to quickly release. Loves the one handed bounce pass into the paint and can get creative passing into the paint. Can swing a pass across court or into the paint without tipping off the defense or giving away the open man, and that will be a big NBA asset. Had ten plus assists in seventeen games as a sophomore which was just under half of his games this season. May be the best pure passer for UNC in the past decade, which is impressive considering they have had Raymond Felton and Ty Lawson in the past decade.

There is really nothing passing wise he can't do. He is top tier and will be in the same class as Nash, Calderon, Rubio, CP3, and Rondo in terms of passing.PnR:This is something I do for PG's.He has the court vision, BBIQ, passing skills, ball control, and first step to be a lethal PnR PG. His issue is simple and it's major. His range on his jump shot is poor. His jump shot % wise outside of spot up is poor. His 2nd and 3rd step is average. There is a great chance that teams will back off the PnR and force him to shoot or crash the screen and force him to drive. This is an issue. It will kill his PnR effectiveness. It will turn him into a Jose Calderon type.His only hope to truly grow fast into this is to have a PF or C who can set quality screens, understand the roll, have very high BBIQ, be able to shoot at a very high rate, and be athletic. That type of player can take the focus off of Marshall which will allow him to continue to create outside of the PnR.Overall, he will be an above average PnR player. I can see his PPS being at an adaqate level. In order for him to become elite early on, he will need an elite PnR PF/C or get a reilable jumper. It takes years to do that for many players, for some it never happens at all. Since Kendall has a low release, he will have issues shooting over defenders in the NBA. For fans reading, these PG's in the NBA are extremely long. Look at someone like Rubio who is 6'4 with a 6'9 wingspan. So Kendall adjustment with his shot will take time but luckly for Marshall, he has a quick release.Intangibles:He is a leader from all accounts even as a 20 year old.Understand his skill-setHard workerLoves to communicateHe has a below average scoring instinct. He did show when the game was on the line, he was going to do what it takes to put the team on his back.Always game plan to win and plays hard every game.He is the key to his team's success.Potential and What to expect:His potential is really based on his personnel.He has great traits. Elite court vision, elite passer, elite BBIQ, quick decision maker, very quick first step, can make every pass with high proficiency. He doesn’t pick his head up when he dribbles. He is the ultimate playmaker as a prospect. Somewhat like Ricky Rubio. Except Marshall’s potential isn’t nowhere near Rubio’s since Rubio is quicker, a lot longer which gives him great defense, and his fast handles which he uses to get to the hole.Marshall is different. His below average speed, average quickness, poor shooting, average explosiveness, poor wingspan, below average laterally, and average ability to draw fouls means he will probably be a liability on defense. On offense, with his skill-set, he can help a lot of teams but he will need to grow once teams adjust to him which might take a year. The best way for him to grow is with an elite PnR PF/C. That will help him as the PF will be the one who draws the attention and he can create for others as well. The average player in the PnR in the NBA is average at it. That means they either lack BBIQ, a jump shot, athletic ability, the ability to move without the ball in some kind of package. It’s extremely rare when you have someone who can do it all. He needs that to grow on offense or else he’s coming off the bench as a role player.Defensively, you must have a personnel grouping to cover his tracks or you will be in trouble. Someone must be able to protect the rim. Then someone must also be able to defend the PnR or else see Ramon Sessions. His flaws are big, such that he can easily be a role player off the bench just as easy as he can be a ROY and a potential MVP candidate in the future.In most places, he is likely to be a role player with potential to be a solid starter. A better playmaking, decision making PG who has intangibles and is a smarter Jose Calderon with worse shooting. Marcus Williams is a good comparison due to his common traits outside of the intangibles where Williams was JaMarcus Russell and Marshall is like Matt Ryan. But with the right personnel, he could be special and special fast. He could be John Stockton. So know your personnel.Kendall Marshall scouting scores in general:Measurements: 7Athleticism: 5Shooting: 6Handles: 9Passing: 10Rebounding: 6Defense: 5BBIQ: 10PnR: 7Potential: 7Potential quality Starter. Potential comparison: A better playmaking, decision making PG who has intangibles and is a smarter Jose Calderon with worse shooting.Kendall Marshall scouting scores in looking into the Hawks personnel:Measurements: 7Athleticism: 5Shooting: 6Handles: 9Passing: 10Rebounding: 6Defense: 6BBIQ: 10PnR:10Potential: 9Potential perennial All Star Potential comparison: John StocktonHis Defense went up one notch. His potential went up two notches. His PnR went up 3 notches. Al Horford is the one player who can make him much better as he makes Horford much better. Atlanta needs to find someone who can protect the rim if Josh is gone. With someone like Marshall, it’s critical to the team’s success.

