• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith nicknames himself ‘mid-range shawty’

PureGreatness

Atlanta Hawks

Atlanta Hawks: Smith calls himself a ‘mid-range shawty’

6:38 pm October 1, 2012, by Chris Vivlamore

Josh Smith may not hear the groans from the Philips Arena crowd when he squares up to take a 3-pointer this season.

Why? Listen to Smith tell it.

“You haven’t seen the roster?” Smith turned around a reporter’s question about his long-range shooting plans on a rebuilt Hawks roster. “We’ve got Kyle Korver, Devin Harris, Louis Williams, Anthony Morrow, Anthony Tolliver. Am I missing anyone? Jeff Teague. … So there we go. That answers that question. I didn’t even say my name did I? Call me mid-range shawty.”

Read the rest of the Article by Chris Vivlamore http://blogs.ajc.com...d-range-shawty/ Edited by PureGreatness

NOTE: League average from each range is about 38% FG. These are "Mid-range Shawty's" shooting numbers ( combined regular season + playoffs ) for each of his 8 seasons

2005:

10 - 15 FT: 20%

16 - 23 FT: 36%

2006:

10 - 15 FT: 29%

16 - 23 FT: 37%

2007:

10 - 15 FT: 18%

16 - 23 FT: 33%

2008:

10 - 15 FT: 27%

16 - 23 FT: 31%

2009:

10 - 15 FT: 17%

16 - 23 FT: 35%

2010:

10 - 15 FT: 31%

16 - 23 FT: 29%

2011:

10 - 15 FT: 27%

16 - 23 FT: 39%

2012:

10 - 15 FT: 31%

16 - 23 FT: 36%

At best, he's shooting league average every three seasons from 16 - 23 feet, and has never mastered the shot in that "floater" and high post range of 10 - 15 FT.

And the fact that he can't put the ball on the floor and raise up and shoot a pull-up jumper, limits his game from the midrange. His midrange game consists of shooting wide open spot up jumpers. He needs to purge the urge to shoot that shot from him. 4 shots a game is all he needs to be taking from the midrange. The rest need to be at or near the rim . . . period.

People need to just stop lying to this dude about him being a guy who needs to work on his midrange shot. No he doesn't. He needs to leave that shot alone, and take the ball HARD to the damn hole. Work on your post game . . . not your jumper.

Tell "Mid-range Shawty" to become "Short-range Shawty".

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I don't even know how to properly respond to this... He is basically saying that because their are shooters around him now he won't be taking as many three's anymore, but does mean the long 2's are gone too and his offensive efforts will be focused within 15 feet? I really hope he takes that next step to being great and moves his game to the paint.

As usual people are overracting

It's always an "overreaction" when it comes to Josh Smith. And the reason is because he keeps doing the same thing every year. And the dang coach doesn't help the situation ANY. I'll post the link again to one of the best topics on his long range shooting ( not even 3 point shooting ). I forgot who started this topic on here, but it was one of the best illustrations of what is holding Josh Smith back as a player. http://courtvisionanalytics.com/the-long-two-and-josh-smith/ It's not just the 3 point shot, it's that 20 foot shot that he also loves to take. That shot is just as toxic for him, as the 3 pointer is. Until he and the dang coach realize that, and do something about it, he'll always be on the outside looking in, when it comes to an All-Star berth. That's why people "overreact".

• Premium Member

This is YEAR 9. Other than becoming the focus of the offense (taking the most shots), nothing about Josh's game is going to change. He is who he is a player. What I'll be interested to see is if his efficiency will get alot worse due to him getting more attention from the defense.

This is what Ferry and Drew needs to be looking at. Look at what the other top PFs in the game do. These were the top 12 PFs in the game last season . . in no particular order.

- Josh Smith

- Chris Bosh

- Kevin Garnett

- Kevin Love

- Blake Griffin

- LaMarcus Aldridge

- Pau Gasol

- David Lee

- Dirk Nowitzki

- Tim Duncan

- Carlos Boozer

- Paul Milsap

Let's see how "Midrange Shawty's" mid-range shooting stacks up with what the top PFs in the league shoot.

10 - 15 FT

- Lee: 48%

- Bosh: 48%

- Boozer: 45%

- Duncan: 44%

- Nowitzki: 42%

- Garnett: 41%

- Gasol: 41%

- Aldridge: 40%

- Smith: 31%

- Love: 29%

- Griffin: 28%

- Millsap: 25%

16 - 23 FT

- Nowitzki: 52%

- Garnett: 48%

- Duncan: 47%

- Boozer: 43%

- Aldridge: 43%

- Gasol: 42%

- Millsap: 42%

- Bosh: 41%

- Lee: 39%

- Love: 39%

- Griffin: 37%

- Smith: 36%

"Midrange Shawty" takes more shots 16 - 23 FT than all of the guys listed above, but shoots the lowest percentage of them all.

But let's go the other way. Let's look at shots at the rim and what these same guys shoot.

AT RIM

- Griffin: 75% FG

- Millsap: 71%

- Garnett: 70%

- Smith: 69%

- Gasol: 69%

- Lee: 69%

- Boozer: 69%

- Aldridge: 69%

- Bosh: 67%

- Duncan: 67%

- Nowitzki: 63%

- Love: 60%

Out of everybody on these 3 list, Josh Smith is more like Blake Griffin ( athletically and with his inability to shoot jumpers ), than anybody else on this list. He's not KG. He's definitely not LaMarcus Aldridge.

But while Blake relentessly attacks the paint and plays around the rim, "Midrange Shawty" stays out in the mid-range and shoots jumper, after jumper, after the jumper.

In other words . . . as a poor shooter from 10 - 23 feet, Blake Griffin only took 333 of his shots from that range. Josh Smith took 430 shots ALONE from 16 - 23 feet, with a good chunk of those shots actually coming from 20 - 23 feet. And that's on top of the 113 threes he took in the regular season + playoffs.

Meanwhile, Blake took a whopping 514 shots at the rim, which is over 43% of his total attempts coming at point blank range.

Josh Smith? 363 shots at the rim, representing a little less than 31% of his total attempts.

Somebody of significance in this organization ( or one of his friends and family ) needs to be pointing out these numbers to him. Don't just tell him to have better shot selection. If you want the guy to get to the next level, TELL HIM THE TRUTH. STOP LYING TO HIM.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's not just the 3 point shot, it's that 20 foot shot that he also loves to take. That shot is just as toxic for him, as the 3 pointer is.

The 3's are much better shots than the long 2's.
  • Like 2

We all know Smoove is going to shoot jumpers so why are we complaining? Really why? What we should really be concerned is what PERCENTAGE of his overall shot attempts with be at the rim as apposed to mid-range shots. We don't want him to SETTLE for the outside jumper. If he can shoot at least 60% or more of his shots a the rim then we should be happy cause he not gonna completely stop. That's unrealistic. Even Lebron and wade shoot a few outside jumpers every game but still attack the basket.Also I hope he chills on those long 2s

Edited by PureGreatness