• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

15 Minute "The Dark Knight Rises" featurette

Plainview1981

Looks amazing. I'm a big batman fan, but I'm not as excited about this one as I was about The Dark Knight. Maybe because of the whole Joker thing...

I get the feeling we have more creative villain here. First the first time, we have someone that can physically match Batman.

Here are the excerpts from the screening...'The Dark Knight Rises' Gets Standing Ovation During Press ScreeningBefore it opens wide in the U.S., Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" has already become critics' darling. It has been reported that on Friday, July 6, the highly anticipated Batman film held a press screening which resulted in a standing ovation. Multiple critics had nothing but good words for the pic as they posted their positive reviews on Twitter and Facebook. "The Dark Knight Rises has just finished screening for the press and critics, receiving a STANDING OVATION!!!," film reviewer Lauren Hiestand wrote, as highlighted by Comic Book Movie. Another critic, Marco Gennuso, gushed, "If this does not break the mold and win Best Picture, no comic book movie ever will #TDKR." Tom McAuliffe, meanwhile, tweeted, "Just finished the screening of Dark Knight Rises...so much awesome...can't wait to see it again. And again. 9 out of 10 for me. I'd put Amazing Spider-Man at a 7.5 and Avengers at an 8.5." McAuliffe elaborated further, "The trilogy is greater than the sum of its parts, and for me the 3rd was the very best part of the whole story. Dark knight is a classic in its own right - it stands alone, but in this trilogy, and as a closer, this film exceeds. It's an ending that presents opportunity for thought for sure. Risky/tough story well told, brilliantly acted, great cinematography, awesome score." "To your original question - there are things I criticize in every film, but this one measures high on many measures. There will be some surprises but not big ones, the beauty of the film is how well it tells the story." "Tom Hardy was incredible as Bane, the storyline was fantastic. I think the Joker is far more iconic than Bane, with more memorable quotes, but this story was great, including Bane's origin. Godfather 3 never happened. Xmen 3 & Spider-Man 3 were awful, this film was the perfect final chapter in the trilogy." Additionally, The Dark Knight Rises Hype group on Facebook wrote, "As far as audience reaction, there were only 40-50 ppl in attendance (mostly critics), but there was applause and I leaned over and shook Michael Uslan's hand and congratulated him when his name appeared in the credits. I, myself, cried twice...once out of sadness and once out of pure geeky uncontrollable happiness." As the Caped Crusader movie kept receiving pouring compliments from the critics, Warner Bros. Pictures unveiled a brand new IMAX spot which focuses on Bane's attack to Gotham. Starring Christian Bale as Batman and Tom Hardy as Bane, the much awaited comic book movie will hit theaters nationwide on July 20.__________________

Guest DopeHawk

I am so incredibly excited for this I cant even explain it. Does anyone know what the deal with the IMAX version of it is? Is the whole movie in IMAX or just several scenes like the Dark Knight was?

• Moderators

To answer your question I have no idea what was and wasn't filmed with imax cameras.

I don't think that answers his question. Posted Image

I get you on imax, though. I have seen two movies in imax and don't feel a need to rush out and see another until the resolution is upgraded. I do enjoy the "surround" nature or space features I have seen on imax much more than the hollywood movies.

I don't think that answers his question. Posted Image

I get you on imax, though. I have seen two movies in imax and don't feel a need to rush out and see another until the resolution is upgraded. I do enjoy the "surround" nature or space features I have seen on imax much more than the hollywood movies.

Haha yeah I guess I didn't answer the question LOL.

Nature / Earth type stuff is awesome in IMAX but feature films are a waste if money.

Best is seeing the blockbusters like this in Dbox seats as those are well worth the money!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Saw it in IMAX tonight. Amazing and, I thought, well worth the extra $2 per ticket more than seeing it at a regular theater. If you're already shelling out $11.50 for a movie ticket, moving up to $13.50 apiece isn't that big a thing to me.Anyway, I thought it was a perfect way to end the trilogy. And I'm glad I saw it on a 100-foot screen!