With Marshall there was a couple of things I forgot to add.Very crafty on offense and defenseHe has to be more aggressive on defense when it comes to getting steals.He has good defensive fundamentals and plays hard each possession but he has to make more attempts to keep the offensive player honest since his tools and lateral quickness is a weakness.His ability to look for everyone when running the offense constantly is an extremely rare trait. Very few have it who have played in the NBA. This is something that can make his PnR supremely lethal if everything else passes. He takes every possession seriously, this is signs of a winner and championship level player at the PG position. Extremely crafty dribbler, think Stockton more than Rose.Shield his body extremely well to protect the ball when pressured.He needs to be a lot more aggressive scoring. It's understandable that he's not skilled enough to score a lot of points but his instincts on scoring need to improve. He is Rondo-esque but with even worse tools. Rondo was able to develop more of a scoring mentality because of his personnel grouping with the Big 3 which allow Rondo to develop his game overall. Marshall as a playmaking PG is a lot further along than Rondo at this stage but his physical tools are far behind the pack in comparison to the PG's in the NBA.In fact, I would be willing to bet Marshall tools ranks him at the bottom for starting PG's with Jose Calderon. With players like Westbrook and Rose, can Marshall start at PG and not be a true liability is extremely personnel based. This is a tough era because most of these athletic PG's also have high BBIQ. That's wasn't true for the first batch in the late 1990's.

Since I did this in one night I didn't double check it.Average speed is correct.

average ability to draw fouls means he will probably be a liability on defense

I threw this in at the last minute.means he will probably be a liability on defense.. is for the sentence but the average ability to draw fouls means... should be another keynote.I had some bad typos as well.

The John Stockton comparison is over blown. Stockton was cat quick, could take his man off the dribble at will, and could turn into a scorer at will.........those traits are simply missing with Marshall. Stockton was also a superb perimeter defender. Marshall is well below average defensively. Stockon was 5 tool player at the PG position and 1 of the 3 greatest PGs of all time (Stockton, Magic, Oscar). I don't think Marshall will ever crack the top 3 PGs of his own decade.I think Mark Jackson and Andre Miller are good comparison to Marshall in terms of BBIQ and passing ability for the ceiling of his potential. Without a doubt Marshall has that 6th sense your born with to play PG. Of course Marshall is no where near as good as Andre Miller was off the dribble and scoring off drives in the paint but to Marshall credit he is a superior perimeter shooter to Andre Miller.In my opinion Marshall's speed and quickness are well below average for NBA PGs and in today's game those 2 traits mean more then ever before. This makes Marshall a liability on defense. Heck, he was defensive liability at the college level. Luckily he had the longest front line in the NCAA with both Henson and Zeller to patrol the paint and cover for him at UNC. That is why scouts have Marshall all over the board with projections. Marshall is one of the most difficult players to grade in this draft. His athletic abilities are a 4 out of 10 at the NBA level but his BBIQ and leadership abilities are off the charts. I agree that he will be succesfull if surrounded by a talented roster but if you throw him on a rebuilding team then pass 1st PGs will struggle.In my opinion Marshal falls in the # 8 - #14 range in this draft.I see 7 guys as a notch above everyone else that and have the ability to be 5 tool players:

