• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Collins comes out as gay

HawkItus

Props to him. Don't let people judge you because of who you are.

Agreed! Just because people don't agree with someone's lifestyle doesn't mean a person should have to live in the closet. So good for Twin!!

I wonder if any of our players knew, and just kept it a secret.

A lot of people have thought Josh was/is gay for a long time. Remember that video of him rubbing on Bibby during a timeout and Bibby freaking out about it? It wouldn't surprise me if there aren't at least 1 gay person on most teams in pro sports.

• Premium Member

Sothron if you have an issue with how I or AHF are moderating this site then by all means take it up through PM but please stop with this agenda nonsense. #1 I JUST NOW read this thread and of course I wouldn't have moved it before that. AHF has NEVER had an agenda against anyone here and if there's ever been a moderator who is 100% fair and balanced it's him. I am glad that AHF removed the political and religious aspects of this debate from this thread as this should simply be about Jason and coming out. I don't care if someone likes that he did that or doesn't like it, as long as they don't go into the political or more likely religious reasons for that in this thread then I welcome discussion about something that is such a big deal in pro sports right now. So with that said I'm not moving it for a day or two and besides someone else would just create a new topic here about it.

FYI I've left that Brooklyn Nets thread up throughout the playoffs so far so I'd hardly say that all non Hawks threads get moved.

All I'm asking for is for this to be treated under the same rules and conditions other threads have been held under. You still have a sticky about how non trade topics will be moved because homecourt is supposed to be only the current Hawks team. Is Jason Collins a Hawk? No. Then why should a topic about a non Hawk be allowed on homecourt when other topics are moved?

I don't think its a stretch of the imagination to see what is clearly a hot button political/religious/social topic by its very nature is going to generate posts about its very nature. Those posts were removed and stuck on another board. Even worse it looks like I was the one who created a thread on whatever forgotten board it was it got moved to and I certainly did not start this topic nor that one.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

IMHO, if Person X says that any topic pertaining to homosexuality is inherently political or religious in nature, that says more about Person X than it does about the topic.

This is a rather important event in pro sports. Collins is not like Amaechi because Collins will probably play again. Big bodies like Collins usually hang around the NBA until their late 30s, because teams always like to have at least one behemoth in reserve. Look at how long guys like Caldwell Jones, Herb Williams, Rick Mahorn, Olden Polynice, Sam Perkins, Mark West, etc hung around. It still was just 2 years ago that Twin basically was the key to beating Orlando in the first round - we rarely had to double team Dwight with Twin's 300 pounds driving Dwight crazy for 6 games.

Considering that that's the last memory most NBA fans have of Collins - him being the Hawks' resident Dwight-stopper - I'm not surprised the Hawks community is taking an interest in this story.

All I'm asking for is for this to be treated under the same rules and conditions other threads have been held under. You still have a sticky about how non trade topics will be moved because homecourt is supposed to be only the current Hawks team. Is Jason Collins a Hawk? No. Then why should a topic about a non Hawk be allowed on homecourt when other topics are moved?

I don't think its a stretch of the imagination to see what is clearly a hot button political/religious/social topic by its very nature is going to generate posts about its very nature. Those posts were removed and stuck on another board. Even worse it looks like I was the one who created a thread on whatever forgotten board it was it got moved to and I certainly did not start this topic nor that one.

Because this isn't just any random topic about a former player. This is a pretty huge deal, whether you agree with it or not. And AHF was kind enough to split out the non-general discussion into it's own thread for debate about the subject so I fully expect that people who wish to discuss that will go there. And sorry there's nothing I can do about what it shows as the 1st post in a thread. I literally have zero control over that. If you don't want people thinking you created that then by all means let that be known in the topic but I can't fix that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wonder why even post these types of topics if we're only expected to give the PC response.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Because this isn't just any random topic about a former player. This is a pretty huge deal, whether you agree with it or not. And AHF was kind enough to split out the non-general discussion into it's own thread for debate about the subject so I fully expect that people who wish to discuss that will go there. And sorry there's nothing I can do about what it shows as the 1st post in a thread. I literally have zero control over that. If you don't want people thinking you created that then by all means let that be known in the topic but I can't fix that.

I already said I didn't create the topic on the other board and was called a liar. I don't think I'm out of bounds for asking for that thread to be deleted or at least have it be credited with the correct person that started this topic here.

AHF removed the actual debate about this to another board. What exactly is anyone supposed to say in THIS thread other than espousing their own political opinion of "yay go gay rights" or "no this sucks" which is POLITICAL and has no place on this board? This is why I am asking for a political topic about a NON Hawk to be moved.

I wonder why even post these types of topics if we're only expected to give the PC response.

THANK YOU.

• Like 1

Can't say I'm shocked. I wonder is Jared gay too?

Jared from Subway? Not sure. Jarron like his twin brother? Well, if he is then that would shock his wife.

I already said I didn't create the topic on the other board and was called a liar. I don't think I'm out of bounds for asking for that thread to be deleted or at least have it be credited with the correct person that started this topic here.

AHF removed the actual debate about this to another board. What exactly is anyone supposed to say in THIS thread other than espousing their own political opinion of "yay go gay rights" or "no this sucks" which is POLITICAL and has no place on this board? This is why I am asking for a political topic about a NON Hawk to be moved.

I did all that I could do by putting a note in the thread on the political board that you weren't the creator of the topic. That's all that I can do. I'm not going to delete that topic all together as there is some good discussion on it. And that's the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned so please don't continue this in this thread.

• Premium Member

I did all that I could do by putting a note in the thread on the political board that you weren't the creator of the topic. That's all that I can do. I'm not going to delete that topic all together as there is some good discussion on it. And that's the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned so please don't continue this in this thread.

Thanks for adding the note.

• Like 1

• Moderators

All politically and religiously correct and incorrect comments can go to the Political/Religious section.

As for "Way to Go, Jason!" and praises/jibes about his Hawks career, that's why we're all still here. At least I think that's why.

~lw3

• Moderators

AHF, suns would have a lotta identicals on their team yes, but also I believe their GM is gay. Just thought he'd be one of the biggest supporters of twin.

Or was. FYI, he (not GM, technically, but CEO) left back in 2011. He's with the Warriors now as COO.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6948156/phoenix-suns-president-ceo-rick-welts-resigns

~lw3

Rathbun had a pretty nice tweet about it: the "only sadness with the story is that it is a story."

Good for Jason, man. That's gotta be incredibly tough for him even if he is probably on his way out of the league. Hopefully kids see him and feel like they can play sports no matter who they are growing up. Also really nice to see players like Kobe, Nash and even Baron Davis and Faried showing support as they aren't scrubs (to put it bluntly). I got a few friends I played ball with who are gay and wouldn't tell anyone (except me and a couple other buds) out of fear. Hope Collins and co. help erase some of the stigma.

Edited by TheFuzz

Also, just read that article. It was a good one. Jason always seemed like an intelligent dude to me but I'm still impressed. That article is really well-written. Much better than the "I'm told Jason Collins" stuff we get around here.

• Premium Member

Rathbun had a pretty nice tweet about it: the "only sadness with the story is that it is a story."

Good for Jason, man. That's gotta be incredibly tough for him even if he is probably on his way out of the league. Hopefully kids see him and feel like they can play sports no matter who they are growing up. Also really nice to see players like Kobe, Nash and even Baron Davis and Faried showing support as they aren't scrubs (to put it bluntly). I got a few friends I played ball with who are gay and wouldn't tell anyone (except me and a couple other buds) out of fear. Hope Collins and co. help erase some of the stigma

See first quote.