Worst of the trilogy? Nah, I'd have to say batman begins is the worst....I actually liked this one, of course not as much as the dark knight but It was still a damn good movie.

I was very happy that Bruce Wayne/Batman wasn't saddled with a love interest the whole time. Bruce Wayne's brooding over Rachel was very tiring in The Dark Knight. The whole love triangle thing hurts that film a ton for me. Can't buy into it. Even Harvey Dent's transformation into Two Faced wasn't done that great for me. But the brooding was much more effective in The Dark Knight Rises.Cat woman won me over. I wasn't a fan of Hathaway as an actress, or as an attractive woman. Always thought she was strange looking. Not in this film however. The Joker is no match for Batman one on one, so it was nice to have a villain that can actually fight Batman. Gordon Levitt's character was a nice addition, but I'm not sure about the ending. I sort of hope it was a wink to the audience as far as John Blake's future role is concerned.Otherwise, the last 30-40 mins was great also. The middle part of the film wasn't great, but it was solid enough for me. So, I loved the first half and the last 45 minutes. I'd probably give it an 8.5/10 overall. I think it's the best one. But I think someone could do this series better. Caine gave his best performance is the series. He really had a couple of emotionally moving scenes.

• Moderators

I will say I enjoyed this more than I was expecting. A solid film on a couple of levels.

Cat woman won me over. I wasn't a fan of Hathaway as an actress, or as an attractive woman. Always thought she was strange looking. Not in this film however.

I was very not sold on Hathaway in this role but she is my favorite female lead in any of the trilogy after watching the film. That may be damning with faint praise given that you are talking about Maggie Gyllenhaul (sp?) and Katie Holmes but there it is.

But I think someone could do this series better.

Boy, I think those people are far and few between. I am a fan of Nolan's movies like Momento, Inception, this trilogy, etc. and think that a move to a different director would almost inevitably lead to a massive downgrade in the quality of these movies. Sure, none of them is perfect (how many comic book movies are?) but they are entertaining, at times legitimately emotional, and display some actual depth in character along with some actual acting chops. Good series and a worthy finale for my money. Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

I think the fact that Nolan managed to get Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman to sign on in supporting role shows how much confidence the best actors in Hollywood have in him. And I think the trilogy showed that confidence was more than justified. I seriously rate all three movies of the trilogy in my Top 5 all-time for comic book movies - in the same class as V for Vendetta and the 1978 Superman and better than any of the Spiderman, Hellboy, and X-Men films (to say nothing of Iron Man, which I just didn't enjoy at all).

Anyway, I thought it was a near-flawlessly crafted trilogy from beginning to end. True, I was not a fan of the romantic aspects of any of them. But to be honest, I can't think of a single superhero movie where I found a romantic subplot convincing. The only two that came close were the original Superman and the first Tobey Maguire Spiderman. The casting of Bale as Batman was a masterstroke. The tough part in casting a superhero is never casting the hero himself, but rather casting his "human" alter ego. The reason the first Superman was so great was that Christopher Reeve owned the bumbling, mild-mannered Clark Kent. Tobey Maguire owned Peter Parker (I still get chills when I watch the "there are bigger things happening here than me and you" scene). And Christian Bale effing owned Bruce Wayne.

Michael Caine as Alfred? Impossible to think of a better choice. Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox? Same deal. Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon? Ok, wouldn't have thought of it, but hard to imagine anyone else in that role now? Heath Ledger as The Joker and Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle? No one would have had either actor on the "long list" for casting their respective characters, much less the short list. But both fit perfectly. The writing was great and the overall "feel" of the films never made me think that Nolan was trying to go for too much (see: Green Lantern, Iron Man, X-Men 3, and the vast majority of other superhero films) or too little (see: Ang Lee's Hulk, or to a lesser extent the first two X-Men films).

I know it sounds like I'm being over the top, but as an aficionado of DC Comics, I thought that Nolan could scarcely have done better in his treatment of Batman throughout the trilogy.

Edited by niremetal