The John Stockton comparison is over blown. Stockton was cat quick, could take his man off the dribble at will, and could turn into a scorer at will.........those traits are simply missing with Marshall. Stockton was also a superb perimeter defender. Marshall is well below average defensively. Stockon was 5 tool player at the PG position and 1 of the 3 greatest PGs of all time (Stockton, Magic, Oscar). I don't think Marshall will ever crack the top 3 PGs of his own decade.I think Mark Jackson and Andre Miller are good comparison to Marshall in terms of BBIQ and passing ability for the ceiling of his potential. Without a doubt Marshall has that 6th sense your born with to play PG. Of course Marshall is no where near as good as Andre Miller was off the dribble and scoring off drives in the paint but to Marshall credit he is a superior perimeter shooter to Andre Miller.In my opinion Marshall's speed and quickness are well below average for NBA PGs and in today's game those 2 traits mean more then ever before. This makes Marshall a liability on defense. Heck, he was defensive liability at the college level. Luckily he had the longest front line in the NCAA with both Henson and Zeller to patrol the paint and cover for him at UNC. That is why scouts have Marshall all over the board with projections. Marshall is one of the most difficult players to grade in this draft. His athletic abilities are a 4 out of 10 at the NBA level but his BBIQ and leadership abilities are off the charts. I agree that he will be succesfull if surrounded by a talented roster but if you throw him on a rebuilding team then pass 1st PGs will struggle.In my opinion Marshal falls in the # 8 - #14 range in this draft.I see 7 guys as a notch above everyone else that and have the ability to be 5 tool players:

John Stockton couldn't take his man off the dribble at will.Stockton early on never looked to be more than a 10 ppg scorer. He couldn't shoot, wasn't that quick, and was undersized which is worse than Marshall. When he improved his shooting, he improved. To say he was scoring at will is some Smoove becoming Nique on offense type of silliness. He did it occasionally. More so rarely statistically speaking. This sounds like nostalgia 101.His had a quick first step but his 2nd and 3rd step was lacking in comparison to the better guards in the NBA.Stockton was far from five tools, Deron, Kidd, and CP3 are five tools. Stockton was a flawed true PG. He didn't have speed. He had average quickness, he wasn't a reliable shooter. He developed into the PG he became. He had no range as a rookie. Stockton was a fundamental defender and team defender. He struggled with his lack of lateral quickness especially early in his career. He also didn't have solid length.He more than made up with it with his BBIQ and his instincts for steals in time.I always felt Andre Miller was a Karl Malone away from becoming a legendary PG but he never got Malone and was always stuck with average PnR guys like Nene or no PnR guys at all. He really serious ability.Mark Jackson was more like Rondo, Bibby, and those types. He was methodical. Liked to run an offense and be a more of a game manager.Miller had a playmaking mindset but you can only do so much.To be compared to Miller isn't much different than Stockton. It's really Stockton without Malone. You develop less of course because you aren't in the optimum situation.Miller form consistency always prevented him to become a good shooter. He worked his tail off the to become an off the ball threat. He wasn't that when he was hooping with KVH with the Utes. He is still one of the best post up PG's in the NBA.His speed and quickness is average. No PG speed is way below average even Bibby's. Even old Bibby had some quickness, no PG quickness is way below average either. Average is what it is and yes, that's far from some of the speed and quickness demons we have today.He wasn't really a defensive liability at Carolina but you can tell he would be if Henson wasn't protecting the rim and Zeller wasn't such a good post defender. Hanson ability to protect the rim was huge for Marshall impact on the game.He's not really a hard person to grade or scout. He is just someone where personnel fit and groupings is everything. San Antonio is the master of personnel groupings. Teams like Atlanta and Washington severely struggle at it.A don't use five tools since that generally associated with Baseball scouting but I use the term elite. Stockton out of Gonzaga was not elite. He was a flawed true PG. Him and Scott Machado also closely resemble due to small school, adjustment to the NBA, NBA readiness, and underrated prospects. I don't think Machado will be a high impact rookie just like Stockton. I feel Marshall is more ready for the NBA than Stockton or Machado.I only have one elite guy. That's Davis. The rest are flawed in some ways majorly. Beal is my 2nd highest scored prospect.

The thought of Kendall Marshall playing for Larry Drew is hillarious. LD jr. left UNC because of Marshall.

lol, LD knew when he seen Marshall play, it was a wrap.LD wife will need to apologize though cause Marshall might save her husband ass and keep food on their table. Edited by nbasuperstar40

I will probably make one for Scott Machado but I need more tape.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hEz5gkT340I like this video, I think they did a decent job given a limited amount of film they had.

Mike S. on Kendall Marshall

Saying John Stockton couldn't take his man off the dribble is one of the most uneducated things I've ever read on this board. Sorry but I've seen him break down the greatest player ever, MJ, down off the dribble on multiple occasions and you'd have to be cat quick and incredibly skilled to do that to the guy in his prime. Comparing this guy's peak ability to arguably the greatest pure PG ever... Posted Image

Saying John Stockton couldn't take his man off the dribble is one of the most uneducated things I've ever read on this board. Sorry but I've seen him break down the greatest player ever, MJ, down off the dribble on multiple occasions and you'd have to be cat quick and incredibly skilled to do that to the guy in his prime. Comparing this guy's peak ability to arguably the greatest pure PG ever... Posted Image

I didn't say he literally couldn't take his man off the dribble. I said he couldn't do it at will. He wasn't cat quick either. He had a very quick first step and after that he could get hawked down.

Posted Image

Comparing this guy's peak ability to arguably the greatest pure PG ever...

Why not? Then again you are the same guy that try to tell me Boozer and West are better low post players than Horford so I don't really want to have this convo with you especially by your condescending attitude you are displaying so far.

I didn't say he literally couldn't take his man off the dribble. I said he couldn't do it at will. He wasn't cat quick either. He had a very quick first step and after that he could get hawked down.

Posted Image

Why not? Then again you are the same guy that try to tell me Boozer and West are better low post players than Horford so I don't really want to have this convo with you especially by your condescending attitude you are displaying so far.

Tell me what do you mean by he can't do it at will? Because I've seen him do it hundreds of time so it seems to me that he was able to do it at will. So you must be saying that the defenders allowed him to do it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

And yeah you're better off not starting the Boozer / West / Horford conversation as you were vastly (as usual) in the minority with your belief.

At will is what Deron, Westbrook, CP3, Nash, and Rose does. Stockton can do it but not at will.lol, the minority is much better when it has common sense, the tape, and stats by it's side. You just have a blind led of sheep. Just a week ago, you were on board with clown posters who wanted Gasol for Smith and Marvin. No GM even the ones who aren't fans of Smith would do that deal but the majority on here would. I seen the majority on here and I much rather the minority. We are the only fanbase who think Jamal is just as good as Joe or Teague is an actual PG. We aren't a smart fanbase, at least the majority.

Please get your facts straight. I was and still am on board with Gasol for Smith if we're not re-signing him. I would rather keep Josh than trade him for Gasol but I don't want to lose him for nothing either. And sorry but you're flat out wrong regarding Stockton and if you really believe he couldn't break down guys off the dribble at will then you should give up your scouting job aa you're in the wrong business.

Please get your facts straight. I was and still am on board with Gasol for Smith if we're not re-signing him. I would rather keep Josh than trade him for Gasol but I don't want to lose him for nothing either.And sorry but you're flat out wrong regarding Stockton and if you really believe he couldn't break down guys off the dribble at will then you should give up your scouting job aa you're in the wrong business.

Dolfan, I NEVER said he couldn't take his man off the dribble. I said he couldn't do it at will. BIG difference. I am just a supporter nowadays.I still say the Josh Smith/Gasol deal is the worst I've seen over the years that was a semi-serious thread.

Please get your facts straight. I was and still am on board with Gasol for Smith if we're not re-signing him. I would rather keep Josh than trade him for Gasol but I don't want to lose him for nothing either.

And sorry but you're flat out wrong regarding Stockton and if you really believe he couldn't break down guys off the dribble at will then you should give up your scouting job aa you're in the wrong business.

Dolfan, I NEVER said he couldn't take his man off the dribble. I said he couldn't do it at will. BIG difference. I am just a supporter nowadays.

I still say the Josh Smith/Gasol deal is the worst I've seen over the years that was a semi-serious thread.

Posted Image

And yes it's FAR better for the Hawks to lose Josh Smith for nothing than to trade him for Pau Gasol smdh Posted Image

Joker needs to stop playin around. Please, John Stockton was the man. He was quick all around. It seems like you might be a young cat and not watched a lot of 80's/90's ball. Stop comparing Marshall to Stockton. That's like the people who compared Harold Miner to Michael Jordan.....please, just stop it. I knew I should have stopped reading when you had all those topics on Hold the Mayo...ridiculous. I am with Dolf and coachx 110% on this entire thread. Wow. smh, just wow.